Fuyutsuki's office

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Allemann » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:20 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:he never does anything interesting in there so we never have to see it.

Boring paperwork and town council meetings. Too bad he's the most underused character in the show. I would've liked to see an episode concentrated on him.

BulletShoot
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby BulletShoot » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:04 pm

I would have thought the the reason Fuyutsuki doesn't have an office is because Gendo's is clearly taking up half of headquarters and the just wasn't enough room. It's also interesting to note that I seem to remember Gendo's office being considerably smaller in the episode 21 flashbacks.
Enjoying a Toasty Cheese Sandwich is my middle name.

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:39 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:It would also say a lot about their relationship, because of how peculiar it is.

I want to highlight this because it was the intent I always got. I also perceived Fuyutsuki's consistent position near Gendo to serve as a strong reminder that Futyutsuki is his subordinate. Remember, pre 2I Fuyu was a professor at college and Gendo was a student, their relationship was reversed from that of the main series. Then through political pull Gendo manages to usurp Fuyu as the superior. Their positions throughout the series, Gendo always sitting and Fuyu always standing next to or behind him, stands as a testament to that relationship, and to Gendo's character..

"Look, I've got this man who used to be above me on a leash.", if not for the viewer than for the characters.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:05 pm

Fuyutsuki IS Gendo's subordinate, but Gendo also respects him. When the two men speak for the last time, Gendo calls him "Fuyutsuki-sensei", just like Yui used to. I think Gendo probably always held Fuyu in high regard, and, once he saw that Fuyutsuki was just going to get himself killed recklessly chasing his ideals, he made sure he was safe alongside him and Yui instead.

While constantly standing could be viewed as a way to 'degrade' (or whatever) Fuyutsuki, another way to look at it is from the perspective of body language and symbolism. Standing "elevates" Fuyutsuki over Gendo, and he always holds himself with composure and dignity. Gendo, on the other hand, huddles over his desk, keeping most of himself hidden. The difference between the two men is stark.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:23 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:While constantly standing could be viewed as a way to 'degrade' (or whatever) Fuyutsuki, another way to look at it is from the perspective of body language and symbolism. Standing "elevates" Fuyutsuki over Gendo, and he always holds himself with composure and dignity. Gendo, on the other hand, huddles over his desk, keeping most of himself hidden. The difference between the two men is stark.

That's a good point, it all depends on what angle you look at the body language.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:22 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Fuyutsuki IS Gendo's subordinate, but Gendo also respects him. When the two men speak for the last time, Gendo calls him "Fuyutsuki-sensei", just like Yui used to. I think Gendo probably always held Fuyu in high regard, and, once he saw that Fuyutsuki was just going to get himself killed recklessly chasing his ideals, he made sure he was safe alongside him and Yui instead.

While constantly standing could be viewed as a way to 'degrade' (or whatever) Fuyutsuki, another way to look at it is from the perspective of body language and symbolism. Standing "elevates" Fuyutsuki over Gendo, and he always holds himself with composure and dignity. Gendo, on the other hand, huddles over his desk, keeping most of himself hidden. The difference between the two men is stark.

This is how I've always viewed it and how I portray their relationship whenever I write them.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:36 am

They definately have a good cop/bad cop routine going. I can't imagine the bridge bunnies even mustering up the nerve to speak if they randomly ran into Gendo on the train reading a newspaper.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:13 am

I think the choice has to do with composition more than anything else. Two guys sitting at a desk? Boring. But if Fuyutsuki stands, you get that cool half face visual of them in the same shot. Framed that way, Gendo comes off like the dominant figure. He's right in our face, distant and imposing despite being very close.

Radical Lanzar
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Radical Lanzar » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:23 am

Sometime during the episode in which the power goes out...

Misato: Look at those two, always composed.

Fuyutsuki: It's also getting hot.

Gendou: Ah.

What we didn't see when the camera pans away...

Fuyutsuki: Ikari, while we're off camera, about my office...

Gendou [not paying attention]

Fuyutsuki: It could use some renovating.

[Gendou stare]

[insert giant arrow pointing to bucket]

Gendou [gendou stare]
If I ever come up with something useful for my signature... and I kind of got lost.

DanYeomans
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby DanYeomans » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:53 am

You have to also consider that '21 makes mention to the fact that Fuyutsuki doesn't really trust Gendou all too well. I would imagine, despite the fact that this is in the past (not too long after 2I), that he still is suspicious of Gendou. This means that he probably is hovering over Gendou most of the time for his own assurance. I don't remember the office in question, unless it's the office in the University. But I do believe we do see him sitting in Gendou's Office at one point, implying that he likely borrows part of the office if he needs to do any paperwork (which while I'm thinking about it: they don't do very much paperwork or such for the heads of a militant organization).
*Gendou pose*
Life is like a box of chocolates; everyone dies and gets turned into LCL. That's what chocolate does, right?

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”