SOUL or it's just GENETICS??? i can't understand...

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Assasinate
Lilith

SOUL or it's just GENETICS??? i can't understand...

•      
  •      

Postby Assasinate » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:20 am

well... something goes into my mind when i've heard the full description of it... but before i start... can i ask a question??

is it true that yui's soul is bounded to EVA-01??? well if its true...is yui showed up to ikari while he's piloting UNIT 01?? even just likely an apparition??
Humans can easily explain the cycle of life because they witnessed it, and they can tell it's story,
But no one can explain why a human need to die because the people who witnessed it can't never tell the tale.

Six Winged Angel
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Six Winged Angel » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:09 pm

Yeap, it's one of the (few) things we can be totally sure about xP An evangelion cannot function unless a human soul is first bound to it, and Shinji's mother is bound into unit 1

And yeah, I guess you mean episode 16, Yui does appear in front of Shinji and hugs him
~But someday you will come to understand that on your back, there are wings with which you can fly on the distant future.

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:15 pm

Correct. Yui climbed into Unit 01 on it's test run several years ago, and she was absorbed into it just like Shinji was in that one episode.

Evangelions have no souls of their own, so they can't produce the AT Fields that are necessary for fighting the Angels. So every Evangelion has a human soul inside it, usually the soul of the pilot's mother.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Assasinate
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Assasinate » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:00 pm

ow... i see... so the soul thing comes up to MANGA and ANIME series though.... and thats the reason im get confused when i watched the rebuild...

apparently in rebuild, when shiji asked his father where his mother's body is... gendo said he didnt know...( but i know it's impossible that HE didnt know where she is)

and there's 1 scene where's EVA-02 ORGANIC part, w/c is it's BRAIN exposed... after been critically hit by zeruel

in my observation... it seems that they changed the SOUL theory and therefore they CHANGED it to GENETICS so we can understand deeply what an EVANGELION is...

but for me... its quite reasonable to compare the GENETIC theory than the SOUL theory because if you compare an evangelion in a simple basis, from its physical complexion, and to their attitude.. they are more likely an HUMAN in GENETIC MUTATED form, and you can't really compare an EVA to any kinds of animals exists,

apparently NGE is an SCI -FI anime, not an ANTI-CHRIST show
Humans can easily explain the cycle of life because they witnessed it, and they can tell it's story,
But no one can explain why a human need to die because the people who witnessed it can't never tell the tale.

jojojoker
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby jojojoker » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:39 pm

Well, if you mean "genetics" as in bio-organic, Eva's have always been like that. That's why you see blood, flesh, eyes, teeth etc. in the series when the armour plating is taken off. Think of the Eva's as half body and half soul - they need both to function properly. Then again, Shinji only saw Yui after he got sucked into Unit-01 so I don't think the soul would just show up unless there was a situation that called for it. Kinda like when Asuka sees Kyoko in EoE. Also, I think you should put the rebuild references as spoilers since this isn't the rebuild forum.
I'm quite alright; quite fit
Omniscient Council Of Vagueness: SEELE

Assasinate
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Assasinate » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:33 pm

View Original Postjojojoker wrote:Well, if you mean "genetics" as in bio-organic, Eva's have always been like that. That's why you see blood, flesh, eyes, teeth etc. in the series when the armour plating is taken off. Think of the Eva's as half body and half soul - they need both to function properly. Then again, Shinji only saw Yui after he got sucked into Unit-01 so I don't think the soul would just show up unless there was a situation that called for it. Kinda like when Asuka sees Kyoko in EoE. Also, I think you should put the rebuild references as spoilers since this isn't the rebuild forum.

eh??? is it bad to ask a serious question??? a thought this forum is a "In Depth" discussion???

and i know what you are saying... of course, as a flesh-made animal you need a body and a soul in order to become a what-you-called "living thing"

what im asking here is what really makes a evangelion operational from inside and out, because not all evangelions are created the same way as the other... you can't just put a soul into something just in order to make them move, all of it has its own purposes and objectives.
that's the reason why i make this post....

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:48 am

View Original PostAssasinate wrote:eh??? is it bad to ask a serious question??? a thought this forum is a "In Depth" discussion???

and i know what you are saying... of course, as a flesh-made animal you need a body and a soul in order to become a what-you-called "living thing"

what im asking here is what really makes a evangelion operational from inside and out, because not all evangelions are created the same way as the other... you can't just put a soul into something just in order to make them move, all of it has its own purposes and objectives.
that's the reason why i make this post....

He said that you should use spoiler tags to mention Rebuild related things but not that you're not welcome to discuss about this topic (actually it's a practice that has been dropped while Reichu wasn't around, lately she's become active a little but I suppose that it's only temporary; I'd say that we could drop this practice, I doubt that there's a significant number of people that have not seen the movies yet).
EVAs according to what we know from NGE are beings based on Adam but with an human soul inside; the soul is placed in the EVA through a contact betwen the souless EVA and a human (coincidentally as far as we know they're all woman, mother of future pilots); the way used to contact the EVAs seems to be different (Kyoko didn't disappear as Yui but was "simply" left insane (probably they tried to copy the soul rather than moving it, I know that it sounds crazy); and that's all.
Not all EVA seems to have purposes or objectives or at least they can't express them. Under normal circumstances EVAs can't move by themselves, their nervous system is cut at the height of the entry plug. EVA-01 is the only exception, at least in NGE it regularly activated without a pilot on board, probably its construction was different from the others (as well as its origins).
I suppose that it could look too simple, clone an Angel (engineered it a little since all EVAs are slightly different) and place a soul in a mysterious way but there's little of scientific about Evangelions, they're based on metaphysical biology and last time I checked there weren't similar university courses.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Assasinate
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Assasinate » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:19 am

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Not all EVA seems to have purposes or objectives or at least they can't express them. Under normal circumstances EVAs can't move by themselves, their nervous system is cut at the height of the entry plug. EVA-01 is the only exception, at least in NGE it regularly activated without a pilot on board, probably its construction was different from the others (as well as its origins).
I suppose that it could look too simple, clone an Angel (engineered it a little since all EVAs are slightly different) and place a soul in a mysterious way but there's little of scientific about Evangelions, they're based on metaphysical biology and last time I checked there weren't similar university courses.

ow i see... from your conclusion the best way to describe it is the EVA-05,
well because its just provisional(providing or serving for the time being only)
and from its mechanical parts... it seems that unit05 is not been properly funded so they just dispose it because its not merely belong to their plans after all...( and its also a waste of money )

and 1 more thing... what i noticed too is the earlier an EVA is created, the more secret it holds...like unit -00; they had a hard time in operating it, and who's soul is into it??

jojojoker
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby jojojoker » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:25 am

View Original PostAssasinate wrote:and 1 more thing... what i noticed too is the earlier an EVA is created, the more secret it holds...like unit -00; they had a hard time in operating it, and who's soul is into it??

Unit-00 is hard to operate because it is the prototype. Design-wise, it is supposedly inferior to the other units. You have something about the unknown soul thing but this isn't the first instance where Anno leaves things ambiguous. From what we know, the main candidates seem to be Rei I or Naoko...but neither had conducted a contact experiment for any soul transferals. I see how your theory fits in since both of the earlier constructed units have an air of mystery around them but I guess this was because they were built to serve the "top secret" specific needs of NERV/Seele. Although, I think Unit-04 is by far the most mysterious.

Assasinate
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Assasinate » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:50 am

View Original Postjojojoker wrote:Unit-00 is hard to operate because it is the prototype. Design-wise, it is supposedly inferior to the other units. You have something about the unknown soul thing but this isn't the first instance where Anno leaves things ambiguous. From what we know, the main candidates seem to be Rei I or Naoko...but neither had conducted a contact experiment for any soul transferals. I see how your theory fits in since both of the earlier constructed units have an air of mystery around them but I guess this was because they were built to serve the "top secret" specific needs of NERV/Seele. Although, I think Unit-04 is by far the most mysterious.

speaking of unit-04, does this unit is souless before it was delivered to nerv... or its has already had a soul but the angel who infects it just only dispersed the soul it contains?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:17 pm

Trying to reconcile Rebuild with the original series is a losing game (and should probably happen in the Rebuild forum).

In the series, there is strong implication (confirmed by the Classified Information) that the mother as a person is running on the EVA wetware in some fashion in EVA-01 and -02 (mother, child, red-dot imagery) with the dots (no pun intended) being joined up via Fuyutsuki and Yui's work in metabiology. Genetics doesn't enter the picture, but the link between the mother and the child she already carried inside her did.

EVA-04 was probably unformatted when the S2 organ was implanted; as for 03, pre-delivery we have this exchange

IKARI:
We'll select a fourth, then?

RITSUKO:
Yes, there is one child whose core can be prepared immediately.

where I expect the core implantation would have happened at Matsushiro, before activation.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:40 pm

View Original PostAssasinate wrote:apparently NGE is an SCI -FI anime, not an ANTI-CHRIST show

....What?
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:13 pm

View Original PostAssasinate wrote:apparently NGE is an SCI -FI anime, not an ANTI-CHRIST show

[URL=http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d135/soulassassin547/eva/remiqnet_4877.jpg]Image[/URL]

Keep in mind that the manga, the original TV series, and the Rebuild movies all have their own continuities.

Going back...

SPOILER: Show
With the exception of Unit-04 and maybe Unit-03 and the MP Evas, Units 00, 01 and 02 all have souls.

For further clarification, http://wiki.evageeks.org/ is your friend.

Please keep on topic; the question about Eva's effect upon established religion, censorship and conservatism should warrant another thread.
Last edited by soul.assassin on Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Assasinate
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Assasinate » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:57 am

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:....What?

well apparently... EVA anime series is aired here in ph in between 1997 to 1998 and it didn't get able to continue because the church somehow banned the show from being aired ( crap ) because of what they called "anti-christ" stuff into it
i dunno if until now they still preserving such a crap culture of not accepting other people's work just because they didn't like what they see to it

well thanks to you guys that i've get able to find some reliable resources.
im going to sign out in 1 month due to my final exams ^_^

jojojoker
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby jojojoker » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:29 am

Ahahaha sorry, that actually made me chuckle a bit.

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:22 pm

Yea...Evangelion has nothing to do with the actual religion of Christianity. It just uses the symbols and names for subtle Jungian stuff, and to generally make a point about how people tend to give religious grandeur to things they don't understand (like aliens from outer space that are pretty much like gods in how powerful they are).
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

The Triforce Fighter
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Triforce Fighter » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:26 pm

View Original PostAuraTwilight wrote:Correct. Yui climbed into Unit 01 on it's test run several years ago, and she was absorbed into it just like Shinji was in that one episode.

This made me wonder. How exactly is Asuka's Mum's Soul inside UNIT 02 when (from what I gather) she hung herself?
'Whatever happens, happens' - Spike Spiegel

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:29 pm

View Original PostThe Triforce Fighter wrote:This made me wonder. How exactly is Asuka's Mum's Soul inside UNIT 02 when (from what I gather) she hung herself?

The contact experiment with Kyoko Zeppelin Soryu happened before her death. However, only a fraction of her soul became a resident of Unit-02, the maternal fraction. Without a piece of her soul, Kyoko soon went crazy over the course of several weeks (I'm guessing), which eventually lead to her hanging herself.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:32 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:The contact experiment with Kyoko Zeppelin Soryu happened before her death. However, only a fraction of her soul became a resident of Unit-02, the maternal fraction. Without a piece of her soul, Kyoko soon went crazy over the course of several weeks (I'm guessing), which eventually lead to her hanging herself.

Which was possibly followed by the remainder of her soul being salvaged into 02.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:42 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:Which was possibly followed by the remainder of her soul being salvaged into 02.

I disagree here. [s]IIRC, there's little evidence supporting that Nerv is capable of salvaging souls from dead bodies[/s], and even if so, I doubt they'd need the remainder of Kyoko's soul. The point of only extracting her maternal side was to create stronger bonds between the Eva and the pilot; it was intended to happen, they just didn't expect Kyoko to lose it afterward.

If a split becomes necessary, I'm fine discussing this.

EDIT: Nevermind, I totally blanked about Rei I and II. Disregard the striked text.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”