Is Evangelion your FAVORITE anime?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

CypressPhoenix
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby CypressPhoenix » Wed May 02, 2007 4:39 pm

hmmm.... I do love it as a manga... the anime kinda bugs me in some senses but I'm always pumped and screaming at people that a new vol. is going to come out, so I get excited over it... and it becomes my favorite all over again XD

Otherwise... I'm love with Tsubasa Chronicles right now, oh and Fruits basket is always one of my favs. =D
++If you can't laugh at yourself, then I'll be glad to do it for you.++

Kaworu fangirl... sad I know XD I like him in the manga though... not in the anime ><

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed May 02, 2007 9:39 pm

At the moment it's still the best anime series I've seen. I don't like comparing series with films, but Princess Mononoke and Grave of the Fireflies comes close to NGE in quality. I think the only series that are close to NGE in quality that I've seen so far are Texhnolyze and Cowboy Bebop.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Victorthebattousai
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Victorthebattousai » Wed May 02, 2007 10:27 pm

NGE's manga is great, but I'm not as much for the anime(especially EoE), I'm afraid my fave Anime would be a tie between Gundam Wing and the Samurai X OVA's Trust & Betrayel. Samurai X was a bit too gory, but it was still amazing, and I think it definitely matched Eva in nearly every way. Gundam isn't the deepest, but I love it still(the first Anime I really got into).
I hate not having my Siggy.

Shwiggie
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Shwiggie » Thu May 03, 2007 12:35 am

It's not my favorite series...that title would most likely go to the original Transformers shows of the eighties. I don't care if it's considered anime or not...for the record, I don't. It's not even second, either, as Batman TAS probably makes its way to that slot, and Justice League probably fills the next.

But Evangelion was the first major anime series I watched in what I consider my adult life (following Robotech, Voltron, Tranzor-Z, and other assorted anime I saw as a young'un). But that was in the days of VHS, and I got most of them for $5 each, so it wasn't so tough to get them together and watch.

I did used to say that it was my favorite anime series. However, I'm not sure now. It's somewhat difficult to narrow it down when so many others in other genres come to mind. As usual, it turns into a listing of preferences...His and Her Circumstances, Azumanga Daioh, Excel Saga, Mars Daybreak, Eureka 7, Golden Boy, and on and on and on....

But it has certainly captured a great deal of thought, whereas the others haven't. I was somewhat active in another Eva-only forum for a while, and I made a feeble Eva fan-site. But in the end, I'm not the die-hard who researches and translates and does all the fanstuff out of love for the series. I don't even remember the last time I watched the series...maybe when the individual Platinum volumes were released?

It holds a special place in my collection...maybe even my heart, but in the end, I only came back here to keep up with the new Eva animation projects.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Thu May 03, 2007 1:54 am

It is one of the best I've ever seen, but to be honest I haven't seen much.

I don't think there can be one "Favorite" but my "favoriteS" are: Evangelion, Elfen Lied, and Big O (they're all kind of similar I guess)

Ghost in the Shell the series was good, but lacked good characterization.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu May 03, 2007 2:29 am

Shwiggie wrote:It's not my favorite series...that title would most likely go to the original Transformers shows of the eighties. I don't care if it's considered anime or not...for the record, I don't. It's not even second, either, as Batman TAS probably makes its way to that slot, and Justice League probably fills the next.
The original Transformers kicked so much ass... Brings back a lot of memories.

I need to buy the seasons of Batman:TAS on DVD. That was probably the single greatest (dramatic) animated series to come out of the US.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Victorthebattousai
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Victorthebattousai » Thu May 03, 2007 12:33 pm

TAS?

Oh, and Big O rocks. I miss it. Anyone watch Dual! Parralel Trouble Universe? That series was great(the the very last episode was kind of.....weird.)
I hate not having my Siggy.

Shwiggie
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Shwiggie » Thu May 03, 2007 2:13 pm

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Thu May 03, 2007 3:29 pm

Haha. I used to watch Batman: TAS a lot, as well. I also loved the good ole 1960's Spiderman cartoon. My favorite American cartoon in general is probably Futurama, though. I don't regret buying all 4 volumes.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Executor
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Executor » Thu May 03, 2007 6:55 pm

Never saw it, kinda want to, though

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Fri May 04, 2007 4:45 am

To be honest, I think of Batman: TAS, Superman, and Justice League (plus Batman Beyond) as all one big metaseries....because it kind of was, actually; I mean the same voice actors, basic character designs remained fairly intact.....the writers were the same, and some episodes of Justice League actually dealt with TAS stuff.

But I was no fan of "Superman", though I'm no fan of the comics either. It was fun to see Batman again in Justice League but it just wasn't his world anymore. Besides, by the last 2 seasons Batman Begins was out and the "bat embargo" prevented any real villains from showing up.

of course, by then you liked the side characters.

Say what you will, I pretty much liked Batman Beyond (well for much of its run); odd that the "sequel" to Justice League was already finished when it ended. Basically you cap off the entire DC Animated Universe by going back and watching "Return of the Joker" and then "Epilogue".

It was nice that they at least showed the ultimate fate of some of the TAS characters; notably Bruce Wayne, Tim Drake, and Barbara Gordon....well, they never actually did say what happened to Dick Grayson, they do mention him casually though...their split was upsetting.....but then we actually see "this is how Joker finally dies in the TAS universe", and what happened to Bane, Mr.Freeze, Harley Quinn, etc. I wish they revealed the ultimate fate of some of the others though, i.e. what the heck happened to Catwoman.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Ayana-Me
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ayana-Me » Sat May 05, 2007 12:27 am

Shwiggie wrote:
But Evangelion was the first major anime series I watched in what I consider my adult life (following Robotech, Voltron, Tranzor-Z, and other assorted anime I saw as a young'un).

Ahh yes, the original Toonami lineup, now that was some quality programming. I do, however, think we can be thankful that the Evas can't combine into some sort of invincible hodgepodge.

Robotech/Macross was my favorite anime series before NGE came along. Stylistically and thematically, I think Macross set the stage for a show like Evangelion. Mecha aside, I've always been partial to shonen like Kimagure Orange Road and Love Hina. Hey, it can't all be "hard work".

Operation Yashima
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Operation Yashima » Sat May 05, 2007 3:47 am

[sarcasm]My favourite Anime is Pokemon, just because there are so many episodes of it... :wink: [/sarcasm]

But seriously...26 did not satiate by hunger for NGE after I finished them. I got them and watched them at once, and after 26+2 episodes I still feel that I need some more of it.

Other than that it is one of the best Anime I've seen...it also got me back into Anime after childhood.

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Sat May 05, 2007 9:40 am

I never considered what I watched as a child to be "anime." What I like about watching anime now is that I can watch the stuff that caters to my age group. When I was little I just watched "cartoons."
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat May 05, 2007 10:53 am

slothen wrote:I never considered what I watched as a child to be "anime." What I like about watching anime now is that I can watch the stuff that caters to my age group. When I was little I just watched "cartoons."

It was anime if it was originally made in Japan for the Japanese.* And all anime are technically "cartoons", despite the stigma attached to the word.

* This is going by the gaijin definition of "anime", of course. In Japan, all animation is "anime".
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Sat May 05, 2007 11:53 am

I started watching anime when I hit my teens because it was harder to find good american cartoons.

Right now I think my fave is Full metal Alchemist
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Executor
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Executor » Sat May 05, 2007 11:56 am

Reichu wrote:
slothen wrote:I never considered what I watched as a child to be "anime." What I like about watching anime now is that I can watch the stuff that caters to my age group. When I was little I just watched "cartoons."

It was anime if it was originally made in Japan for the Japanese.* And all anime are technically "cartoons", despite the stigma attached to the word.

* This is going by the gaijin definition of "anime", of course. In Japan, all animation is "anime".

I wonder: Why the fuck cant anime fanbois(or girls) distinguish the difference between anime and cartoons. They are the FUCKING SAME, ONLY WITH A FUCKING DIFFERENT DRAWING STYLE!!!!

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Sat May 05, 2007 11:58 am

Executor wrote:
Reichu wrote:

I wonder: Why the fuck cant anime fanbois(or girls) distinguish the difference between anime and cartoons. They are the FUCKING SAME, ONLY WITH A FUCKING DIFFERENT DRAWING STYLE!!!!

Attitude and smugness

"I dont watch cartoon! I watch anime!"

Like it's some how better
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Sat May 05, 2007 12:12 pm

Executor wrote:I wonder: Why the fuck cant anime fanbois(or girls) distinguish the difference between anime and cartoons. They are the FUCKING SAME, ONLY WITH A FUCKING DIFFERENT DRAWING STYLE!!!!

I beg to differ.

In the US, cartoons are almost exclusively marketed to Ickle Bratkins. That right there kills any interest I might have in them.

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Opteron-O3 » Sat May 05, 2007 12:18 pm

Operation Yashima wrote:But seriously...26 did not satiate by hunger for NGE after I finished them. I got them and watched them at once, and after 26+2 episodes I still feel that I need some more of it.

I always wanted more too...
Last edited by Opteron-O3 on Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”