The End of Evangelion

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
na358_gs
Embryo

The End of Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby na358_gs » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:29 am

hi everyone im new comer here and i just finish watching the evangelion series. im not quite understand the ending so here are some of my question.

1.i am confuse about the purpose or reason of human exsistance, i believe the author is trying to explain it out to me but im not quite sure i got it right

2. is seele a God? if not who is God?

3. what is adam and lilith?

4.who/what is Rei Ayanami? in the end of evangelion whait is Rei doing? and in the end did she died?

5.there is one of the evangelion series that Rei has a very abnormal character,she seem to be nicer and happier more talkative. how does that happen? is she the same Rei? or an author created a new Rei?

6.why there are so many Rei? ^_^

thanks for answering

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:51 am

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

na358_gs
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby na358_gs » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:56 am

thanks Seele00TextOnly

i re-watch the movie and some how Shinji or the voice in Shinji's head seem to tell that 'the will to live' is the purpose of life, im not exactly sure.
i assume that when Shinji was in Rei incarnation and speaking to her, he express that he is not willing to die, but he is willing to live. so she let him out. i'm not sure it's correct though.

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:01 pm

To answer the first point more clearly, the First Ancestral Race created Angels and Humans because they were effectively going extinct. Angels are messengers in mythology, and everything they created, normal humans included, are Angels.

What is the "message" they are carrying? The torch they're carrying? "Humanity." Life, human life specifically, must go on.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

liquidus118
Zeruel
Zeruel

Re: the end of evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby liquidus118 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:25 pm

Regarding question 1: Do you mean in the Philosophical sense or in the stories own Universe sense?

na358_gs
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby na358_gs » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:23 pm

in the story sense i believe

ShinjiIkari
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ShinjiIkari » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:02 pm

I have a theory on the unspoken line by gendo that's in EOE and in my signature...
I am utterly convinced that he apologises to ritsuko.
hear me out...
She starts by saying "Im sorry, but when i installed the firewall i reprogramed the magi without telling you, a loving daughter's final request mother, lets end it together... (nothing)..."
essentially it doesnt work (the self-destruct)
and gendo says
"Ritsuko Ikagi... I truly..." (jap sub) "am also sorry"
"Ritsuko Ikagi... The truth is... (eng dub) "i'm sorry too"

"You liar!"
"POW!!!"

waddaaya think?
"SEELE has dispatched all nine of the Eva Series equipped with the S2 Engines? That seems like a bit much, unless. Do they plan to start it here?"
Yes... and it sucks!

Jornophelanthas
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Jornophelanthas » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:03 am

@ShinjiIkari:

Read this:
http://wiki.evageeks.org/Theory_and_Analysis:Gendo's_Silent_Words

It is by far the best analysis of any part of Evangelion I have ever read. It provides a comprehensive argument that Gendo said "I need you".

Feel free to disagree, but please also post arguments for why you would disagree.

edit: The link is not working correctly. Just copy-paste the entire line.

Shin-seiki
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:03 am

Here's the original post:
[url]http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?p=355299#355299[/url]
I actually prefer that people read that, since the wiki entry mangles the formatting of the screen-caps a bit.

ShinjiIkari
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ShinjiIkari » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:04 am

ehhhhhh...

I am still not entirely convinced. I believe that what Ritsuko types on the screen is directed at Maya simply to confirm what, until that time, was a rumor that Maya is hot for the boss. I'm not sure that a reference to the unspoken line would be made so much later in the story.

To get a little more in-depth about my theory, let me state this.

I believe that Gendo in saying (or rather not) "i'm sorry too". He was simply answering back Ritsuko's "I'm sorry,". After all, Ritsuko was apologizing for, what she thought, was going to be the death of she and Gendo by Ritsuko's hands (it turned out not to work as we know). Gendo then responds to this apology by apologizing himself to her for what turned out to be only Ritsuko's death by his hands.
She calls him a liar because she knows that Gendo really never cared for her and now that she has no use (just as her mother) he doesn't care at all about killing her and the apology is not accepted...

She instead calls him a liar because she realises what I have just explained.

Now for why I believe the line was removed in the first place...

No way you could ever have Gendo say that he is sorry at any point in the series. It opens up way too much debate.
"How could he feel sorry towards anyone when he says himself, ""I never deserved to be loved""
"He is a compassionate and sensitive man all of a sudden?"
"Well if he can be sorry, does he regret everything?"
"What else is he sorry about?"
"Did he apologise because he really does love Ritsuko?"

I think that Anno (and i could be way off here) saw that the line (while being harmless as the apology was just a form of response to Ritsuko's,"I'm sorry,") had many more implications if it was said than if it weren't and decided to remove only it...

Besides, they made the decision at the last minute with the voice actor there. Anno and the original voice actor are the only ones that truly know. This is why the removed it instead of replaced with a different line.

Wheeeewwwww!!!
So hows that argument?
Blow your mind?
Last edited by ShinjiIkari on Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"SEELE has dispatched all nine of the Eva Series equipped with the S2 Engines? That seems like a bit much, unless. Do they plan to start it here?"
Yes... and it sucks!

BornIn1142
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby BornIn1142 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:07 am

View Original PostShinjiIkari wrote:I believe that what Ritsuko types on the screen is directed at Maya simply to confirm what, until that time, was a rumor that Maya is hot for the boss.

I didn't even realize there was such a rumor before that scene.
"I'm afraid you can't create tragedy out of abnormal psychology." - Andrew Sarris.

ShinjiIkari
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ShinjiIkari » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:46 am

Maya always had a thing for Ritsuko in the series...
Always the obedient little worker for her.
Always talking her up and just, you know, crushing.

She even says in EOE at the beginning when they're all talking over coffee in the command center, "Whats going to happen to NERV and the Evas? I wish DR. Ikagi was here."
Maya totally loves Ritsuko and always has.
Yes... and it sucks!

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:14 pm

View Original PostShinjiIkari wrote:Maya always had a thing for Ritsuko in the series...
Always the obedient little worker for her.
Always talking her up and just, you know, crushing.

She even says in EOE at the beginning when they're all talking over coffee in the command center, "Whats going to happen to NERV and the Evas? I wish DR. Ikagi was here."
Maya totally loves Ritsuko and always has.

Isn't that the sort of thing one only discovers with 20x20 hindsight?
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

ShinjiIkari
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ShinjiIkari » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:27 pm

It doesn't really matter I was just using it as my point against the argument that the ommitted line by Gendo is "I need you," as Ikagi typed over Maya's shoulder later on...
look at my last post before that...
Yes... and it sucks!

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”