Human "Core" = Brain?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:13 am

Tripplepoo: "Angel" (the more inclusive version) probably refers to all life-forms that are spiritually descended from the First Ancestral Race (the first humans), and so includes all seven Seeds of Life and any human races (e.g. Adam's children, Lilin) produced by them. If this sounds unfamiliar, consult the FAR sticky.

Comparing Lilin and Adam's children is probably precarious. Both Angels, yes, but Adam and Lilith employed different options for rebooting humanity. Cores may have properties that make them specifically useful for mighty morphin' god-humans -- such that their downside as often-obvious "weak spots" is offset -- whereas they may not serve any functional purpose in the "microbe-evolved mortals" route.

In Adam, Adam's children, and Evas, at least part of the core's role is to serve as a discrete vessel for the soul (and for the S2 engine, if present: possible lead here for what the fundamental purpose of a core might be). Sufficient damage to the core causes the being to go "silent" -- spiritually vacated, and, in a sense, dead (though the cells might still be alive).

However, I don't think there is any evidence that Lilin have discrete containers for their souls. If they are killed, their souls stay put. We see proof of this when Rei melts down the slaughtered Nerv and JSSDF members in EoE to free the souls within. The impression I've always gotten is that the Lilin body in its entirety contains its soul.

BTW, Sahaquiel has a very visible core at the center of the "eye". Leliel's core is probably what can be seen shattering beneath its thin black body when Eva-01 starts to break out.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

User-iel
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby User-iel » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:56 am

Thank you for getting me to think about this. Here's a way to see it, though we are extending the source material using logic in this case. Does "hilarity ensue?"
The premise that Adam - offspring have a core, and it is the resting place of their soul, if fairly strong. In the only instances where an Adam - offspring doesn't display a core, there seems to be some bias towards getting some other core. Bardiel seizes an Eva core, and so does Armisael. Iruel may have been so inclined, but circumstances as presented don't let us see that play out. The formation of super functional data processing circuits as she 'grew' might be a similar mechanism, or a substitute.

What good does it do anyone to have a core? The soul can not only inhabit the whole body from a core, it can form or repair a body endlessly, subject to the rate of power available. If one has a core, one can (somehow) have and use an s2 organ, and have limitless power. The core is also excellently durable, excepting that the only 'weakness' is the comparison with the utter replace-ability of everything else. It is a refuge.

Lilith does not demonstrate a core to us. None of her offspring have one either, and the core in Shogouki is not something I can immediately accept as a contradiction due to the amount of surgical / cybernetic tampering she has been put through. Certainly doesn't leave her looking much like a clone of Lilith, though we are told that is the case.

This means that Angels don't always have to have a core from moment to moment in order to exist, as there are exceptions to that rule. But to keep thinking in that direction, the exceptions may be temporary phenomena. The utility of having a core must be met somehow, or the Angel can't do things as it must.

How does Lilith do some of her SoL duties? One of them is explained as fact. The storage and release of souls involves the Room of Guaf. But this isn't seen to be a part of Lilith's body. Is it a Metaphysical location in her Moon? Where ever we decide it "is," it is external.

And there is my conclusion. Lillim, from virii to humans, participate in an external core. That would be why souls don't dissipate. The soul is effectively inside the 'range' or 'bound' of the core as long as it is near the planet. As a mass, the 'body' of Lillim, aka the Biosphere, regenerates, adapts, has 'unlimited' power, and hides it's fragile and irreplaceable souls just as Adam and company do. The emphasis is the only difference, in that Lillim are not meant to be everlasting as individuals, but as a lineage.

Conclusion, if you will, is that the human core is the Hall of Guaf, Not the brain.

Azerik
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Azerik » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:16 pm

View Original PostUser-iel wrote:And there is my conclusion. Lillim, from virii to humans, participate in an external core. That would be why souls don't dissipate. The soul is effectively inside the 'range' or 'bound' of the core as long as it is near the planet. As a mass, the 'body' of Lillim, aka the Biosphere, regenerates, adapts, has 'unlimited' power, and hides it's fragile and irreplaceable souls just as Adam and company do. The emphasis is the only difference, in that Lillim are not meant to be everlasting as individuals, but as a lineage.

Conclusion, if you will, is that the human core is the Hall of Guaf, Not the brain.

This makes the most sense to me...the naming sense of the SoL seems to support this too if you ask me. Lilith being the Seed of Wisdom/Knowledge, it would make more sense for her creations to take a more pragmatic approach to the preservation of itself. And since ,according to information we're given, Humans are the 18th Angel then a collective external core makes the most sense, since preservation of the species as opposed to individuals would be its function.
I'll probably make a picture to put here later.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”