How Evangelion SHOULD'VE ended

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Kurairush
Embryo

How Evangelion SHOULD'VE ended

•      
  •      

Postby Kurairush » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:21 am

After watching Evangelion with another person a few months back and after seeing the ending to the N64 game on Youtube (Couldn't get past the Jet Alone mssion. Curse you emulator and keyboard!), I've thought up a different ending, mostly inspired by the N64 game.
(Spoilered anyways.)
SPOILER: Show

The first half up until Asuka's struggle against the Mass-Produced EVAs.
Upon hearing Asuka's voice and fueled by Misato and Kaworu's deaths, Shinji gets up and goes into EVA Unit 01.
Before the "replica" Lance of Longinus could even be stuck into EVA Unit 02's head, Shinji grabs it and moves it away from Asuka. He gains control over it and EVA 01 goes into Berserk mode. With his mother's spirit by his side, Shinji brutally murders all of the Mass-Produced EVAs.

After that, he goes down into the area where Lilith is. Before Gendo can even begin his attempt to fuse with Rei, the Berserk EVA 01 kills Gendo. Since Rei can't be talked out of it, Shinji says farewell and kills Rei. Memories of her flow through his mind during this. Ritsuko and everyone else survives (except for Misato.) Third Impact averted.
Final scenes include Misato's funeral and Shinji visiting Yui's grave (and possibly Gendo's grave?)

+No psychobabble (The other person who viewed it with me thought it was too much.)
+Shinji mans up
+The world is saved
+Asuka lives
-Misato is forever dead

Feel free to disassemble and analyze it, I wrote this up a bit fast without sifting through the Evageeks wiki and stuff.

Melchior
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Melchior » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:39 am

While I agree in some regard - as I've always wanted Shinji to save Asuka, I realize that it is not in his nature to step up to this task. Doing something like this with his own will, not to mention killing Rei and Gendo considering how anti-death he is... Just doesn't seem like the right outcome.

That being said, if the rebuild series decided to do something like this, I'd be more in favor of it. However, the rebuild series gives me more of a ReiXShinji feel (even if that was stomped on in 3.33) and saving Asuka doesn't really fit in anymore. Asuka seems much more self-reliant in the rebuild series, especially when you couple her with Mari... I don't think Shinji will be as useful in this instance either.

In terms of the psychobabble... well, as difficult as it can be to understand, depending on your background, it's a necessary portion. Realizing all the things he does through this portion of the movie is what ties up then ending. The ultimate decision he makes is a direct result of this.

All in all, we're talking about the whims of a 14 year old... one without backbone, and durected by external influences. It was unfortunate that Misato couldn't convince him to approach Eva-01 with a little more ambition (to save Asuka), but, such is the nature of the character.

Kurairush
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kurairush » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:50 am

I remember watching GRArkada's review of the series and hearing him say that "Shinji starts out like a JRPG protagonist." But the difference is that Shinji never really "improves" or "changes". He remains a wimp forever and never tries to "man up". Now I could see him having trouble killing Rei, but saving Asuka has some sort of plausibilty. The Lance of Longinus replica is the only issue, since it actually broke through EVA Unit 2's AT field.

One advantage of the dub was the F-bomb added to Misato (failed) motivation talk with Shinji. If I was in that situation, I'd get in EVA Unit 01.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:53 am

Well, my first objection would be that Shinji couldn't get into Eva-01 to save Asuka because it was covered in Bakelite. Unless you can give Yui a legitimate reason to break out in time to save Asuka then Shinji can't do squat.

Secondly, I doubt Shinji would have much of a chance against the MP Evas, seeing as there are nine of them, and only one of Eva-01, and all of them are armed with Spear replicas and the S^2 Engine which makes them nigh indestructible. As a side note, Asuka's battle appears to be occurring simultaneously with Ritsuko confronting Gendo in Terminal Dogma- so unless Shinji develops superspeed there's no way for him to get down there in time to save Ritsuko.

I also doubt that Shinji would be able to kill Rei- she appears to have developed AT Field powers on the same level of Kaworu (proven in Episode 24 when she breifly generates an ATF of the same magnitude as Kaworu's, and later in EoE when she levitates up to Lilith), and unlike Kaworu she may not be willing to just sit in Eva-01's palm as Shinji crushes her to death. Not to mention that it would take some time for Shinji to reach Terminal Dogma, as mentioned before, so Rei has plenty of time to get Gendo's Adam embryo and fuse with Lilith before Shinji arrives.

It is also important that Yui doesn't seem to object to starting Third Impact- she doesn't even try to fight the MP Evas once Shinji finally manages to get into Eva-01- and there is some implication that starting it may have been her intention all along (such as Yui's conversation with Fuyutsuki in the flashback towards the end of EoE). So unless she suddenly decided not to start Third Impact and tried to help Shinji then Eva-01 wouldn't go Beserk and start fighting the MP Evas, and Shinji probably wouldn't be able to defeat them on his own.

Shinji probably wouldn't "man up" even if he actually managed to save the day in the manner you describe, because he'd have been forced to kill Rei, which would probably bring back all his painful memories of Kaworu's death and leave him in a comatose state like he was at the beginning of EoE.

Also, you didn't factor in the JSSDF (the soldiers who were attacking Nerv throughout EoE). If Third Impact never starts, they'll probably keep on attacking Nerv, and it is made abundantly clear in EoE that Nerv would probably lose such a battle.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Kurairush
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kurairush » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:14 am

Yeah, that's what I wasn't so sure about. With the AT fields and all that stuff.
I guess it's near-impossible to have a good ending without Third Impact occuring.
Basically my idea is similar to the [Url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xxsnMkr1rk]N64 ending[/url], but without Third Impact happening.

The original psychedelic Third Impact + Shinji's time in psychological wonderland ending wins again.

Melchior
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Melchior » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:18 am

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:Secondly, I doubt Shinji would have much of a chance against the MP Evas, seeing as there are nine of them, and only one of Eva-01, and all of them are armed with Spear replicas and the S^2 Engine which makes them nigh indestructible. As a side note, Asuka's battle appears to be occurring simultaneously with Ritsuko confronting Gendo in Terminal Dogma- so unless Shinji develops superspeed there's no way for him to get down there in time to save Ritsuko.

Perhaps...
Butttt, Asuka did a good number on them by herself. While she did get nailed with the spear, she also ran out of internal power. Now, you could argue that it's irrelevant, but, if she didn't have to worry about internal power, she could have spent more time clobberin' and perhaps beat them into a Eva Slushy.
If Shinji could had arrived at a decent time, the two of them could have done a number on them... but, I really believe Shinji could have taken them out alone. When you factor in the power of the Eva, the unpredictable nature of Yui, and the connection between Shinji and Yui, I think it would certainly be possible.
My only concern is how much they need to be beaten before reactivation isn't possible... or, at least non-threatening. Something about a wingless, legless, and armless Eva doesn't seem terrifying at all.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:52 am

Clearly someone has been watching too much mecha anime and doesn't understand a tragedy when he sees it. I'm somewhat infamous around here for my bitching about Shinji's complete lack of effort in EoE, but that doesn't in any way mean that I think he should actually 'win'.

You probably think Breaking Bad is going to end well for Mr. White too, don't you? :facepalm:
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:58 am

View Original PostMelchior wrote:If Shinji could had arrived at a decent time, the two of them could have done a number on them... but, I really believe Shinji could have taken them out alone. When you factor in the power of the Eva, the unpredictable nature of Yui, and the connection between Shinji and Yui, I think it would certainly be possible.

If Yui actually agrees to join in with the fight at all, as I stated later in my post. To poor, mind-wrecked Shinji, fighting those nine monstrosities may be too much without his mommy.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Melchior
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Melchior » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:01 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Clearly someone has been watching too much mecha anime and doesn't understand a tragedy when he sees it. I'm somewhat infamous around here for my bitching about Shinji's complete lack of effort in EoE, but that doesn't in any way mean that I think he should actually 'win'.

You probably think Breaking Bad is going to end well for Mr. White too, don't you? :facepalm:

He deserves to lose for his lack of effort!
All I'm saying is there is a chance... if he actually made some sort of contribution other than allowing himself to be dragged accross Nerv HQ by Misato.

Kurairush
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kurairush » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:04 am

Actually the only mecha anime I watched before Evangelion was Big O (which had an odd ending too.)
Considering some of the points, Shinji and Asuka combined might have a chance of taking on the MP-EVAs.
But in considering a difference in the N64 ending was that EVA Unit-01 was "powered up" in the battle against the MP-EVAs, something that didn't happen until Asuka's demise.

The ending that exists now is sort of happy, since everyone can come back if they wish. But an epic final battle would've been more straight-forward and interesting than "Oh, let's put in the psychological stuff that we used in the EoTV, but change it a little." But End of Evangelion was meant to be an alternate ending. S
So why not end with a bang?
Last edited by Kurairush on Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Melchior
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Melchior » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:11 am

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:If Yui actually agrees to join in with the fight at all, as I stated later in my post. To poor, mind-wrecked Shinji, fighting those nine monstrosities may be too much without his mommy.

I think this reasoning applies to EVERY fight Shinji finds himself in... and actually, mama does most of the work in general. He basically sits on her lap while she does all the work, assuming the entry plug is a metaphoric lap.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:46 pm