Currently playing 4: Guns of the Patriots

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:37 pm

Let's get this thread back on topic without turning it into a chatroom.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:52 pm

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:http://i.imgur.com/OeZfZ6I.jpg

Played a bit of Borderlands 2 with Paranoid
I think we talked more about anime than we actually cared about the game though :lol:
Borderlands is sort of a passive affair I guess

I like Borderlands 2, but ever since I hit level 35 I couldn't find any online matches to join, so I've just been relegated to playing solo ever since, which gets kinds boring eventually.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

ssguy
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby ssguy » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:38 pm

You know I've always been down to playing games with you guys, but so far I've only ever done one match in Borderlands 2 with Instrumentality One. How about some Unreal, Quake Live, Counterstrike or Rainbow Six? I suggest Quake Live since it's free. And since I've been playing it recently so I can completely and utterly destroy you all.

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:22 am

View Original Postssguy wrote:You know I've always been down to playing games with you guys, but so far I've only ever done one match in Borderlands 2 with Instrumentality One. How about some Unreal, Quake Live, Counterstrike or Rainbow Six? I suggest Quake Live since it's free. And since I've been playing it recently so I can completely and utterly destroy you all.

What we need to do is get everyone copies of Killing Floor, and then all of us go kill some Zeds.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:36 am

Yeah, fuck Nuzlocke. Just lost my starter AGAIN. Second Gym. Meditite. Bide. FUCK.

My old Calculus teacher was right: this shit is masochistic. Add that to my dismal luck and you get a very unpleasant Nuzlocking experience. Screw it, I'm just gonna do a regular playthrough of Emerald.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:18 am

View Original PostCJD wrote:What we need to do is get everyone copies of Killing Floor, and then all of us go kill some Zeds.

Left 4 Dead 2, man! It has katanas! (and it's a great game) Plus if we play a Versus match in L4D2 we could choose between whether to play as zombies or humans :devil:

Recently bought Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch for PS3. Hopefully it'll be good, quality Ghibli stuff, I'm just hoping I don't get bogged down by the RPG mechanics like I did with FFXIII-2

And I'm nothing like you

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:55 am

Unfortunately that seriously lowers your potential pool of games :(

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:Left 4 Dead 2, man! It has katanas! (and it's a great game) Plus if we play a Versus match in L4D2 we could choose between whether to play as zombies or humans :devil:

L4D2.... man, that brings back memories. Before I started playing DOTA 2 L4D 2 was my second most played game. I got it in the winter Steam sale immediately after it came out I believe, but it wasn't until the next summer that I logged most of my hours on it. That was 2010, so HOTD was airing at the time, and that show would get me in the mood so I'd end up getting on immediately after watching it. Helped that I had some friends that were playing it, too. No Mercy and Dead Center baby, those were my maps.

The thing with L4D2, though, is that it's hard to have fun in normal versus anymore. I played almost exclusively Realism Versus and that was the shit. So much more tense and so much more balanced for the zombies. It's hard to go back to normal versus after that.

I'd give it a shot, though. Should be more fun with bros than randoms.
Last edited by CJD on Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:06 am, edited 8 times in total.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse

Ænimal
Banned

Postby Ænimal » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:00 am

View Original PostCJD wrote:Unfortunately that seriously lowers your potential pool of games :(

most of the great ones, anyway; there are a few gems that have little to no violence, but the best games generally tend to find a balance between extremes

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Lavinius » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:28 am

--
Last edited by Lavinius on Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:28 am

View Original PostCJD wrote:
The thing with L4D2, though, is that it's hard to have fun in normal versus anymore. I played almost exclusively Realism Versus and that was the shit. So much more tense and so much more balanced for the zombies. It's hard to go back to normal versus after that.

I'd give it a shot, though. Should be more fun with bros than randoms.

I got the game last October during the Halloween sale after getting hooked on it during a free-to-play.

Yeah, I started to feel versus dry up for me a few months ago (especially No Mercy because I was briefly friended to this guy who incessantly sent me invites and never played anything other than No Mercy).Then I got back into Advanced and Expert Campaign mode, and it got pretty intense again. You're right though, I generally prefer to play with friends than with random people (particularly as randoms can be dickish sometimes and you sometimes get complete weirdos or trolls). I've never played Realism, I kind of get the feeling that it's not popular and I can never find any active games.

@LeaflameSD: You should try some of the Animal Crossing games if you have a Wii, DS or 3DS. They're pretty good life-sim games and contain no violence outside of occasionally getting attacked by bees.

And I'm nothing like you

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:44 am

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:occasionally getting attacked by bees.

Must...resist...urge...to make...Nicolas Cage reference....
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:42 am

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:I've never played Realism, I kind of get the feeling that it's not popular and I can never find any active games.

Realism Versus actually originally started out as one of the Mutations. I don't know how often they update it anymore but mutations were originally weekly updates where they'd do something different each time (might have been biweekly but I'm pretty sure it was weekly.) Realism Versus was the very first mutation and it was so popular that they included a poll the next week to see if people wanted it made into a permanent mode. The majority voted yes so they added it in. Even then, though, it was always less popular than normal versus, for obvious reasons given how much tougher it was for survivors, and as the game slowly lost players, as all games do, it seemed to, from my perspective, die out.

Realism in general is just way tougher for survivors, and when you add that to versus it's even more so. Normal zombies are harder to kill, there's no survivor highlights (Which is what makes realism versus so much more fun. Those extra 5-10 seconds it takes to find a survivor grabbed by one of the infected often make the difference between whether that survivor gets downed or not, and a single down can easily wipe a team), and witches 1 hit kill instead of down. (There's some other stuff for coop, like no survivor closets (meaning when someone dies on a level you can only revive them with defibs or wait until the next level), but those don't affect versus.)

Like I said, it all adds up to just a way more intense experience, and playing as the infected is way more fun. Going from Realism Versus without the survivor outlines to normal versus with them, it just feels like you're playing with a handicap. Plus, on Realism the missions take longer because of how careful you have to be, and more often than not no one makes it to the safe room so the scoring works out differently. Seems like on normal versus most of the time the survivors make it and the difference comes up to time difference or one lucky round on the infected's part.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:57 am

I might play Realism if I can find a good match...

Maybe that's what we should do: Evageeks Realism Versus :devil:

And I'm nothing like you

ssguy
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby ssguy » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:56 pm

View Original PostLeaflameSD wrote:Uh yes sir, I shall look into it. I have heard of those video games in the past.

Other good games would include Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, Professor Layton and Harvest Moon. And hey what do you know they're all on the DS.

For PC multiplayer games that we can play together, I can recommend Burnout Paradise (crashing cars into each other doesn't count as violence, right?), Trackmania (free!), and numerous puzzle and strategy games.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Dream » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:58 pm

View Original Postssguy wrote:Harvest Moon.

I have no idea why or how simulating the life of a farmer is good game material, but the Harvest Moon games are one of the fondest memories of my childhood.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

CX1329
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby CX1329 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:30 pm

I feel like playing Harvest Moon: Back to Nature now.

By the way, for a more realistic experience, try playing Farming Simulator 2013. I did, for all of two hours, but I eventually got both bored and overwhelmed at the same time, because it does its job a little too well. It's so realistic, playing it feels like work.
Sapientiam autem non vincit malitia.

ssguy
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby ssguy » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:16 pm

Just finished the Last of Us. It was ok. I really only enjoyed the combat, and even then it was too easy until the later stages.

Agentomega
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Agentomega » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:13 am

I've just been playing loads of World of Tanks lately, but I recently decided to return to Fate/Extra. In addition, I acquired Animal Crossing New Leaf on Friday, and I'm making decent progress there. Also, Nuke-kun started me on Katawa Shoujo. I laughed so hard when I recognized the pictures of the school (if only because I've actually seen the location XD)

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:I might play Realism if I can find a good match...

Maybe that's what we should do: Evageeks Realism Versus :devil:

Yes. ALL OF THE YES. You know... This gives me a terrible idea for a mod - Pilots vs. Angels.
Avatar: Rhoe Amariyo (© 2010-2014 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved. FINAL FANTASY X|V)
Karigane Shirou in LoL's RP - Rebuild of Evangelion: We Are (Not) Together
"'I was a nerd before it was cool' ~Agent" ~Lance of LoL

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:28 am

View Original PostAgentomega wrote:I've just been playing loads of World of Tanks lately, but I recently decided to return to Fate/Extra.

I was playing Fate/Extra, but then I accidentally erased all of my progress and now I can't be bothered to grind for exp again.

View Original PostAgentomega wrote:In addition, I acquired Animal Crossing New Leaf on Friday, and I'm making decent progress there.

Oooh, how far have you gotten? I think I've gotten pretty far subsisting on the money rock and selling stuff from the Island, but now I have to choose between building a second floor on my house or paying off the Reset Surveillance Centre so Resetti will pop out and yell at me whenever I forget to save, like he's supposed to.

View Original PostAgentomega wrote:This gives me a terrible idea for a mod - Pilots vs. Angels.

Maybe once the team working on the Half-Life mod is done they can get on with that. :devil: Seriously though, we should find a time for a good ol' fashioned EGF Realism Versus.

And I'm nothing like you

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby arkiel » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:41 pm

Been playing UnEpic. It's a pretty good Metroidvania game that lets you fuck goblin wenches.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”