Would you want Funimation to redub the series?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:07 am

View Original PostLance of LoL wrote:What's up with the "This isn't really me" thing?
There's a bit of the DC extended mind-rape where in the original, a line is spoke in turn by each of the female seiyuu; and in the ADV dub is just repeated by Tiff -- an instance where the re-dub has lost the original director's intent, regardless of the faithfulness of the translation.

I think we're drifting in the direction of http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/521/What-do-you-watch-with-Dub-or-Sub/ with the rest of the post.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Lance of LoL
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Lance of LoL » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:39 am

Ah, okay, that one escaped me. Thanks for clearing that up.

I dunno really, I don't think you can talk about whether you'd like one company to dub it rather than another without drifting into the thought of dubs vs. subs at times. Still, I think it was you (and out of laziness I'm not gonna check) who brought up that with updated dubbing techniques and such, it might be interesting to see Eva redone anyway. As for the complaints towards Funimation, every dub is going to have its problems, but if there's one thing I think everyone can agree on, at least it's not 4Kids.
Avatar: MAKE WAY FOR THE HOMO SUPERIOR!

>>>>Rebuild of Evangelion RP "If the only prayer you ever say in your entire life is thank you, it will be enough."~Meister Eckhart<<<<

Nuke-kun: I know not of this "civil conversation" bullshit you speak of.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:25 am

Every dub has problems, and every sub has problems. You really need to become fluent in Japanese to truly watch it in Japanese.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Merkaba
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Merkaba » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:26 pm

To me, what's the point of having the volume on if I'm watching subs when I can't understand what they're saying. That's why I prefer dubs; the audio element applies to me.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:34 pm

View Original PostMerkaba wrote:To me, what's the point of having the volume on if I'm watching subs when I can't understand what they're saying. That's why I prefer dubs; the audio element applies to me.

There's tons of stuff to listen to other than the dialogue, even when watching subs. After a while I got used to following the action and reading the subs at the same time.

@Lance of LoL I don't think 4kids would have enough material for a single episode by the time they finished cutting out the "naughty bits".

Also, I just noticed that an acronym for your user name would still be "LoL". Made me think of this.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Merkaba
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Merkaba » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:58 pm

^ What I'm saying is that I can hear those same background noises and my native language with the dubs. I like hearing things I can understand.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:18 pm

Things like the growling of the Evangelions appear on the speech track of the original, not as sound effects; so a re-dub affects more than you might at first realise.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:31 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Things like the growling of the Evangelions appear on the speech track of the original, not as sound effects; so a re-dub affects more than you might at first realise.

And Kyoko has such a sexy growl. :devil:
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Lance of LoL
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Lance of LoL » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:19 pm

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:Also, I just noticed that an acronym for your user name would still be "LoL". Made me think of this.

I feel like an idiot. I don't get the joke. T~T

>>>>Rebuild of Evangelion RP "If the only prayer you ever say in your entire life is thank you, it will be enough."~Meister Eckhart<<<<

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:21 pm

View Original PostLance of LoL wrote:I feel like an idiot. I don't get the joke. T~T

Look at the first letter in each of the six words and read it right after the six words.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:06 pm

View Original PostMerkaba wrote:To me, what's the point of having the volume on if I'm watching subs when I can't understand what they're saying. That's why I prefer dubs; the audio element applies to me.

You get the emotions conveyed by the actors and can pick out the different voices.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:08 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:You get the emotions conveyed by the actors and can pick out the different voices.

Yea, I've avoided the dub at all costs because of this, specifically anything with Tiffany Grant. Can't reasonably criticize, since I haven't heard her work, but I don't want to hear Asuka as her in my head. Even muted the "That little redhead girl" video, though that was also out of embarrassment. You easily start picking out the characters voices, and it's not hard to even think them in English.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:16 pm

View Original PostCJD wrote:specifically anything with Tiffany Grant.
Tiff isn't bad when she's not being Asuka -- her Altena in Noir was actually not bad; just that the rest of the dub was abysmal there.

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:22 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Tiff isn't bad when she's not being Asuka -- her Altena in Noir was actually not bad; just that the rest of the dub was abysmal there.

You know it is entirely possible I've even heard her in another dub over the years and not realized it. Only dub actors I can usually recognize are the Blumster and the guy who played Lelouch, because the guy who played Lelouch can apparently only do one voice and Blum keeps getting paid specifically to do the same voice.

Lance of LoL
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Lance of LoL » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:29 pm

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:Look at the first letter in each of the six words and read it right after the six words.

Ah, I see where I went wrong, I was trying to read it as all one word apart from the six words. Got it... That's impressive, still, very off topic so I'll shut up now.

Agentomega
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Agentomega » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:43 pm

Uh... *coughs awkwardly* I uh... Rather enjoyed Tiffany Grant's Asuka. *gets the heck outta Dodge*
Avatar: Rhoe Amariyo (© 2010-2014 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved. FINAL FANTASY X|V)
Karigane Shirou in LoL's RP - Rebuild of Evangelion: We Are (Not) Together
"'I was a nerd before it was cool' ~Agent" ~Lance of LoL

Zeldafan888
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Zeldafan888 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:57 am

Yeah the show needs a re-dub considering the flaws the original dubs had such as it's generic voice acting in the first half, there ware lot of errors in it English script, it had a inconsistent cast for side characters that varies between episodes and movies.

But that does't mean it was a completely bad dub compared to the Japanese version, the performances in the second half of the tv series and rebuild saved it.

For it time, it was one of the first dub to start having more natural performances after decades of terrible voice acting(and it much better then utena's soulless English dub too)

As for Funimation re-dubbing, absolutely no, I don't really trust them re-dubbing the tv series considering they replaced a good portion of the cast including Rei.

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:38 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I wish they'd replaced Tiffany Grant. Do I blaspheme?

I may agree at times on this, but to her credit, her performance of Asuka does tend to get better overtime. The beginning of her appearance in the original series was Grant's weakest, then at near the end of that show, her performance has been improved, then stronger in End of Eva, and getting much better in Eva Rebuild.
This would pretty much say the same thing for Spike Spencer and Allison Keith (the three (along with Grant) are always the main three that would always be in everything Evangelion.)

EVAfacepalm
Sachiel
Sachiel

Would you want a redone dub?

•      
  •      

Postby EVAfacepalm » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:57 am

It's commonly agreed among the fandom that the dub for Evangelion messed up quite a few things. An idea suddenly came to me that with the voice actors already together and working on Rebuild's dub, Gainax could find all the scenes that were messed up by the dub script and redo and reedit them to fit closer to the original. Then they could rerelease the full series with these edits as a "definitive cut". If this happened would you buy it? Personally I would, but maybe some people who have already bought both Japanese and English version boxed sets would get mad at a new version. What do you think? Would this even be possible?
According to Seele, Tang is the ultimate form of life. I guess that means the astronauts are committing genocide all the time then.

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:53 am

SPOILER: Show

Because it doesn't guarantee that the second time will be better, and that seems to be just to much work when they are already doing rebuild
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”