Which character do you empathize with the most?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Tell me about your brother from another mother.

•      
  •      

Postby Killer Bee » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:40 am

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Isn't he a little too young to worry about that (if MasonFighter is really 18 years)?

Well, yeah. That's why I asked for clarification.

Shinji
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Shinji » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:29 pm

I'm like the one that tries to tell jokes and then there's an awkward silence where I'm trying to figure out if they didn't get it or if they just didn't think it was funny, or if they weren't listening. I guess that's kinda like Asuka whenever she's talking to Rei and trying to get a reaction out of her but usually it doesn't work.
It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!

Gamertag:Undead Safety

Currently playing Cod Black Ops: Zombies

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Allemann » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:54 pm

View Original PostShinji wrote:I guess that's kinda like Asuka whenever she's talking to Rei and trying to get a reaction out of her but usually it doesn't work.

Do you also slap people?

Shinji
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Shinji » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:21 pm

View Original PostAllemann wrote:Do you also slap people?

I've been known to keep my pimp hand strong
It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!

Gamertag:Undead Safety

Currently playing Cod Black Ops: Zombies

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:43 am

I relate to Shinji, I guess. But I empathize with Asuka.

GAP
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby GAP » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:12 pm

You recently rewatch the series and Shinji seems to be pretty much me, Rei in second, Asuka in third and Misato in fourth.
Fall into GAP! Guernsey Adams Pierre

tehprognoob
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby tehprognoob » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:00 pm

ASUKAASUKAASUKAASUKA

xuefranklin
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby xuefranklin » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:44 am

For me, it'd probably be Shinji. I don't often display my emotions and like Shinji, who thinks that he is only wanted because of the fact that he is a pilot, I also feel that way. In my class I'm usually known as the "smart one" and everybody only aknowledges me because of the fact that I help them with their work. I even feel the same way about my friends who don't even appear to act like normal friends. The only reason that my friends stick with me is because of the fact that I help them with their academic studies. otherwise, they wouldn't even want to be seen with me. I would be just another person in the crowd...

tehprognoob
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby tehprognoob » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:52 am

that's more a Rei and Shinji mix, or Asuka Shikinami
but i symphasize with you. I know how being a nerd/geek feels.

Sanger Zonvolt
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Sanger Zonvolt » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:50 am

Gendo I would have to say.
I am Sanger, Sanger Zonvolt! The sword that cleaves evil!

The Mari fan

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:52 pm

Shinji and Gendo. Depends on the day really but I can be really standoffish at times.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Eric Blair
Alberto del Rio
Alberto del Rio

•      
  •      

Postby Eric Blair » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:22 pm

Kaji-smooth with Asuka's competitive streak and penchant for snuffing people who are acting like idiots simply because they are being too nervous, lack guts to make a choice or are getting on my nerve with their constant whining; add a generous dash of Misato's playful drunkiness shenanigans and Ritsuko's cool, detached analytical persona when dealing with problems (logical problems fascinate me in their intrinsic delicacy and difficulty) and that's me in a nutshell.

Back when I was 14-16, though, it would have been manga Shinji without the "I wanna die, kill me please" attitude; it was cool to be a brooding, dark and angsty teen before the emos fucked it up and brought makeup into the mix.
Last edited by Eric Blair on Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In this time of Rebuild, I'm proud to be one of the few fans of the original NGE, and one of the last proud fans of Asuka Langley Soryu.
Avatar: A fighting boy meets girl on a one night stand, walking into the blue, ending day by day as they dance in a very merry Christmas, continuing on my own as a burning one man force while you come and make my day approaching in the nick of time and always, stand by me.

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Clover » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:28 pm

I used to be like Asuka, in that I would shut down completely if I wasn't absolutely perfect, on every test I ever took, but I eventually realized that my hobbies took an emotional priority over my work.

tehprognoob
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby tehprognoob » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:49 pm

View Original PostEric Blair wrote:Kaji-smooth with Asuka's competitive streakand penchant for snuffig people who are acting like idiots simply because they are being too nervous, lack guts to make a choice or are getting on my nerve with their constant whining, Add a generous dash of Misato's playful drunkiness shenanigans and Ritsuko's cool, detached analytical persona when dealing with problems (logical problems fascinate me in their intrinsic delicacy and diffculty) and that's me in a nutshell.

Take out the smooth-talk, and the get-lots-of-girls thing and that's me -_-

Eric Blair
Alberto del Rio
Alberto del Rio

•      
  •      

Postby Eric Blair » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:54 pm

View Original Posttehprognoob wrote:the get-lots-of-girls thing

I wouldn't call it "get-lots-of-girls", regardless of what other's say, smoothtalking doesn't equal getting lots of girls; it just makes it easier to talk to them without getting tongue-tied, IMO.
In this time of Rebuild, I'm proud to be one of the few fans of the original NGE, and one of the last proud fans of Asuka Langley Soryu.
Avatar: A fighting boy meets girl on a one night stand, walking into the blue, ending day by day as they dance in a very merry Christmas, continuing on my own as a burning one man force while you come and make my day approaching in the nick of time and always, stand by me.

tehprognoob
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby tehprognoob » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:55 pm

I mean how Kaji gets girls

makinami
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby makinami » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:45 pm

THREAD NECROMANCY LIKE A BOSS.

I've always related heavily to Misato, and I probably always will. Except for the drinking thing, I've learned my lesson(s)* with that.

*Jäger. Maker of terrible decisions. Hell of a donkey punch.

rhfxz1s
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby rhfxz1s » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:47 pm

Shinji! I know I can't be the only one who felt like they were looking into a mirror sometimes when watching Shinji. We have a lot in common, which is part of what made Eva such an emotional experience for me.

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:50 pm

Hm...to be honest, probably Misato. Not only is she the most well-rounded character of the whole show, but lately, I find myself relating to her plights much more than the others. Sure, I see Asuka, Shinji, Gendo, and the rest within me while having no trouble on empathizing on their issues, but the thing I always come back to with Misato is that out of all of the characters, she's the one who is troubled by society the most, or at least, knows the problems and dysfunctional nature of the whole concept through her own conclusions, and because of this, she forces herself to find ways to deal with the problem in a more emotional level than say, Asuka will in the future, while the others characters either ignore it by diving right into their own quirks or by trying to place it in the foreground and focus on their own needs; not Misato. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if society was always in the back of her mind during the show (as episode 7 pretty much told us).

So the point being? Well, speaking as someone who is probably coming to the same conclusion Misato made (I'm still a kid though, that might change), I can't help but relate and empathize what her character went through, and I'm thankful Anno knew this and used it to great potential.

...you were expecting maybe another Shinji comment?
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:09 pm

For me, it depends. Whenever Misato mentions her daddy issues, I sometimes feel like she's talking right out of my soul - I had similar problems at the time I first saw EVA...
Then again, it's often also Rei II, for I often don't really understand how the world and the things happening between its people work or how others see me, and I've often had the feeling that i'm different from everyone else.
That scene in episode 9 where she wouldn't become friends with a stranger "just because", that's a dialogue I often had myself - I think you have to know someone before calling him or her your friend...
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”