What reminds you of Evangelion in your day to day life?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:49 pm

View Original PostParanoid wrote:I can't help but wonder if they did that on purpose.

Said every Evangelion fan ever.

Maru
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Maru » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:29 pm

Physics and math classes. While in actuality the science in Evangelion (at least, the stuff that wasn't completely made up) was several levels past what I'm doing now, there were still a lot of moments where I couldn't help but think of Evangelion. For instance, in Kinematics during the section on energy, one point that came up in lecture and the test was kinetic energy caused by meteor impacts. I concluded that depending on Sahaquiel's size, density, and speed at time of impact, if it hadn't been stopped by the Evangelions it would have created an explosion that could have been measured in megatons, and probably rivaled thermonuclear warheads. If it was able to get up enough speed and artificially increase its density somehow, it could have created an explosion that would have killed every living thing on Earth. And then there's what I'm doing this quarter, Electricity and Magnetism. The word "solenoid" keeps coming up in lecture and I can't help but chuckle whenever I hear that. I keep thinking of the S2 engine and the Lance of Longinus. I've also been studying things this quarter that, while not referred to as such, were probably used in NERV. For instance, I'm pretty sure the Evangelion launch system is built using railgun technology, although it's a rather slow railgun; a powerful railgun would probably have crushed the pilots, even with the inertial dampening caused by the plugs being filled with LCL.

Going back to the kinetic energy thing, fun fact: based on the information (from the manga, I think) that claimed that the meteor which was ostensibly responsible for Second Impact was moving at half the speed of light and about the mass of a Volkswagen Bug, it would have had a kinetic energy of about nine times ten to the eighteenth Joules, or an effective yield of about 2151 megatons. To put that in perspective, the biggest hydrogen bomb ever built by the US during the Cold War had a yield of only 25 megatons. That means that Second Impact was being claimed to have caused an explosion equal to 86 of the most powerful hydrogen bombs the US ever built, stuffed into a five pound bag.

To be honest, I think that's a little overkill; something like that would probably have wiped out all life on the planet, not just half the life on the planet. However, it certainly is believable that such an event would have obliterated Antarctica and melted all the ice. That leads to another interesting question. I get that the ice melting would have meant more water in the oceans, but don't you think it would have occurred to everyone that if there really had been a meteor that hit, wouldn't all or some of the land that used to be Antarctica be gone, leaving more room for the water to go?

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:53 pm

I'm a big Transformers fan, and Transformers Prime Soundwave looks chillingly similar to an Evangelion unit. The slouch, the broad shoulders, the tiny waist, even the shoulder pylons...

Also, Billy Mays makes me think of the Jet Alone for some reason.

"Hi, Billy Mays here with the Jet Alone, THE answer to all your Angel based problems! Its nuclear reactor lets it cut through Sachiel, Ramiel, and Zeruel, all without leaving marks on your kitchen floor! And best of all, there's absolutely no risk of it going berserk and the reactor going critical and exploding!* But wait, there's more! call this number and we'll throw in 2 extra Jet Alones for the same great price! But I'm not done yet! Call right now, and we'll throw in a ginger half-German bitch absolutely free! The Jet Alone! THE definitive anti-Angel cleaning product!"

*Small Print: There is a very very good chance of it going berserk, the reactor going critical and exploding.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Jadley
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Jadley » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:19 pm

Earphones ...... i am pretty much Shinji-like with earphones, i shut myself from the world and just lay back, listen to some music and relax, and i hate it when anyone disturbs me, seriously unless you're a longtime friend or someone i know you're pretty much getting instantly hated, ignored and possibly even looked at weird by me if you interrupt my relaxation.
Trains, there's a train that passes by every Saturday at night near my house while I'm trying to sleep makes me think about life and shit :uhh: dunno why lol, maybe it's just like the shower effect.
Ceilings, seriously i look at my ceiling before getting out of bed and before going to sleep for like 5 minutes.
School, i find myself doing the Gendo pose all the time at school LOL, it's so freaking cool, wish i had glasses though, so i could fix them up my nose like Kensuke.
It's too late to pry away.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:16 am

The spanish word for sky (cielo) has always reminded me of SEELE.

In a way, that always made me view them in a very different light than i would have if that association didn't exist.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Rena
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Rena » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:19 am

Whenever I stare out of a window and not talk to anyone in the classroom or on the bus for extended periods of time. Which happens a lot. A bit too much. Doubled when I put on headphones and listen to music.

I found the teacher's desk in an empty classroom (music classroom, so no other desks), and sat in the chair to do the Gendo pose. My friend offered to be Fuyutsuki and stand behind me, so we did that for a few seconds before realising how silly we looked.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:24 pm

View Original PostRena wrote:I found the teacher's desk in an empty classroom (music classroom, so no other desks), and sat in the chair to do the Gendo pose. My friend offered to be Fuyutsuki and stand behind me, so we did that for a few seconds before realising how silly we looked.

I'm considering doing a Gendo cosplay this summer. You made me realize that I need a Fuyu.

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

•      
  •      

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:24 am

This may sound kinda out there, but bear with me for a bit...

Through a RL relationship, I think I now understand Gendo better.

What I mean by that is, I finally understand the thought that someone means enough to you that you would throw everything (yourself, every other person alive, the world, etc.) away if they were taken from you. I had this epiphany about three months back watching Ash sleep...and to be honest, it scared me a little. Still does.

...I'm probably looking a bit too deep at this, eh?
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:53 am

Perhaps. But it is interesting nonetheless.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:20 am

View Original PostAngelNo13Bardiel wrote:This may sound kinda out there, but bear with me for a bit...

Through a RL relationship, I think I now understand Gendo better.

What I mean by that is, I finally understand the thought that someone means enough to you that you would throw everything (yourself, every other person alive, the world, etc.) away if they were taken from you. I had this epiphany about three months back watching Ash sleep...and to be honest, it scared me a little. Still does.

It often takes us to actually experience something to empathize with someone, and this is all the more true with issues of the heart.

As much as I despise him I simultaneously understand and empathize with Gendo. He possesses the power no one else has. Everyone else... when someone dies we have to accept it. We can't do anything about it. We can't bring the dead back to life. We have to accept that we will never see them again, that they are lost forever*. But Gendo does have the power to see his loved one again. He doesn't have to accept it. He has the ability be reunited with her. Morality... ethics... justice... it asks him to deny that ability. It asks him to accept that he will never see Yui again despite his capabilities. How strong must someone be to do that? How powerful must their convictions in morality be? I think anyone who says they are sure they would not do the same in his position is lying to themselves. That is a test of strength that cannot be fully imagined, it must be experienced to know how you would react.

Personally I think I'd go insane, torn between what I want to do and what I know I should do.

*Questions of an after life aside of course, especially given the almost certain lack of one in NGE.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:51 am

View Original PostCJD wrote:It often takes us to actually experience something to empathize with someone, and this is all the more true with issues of the heart.

Indeed. Aside from the very good points CJD and Bardiel brought up, i think there's also the fact that Gendo believes he's the only one who can not only save the world from SEELE, but also bring humanity to new heights, hence why he's so focused and dedicated to his agenda. I think he honestly believes he can "save" everyone and fix all the harm he did if he succeeds with his plan.

Personally I think I'd go insane, torn between what I want to do and what I know I should do.

Not me, i would just try to revive them and it's very unlikely i'd feel too bad about it.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

user-02
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby user-02 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:12 pm

Bumping this thread b/c bump.

There's a sushi restaurant in LA called Asuka. Granted, that's a common enough name, and there's no literal connection whatsoever to Eva. Still...

BlackX32
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby BlackX32 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:44 pm

Psychoanalysis discussions with my friends always makes me think of Evangelion. I do that just about everyday. And anytime I see somebody being a loner...
"Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy. As long as the Sun, the Earth and the Moon exist, everything will be alright." - Yui Ikari

CCri
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby CCri » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:34 pm

when i think of dealing with real life responsibilities i think of evangelion.
-C C R I

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:38 pm

Hospitals remind me of Eva due to the frequent use of them throughout the series. Matter of fact, one time when I was in the hospital two years ago I couldn't help but hear Mari's singing cross my mind.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Mon May 20, 2013 11:03 am

Q  SPOILER: Show
Hearing the emergency siren going off now reminds me of the noise the Wunder makes as it activates.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Mon May 20, 2013 11:37 am

View Original Postuser-02 wrote:Bumping this thread b/c bump.

There's a sushi restaurant in LA called Asuka. Granted, that's a common enough name, and there's no literal connection whatsoever to Eva. Still...

Whenever I take noodles (of any kind, soba, udon, ramen, etc.) at a Japanese restaurant it reminds me of the ramen dinner after the Sahaquiel battle.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:01 pm

Weddings. Somebody always plays Ode to Joy and I can't help but snicker.

BlackX32
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby BlackX32 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:16 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Weddings. Somebody always plays Ode to Joy and I can't help but snicker.

Hell, I would too. Especially imagining what would happen if it started right in the middle of the wedding.
"Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy. As long as the Sun, the Earth and the Moon exist, everything will be alright." - Yui Ikari

sephiros
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby sephiros » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:19 pm

Found this in my basement last week.
SPOILER: Show
Godzilla never had an AT Field!!
You dumbass, what the hell else do you think I'm talking about? We're gonna combine!!
If the demon is truly big, then we are no match for it. It's irrational. It's impossible. It's against my religion.
Your victory was a Deus Ex Machina, ergo that cake is a lie!

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”