Is it possible Gendo got what he wanted?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:35 pm

View Original PostAshPhoenix wrote:I'm going to go with the idea that the picture represents Shinji's bonds with the people around him.

Doesn't explain why Kaworu is missing, especially given that Kaworu is probably still the person he loves most at that point.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

zuka
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby zuka » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:34 pm

Yeah. Nobody else makes Shinji blush as much as Kaworu.
Eva is the only anime I've ever watched, so I'm sorry if I don't get your jokes.

AshPhoenix
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AshPhoenix » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:31 am

Yeah, I see what you're saying there. I still disagree, though, because just because Shinji loved Kaworu doesn't necessarily mean that he would be included in the picture. First of all, Shinji only knew Kaworu for a brief period of time; second, he KILLED him (I mean, if you killed one of your best friends, would you seriously be able to face them like nothing happened? And for Shinji, he was utterly devastated; most likely he would only want Kaworu to forgive him for killing him); lastly, I bet Shinji would be a little uneasy around Kaworu knowing he was an Angel/Seed/whatever.
Ritsuko: It can't be...an Angel devoured an Eva? That's impossible!
Maya: That's strange. The target's identification signal is turning into Zerogouki's!
~Once again proving...you are what you eat.~

(After adding something sexual to a perfectly normal post) "Fixed." --Apparently everybody on this forum.
It is unnerving to be proven wrong, particularly when you are really right and the person who is really wrong is the one who is proving you wrong and proving himself, wrongly, right. Right?

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:57 am

I think all the picture represents is Shinji's with to return to some idealized, rose-tinted version of the action arc, when everything was mostly okay and he was actually starting to be more upbeat. He wanted to return to reality as it (never) was, but instead Rei drops him off in reality as it actually is to deal with the consequences of his earlier wish.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

AshPhoenix
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AshPhoenix » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:34 pm

Or it's a mash-up of all these things. Who says that a symbol only has to represent one thing?
Ritsuko: It can't be...an Angel devoured an Eva? That's impossible!
Maya: That's strange. The target's identification signal is turning into Zerogouki's!
~Once again proving...you are what you eat.~

(After adding something sexual to a perfectly normal post) "Fixed." --Apparently everybody on this forum.
It is unnerving to be proven wrong, particularly when you are really right and the person who is really wrong is the one who is proving you wrong and proving himself, wrongly, right. Right?

MaskedOmega
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby MaskedOmega » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:43 pm

Wasn't the EVA 01 that ate Gendo just an illusion that was made by the clone Reis?

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:10 pm

That "group photo" ( this ) is taken around the time of Episode 15 according to the EoE script, which could partly explain why most but not all of the characters are there.

Granted, it could also be seen as an image of what Shinji's hoping for the post-Third Impact future to be like (and/or maybe a nod to TV Episode 26), but it doesn't change the fact it's "mainly" a group photo.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:07 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:( this )

What is that next to Hyuga's head, and why is he so happy to bite it?

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:55 am

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:What is that next to Hyuga's head, and why is he so happy to bite it?

I think that's actually supposed to be a model rifle strapped to Kensuke's back.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:23 am

If so, it's a really weird thing to put there, and poorly drawn -- it seems to be right next to his shoulder more than strapped on. It goes up and up forever, taller than all the adults. I don't get it.

rhfxz1s
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby rhfxz1s » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:40 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:That "group photo" ( this ) is taken around the time of Episode 15 according to the EoE script, which could partly explain why most but not all of the characters are there.

Granted, it could also be seen as an image of what Shinji's hoping for the post-Third Impact future to be like (and/or maybe a nod to TV Episode 26), but it doesn't change the fact it's "mainly" a group photo.

I think it's supposed to represent Shinji's brief period of real happiness that occurred during the show. Of course it wasn't a perfect happiness, and he even realizes this in EoE, saying that he knows he'll be hurt again. That's the entire point of the show and movie though; he learned how to find happiness in a less than ideal world.

I don't think an interpretation of the photo would eb very different if it was a literal one or a theoretical one. The only thing I'd do differently is my interpretation of Rei. If it was a theoretical photo from Shinji's mind, Rei's hiding in the background could represent the way she was working in the background of Instrumentality, helping Shinji become comfortable with himself. But as a literal picture, it could just be that Rei doesn't give a shit if she's in the picture or not because well, she doesn't really care about most things.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:48 pm

rhfxz1s: I agree with your thoughts on how to take the photo literally versus theoretically...it makes sense to me. I also think that theoretically speaking, Rei's in the background as if fading away to show that she'll have faded away from Shinji's life but she will still always watch over him (consider that she seems to live on spirituality as Bookend Rei).
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Grimmjow
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Grimmjow » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:50 pm

I don't think so. If that scene with Eva unit 01 om noming on Gendo's head is any indication, Gendo didn't even get to be apart of TI because of Shinji's hatred for his father. Any of the most ideal realities for Shinji at this point are realities where his father doesn't exist.

sindy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby sindy » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:34 am

An Eva, an arc for the human soul embedded within, an eternal existence for that who is within.

A rather poetic description indeed, but shall we look at it from a different point of view...

Gendo mentions, right before the GendoNomming(tm) occurs, that he has always hurt Shinji, when he was around, it was better for him not to have done anything. That this will be his punishment.

If what you are saying is right and both Gendo and Yui are now together for eternity, can it just be, that that punishment Gendo reffers to is leaving his son with the experience he has lived with up until now. Without knowing a father's love? Aka to be hated and remembered with distaste?

While Gendo has always been depicted as a level headed man all of the series, he still turns out to be a broken and flawed man, who just could not let go of the only person he loved, who would risk everyone around him just to be reunited with her once more. Can it really be guilt?

Who knows. One thing I adore about NGE is that it is up to you to make out what the plot gives you.
Vrr vrr vrr...

GoGoGengar
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GoGoGengar » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:32 pm

(Obviously the next sentence will have spoilers)

I think so... Although he's mind was dazed and his method was arguable, in the very end he realized he was wrong and forgave Shinji for all he's done to him. I think he was "offered a second chance" for this. In the very end he realized what was really important and that's what mattered, at least for Yui

Isn't it awesome that we can talk like this about NGE? Instead of the other animes which is JUST punch here and a giant beam there. This is off-topic but I just had to say it

zpoop
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby zpoop » Mon May 09, 2011 8:12 pm

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:What is that next to Hyuga's head, and why is he so happy to bite it?

If it's anything I'd say it's Aoba's Guitar and Hyuga's giving off a more "Get that thing out of my face look than an "I want to bite it" look.

And spoilers ahoy for what everyone's talking about at this point but is it possible that Yui isn't stuck in Unit 01, floating around in space... forever?

One of the final scenes we get is of Rei/Lilith staring face to face with Unit 01 as it turns from the bright neon green and purple Unit 01 we all know to a dried up discolored husk. I always thought it could've been a weird way at hinting that Yui "returned" to Earth with everyone else but I guess that doesn't really make much sense considering the final dialogue between Shinji and Yui.

But this is Evangelion we're talking about for cripes sake so who knows.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon May 09, 2011 8:24 pm

zpoop: When Eva-01 is shown drifting in space, she's purple again (and growing hair, for some weird reason). Well, except for the patches of armor that ARE still gray.

さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Mon May 09, 2011 8:36 pm

I can't help but notice a skull face coming from the head... it gives me the creeps.

Edit: In fact, it is comparable to the "Mandalorian" symbol.
SPOILER: Show

I'm waiting for the moment Reichu photoshops it onto something cute and innocent.
Last edited by Stryker on Wed May 11, 2011 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

zpoop
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby zpoop » Wed May 11, 2011 2:10 am

Been a while I guess but yeah, that's creepy as all hell.
It's not the poop it's the mystery... behind the poop.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”