Introducing Others to Evangelion

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:59 pm

Six.

One was a girl who I had started courting a few weeks prior and seemed to be into the whole nerd scene, not to mention having more than a little in common with our humble protagonist, one Mr. Shinji Ikari. Not that I mentioned that to her exactly, but we watched the first episode after which, she called the show "weird" and had no interest in continuing further.

Needless to say I'd moved on from her after another month after getting fed up with how much of a debbie downer she was and trying to coax some form of positive emotion out of her. Coming from someone who's had more than his share of depressing moments and episodes, this is saying something.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

SEELE
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:53 pm

A couple of people.

1. Brother and relatives
- my brother hated it, 2 cousins hated it too.
2. My best friend Janine
- loved it and we are still talking about it but she prefers NTE
3. Mates/workmate
- one loved it the other hated it EoE

Quit the "you should watch NGE"-business a long time ago and never bothered to tell someone that i liked it. Besides - i have you guys to talk about it.
"Shinji repeatedly rises to the occasion, overcomes his own doubts and fears and puts others ahead of himself to the point of self harm. The situation overwhelms him. Victory does not define a hero. Intent does. He breaks at the end, but after inhuman, overwhelming, borderline comedic suffering." - Chuckman talking about Shinji as a hero
Final Fantasy 7 gets a remake. I hope it doesn't goes the same way NTE did.
Plus I kinda want to be done with this franchise for a while and concentrate on other things in life. - Guy Nacks

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:23 am

Two, my father and my sister. My dad liked it alright but really hated Shinji, but stuck with it. My sister only saw Rebuild 1.11 and I think she felt it was decent but I've never really gotten around to showing her anything else.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:38 am

About 6.

One roommate - he thought it was alright. But the guy was hard to read anyways. Might have been asexual.
Two friends in film school. They both though it was lame for the first few episodes, I told them to stick around & by the half-way point they were hooked & when we got to EOE they went nuts.
Little sister. At first she was iffy cause she thought Rei was going to be "a damsel-in-distress" but then she really enjoyed that the female characters were fully developed & felt real.
A girlfriend. She enjoyed it. Then I made up for it with about 2 seasons of Friends (terrible). ... She surprised me one day monhts later wearing a homemade plugsuit. Fun time. :)
A cinematographer I worked with. He saw me wearing an Eva shirt at a bar & after some drinks he impulse bought the whole series on DVD. A month later he wrote me an e-mail about how much he enjoyed it. Though he felt Shinji was "a pussy".

LukeMM95
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby LukeMM95 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:58 am

Currently only 2.

I showed my brother the first Rebuild movie while on holiday and he enjoyed it. Unfortunately it hasn't convinced him to check out the show yet since he's currently watching other things like Attack on Titan and Fairy Tail.

The other was a fellow student at my uni. He showed me the anime he was watching and I pretty much told him to stop watching those shows and instead watch NGE. He said he would check it out but I haven't asked him about it in weeks.

I do plan on trying to get my friends to check it out, but most of them don't really care for anime.

::KL7::
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby ::KL7:: » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:46 pm

Only 2 people so far.

First was a former co-worker. He enjoyed the first rebuild movie I lent him, and I told him I'd lend him the series and EoE. But he got a new job and I rarely see him. He's a cool guy and I trust him but I don't feel comfortable lending out my movies for a long period of time. I promised Zap and SSD I'd take care of them. Hehehehe :tongue:

The other was my niece. She's only seen the first 2 rebuild movies so far, and she liked them. She said she still likes sao and attack on titan better though. :(. I am disappoint.
It's Ok if you hate me, I hate me too.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:10 pm

How old is your niece? You're not mentally scarring children, are you?

Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby ::KL7:: » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:49 pm

Not intentionally. -o-; she's 14. It's probably still a bit awkward watching nge with her, that's why I started with 1.11 and 2.22 and she seemed pretty psyched for 3.0 when I showed her the trailer for it.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:53 pm

Have you prepared her for soul crushing?
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:01 pm

None, I guess. I don't tend to move in circles that would be a good match... I have talked about it with the parent of a young teen, to try to raise an interest there, but then I suggested starting small, with Gunbuster, to build an interest in anime at all. Actually, I may send a copy of that as a present this Christmas.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby ::KL7:: » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:20 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:Have you prepared her for soul crushing?

Not yet, where do I even start?

I don't tend to move in circles that would be a good match

Same for me. Other than the people I mentioned I can't really think of anyone else, friends or family who might like it.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:41 pm

View Original Post::KL7:: wrote:Not intentionally. -o-; she's 14.

That's not so bad. I watched the show myself when I was 12, and I've turned out mostly fine.

mechashiva
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby mechashiva » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:57 pm

Well, when my ex-boyfriend was in town (he's a trucker) on Halloween, I showed him the first two episodes to gauge his interest in it. Since we are MSTies, we sort of riffed on it a little bit but he seems interested, interested enough to watch the rest on his own while he's on the road. He's downloaded the episodes on his phone and he has to prioritize how much data he can use every month (I also recommended a bunch of other shows he'd like, like Over the Garden Wall and Steven Universe)

So he said he'll watch about an episode or two every week. Only time will tell. (crosses fingers) :rolleyes:
Last edited by mechashiva on Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Every child is an artist, the problem is staying an artist when you grow up."-Pablo Picasso

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:05 pm

The first episode of the series really is an uphill battle for most people. It's easy to see nothing but whining and Old Robocop bitching about budgets. If you don't know what you're getting into or have a familiarity with the tropes of the genre to be shocked by the deviation it might be tough to get into.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:21 pm

It ends with a pretty good cliffhanger, though. Most people I've showed it to stuck around to see what happened to Sachiel in the first Eva-01 sortie, regardless of whether or not they had any complaints with mister :shinji_boohoo: .

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:53 pm

Somewhat surprisingly I've just introduced a native Japanese girl in her 20s to the Eva films; she knew the name, but absolutely nothing about it. (She's fully Japanese, and has only left to study the piano away from her two pushy pianist parents.)
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:05 pm

May have tangentially introduced someone to Evangelion, but it started with them trying to introduce me to Evangelion.

I was in a Skype chat with a couple of boys who I run a D&D game for (students of my wife, good kids, I keep in touch with them). One of them (who has started an anime kick) asks me, out of the blue, "Are you familiar with...Evangelion?"

For the record, my Skype avatar is the same as my EvaGeeks avatar. So I'm sitting there for a moment, and I say, "No, tell me about it." So he goes into it a bit before the other kid (who is aware of who Pen-Pen is) turns to his buddy and says, "Dude, do you not recognize who that is?"

It did open the perfect opportunity to tell them both about the television series, as the movies are all they're tracking on.

Two more EvaGeeks in the making.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

TIWIH777
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TIWIH777 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:47 pm

Just last week I showed a buddy. The fourth person I've shown so far. did my standard order: rebuilds to gauge interest, then series. He found the first five eisodes to be a bit slow and hes not too keen on Shinji, says he needs to man up etc, but he enjoyed the show more when Asuka came in and Shinji got braver/more adjusted. Was my fourth time marathonning it and was awesome.
Let's do this.

Asukaner117
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Asukaner117 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:16 pm

Showed EoE to three of my ex-girlfriends when i was younger. Of course they didnt understand anything, and all of them broke up with me shortly after. When i think about it now it was pretty cringeworthy. :lol:
God's in his heaven all's right with the world

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:20 pm

View Original PostAsukaner117 wrote:Showed EoE to three of my ex-girlfriends when i was younger. Of course they didnt understand anything, and all of them broke up with me shortly after. When i think about it now it was pretty cringeworthy. :lol:

Did you have them watch the series first? Because just showing them EoE on its own, especially with the hospital scene, can be a little too much if you haven't been eased into the characters and show.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”