Shin(ji)ko - WHY?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Halicat
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Halicat » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:17 am

View Original PostSynapsid wrote:Also doesn’t he look kind of like Ryo in some of the earliest(top part) concept art?

Now that you mention it, he does! Just ever so slightly, something about the shape of the hair does it, though personally his design always reminded me of Trowa Barton from Mobile Suit Gundam Wing, which is more than likely coincidental, so he doesn't bear any similarity to Kaworu in any way really ^^;

View Original PostSynapsid wrote:Which part of it exactly?

Mostly just when peeps started discussing if Kaworu had a vulva/vagina, a penis, both, or neither, coupled with that male-shaped body of his. If going by basing him on Ryo Asuka then

SPOILER: Show

He'd have a penis for sure, Ryo has sex with a girl in Violence Jack. That doesn't rule out possessing a vagina as well but it would certainly have been a major plot hole in the manga if said girl didn't noticed, Shinji could not have noticed in Kaworu though.

I think Kaworu was wholly male in his human form though personally, if he merged with Adam, Lilith or any other angel/Eva he could change his form to whatever he wished though [Maybe he did have a vulva as GNR/GNK who knows?] If GNR can sport vulvae anywhere on her body he could to! Being an angel I reckon he is both male and female and neither at the same time but in human form, just male.

Oh and I didn't know Akira was going to voice Bardiel as well. When I learned about Asuka's face-tearing scene in 2.0 I assumed it was Kaworu speaking to her, rather than Bardiel just with Kaworu's voice. Is that correct?

Synapsid
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Synapsid » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:49 pm

Late reply is late...
View Original PostHalicat wrote:something about the shape of the hair does it...
It’s was mostly the hair, and the expression he has in some of them that looked Asukaish to me.

Mostly just when peeps started discussing if Kaworu had a vulva/vagina, a penis, both, or neither, coupled with that male-shaped body of his.
Oh, that :sweatdrop: I didn’t know that thread was still active. Err, would there be a link to it? And is Asuka suposed to be physicaly human untill he goes into his angel mode? (kind of like Kaworu in the initial concepts)
I think Kaworu was wholly male in his human form though personally, if he merged with Adam, Lilith or any other angel/Eva he could change his form to whatever he wished though... Being an angel I reckon he is both male and female and neither at the same time but in human form, just male.
I like that idea, Kaworu seems to have been made with some sort of Angel/Human duality in mind, and the two aren’t meshed together perfectly; It would only make sense that other parts of his nature follow that as well. Kaworu, as he’s shown is pretty male in his nature, but Tabris is something else.
Angels aren’t supposed to have clearly defined genders, right? And apocrypha says that they can assume whatever they want, so there’s no reason why if GNK/Tabby-kun couldn’t be Tabby-chan if he wanted...I think. He is part of some sort of chimera, so there's no reason why he isn't going to have female traits in that state.
Oh and I didn't know Akira was going to voice Bardiel as well. When I learned about Asuka's face-tearing scene in 2.0 I assumed it was Kaworu speaking to her, rather than Bardiel just with Kaworu's voice. Is that correct?
Err, I’m not sure but unless if they’re intent on making Kaworu some sort of evil rapist, I don’t see why he’d have a part in breaking/violating Asuka. Then again, he does penetrate one of Ikari’s cores, while declaring that he’ll make him happy and his clones raped Asuka in Air so...
I might be wrong about it though but Akira has already provided a voice for what the audience sees as an angel, and he can sound creepy if he wants to, so they might have just thought that he could provide the most fitting voice for an angel.
Since the scene ends with Asuka attaching her face/angel, and goes along with everything else that was said about contamination, I wonder if she might not end up with the same dualism Kaworu has. Also, Bardiel is characterized as male so if he’s embedded in Asuka, it might have some effects. I guess that’s stuf for another thread.
[URL=http://s528.photobucket.com/albums/dd325/Synapsidia/EVA/?action=view&current=20100803c1.jpg]Image[/URL][URL=http://s528.photobucket.com/albums/dd325/Synapsidia/EVA/?action=view&current=bg_20100915221646.png]Image[/URL][URL=http://s528.photobucket.com/albums/dd325/Synapsidia/EVA/?action=view&current=201008201.jpg]Image[/URL][URL=http://s528.photobucket.com/albums/dd325/Synapsidia/EVA/?action=view&current=shintan161.jpg]Image[/URL][URL=http://s528.photobucket.com/albums/dd325/Synapsidia/EVA/?action=view&current=83187751.jpg]Image[/URL]
[URL=http://s528.photobucket.com/albums/dd325/Synapsidia/EVA/?action=view&current=gosu1.jpg]Image[/URL][URL=http://s528.photobucket.com/albums/dd325/Synapsidia/EVA/?action=view&current=j-kaworu011-1.jpg]Image[/URL]MangaKaworu crosdresses in some fanstuf, usualy because Shinji's "guy's don't love guys" coment.
It's a trap!|Saigo no shisha seitenkan
Genderbending is an important part of any fandom and must be taken very seriously. ZapalacX
If you ever say that name again, I will hunt you down and neuter you with a spork. Sailor Star Dust *cue Shinji's bloodcurling girly scream* LiLi
leave my innocent Shinjiko thread alone! Reichu Asuka would be the one going "SURPRISE BUTTSEKS, BAKA!!!!" while of course in appropriate dress and, *cough, gulp, snort*, with a certain strapped on accessory THE Hal E. Burton 9000

GothGirl95
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby GothGirl95 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:10 am

View Original PostSynapsid wrote:... or Kaworu snapping the necks of defenseless kittens.[URL=http://s528.photobucket.com/albums/dd325/Synapsidia/EVA/?action=view&current=hatukao.jpg]Image[/URL][URL=http://s528.photobucket.com/albums/dd325/Synapsidia/EVA/?action=view&current=hatukao2.jpg]Image[/URL]

This does look really scary of what Kaworu did to that poor kitten, :asuka_sad: but by the look on Fem-Shinji's face it looks quite hilarious. :hitthetable:
Kaworu Nagisa - The Best Hero Of All Time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:37 am

Okay i gotta say this thread has some of the creepyist pics ive ever seen in my life, esp the first one on pg 1. :gendo_kimura:
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

GothGirl95
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby GothGirl95 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:15 pm

View Original PostJoseph the PRPD wrote:Image
...I actually like this version of a female Kaworu.
Shocker.

So do I. He looks really cute. :asuka_happy:
Kaworu Nagisa - The Best Hero Of All Time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:33 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:Okay i gotta say this thread has some of the creepyist pics ive ever seen in my life, esp the first one on pg 1. :gendo_kimura:

It fits, given the creepiness of the general concept.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Shinji-ko's cup size

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:12 am

After looking at a few pictures of Shinji-ko (genderswapped Shinji) I am actually wondering why she is depicted with such small breasts. She's almost flat, while on the other hand what we've seen of Yui shows she has a much larger cup size, which could of course be explained as her being an adult woman, but on the third hand we have Rei, who is pretty much a Yui-clone, and who has quite large breasts for a 14 yo. Furthermore, Kaworu's opposite sex version is also quite well endowed...

By all means, Shinji-ko should be much bigger. :D

Artist laziness?

Salvaged and merged. Let's keep it classy, people. - NemZ

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:53 pm

It isn't entirely a terrible question. It's a conscious choice by artists/writters, so I do somewhat wonder about what exactly they're trying to say there, even if they don't think about it deeply. What's the symbolic worth of a small or large bust on a charecter? What does it say about them?
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Shinji-ko's cup size

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:13 pm

View Original PostShamsiel-kun wrote:what we've seen of Yui shows she has a much larger cup size, which could of course be explained as her being an adult woman, but on the third hand we have Rei, who is pretty much a Yui-clone, and who has quite large breasts for a 14 yo.

And maybe all of the Rokubungi women are flat. Paternal genetic contributions do have a say in bust size.

Furthermore, Kaworu's opposite sex version is also quite well endowed...

Kaworu doesn't have any single opposite sex version. (Tabris-XX, BTW, is an original character more than a true gender-flipped Kaworu.) Anyway, large breasts don't seem to fit Kaworu very well, since the character screams "LOOK AT ME AND HOW ANDROGYNOUS I AM".
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:51 am

A lot of the Shinjiko art is pretty much Shinji in a skirt, with his hair grown out a bit. Possibly this may be for recognition purposes; but there doesn't seem much of a reason for a quiet mousy type (with or without a yandere edge) to actually be all megalopolis. Or should that be vice versa?
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:36 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:A lot of the Shinjiko art is pretty much Shinji in a skirt, with his hair grown out a bit. Possibly this may be for recognition purposes; but there doesn't seem much of a reason for a quiet mousy type (with or without a yandere edge) to actually be all megalopolis. Or should that be vice versa?

After some more thinking, and some skimming of this thread and the previous ones (I missed all the pre-merge DRAMA :bawl: ), I actually wonder whether a genderswapped Evangelion would indeed play out as a typical shonen show. I fact, I believe it wouldn't.

Shinji-ko would be a shrinking violet due to a very cold mother-daughter relationship and assorted trauma, such as losing her dad early on. Her frustations would out themselves in freak-outs followed y murderous rage, while in other caes she would show she can actually act fairly selfsecured (but at times this would be followed by another freak-out).

Fem-Gendo ("Grenda"?) would...oh gods this would be so very bad and disturbing...be a jaded woman who places way too high expectations on her daughter, psychologically tortures her, and even when she actually did pretty well would burn her down anyway (probably behaving like a textbook case of some bad personality disorder). And secretly she would seem to be into young boys, of which she keeps a collection hidden somewhere.

Yuu would have been a caring father, who permanently traumatized his daughter by disappearing suddenly during a scientific experiment.
Actually, I think Yui might be really easy to genderswap...her motivations and personality fit a softer scientific guy pretty well.

Oscar, a hard-going, popular, self-assertive, extrovert guy. The perfect guy, cocky and boastful, or perhaps not? Hiding a childhood history of abuse at the hands of his mentally-deranged father, who could not find a woman "good enough" for him, and therefore deprived Oscar of a normal family. Of course Oscar will be broken in the most disturbing way possible to the shonen-otaku!

Rei-kun, a stoic, silent, cool and effective guy? I think not. Everything that makes Rei endearing to the otaku in the normal universe, would make Rei-kun into an antisocial and downright condescending dude (due to gender preconceptions), making the audience rage at Shinji-ko stupidity when she goes to save him after his Eva ejected the entry-plug.

Kaworu-ko would simply have no sense of personal boundaries. Essentially another easy swap.

Hikaru and Toya, a loving, slightly tsundere guy and his somewhat rowdy girlfriend. It doesn't end well.

The Mayor. A cool but slobby guy who has the tendency to walk around bare-chested and owns a meticulously restored vintage Ford Mustang (because an Alpine A310 won't do the job). Leave as is for the rest of the characterization.

Of course, the Evas each store a male soul. To compensate this, the fairly lanky male-ish outsides of the Evas are more curvy in this version - I imagine them as disturbing female teddy-bear-like mecha.
The MP Evas don't sport giant red lips, but mohawks.

AidenEldritch
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby AidenEldritch » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:55 pm

^

Incidentally, I am writing a fic along these lines, except with genderbent pilots only. f!Gendo would be creepy as all hell, let's face it...
I'd do a shameless self-plug, but it's in a rewrite currently.
"We are only what we are when there is nobody looking. That is if we are quantum particles."

CyberXIII
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby CyberXIII » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:00 am

Where's that pic detailing how the pilots are all just gender swaps of all the shonen cliche archetypes?
"Crapsack worlds and anti heroes have their place. Sometimes, they are very necessary. But an endless diet of dreary cyberpunk and dark fantasy won't do us any more favors than an endless feast of glurge. I'd argue that the cynical nature of these really hurt our ability to hope and work for better. It gets us to accept the hopelessness and jaded outlook of things as 'That's the way it is. I can't change it,' and stops us from fighting when we NEED to fight."

I am ask-shinji-ikari on tumblr.com. Feel free to ask me questions!

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:21 am

This one?

Legendary copypasta wrote:Image

The secret of Evangelion is that they took super robot pilots and reversed their genders
if Rei was male, he'd be the awesomely silent/cool/calm guy.
When he rushes that angel with an N2 mine under his arm sacrificing his life ... that is the scene where MANLY TEARS flow for A MAN'S WAY OF LIFE AND DEATH.
Asuka, if a man, would be an awesomely HOT BLOODED pilot. And pervy with his advances on Shinji, but a little tsundere.
And Shinji, as a weak little girl, as a girl, puts it into context. You'd be fapping furiously to Shinjiko every night because of her shy demeanour
And with girl Kaworu, Shinji x Kaworu would be amazingly hot.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”