Alternate EoE ending??

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
CoffeeFan
Embryo

Alternate EoE ending??

•      
  •      

Postby CoffeeFan » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:41 am

Ok so someone from Myspace told me about an two alternate ending for End of Evangelion. I found the second one to be quite disturbing (even for EoE) and was wondering if there is any validity to the claim and if any concept art was drawn. Heres the sceenes:

Originally Posted by Alternate Ending One
You already know the beginning of this one (a beach, petrified headless Evas, etc). Then, we see graves Shinji has made (it's stated by Anno it was he who made them). The names of all the main Eva characters are written on them, except for "Ayanami Rei". We then see Asuka's grave.

And Asuka's foot kicking it to the ground. (you can still see these graves in the actual ending... no names, but there is Misato's pendant nailed to one of them, and another has been kicked down)

We then see Shinji and Asuka on the beach... and you know that scene, too (but this draft demonstrates that Shinji and Asuka didn't just wake up there after Third Impact... they've been living here for some time... meaning they could be the only two humans willing to return, after all...)

When Shinji starts crying, Asuka was supposed to say something like, "Idiot. No way I'll let you kill me" ("idiot" was removed in the storyboards... and the whole line was modified, eventually).

Then, the ending music was supposed to begin, and the staff credits were to appear (Anno suggests a horizontal scrolling). We were to see Eva-01 lying on the Moon, and woman's hair showing from its broken mask (but her face remains unseen). Behind Eva-01, you could see Earth, entirely red. And the Black Moon, destroyed.

The camera goes to the sun, then to the stars.
Credits end.
"Shûgeki" ("the end").

Originally Posted by Alternate Ending Two
It begins like the previous one, but Asuka doesn't show up in the "graves scene".

We then see Shinji lying on the beach.

His right hand is holding a white one.

"I'll never see them again."

"It's better to think of it this way."

"I'm still alive, so I'll keep on living."

He squeezes the hand harder.

Then, he sees Rei (like in the actual episode and Alt. Ending One). We eventually see that there is nobody lying next to Shinji. Just a white arm without the rest of the body.

The camera then shows the full moon.

The ending credits are the same as in Alt. Ending One.

[url]http://forums.mtgnews.com/showpost.php?p=2470394&postcount=836[/url]

So anyone have any thoughts on the second ending? I would love to see something like that animated

ThroneofDravaris
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby ThroneofDravaris » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:51 am

...While I doubt the authenticity of these endings, the description of that second one is going to keep me awake tonight...
BEWAREOBLIVIONISATHAND

SEELE 08
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE 08 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:55 am

ThroneofDravaris wrote:...While I doubt the authenticity of these endings, the description of that second one is going to keep me awake tonight...

No it's authentic, it just never made it. Go over to ANF and do a search for it. Search for a "severed arm ending". There's plenty of discussion on it over there I believe.
I heart Encyclopedia Dramatica!
THAT WIKI/Aspergers

ThroneofDravaris
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby ThroneofDravaris » Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:41 am

Really? Wow, know I'm definately not going to be able to sleep...
Last edited by ThroneofDravaris on Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BEWAREOBLIVIONISATHAND

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:24 am

Yeah Shinji's just going to be wandering around earth with that severed arm. Later on he'll get all lonely and be like that guy in castaway with wilson the ball and start talking to the arm. He'll name it handy because it has hand, and maybe he'll draw a mouth and eyes on the hand and pretend to make it talk to him. But in the end he'll realize he's sad and alone and that he can only have one sided conversations with handy, and he'll really wish that Asuka was around so that she could make some ambiguous remark about possibly being sick or disgusted.

And that's what would end up happening if Shinji woke up on the beach with a severed arm.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:42 am

Thanks for this. I have a page for all the might-have-been endings, but only had the bald "Shinji wakes up holding a severed arm" description for this one. This will get added.

Probably under the heading "Bring me the arm of Rei Ayanami" :lol:

EDIT:

Reichu posted a spin on this in the Manga Discussion thread "How will it end? Give ME Rei's severed arm! :D"

Reichu wrote:How about, like, when Shinji takes Rei's hand upon rejecting Instrumentality, we go straight back to real life. Shinji lying on the beach, with Rei (apparently) next to him, holding hands (except the frame is cropped so you can't see if her arm is attached to anyone). Slowly, he turns his head, saying "Ayanami--", realizes that he is holding a severed arm, and screams his fucking head off. Multi-stage zoom-out (beach, Hakone region, Japan, world, stars) with his scream resonating throughout. Black screen. FIN.

Oh, wait. That would only work in film. Drat.

Good thing it didn't turn out that way, huh?
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:12 am

The quoted text on my space is cut from Wig's writing which you can find here:

Internal:
http://www.evamonkey.com/writings_wignall02.php

External:
http://www.angelfire.com/anime4/mdwigs/ ... uence.html

Shin-seiki
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:11 pm

^Beat me to it, EM. People should give credit, and cite the source, when they cut-and-paste others' writings. The original source, btw, was Oliver Hague, posting on Japan.anime.evangelion five or six years ago.

CoffeeFan
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby CoffeeFan » Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:58 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:^Beat me to it, EM. People should give credit, and cite the source, when they cut-and-paste others' writings. The original source, btw, was Oliver Hague, posting on Japan.anime.evangelion five or six years ago.

I'm sorry for not citing the source, but the truth is I didn't know where it had originated and was hoping someone over here could shed more light on the alternate endings. Thanks EM and Shin-seiki for giving me a full link to the source and leting me know who I should credit for the information.

Cheers,
Coffeefan

Alfonso
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Alfonso » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:03 pm

SEELE 08 wrote:
ThroneofDravaris wrote:...While I doubt the authenticity of these endings, the description of that second one is going to keep me awake tonight...

No it's authentic, it just never made it. Go over to ANF and do a search for it. Search for a "severed arm ending". There's plenty of discussion on it over there I believe.

...Wait, are both of them are authentic? o_o Even the first one?
[insert generic 'Asuka is hot' signature here]

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:27 pm

Alfonso wrote:...Wait, are both of them are authentic? o_o Even the first one?

Oh, yes. The ending we got arose because Asuka's VA just didn't buy the scripted "I won't let a bastard like you kill me!" line, according to an interview she did.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Alfonso
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Alfonso » Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:43 pm

Well, this new information, for me at least, certainly throws some new light on my opinions of the ending to EoE. If one of the original endings was indeed to show Shinji and Asuka, with hints of them being the last humans alive, (Or at least, with most of the main cast dead except Rei.) and the ending we were given did contain elements of that ending, (The graves, the kicked down grave, etc.) then does that perhaps mean that although it differed, the meaning of the ending remained?

Everyone is dead apart from Shinji and Asuka?

:<

Bah, I'm going to stick with my false reality of the 'Alternate Reality' portrayed in the Angelic Days manga. D: At least things were happy in a sense.
[insert generic 'Asuka is hot' signature here]

Legend of the Past
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Legend of the Past » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:24 pm

EoE's ending does show Giant Rei's hand soaked in LCL... a hint, perhaps?
New Signature Policy

It all returns to nothing...

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:32 pm

Alfonso wrote:Everyone is dead apart from Shinji and Asuka?

Not so much dead, as downloaded into the limbo of the LCL sea. It is possible that a lot of people have returned, far away from the ruins of Hakone, though the anti-Eden seems more esthetically satisfying. "It all comes tumbling down..."

Space Penis
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Space Penis » Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:14 pm

I would have preferred the ending with Asuka kicking down the gravepost, frankly. It would give a better sense of closure, I think.
Tell me, is something eluding you, sunshine?
Is this not what you expected to see?
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes
You'll just have to claw your way through this disguise!

ice reaper
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby ice reaper » Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:33 am

spooky.

yeah, i'd have to agree i'd prefer either of those endings to the one we got, again the closure would be nice, but they retain the patented evangelion mind fuck we all know and love. not a half-arsed "oh, so....what?" feeling that the used closing gave us. though it could be said that is a god thing, but i wouldn't.

"The divine fall silent as the freil plea aloud"

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:56 pm

Here's a virtual salute for sharing. I liked both of those, but the one they used was obviously the one that fit the message best. It's really sad, seeing how fucked up everything got when we were supposed to have our world back.

Light of the Dawn
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Light of the Dawn » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:25 pm

Mm, sounds nice.
Although that would be a meaningless end in my opinion, so I prefer the the original EoE end (which is better than those stupid "congratulations!" too). Anyway, I didn't find it scary or creepy...

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Timstuff » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:21 pm

Wow, both of those endings suck royally, and I'm glad they didn't use them. At least the way the final version of EoE ends leaves the possibility that things will eventually return to a state of normalcy. Maybe we should give Anno a little more credit before calling him an insane cynic, seeing as he chose to change the ending to a more "hopeful" one (at least compared to the other endings).

Was Yui/Rei's line about people being able to come back added later, after they'd decided not to leave Shinji and Asuka as the only surving humans? I must say, that second alternate ending would have left an extremely sour taste in my mouth. I'm very happy that they decided to go with the ending that they did, rather than something even gloomier.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:37 pm

Wow, I actually feel like I have a much better idea of Anno's intentions now.

Shin-seiki wrote:The original source, btw, was Oliver Hague, posting on Japan.anime.evangelion five or six years ago.

There's probably a lot of j.a.e. gems just waiting to be dug up, if someone's willing to go through the archive. Just please ignore some of my posts.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”