Cracked VS Evangelion

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

VirtualBathsalt
Embryo

Cracked VS Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby VirtualBathsalt » Fri May 03, 2013 10:56 pm

http://www.cracked.com/funny-2150-evangelion/

Wondered how the board felt about this scathing article I just happened upon. Also I'm still new and I hope this is (not) a repost, I get it if it's moved or deleted and I'm inboxed a series of graphic anatomy pictures to teach me a lesson. I'm not asserting that its bizarre for people to have this opinion of Eva fans as being 2deep4u, and especially not that Cracked has ever refrained from criticizing anything noteworthy, but I found it surprising the way they've singled out NGE.

If I may: these people lost the magazine battle with the esteemed publication Mad, and used the phrase "Japanese Emo" within the first dozen words of description.
Thoughts, Evageeks?
Non sum qualis eram

MoroNoKimi
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby MoroNoKimi » Fri May 03, 2013 10:59 pm

It's patently obvious they haven't done their research. Which is odd, since their science-y or historical stuff is usually researched fairly well (and they cite their sources.)

I think whoever wrote that just didn't care for Eva. /shrug

Nouw
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Nouw » Fri May 03, 2013 11:06 pm

Disregard it, it's from Cracked.com which you do realize is a) a comedy site and b) Cracked.com.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Fri May 03, 2013 11:11 pm

I don't think they singled out NGE, or rather, i don't think the editors felt or thought this was particularly targeting an anime i can almost guarantee none of them have seen. If i remember correctly, topix articles are just written by one or two guys who pitch/send the article to the editor in charge of topixs, and if that person deems it's acceptable/funny enought for a topix, it gets published. They don't pay you as much for a topix as they do for an article, which is very understandable given that topixs require way less work than an article does. Ah, what i'm trying to say with this paragraph is that it's very probable this wasn't written by any person you might associate with Cracked (John Cheese, David Wong, Christina, etc.) but just by some forum member.

I'm a member in the Cracked forums (intended to write articles for them, but got a bit disheartened for some reason... I should try again) and i'm a little sad to say that people over there don't really get, or care for, anime. Staff is pretty explicit in that they're convinced KS is just a rape game made by 4chan, and most members talk about anime in a rather despictive manner (saying that most of it is crap or childish in general wasn't uncommon)... At least that's what i remember. I don't know the editors or writers feelings on the matter, but i always had the feeling they didn't have much higher regards for anime themselves.

The cracked forums are also a rather harsh and, IMO, "western" place, which i feel might play a factor into how the NGE topix ended up being that way. Again, i'm sad to say, but to a very westernized community i'm not surprised NGE got such a bad reception.

Don't worry, this isn't a repost and no one will send you pictures of dicks for posting this. Personally i'm a bit glad someone brought this up.

@Moro: Indeed Cracked's standard for articles is upmost commendable. The small community of article writers is a very nice and helpful group, and they often comment of the great achievement you feel when you get your first article published. You can be confident in that when you see an article in the front page, it was polished to perfection by countless hours of work of editors, writers, and many other important people i'm forgetting. But as far as i remember the standards for topix are much, much lower, and sometimes things like these happens.

@Nouw: I have never felt that the fact Cracked is a comedy site is an excuse for poor research and lazy humor. Even if it's just intended to be funny, Cracked is above being "edgy" and thinking that using a lot of swearwords and offending people is hilarious by itself.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

VirtualBathsalt
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby VirtualBathsalt » Fri May 03, 2013 11:18 pm

View Original PostNouw wrote:Disregard it, it's from Cracked.com which you do realize is a) a comedy site and b) Cracked.com.

Yes.

wasn't written by any person you might associate w tina, etc.) but just by some forum member.

Reassuring, as I like the Cheese, and usually can appreciate cracked for a hands-on satire and criticism that makes me enjoy reading, even on movies/books I've adored. This one just felt different.
Non sum qualis eram

Nouw
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Nouw » Sat May 04, 2013 5:11 am

View Original PostDream wrote:@Nouw: I have never felt that the fact Cracked is a comedy site is an excuse for poor research and lazy humor. Even if it's just intended to be funny, Cracked is above being "edgy" and thinking that using a lot of swearwords and offending people is hilarious by itself.
That's the punchline, humour from exaggeration and the ridiculous. Read: countless articles on science and nature i.e. 'did you knows.' Not that I find any of their articles funny. Intriguing and motivating but never funny. Read: countless articles on pop culture trivia. The only time I found myself being amused was when I looked through their Photoplasty competitions. Funnily enough, I think they made them go daily for a while. The humour seems to be lost on many who cite Cracked.com as a legitimate site for facts. It'd be like someone posting a news article with TheOnion as a source, it's pretty jarring. Not that anyone does that because TheOnion knows what it wants to be and is relatively better at it.

I don't know, that's just my interpretation of the site.

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Sat May 04, 2013 6:33 am

View Original PostMoroNoKimi wrote:It's patently obvious they haven't done their research. Which is odd, since their science-y or historical stuff is usually researched fairly well (and they cite their sources.)

I think whoever wrote that just didn't care for Eva. /shrug

Hum, no. Really, they research most stuff, but when they get to history everything falls down like a deck of cards.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sat May 04, 2013 7:01 am

The tone of this article is nothing anyone who's been aware of Evangelion for a while hasn't seen before. Shinji is a wimp, robots are awesome, psychology is pretentious, EoTV sucks, EoE was too disturbing, etc, etc, etc. It's like we're back in 1999 again.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Sat May 04, 2013 9:15 am

SPOILER: Show
Shinji Ikari

Great. Just what we needed. A crazier profile pic to show the character. That's nice.
Asuka Langley Soryu

... Shit.

But in seriousness though, :hitthetable:

MoroNoKimi
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby MoroNoKimi » Sat May 04, 2013 11:32 am

View Original PostJustacrazyguy wrote:Hum, no. Really, they research most stuff, but when they get to history everything falls down like a deck of cards.

Really? I had been under the impression that they did all right with that, and their sources don't usually look like randomcrackpot.org sort of things to me.
I'm honestly curious, since you seem to know more about this than I do.

It's sad that the entire Cracked community seems to take a negative view of anime as a whole, though. What a shame. It's not like Eva is really for everyone, but there's a LOT of anime out there and to dismiss the medium entirely... sheesh.

Then again, this place is the only forum I use, so I don't especially have a good inventory of what other places are like. Perhaps disdain for anime occurs relatively commonly, for all I know.

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Sat May 04, 2013 11:41 am

View Original PostMoroNoKimi wrote:Really? I had been under the impression that they did all right with that, and their sources don't usually look like randomcrackpot.org sort of things to me.
I'm honestly curious, since you seem to know more about this than I do.

I´m not saying they fail at everything related with history, but there was that time when they said wimen weren´t treated very bad in the middle ages because people didn´t have time for that and were to busy working or that time when they said the wild west wasn´t so wild and people respected the "guns forbiden in this town" rules. On a non history related note they also said crime rates are lower in Mexico.

What I´m trying to say is that many times they try to go for that SHOCK value and ignore the facts that contadict what they are trying to prove. You don´t get as many people reading if you only say boring truths.

Edit:Also, on the "cracked no likey animes", maybe liking animes isn´t hip or cool or whatever terms youngsters use these days.

Logan Payne
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Logan Payne » Sat May 04, 2013 1:05 pm

View Original PostObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:It's like we're back in 1999 again.

Party like it's 1999!--

Also cracked.com is linkbait for ads...the only way to get ad money on Eva when you have nothing to add is to try and drive traffic by making people mad. But then again its all kinda true, we love Eva anyway.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat May 04, 2013 3:22 pm

View Original Posttomrule123 wrote:
Shinji Ikari

Asuka Langley Soryu

... Shit.

But in seriousness though, :hitthetable:

They make it sound like a chick making that face while she straddles you in a bad thing.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Sat May 04, 2013 3:27 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:They make it sound like a chick making that face while she straddles you in a bad thing.

Well... Yeah. Because you know... With all this effort written on her face, she could be taking a dump. On you. So unless you're into scat...

XD
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat May 04, 2013 3:36 pm

Whoever wrote this article apparently did very little research whatsoever on the show. However, knowing Cracked, this article was created to be funny. It was not meant to be a comprehensive review of the series, and anybody that gets infuriated by it needs to take that foot-long pole out of their ass. ^_^

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Sat May 04, 2013 3:53 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Whoever wrote this article apparently did very little research whatsoever on the show. However, knowing Cracked, this article was created to be funny. It was not meant to be a comprehensive review of the series, and anybody that gets infuriated by it needs to take that foot-long pole out of their ass. ^_^

Well, apparently not caring for shitty attempts at humor and having higher standards for comedy necessary implies i have things up my rectum. At least i guess it explains why i've been so bitchy lately.

The fact that it's comedy and therefore we shouldn't take the form and effort put into it seriously makes as much sense for me as dismissing film or animation critiques on the basis that they're not "real".

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat May 04, 2013 4:02 pm

View Original PostDream wrote:The fact that it's comedy and therefore we shouldn't take the form and effort put into it seriously makes as much sense for me as dismissing film or animation critiques on the basis that they're not "real".

If the author had done more research into the show, I wouldn't have complained. In fact, I would have appreciated the article for providing a contrary viewpoint to my own. However, seeing as very little effort seems to have gone into crafting this piece, I really couldn't care about it.

On a side note, there used to be an article on Uncyclopedia making fun of everything about Evangelion. It was not meant to be serious whatsoever. I loved it, because a lot of time and effort had gone into crafting it. The article on Cracked was merely poorly done.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Sat May 04, 2013 4:07 pm

... So except for appreciating a contrary viewpoint just by virtue of being contrary, i guess we're in violent agreement then.

I´m not saying they fail at everything related with history, but there was that time when they said wimen weren´t treated very bad in the middle ages because people didn´t have time for that and were to busy working or that time when they said the wild west wasn´t so wild and people respected the "guns forbiden in this town" rules. On a non history related note they also said crime rates are lower in Mexico.

What I´m trying to say is that many times they try to go for that SHOCK value and ignore the facts that contadict what they are trying to prove. You don´t get as many people reading if you only say boring truths.

Well, there are always mistakes, and i guess even the editors and writers commit small oversights like those, they are after all just human.

However, regarding your second paragraph, while the intereresting value certainly plays a factor, i think i can be confident in saying that Cracked never intends to just make things up to make the articles more shocking. Really, if you saw the article process, i think you would be amazed at the high standards and rigorous filters all articles are put throught. They don't point out that it's important the truth you include in the article should be bizarre or interesting, though, that's certainly true.

EDIT: @Chuckman: I hold a higher opinion of Cracked, but i'll admit i might be biased.
Last edited by Dream on Sat May 04, 2013 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat May 04, 2013 4:12 pm

You guys realize that Cracked is basically an SEO farm, right? 90% of its content is about two steps above those gibberish blogs that crowd the results when you search for something popular.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Sat May 04, 2013 4:14 pm

Well, there are always mistakes, and i guess even the editors and writers commit small oversights like those, they are after all just human.

If you think those are small I don´t even want to know what are big oversights.

However, regarding your second paragraph, while the intereresting value certainly plays a factor, i think i can be confident in saying that Cracked never intends to just make things up to make the articles more shocking. Really, if you saw the article process, i think you would be amazed at the high standards and rigorous filters all articles are put throught. They don't point out that it's important the truth you include in the article should be bizarre or interesting, though, that's certainly true.

Now I´m curious. What high standards and filters are you talking about? I´d like to know.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”