Eva's weight

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:16 pm

master0rolando wrote:dont you think Eva's height and weight are kinda trivial...theyre hardly important to the story at all...besides...since their size keeps changing constantly...it doesnt really matter...

Dude. It doesn't matter if it doesn't matter. This thread is about Evas' height and weight. NO HARASSMENT!
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

master0rolando
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby master0rolando » Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:33 pm

im not harrassing anyone...im just commenting...yikes

A tiger striped cat
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby A tiger striped cat » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:24 am

Sup dudes.
After some big-ass thinking I found a way to determine the weight of the Evangelions. And after that, I noticed I could do it in a tenth of the time. By the way:
I assumed Eva Units, without the armor, have the same density of the human body. They're human after all, although I had to pimp it up a bit since we must assume their frame, their bones and muscles are much hardened.
The body density is available, all I had to do was to figure out the VOLUME of the Evangelions.
The best I could come up with, was an old anthropology study in which some badass old scientist dude, surely one of those with handlebar moustache, proposed the idea that -besides the Archimede's body-in-water, since in this case is obviously impossible- the human body volume could be represented by a cilinder of the same height of the subject and with a radius experimentally measured.
Volume of a cylinder: V = h*pi*r^2
I used my height and my volume (found it on the Internet, volume for every shape of body is available) and reconducted to a mean value, then I reversed the equation in order to get the r.
At this point, it was obvious that h and r are directly proportional, so, knowing the two limit values of the Units's height (40m and 200m), I used the proportionality constant to get the r(min) and r(MAX) of the cylinders corresponding to the Evas' volume at min and MAX h.
Having both h and r, I calculated the volume:
V(min) = h(min)*pi*r(min)^2 = circa 964.20m^3
V(MAX) = h(MAX)*pi*r(MAX)^2 = circa 120'525.63m^3
Then I proceeded to calculate the mass multiplying by the density of the body.

MASS OF THE BODY OF AN EVANGELION UNIT

m(min) = 949'737 kg at h = 40
m(MAX) = 118'717'747 kg at h = 200

Dudes that's fucking massive. But things get worse when you consider all the cyber stuff they carry around: biomechanical parts, armor, binders, etc.
I have absolutely no clue of how much could that stuff weigh, the best I can do is considering that some armors IRL can weigh as much as 20% of its user. But it's far too inaccurate to include that in the pseudo decent math I did until now, so you can figure it out yourselves, I'll limit myself to some indicative values:

min mass + gear = 1'200'000 kg
max mass + gear = 130'000'000 kg

Remember this is just raw math, with the few data available and just a rough approximation to real values and to hypothetical variations due to biological composition, shapes etc. etc., and on top of all that, I DID the math, but most likely Anno and Sadamoto did not, it wasn't necessary, and therefore the values I found out aren't necessarily mirrored in the series by consistent physical observations.
I mean, my calculations ARE correct (well, at least formally, I think) on a mathematical point of view, however, who gave two shits while making the show. Probably a thing that massive shouldn't be even able to move, probably it would fucking crush 10 meters width of soil under its feet, however.
But a little consistence can be traced: think about the first appearence of Unit 02: she was stored in an aircraft carrier, whose mass we can assume (Wikipedia) is 80'000'000 kg. With a rapid glance at some frames from that episodes, we can easily assume in that occasion Eva 02 is at her minimum height of 40 (or little more than that), making her 1'200 tons heavy. This means more or less a seventh of the total mass of the carrier, and this seems acceptable, even considering the effect the Unit has on the whole watercrafts when landing on them after a jump.

That's my two cents.
Please if you spot errors/inconsistences, or if you come up with a better guess, let me know.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:49 pm

An analysis after my own heart.

I'm curious as to how you determined the radius 'r'. You didn't go into too much details there. Is there some kind of coefficient?

The higher estimate of max mass+ gear is too high as the maximum displacement of an aircraft carrier is only 100,000 tons at most. I'm actually inclined to think that the lower estimate of 1200 tons is closer to the mark. That's 12, 100 ton trucks.

I'd actually be willing to go lower to a nice round 1000 tons. Might need to double check my guesstimate figures though.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:55 pm

Are these metric tons or American tons?
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

EVAfacepalm
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby EVAfacepalm » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:26 pm

On the subject if Eva genders, I always thought it was weird how they were female, yet had those huge codpieces. I mean, are they for show or are the women inside confused?

Anyhow, on size, I put the height up to the head as 80 meters. Concept art for Rebuild showed that as the measurement to the pylons with the signature Eva slouch.
According to Seele, Tang is the ultimate form of life. I guess that means the astronauts are committing genocide all the time then.

A tiger striped cat
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby A tiger striped cat » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:25 am

View Original PostStryker wrote:Are these metric tons or American tons?

Sorry, Itafag here, we use exclusively metric units. It's metric tons, yes.

how you determined the radius 'r'. You didn't go into too much details there.

selfquote: "an old anthropology study in which some badass old scientist dude..proposed the idea that the human body volume could be represented by a cilinder of the same height of the subject and with a radius experimentally measured"
The volume of a cylinder is V = h*pi*r^2
since the h/r (or viceversa r/h) ratio is obviously constant, I used data from the average human being (weight and height) to figure out the numeric value of this constant coefficient.
In this way I could subsequently figure out the Evacylinder's radius knowing their height and knowing that there height and radius are directly proportional.

The higher estimate of max mass+ gear is too high as the maximum displacement of an aircraft carrier is only 100,000 tons at most

I'm assuming you know gainax stated the official variable height of 40-200m, right
although correct, your observations is not relevant, since in fact in that episode the Eva 02 was at her minimum standard height of 40m as I said, and therefore she did weigh as much as the lower estimate of 1'200 (or 1'000 as you said) , thus being consistent with real life physics.
Of course an Eva with max estimate specs would not be realistic in that situation, that's why in that particular episode they made her stay 40 m, while in EoE they were freaking 200 meters!

Aurelian
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Aurelian » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:54 pm

Is there any of you who are aware that women do not like to talk about their weight?
The Evas atlhetic skill is comparable to the one of a cat for that I would expect their muscles would weight much more than the one of your average Human; which means a body mass superior to the average human. Compact, hard, heavy and highly effective muscles.
Second factor, you 've two different version of Evas, the old versions are very developped on the top (chest, shoulders and arms) the rest of the body is rather thin and elongated, while the new versions have a proportion almost identical to a Human being.

You can have fun to add these factors for your calculations if you 've more time to kill. XD

A tiger striped cat
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby A tiger striped cat » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:17 pm

View Original PostAurelian wrote:Is there any of you who are aware that women do not like to talk about their weight?

You can have fun to add these factors for your calculations if you 've more time to kill. XD

Initially, I didn't take a woman's sensitivity about their weight into account, but now, thanks to your premium works, I have the constant terror of some towering, badass, human-like really pissed off evangelion ladies catching me and evirating me while staring at me with those scary scary eyes.
And yes, I've actually already taken those factors into account in my calculations (although very roughly, since there's no way to determine them accurately)

Aurelian
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Aurelian » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:48 am

"I used my height and my volume"
Tt is true that you're a tiger striped cat and not a Human . My mistake. ù___ù

Can you imagine the size of the sammish an Evangelion can cook for you? WouldrequireallthecowsfromJapan.

Unlike what was said by an user in 2006, I find this topic worth to get a "serious" answer. At least , much more than "How Rei would taste like?" or "Asuka and Mary gay sex adventures?" discussion topics. XD

A tiger striped cat
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby A tiger striped cat » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:46 am

I used my height and my volume

oh dude don't worry, that was for the calculation of another variable which I actually merged with other approximated data in order to refer it to the Eva's shape, with some proportions, it's the most correct possible, don't worry. I may have not described every single step in the process!

and yes, my answer is pretty serious actually! I browsed through tons of ancient Anthropometry papers and did a lot of math take everything I could figure out into account! and the results in fact are consistent with those of another guy who calculate them using a different (if shorter) method, so I'd say they're pretty accurate too, as well as consistent

By the way Rei tastes like disinfectant and bread fruit

Aurelian
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Aurelian » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:05 am

Your guess about Rei's body taste was close to what Reichu suggested before she closed the related topic en beauté. I think she said "she tastes like hospital".

Still amazed by the idea of maintening that amount of meat, bone, whatever to function.

BTW, an other trivial point, I do not consider the Evas being females, they seem to have both gender characteristics according to the list of organs they own that Reichu (the expert of Evas here) "extracted" from the anime.

A tiger striped cat
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby A tiger striped cat » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:31 am

well yes, they are asexual to me, since they lack any sign of sexual characters, both primary and secondary. but hell, they were genetically and biomechanically engineered to physically be war machines, they didn't need any of that dangling stuff. but you know, since they all gently host a woman's soul, we like to think about them as females. but yes, definitely asexual (or both genders).

about the maintening all that stuff to function, yes that's an interesting question indeed.
basic biology and geometry laws make any humanoid being on planet earth be exactly as big as we are. the existence of a humanoid that big is practically impossible on this planet.
first: it would need an incredibly hardened bone frame to support its own weight (and this we can suppose has been achieved by crazy E project technology, like reinforced nanocarbon turbodiamond ultramegaboneframe and shit like that)
second: muscle density should also be high like crazy, considering the unbelievable feats those monsters are capable of (and this, again, it's plausible)
third: volume/area ratio. this is a big concern. I don't know how did they deal with this. nor with blood circulation. but we do have a clue: the blood gushing out of wounds like BOOOOOM
fourth: metabolism. yeah, how do we fuel that ginormous baby. there is something we can easily observe: this things are HOT. like flaming hot. we see 01 blowing steam off of her mouth, like giants from shingeki. we know that units need to be cooled after deployment. these are all clues to the fact that metabolism in Eva units is fast. really fast. and really expensive, and since the volume/area ration is fucking huge, the heat builds up like crazy. we don't know how exactly them genius at gehirn and nerv made it work, but somehow, they managed to get all those giant muscle cells working with electricity. dunno how they made electricity-->umbilical cable-->cells, but deal with it.

all of these points are really impossible right now. and I'm not even very positive that this could even be achieved in 200 years from now. but what the hell. by the way I took the higher bone and muscle density in account, fuck yeah

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:29 am

Well, we don't know much about the biology of the Evas; it's entirely possible their biological systems run off Macguffium. Eva-01 regenerates an eye and an arm extremely quickly; in real life that would take enormous amounts of energy. Not to mention that they are cloned from Adam and Lilith, beings which don't obey the laws of normal science anyway. So it's entirely possible that their bodies don't follow normal biology, especially since this is from the realm of anime, where people can have elliptical irises and disproportionately skinny/large bodies.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

A tiger striped cat
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby A tiger striped cat » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:07 pm

In this case, the Macguffium or phlebotinium is in the mechanism or whatnot that allows the Evas' official energy source -electricity- to be converted in electrochemical energy, outer-inner cell membrane potential, inverted ATPase, proton force etc etc and all the lovley things we know about thanks to our biology classes.
It's definitely the electricity-->metabolic energy step that is all rubbed on with phlebotinium.
And that's probably the only use of phlebotinum on the whole matter of Evas' biology, so I don't even think that the fact that they are knock-offs of Adam and Lilith is played as a joker card.
It does seem, anyway, that Evas do have, at least in some part, a gastrointestinal tract, but most likely they don't need that, because they're umbilically "fed". Still, it gives a little bit more realism to the whole picture.

Yes regeneration takes A LOT of energy indeed. But we also see the Evas blow steam out, and that's a sign of high energy reactions. By the wy you need to distinguish between the eye repair and the arm regeneration. The first one was probably due to the mere Eva's supposedly plausible biology. The latter one has to do with angelic powers, as we clearly see the deployment of the AT field and hell, she's using an angel's arm as source of organic matter!
Well besides this angelic regen thing, it all seems pretty scientifically coherent, to me (of course, given that technologies such as tissue hardening and electricity to membrane potential process are available in that universe)

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”