Is Evangelion your FAVORITE anime?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Executor
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Executor » Sat May 05, 2007 12:19 pm

BobBQ wrote:
Executor wrote:I wonder: Why the fuck cant anime fanbois(or girls) distinguish the difference between anime and cartoons. They are the FUCKING SAME, ONLY WITH A FUCKING DIFFERENT DRAWING STYLE!!!!

I beg to differ.

In the US, cartoons are almost exclusively marketed to Ickle Bratkins. That right there kills any interest I might have in them.

True, but they are basically the same thing, only drawn, and to different ages.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sat May 05, 2007 12:38 pm

Cartoons for some reason have a negative, child-like connotation. These fapboys have a desire to be considered seriously, as adults, so use the word anime instead of cartoons. These people are idiots. Cartoons rock, especially Japanese cartoons. In fact, Evangelion is one of my most favorite cartoons of all time.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Executor
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Executor » Sat May 05, 2007 12:39 pm

BrikHaus wrote:Cartoons for some reason have a negative, child-like connotation. These fapboys have a desire to be considered seriously, as adults, so use the word anime instead of cartoons. These people are idiots. Cartoons rock, especially Japanese cartoons. In fact, Evangelion is one of my most favorite cartoons of all time.

Indeed, good point.

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Sat May 05, 2007 1:34 pm

arguing semantics is pointless and horribly off topic. You can call it cartoons, anime, whatever. By distinguishing them im trying to outline that there's a big difference between saturday morning cartoons and stuff like NGE, Ghost in the Shell, and Texhnolyze. However, both "cartoons" and "anime" use many of the same techniques in their creation, so yes. Technically they are the same thing. I just find it convenient to use the two names to distinguish the different types of shows. If you think its retarded, then you're probobly right. Its still bullshit semantics, go argue it somewhere else, im sorry I brought it up.

so, queue up Spike telling us to get back on topic bitches.

Ahem,

YES OMG I LUV EVANGELioN AND LIEK Asuka IS THE HAWTEST ITS MY FaVORITE ANIME EVAR CUZ IT WAS LIKE MY FIRST ONE!!
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun May 06, 2007 12:50 am

BrikHaus wrote:Cartoons for some reason have a negative, child-like connotation. These fapboys have a desire to be considered seriously, as adults, so use the word anime instead of cartoons. These people are idiots. Cartoons rock, especially Japanese cartoons. In fact, Evangelion is one of my most favorite cartoons of all time.
I never used the term "anime" to refer to animation that was "more mature" or "adult oriented". I just figured the two referenced American (cartoon), and Japanese (anime). I mean, didn't the term "anime" originate from Japan? Cartoons have been around for forever (came from Italy, I think), and because of the similarity between early animation and cartoons, early animation became known as cartoons and the term kinda stuck over here.

Pokemon is anime, and Pokemon is as silly and childish as it gets. Conversely, Batman:TAS is a cartoon, and it's one of the most kickass things ever (better than the majority of anime out there). In reality, they're both actually just "animation". One American and one Japanese in origin.

I'd say it's just a cultural thing, not a maturity thing.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sun May 06, 2007 8:06 am

Eva Yojimbo wrote:words

Actually, I was referring to the people that get pissed off when you call anime a cartoon, and try to explain how there is a difference between them in content. I hope you know what I mean, it wasn't directed at you.
Awesomely Shitty
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun May 06, 2007 7:20 pm

BrikHaus wrote:Actually, I was referring to the people that get pissed off when you call anime a cartoon, and try to explain how there is a difference between them in content. I hope you know what I mean, it wasn't directed at you.
Well, I'd never get pissed off. But there is this kind of mentality over here in the US when it comes to the relationship between adults and animation that it's all either just for kids, or silly comedies like The Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park, etc. To most people, dramatic animation doesn't exist. So the term "cartoon" becomes synonymous with Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny and other kids shows.

I think that's why some people get offended. Because when someone says "You like cartoons?", there's this implied patronization. And a lot of that is because of the connotation of the word "cartoon" over here.
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon May 07, 2007 6:32 pm

Something I learned quite awhile ago:

IN Japan, THE TERM "ANIME" IS USED FOR ALL ANIMATION, NOT JUST STUFF THAT'S MADE IN Japan.

(And yes, caps lock=cool, but /=/ saracasm. ;))

I like what Eva Yojimbo had to say though...
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

sensei_juice
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby sensei_juice » Mon May 07, 2007 9:18 pm

Back on topic:
Oddly enough, Evangelion is the only series I've seen the entirety of (I've seen large sections of about ten others, as well as read sections of many manga series); however, I doubt anything I read or see will ever match it. I've read many more books than I have seen manga and anime combined, so I can still recognize quality and depth when I see it.
This post did not suck.

Ritsuko Akagi, the truth is... I had sex with your mom.
Yup.

Shwiggie
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Shwiggie » Tue May 08, 2007 12:27 am

Ayana-Me wrote:Robotech/Macross was my favorite anime series before NGE came along. Stylistically and thematically, I think Macross set the stage for a show like Evangelion. Mecha aside, I've always been partial to shonen like Kimagure Orange Road and Love Hina. Hey, it can't all be "hard work".

I believe the greats stand on their own, even today. Macross to me is just as enjoyable and dramatic today as it was back when...which is why I bought the new release of Macross despite already owning the Robotech version (ADV's Legacy series...w/out the Animego'd remastering).

You had to have that particular series (and Gundam before that, and later works such as Gunbuster and the like) before you could get to Eva, which has gone on to likely be the single most influential, for better or worse, anime series of the nineties.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue May 08, 2007 12:43 am

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Something I learned quite awhile ago:

IN Japan, THE TERM "ANIME" IS USED FOR ALL ANIMATION, NOT JUST STUFF THAT'S MADE IN Japan.

It makes sense as "anime" just seems short for "animation" to me.

The term "cartoon" is something that's been around for a long time and originally applied to certain illustrations that were usually humerous. But throughout the years it was also applied to comic strips and other things. When animation was invented, it resembled moving comic strip cartoons, so animation became known as cartoons.

Somewhere along the line, any animations that was child-like or humerous in nature got associated with the term "cartoon". And the two (over here) became synonymous with each other. When we (America) discovered anime and its more dramatic works, the term "cartoon" didn't really seem to fit, because we associated "cartoons" with being humerous or for children. We found out they were from Japan, and I think before there was even "anime", there was the term "Japanimation". Then the simpler term "anime" was adopted because that's what the Japanese called animation.

Even though this is an argument over semantics, it's also almost a differentiation of genres to us. In the music world this could be associated with the terms "hard rock" and "heavy metal". To most people they're interchangable and mean the same thing (just like cartoon and animation, it's just semantics). To some, they're different genres with different bands belonging to each. Depends on how you look at it.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue May 08, 2007 12:51 am

Oh Eva's my fave. And because of that I actually got into Studio Gainax and have studied it like I would any film director. Intersting.

Also I'd like to throw out one little opinion-

I absolutly HATE "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" with a passion.

Tokpile Quohog
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Tue May 08, 2007 1:44 am

Gendo'sPapa wrote:Oh Eva's my fave. And because of that I actually got into Studio Gainax and have studied it like I would any film director. Intersting.

Also I'd like to throw out one little opinion-

I absolutly HATE "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" with a passion.

You got into Studio Gainax?

Oh and why do you hate Haruhi so much? Everyone else seems to love it and its been recommended to me by several friends.
TheEvaMonkey: I HATE BEING A FAT CHICK

Ejinathan
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ejinathan » Tue May 08, 2007 3:41 am

Wow you actually got in there O_o. I want like to start my own studio, even ready to buy my thai mate lol.

But ofcourse NGE inspired me
even if you have nothing left, just try to smile.
Even Goku smiles when he's about to die:D

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Tue May 08, 2007 11:17 am

Gendo'sPapa wrote:Oh Eva's my fave. And because of that I actually got into Studio Gainax and have studied it like I would any film director. Intersting. <snip>
Really? How was this accomplished? Paleeeaaaze, do tell!
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Tue May 08, 2007 2:49 pm

Eh. I thought Haruhi was a great show. It's one of my favorites.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Zkh
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zkh » Tue May 08, 2007 2:53 pm

Haruhi is a B grade show, the fans are almost as annoying as NGE fanboys.

Almost.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Tue May 08, 2007 3:52 pm

Zkh wrote:Haruhi is a B grade show, the fans are almost as annoying as NGE fanboys.

I love both shows. Both sets of fans are incredibly annoying. I guess liking both would make me doubly annoying.
Awesomely Shitty

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue May 08, 2007 4:21 pm

BrikHaus wrote:
Zkh wrote:Haruhi is a B grade show, the fans are almost as annoying as NGE fanboys.

I love both shows. Both sets of fans are incredibly annoying. I guess liking both would make me doubly annoying.

Only if you're a rabid fan of both shows and explode in a fury of 1337speak/broken english every time someone says something bad about either one.

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Tue May 08, 2007 9:00 pm

um...i don't know who's arguing with who, but...

NGE is my my favorite anime series from all that I have watched. It's extremely deep, which I very much like. A shallow or predictable/cliche storyline just makes me go to sleep ^^
Rei: I'm not your puppet.

The Allied States of Syraneen

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”