Is Evangelion your FAVORITE anime?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Tue May 08, 2007 9:33 pm

Fanatical fans about anything are annoying. I don't know why we're singling out Haruhi and Eva fans here.

As for the last post...I don't care whether a story is mediocre or shallow, if I enjoy watching it, it's okay by my books. I'm a liberal guy when it comes to criticism, myself.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Tue May 08, 2007 10:41 pm

thats fine with me =D
Rei: I'm not your puppet.

The Allied States of Syraneen

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Wed May 09, 2007 12:08 am

Ornette wrote:
BrikHaus wrote:
Zkh wrote:Haruhi is a B grade show, the fans are almost as annoying as NGE fanboys.

I love both shows. Both sets of fans are incredibly annoying. I guess liking both would make me doubly annoying.

Only if you're a rabid fan of both shows and explode in a fury of 1337speak/broken english every time someone says something bad about either one.

Ok, then that makes me a fanboy of neither. The only thing I would be a fanboy about is "Cowboy Bebop" but I'd never lower myself to using leet speak, broken english, or 4chan memes to express a point.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed May 09, 2007 12:10 am

ok, well, im just joining this thread and im not gonna read all 6 pages
so im gonna just answer the question
YES, Evangelion is my favorite anime
and then FMA

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Wed May 09, 2007 12:47 am

ooo whuts FMA?

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed May 09, 2007 1:17 am

I'm guessing Full Metal Alchemist.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Wed May 09, 2007 5:27 pm

oooo....i've only watched a few episodes. tis an interesting anime.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu May 10, 2007 11:25 pm

yes, very good
some people say its going to take Evangelions place as #1 anime
but i dont think so

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Fri May 11, 2007 8:02 am

Sachiel_13 wrote:yes, very good
some people say its going to take Evangelions place as #1 anime
but i dont think so

FMA is just another anime that will be wildly popluar while they are still making episodes and movies of the series. Once they stop it will fade away and another anime will take its place. (Inuyasha is a good example of this) Evangelion is one of the few anime (along with Sailor Moon and Cowboy Bebop) that has always stayed high on the charts of favorite anime. And that is even after a decade after it was shown.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri May 11, 2007 8:37 am

BrikHaus wrote:The only thing I would be a fanboy about is "Cowboy Bebop" but I'd never lower myself to using leet speak, broken english, or 4chan memes to express a point.

It's kind of fun if you're using them in the most un-serious manner possible.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Fri May 11, 2007 9:10 am

Hunter21 wrote:FMA is just another anime that will be wildly popluar while they are still making episodes and movies of the series. Once they stop it will fade away and another anime will take its place. (Inuyasha is a good example of this) Evangelion is one of the few anime (along with Sailor Moon and Cowboy Bebop) that has always stayed high on the charts of favorite anime. And that is even after a decade after it was shown.

From the sound of it, you haven't seen FMA, am I right? FMA is still wildly popular, however they are no longer making episodes or movies. Granted, it is still very young. It's only been out two years, but it has definitely lasted longer than the typical "flavor of the month." It has a great story, good characters, real emotions, high quality animation and music, and really connects with the viewer on a deeper level. Just watch the third episode. It's rare that you can find an anime that is so emotionally engaging so early on, and maintains that for such an extended episode count. I believe that FMA is going to join the ranks of Evangelion and Cowboy Bebop as a show that will stand the test of time, and will always be very highly regarded. Of course, the order in which you rank them is entirely subjective.

Reichu wrote:It's kind of fun if you're using them in the most un-serious manner possible.

That's true. However, I fear that if someone uses them too often, even in jest, the newbies to the forums/internet-in-general will read them, not know the difference, and start to use them all the time. I think purposefully misspelling things (e.g. moar) for no other reason than being cute is completely useless. That's not kewl in my book.
Awesomely Shitty
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Fri May 11, 2007 11:49 am

I have seen bits and pieces of FMA, it's nothing special to me. More than anything it is just another run of the mill anime. I could be proven wrong but I don't think it will be regarded nearly as much five years from now, let alone still be popular like Eva was five years after its initial release. This isn't really proof or anything but NewtypeUSA runs a column on the 20 most popular anime in Japan in each of there issues. A year or so ago FMA was near the top of that list, now it isn't even on the list at all. Evangelion has always been on the list and still is. (Actually it is going up the list in rankings again since they announced rebuild.)

And I take it you forgot about Fullmetal Alchemist: The Movie – Conqueror of Shamballa. That one was just released in Japan late last year.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri May 11, 2007 2:47 pm

I thought D.Gray-man was a much better show than FMA (so far). More than half of FMA I watched simply because I had to watch it in order to see what happens next, could have been much better with half the length.

Ejinathan
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ejinathan » Fri May 11, 2007 3:00 pm

Ornette wrote: D.Gray-man.

Btw about D Gray-man.. a girl said that a character from my manga had kinda the same clothes as D.Gray-man hehe. Even tough i never saw D.Gray-man before...
even if you have nothing left, just try to smile.
Even Goku smiles when he's about to die:D

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Fri May 11, 2007 4:09 pm

Ornette wrote:More than half of FMA I watched simply because I had to watch it in order to see what happens next, could have been much better with half the length.

I don't think they could have squeezed everything into 26 episodes. Maybe 39. But every series has its flaws. I was just trying to say that FMA is a great show with actual depth, and it isn't outlandish to say that 10 years from now it will still be highly regarded. Even if it does not remain on any top 20 list, that would not make it a lesser show. I doubt that Escaflowne is on a top 20 list any more, but it's still thought of as an excellent series. Besides, with the exception of genre-defining shows like Eva, Gundam, or Dragonball Z, those lists usually tend to comprise more recent things. FMA will likely withstand the test of time.
Last edited by BrikHaus on Fri May 11, 2007 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Awesomely Shitty

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Fri May 11, 2007 4:14 pm

Personally my bet for an anime that will pass the test of time is Sgt. Frog. It's never been the number one anime at any time but it has been around for a while. It seems to be doing the slow and steady type of thing as opposed to flash in the pan like most anime now days. It may not be number one but curiously it is always there when the popularity polls are put out.
Last edited by Hunter21 on Sat May 12, 2007 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Fri May 11, 2007 7:25 pm

Well, we'll see if it'll stand the test of time, in time. Remember that it's only been recently made.

Personally, I really enjoyed the first half, but turned into a load in the second half. I stopped enjoying it and started shaking my head at how retarded the plot twists were. I agree with Ornette; FMA could have had so much better if the pacing wasn't awful. It was completely average to me. The movie basically sucked, too. The writing wasn't even half as good.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Shwiggie
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Shwiggie » Fri May 11, 2007 11:17 pm

Fullmetal Alchemist turned out to be a pretty good anime...but I wouldn't call it great. In fact, I would have dropped it after the third or so volume had it not been for people telling me to stick with it. It just didn't go anywhere for a long time, but in the end I'm glad I was able to stick with it.

Will it stand the test of time? We'll just have to wait and see if new stuff is still coming out for it fifteen years from its original release. But if I were to guess I'd say that it might be remembered fondly but won't be on the list of must-see anime.

One should remember that a big reason certain anime are so fondly remembered is because, up until fairly recently (I'd say since the advent of the DVD format and Internet file distribution and fandom...let's say the year 1999), there was only a handful of anime that was introduced to a world-wide audience. Everything we got was distinct from the regular fare and therefore became iconic for the anime audience.

Nowadays, we get new stuff all the time to the point that it's a revolving-door process. Look back at the music industry now compared to, say, twenty years ago, and then liken that it to the comparative flash-in-the-pans we have today. We don't have number-one songs that stay there for weeks on end anymore. There are so few truly remarkable media makers around today, and anime is no exception.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat May 12, 2007 1:45 pm

BrikHaus wrote:
I doubt that Escaflowne is on a top 20 list any more, but it's still thought of as an excellent series.
It's certainly in my top 20. It's interesting watching it again after so many years - I forgot how damn entertaining it was. Yeah, it's certainly doesn't have 1/10 of the depth that some of the better animes have, but it's damn FUN from beginning to end. The characters are among the most likable in any series I've ever seen, and there isn't a single episode that's a snore.

Combine that with a great score (from none other than Bebop genius Yoko Kanno) and I really think it's one of the more underrated series out there. It was quite popular for a while but I think time has seen people kind of move on. I think a lot of those people need to go back and watch it again. With all the heavier, artier animes out there today it's nice to take a break from it and just watch one that's a really fun fantasy adventure told really, really well.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue May 15, 2007 7:44 am

Shwiggie wrote:Fullmetal Alchemist turned out to be a pretty good anime...but I wouldn't call it great. In fact, I would have dropped it after the third or so volume had it not been for people telling me to stick with it. It just didn't go anywhere for a long time, but in the end I'm glad I was able to stick with it.

Will it stand the test of time?

it probably wont, another anime will come out, thats very similar to it, probably be better, and then FullMetal Alchemist will be nothing more than a memory........only to be reborn when the other anime FAILS!!! :P

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”