[LAEM] Director?

The place for all of the old Live Action Evangelion Movie threads.

Moderator: Board Staff

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:26 pm

Oddly, that makes me feel a lot better. Except for the Batman and Robin mention. Thanks for opening old wounds, EM.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:18 pm

It's what I live for.

ShoKenju
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby ShoKenju » Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:48 am

coff wrote:
utero2001 wrote:don't want to be negative, but thats what Paul Anderson says about Alien vs Predator. I knows too much about the older films and loves them. But his film will still smell as bad as mortal kombat

I'm pretty sure the AvP movie is based of the computer games with the same name, not the movies themselves. So it really shouldn't be compared to previous Alien or Predator movies.

Sorry for going off topic. :oops:

no, theyre based off the comics, or rather its the prequel to said comics.

a first though was M Night Shaymalan(sp?). what do you guys think about that?
a man within the trap of one sided love is a man torn beyond his imagination.
-----------
Reason = Virtue = Happiness

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:15 pm

I don't think Shyamalan could handle a project this big, technically and financially, I mean. Plus all of his films thusfar have that signature slow, plodding, slit-your-wrist-to-get-to-the-point pacing, and I don;t know if I can stomach any more of that.

_get some help

gasoline238
Embryo

Postby gasoline238 » Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:50 pm

Here's a list of all the directors mentioned thus far:

Martin Scorsese - I've never heard of him. Info, please?
    Quentin Tarantino - I LOVE his work. But he kinda doesn't like the big budget CGI approach. In fact, he kinda hates it.
    Gueillermo Del Toro - I've heard the name, but know little about him.
    Ang Lee - Not after The Hulk.
    John Woo - No.
    Steven Spielburg - A possibility. My only concern would be that he likely isn't familiar with Eva.
    Terry Gilliam - One of two guys I've been really pushing for. He's shown he can excel at both sci-fi (Twelve Monkeys) and comedy (Monty Python).
    Ridley Scott - Number two on my list of favorites. A great sci-fi director.
    James Cameron - I liked The Abyss, but otherwise found most of his stuff to be too over-the-top.
    Sam Raimi - There's a big difference between translating a comic like Spiderman and a deep, multilayered Japanimation like Eva.
    Peter Jackson - As was mentioned earlier, he's busy. Then again, with the film's current progress, he might be available by the time the director is chosen. :lol:
    George Lucas - Has he written anything good since Indiana Jones? Even if he has, he's still too over-the-top.
    M. Night Shyamalan - I love his style of directing, but I must agree with Hexon in that it would be way too slow-paced.
    The Watchowski Brothers - Another possiblilty, since they don't seem to be busy and Eva and The Matrix share some core themes. However, I've somewhat lost trust in them after the last two Matrix movies.
    Kathryn Bigelow - K-19 wasn't bad. Otherwise I know little about her.
    Robert Roderiguiz - Again, I've heard the name, but know little about him.
    David Fincher - Maybe.
    Gore Verbinski - Inuyasha: Yes. Eva: No.
    Alex Proyas - He might work, since he can handle cg (IR) and character (Dark City).
    Michael Mann - Collateral, the only film of his I've seen, had some plot holes, but the character developement was simply fantastic. Definitely a possibility.
    Tim Burton - His movies are dark in a childish, fairy-tale sort of way, not the sort of dark we'd want in Eva.

This may very well be my longest post ever.

I'm going to bed now.

Dark FireStar
Arael
Arael

Postby Dark FireStar » Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:59 pm

gasoline238 wrote:Martin Scorsese - I've never heard of him. Info, please?

[/quote]After serious deliberations about entering the priesthood - he entered a seminary in 1956 - Scorsese opted to channel his passions into film. He graduated from NYU as a film major in 1964. Catching the eye of producer Roger Corman with his 60s student films (including co-editing Woodstock (1970)), Scorsese directed the gritty exploiter Boxcar Bertha (1972). Mean Streets (1973) followed in 1973 and provided the benchmarks for the Scorsese style: New York settings, loners struggling with inner demons, pointed-shoes rock meets opera soundtracks, and unrelenting cathartic violence. Mean Streets also featured Robert De Niro and Harvey Keitel, two actors who would help shape that style. After Scorsese directed Ellen Burstyn to a Best Actress Oscar in Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (1974), the trio was reunited for the dark journey of Travis Bickle in Taxi Driver (1976). The film achieved additional notoriety five years after its release when Bickle's (De Niro) concern for a teenaged hooker played by Jodie Foster inspired John Hinckley's assassination attempt on President Ronald Reagan in 1981. After New York, New York (1977) (which one critic described as a wife-abuse musical) and Last Waltz, The (1978), Scorsese released Raging Bull (1980). The biography of middle weight fighter Jake LaMotta earned two Oscars (Actor - DeNiro, Editing - Thelma Schoonmaker) and was later selected as the best film of the decade by U.S. critic gods Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert. Scorsese then explored fans as pariah ( King of Comedy, The (1983)), dark-comic dreams ( After Hours (1985)), and revisited the Hustler's Eddie Felson ( Color of Money, The (1986) with Paul Newman). Scorsese outraged some religious groups by attempting to portray a human son of God in Last Temptation of Christ, The (1988) before returning to more familiar territory with the Mafia in Goodfellas (1990). He followed with two films which were remakes, Cape Fear (1991) and Age of Innocence, The (1993). Besides directing and co-writing, Scorsese has also acted. It's interesting to note he played the gunman at the finale of Mean Streets (1973) and the cab passenger planning to kill his wife in Taxi Driver (1976). He also had a role in Yume (1990).[quote/]

there ya go
Don't ban me for a limited time! Either ban me for good or let me be. (I only hold grudges for a few years lol)

rip3mwk
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby rip3mwk » Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:17 pm

i realize that this topic has been out of service for a while yet this bit of info. belongs here none the less...

comingsoon.net tells us that there is an imediate sequal to KK in the works;
"According to Jackson, they've had to keep the sequel a secret, but the plans quickly came together while shooting the movie when some money that Universal was going to use for a third Riddick movie became available. (Essentially, Vin's loss is our gain!) The sequel will shoot back-to-back with production of the first movie, which just finished principal photography, with Jack Black, Naomi Watts, and Adrien Brody all returning. Andy Serkis will once again be performing the motion capture to be used to create King Kong's kin"

so i guess that completely shuts down the rumor about jackson directing. ah well, it would have been a long shot anyway.

if at all interested, a quicktime format video of this stuff is held here:
http://comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=9021

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hexon.Arq » Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:45 pm

"According to Jackson, they've had to keep the sequel a secret, but the plans quickly came together while shooting the movie when some money that Universal was going to use for a third Riddick movie became available. (Essentially, Vin's loss is our gain!) The sequel will shoot back-to-back with production of the first movie, which just finished principal photography, with Jack Black, Naomi Watts, and Adrien Brody all returning. Andy Serkis will once again be performing the motion capture to be used to create King Kong's kin"

How can this be? Kong dies at the end! Oh, Petey, what are you doing?

_get some help

rip3mwk
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby rip3mwk » Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:56 pm

arg this annoys me!

comingsoon.net tells us...

"Looks like Peter Jackson got us!

On Friday, Jackson announced, as part of his video diary on KongIsKing.net, that he had already started working on two sequels to King Kong and that "Son of Kong" would start production immediately. The footage included shots of a script for the proposed sequel, models and interviews with most of the primary cast as well as a Universal exec, talking about why they wanted to do the sequel, etc.

It seemed a bit too good to be true and the chosen day to announce the sequels just seemed far too coincidential and suspect, but who were we to doubt Jackson? Surely, a busy director like him wouldn't go so far just for an April Fools' Joke, right? Wrong!

The Hollywood Reporter announced today that sadly, the whole thing was just an elaborate joke done to coincide with April Fools' Day. Of course, most of the people who fell for it--including entertainment news sites like this one--probably thought it was a great idea, and it did help get us even more excited for Jackson's adaptation of King Kong.

At least he didn't play with our hearts and say that he had signed an agreement to direct The Hobit!"

WTF man, was that really necessary??

anatrok
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby anatrok » Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:10 pm

It's just an april fools joke...and it means he might be able to do the movie this damn forums about!

Winslow Leach
Adam

Postby Winslow Leach » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:14 pm

The Kojiro Abe shortlist of directors, taken right out of my blog. Warning: contains salty language.

Alfonso Cuarón (Y Tu Mamá También, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban)
My favorite director to come out of Mexico, Alfonso Cuarón has an incredible visual eye and his movies, like Tim Burton's are always triumphs in the production design department. He also works excellently with themes surrounding adolescents and for that reason, he'd make one fuck of an Evangelion movie.
Ryuhei Kitamura (Versus, Godzila: Final Wars)
The fight scenes in this Kitamura's movies are always real eye candy, leading to believe he'd make some really great Evangelion vs. Angel fights. Plus, I'm convinced Evangelion could use a Japanese director. Kitamura has a desire to work in America as well.
Shinji Higuchi (Lorelei, SFX director on Gamera trilogy)
Another Japanese pick, Shinji Higuchi is probably a perfect choice to helm this film. Why? Because he worked on the original series itself as a storyboard artist. He has only actually directed one movie: Lorelei: Witch of the Pacific Ocean, but he before that he was the best special effects director in Japan, creating amazing special effects footage for Shusuke Kaneko's Gamera series.
Tim Burton (Batman, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)
Another man with a great visual eye and whose movies boast an incredible sense of design. He also likes to make films about outcasts, making him perfect for handling the character of Shinji.
Peter Weir (Galipoli, Master and Commander)
Peter Weir would be a great director for this film, he does excellent character films like The Truman Show as well as epic war films like Galipoli and Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World. All he would have to do is combine the two.
Peter Jackson (Heavenly Creatures, Lord of the Rings)
This is Peter motherfucking Jackson we're talking about. He got the whole teen agnst bit down perfectly in Heavenly Creatures plus he's capible of excellent epic cinema judging from Lord of the Rings, again, like Weir, he'd only have to combine the two.
Ridley Scott (Blade Runner, Kingdom of Heaven)
Ridley Scott is the man for the job. Why? Because he's fucking Ridley Scott, the man who gave us Alien and Blade Runner. This project would give him an opportunity to harken back to his earlier days. Let's just hope, if he does end up helming this movie, that the studios let him release his director's cut straight to theaters this time.

As for my take on all the other directors mentioned in this thread:

Martin Scorsese -As much as I love Marty, EVA isn't really his style.
Quentin Tarantino - I adore Tarantino, but to quote him, he fucking hates CGI. He wouldn't touch this movie.
Guillermo Del Toro - I wouldn't be surprised if Del Toro gets the job actually, though as I said, Cuaron is my top director from Mexico. But Del Toro stuck very close to the comic books for Hellboy and might do the same for EVA.
Ang Lee - Not a bad choice, actually. The Hulk was okay in my eyes, but nothing great.
John Woo - Like Brian DePalma, he's a total burnout these days.
Steven Spielberg - Not a terrible choice. I mean, War of the Worlds was his best film in years. But he'd probably be too tempted to give EVA an illogical happy ending like in the case of WotW (which was it's only weakness).
Terry Gilliam - He might work. I mean, Brazil has some elements that remind me very slightly of EVA.
James Cameron - The most overrated director since, I don't know. I fucking hate Cameron.
Sam Raimi - He'll be too busy making the Spider-Man sequels.
George Lucas - I thought he redeemed himself somewhat with Revenge of the Sith, but that still had bad acting. Even A New Hope has bad acting. This guy may be good at epic visions, but he can't direct actors worth shit. And good acting is sadly what EVA needs most (next to a good director, that is).
M. Night Shyamalan - Another highly overrated director. Fuck him.
The Watchowski Brothers - I for one like The Matrix series, but like Lucas the acting and dialogue in their films isn't all that good. They would probably do better than Lucas though.
Kathryn Bigelow - Never heard of her.
Robert Rodriguez - Sin City was just a brilliant translation of comic to film, so maybe, just maybe, he would give EVA the same treatment. The only con with him (and I mentioned it in my Animerica column) is that he'd insist on using inferior digital HD to film the movie on. EVA needs to be shot on FILM, baby!
David Fincher - Not a bad choice at all, Fight Club reminded me of EVA in a few instances. He's not one of my top choices but I'll be happy if he signs on to the film.
Gore Verbinski - The Ring was a decent horror film that in a few ways surpassed the Japanese original. Pirates of the Carribean was okay, just a mindless summer popcorn flick really. He might do the same with EVA, so I wouldn't really want Verbinski doing it.
Alex Proyas - Not a terrible choice, I mean, Dark City was good, but didn't he direct I Robot? I heard that really blew and had almost nothing to do with Asimov's novel at all.
Michael Mann - I've heard of him, but have never seen any of his films.

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:58 pm

Three words:

Joss Whedon, baby!

Res Novae
Embryo

Postby Res Novae » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:46 pm

Michel Gondry! :D
"There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself."

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:01 am

Ed Wood
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Dascoo
Adam

Postby Dascoo » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:28 pm

This thread is ancient.

I don't know much about about directors, but I'd say Joss Whedon :)

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

Postby BobBQ » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:44 pm

Trigger's Elysium wrote:Ed Wood

I see your Wood and raise you a Boll.

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby cat42 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:45 pm

Obviously it has to be Matthew Barney.
:D
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:50 pm

BobBQ wrote:
Trigger's Elysium wrote:Ed Wood

I see your Wood and raise you a Boll.

Oh God, BobBQ. You just presented to me the very real possibility that Boll could direct the Eva movie. I think i'm going to hurl.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:19 pm

I'm pretty sure that Uwe Boll's days of trashing liked franchises is now over. Have any of you seen the trailer for Postal?

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

Postby BobBQ » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:15 pm

Timstuff wrote:Have any of you seen the trailer for Postal?

Good grief. Did あのファックタード seriously not see what's stupid about Muslim extremists (or whoever the hell they are) carrying H&K weapons?

Seriously, that's like giving Desert Eagles to North Koreans.

Return to “Live Action Evangelion Movie”