The headcanon thread

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: The headcanon thread

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:00 am

^ I always pegged Shinji as at the least bi-curious, rarely are people 100% straight or 100% gay
As for personal headcanons because lolmultiverse there is a universe out there where 2nd Rei survived all the way to the end of the series and for whatever reason 3rd impact never came to be.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:36 pm

View Original PostLeoXiao wrote:Gendo is actually a good guy, or has good intentions.
That's not headcanon, that's what the series, and the ending especially, tell us. Shinji being front and centre is just misdirection from his father being the Byronic hero of the piece.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:32 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:That's not headcanon, that's what the series, and the ending especially, tell us.

Are you sure? Because he seemed rather pathetic when I saw EoE
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:56 pm

You miss the point - that was Mr. Tines's headcanon!

:devil:

(To be fair, quite a lot of people here show more sympathy for Gendou than I've ever been able to muster.)
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:07 am

What possible reason could he have to lie in either ending, regardless of what Ritsuko thinks? He's played all his cards and can only wait and see how it goes.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:55 am

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:Are you sure? Because he seemed rather pathetic when I saw EoE
EoE did a hatchet job on both the Ikaris, and turned out a Shinji BAD END scenario, as opposed to EoTV's Gendo GOOD END.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:13 am

Again, I need a like button. We are, as usual, of a single mind on this one Tines.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:15 am

It's hard for me to respond to these kinds of things because I'm not sure where I'm supposed to draw the line between an interpretation and a headcanon. Personally, I define an interpretation as something that plausibly could've been authorial intent, while a headcanon is something that is most certainly not authorial intent but is treated as such. I don't know if everyone else uses those same definitions, though.

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:EoE did a hatchet job on both the Ikaris, and turned out a Shinji BAD END scenario, as opposed to EoTV's Gendo GOOD END.

I think EoE can only be construed as a BAD END for Shinji if it's being viewed from a literal perspective instead of an allegorical one. I think it'd be more reasonable to deem it bittersweet. As for Gendo.. he wasn't in EoTV enough for me to say he had any sort of ending. I mean, we saw him with Yui, but supposedly Shinji broke instrumentality in that ending, so.. he's not with Yui anymore?

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:Are you sure? Because he seemed rather pathetic when I saw EoE

He's sympathetic, yes. Nyeh heh heh. Really, though, I see him as a tragic figure. He was willing to do some very unethical things, possibly* including destroying the world, to be with her again. If we assume that he's a grown-up Shinji, then we can assume he didn't like himself very much and worshipped Yui because he felt validated by her. Come to think of it, would Kaworu have had the same effect on Shinji, had he not turned out to be an angel? Would Shinji have forever been obsessed with him and done everything in his power to reunite with him?
{3.33 spoilers}  SPOILER: Show
Holy crap, I think I have 4.0 figured out. Shinji attempts to take control of Instrumentality to reunite with Kaworu.

*I said "possibly" because I think his version of Instrumentality would've only included him and Yui. No one else. Just Gendo and Yui. Gendo and Yui and their adventures. Yui, Gendo and Yui forever. A hundred years Gendo and Yui. Gendo and Yui runnin' around and Gendo and Yui time all day long forever. A hundred days Gendo and Yui. Forever, a hundred times. Over and over, Gendo and Yui adventures. http://www.gendoandyuiadventures.com. http://www.gendoandyui.com. http://www.gendoandyuiadventuresahundre ... andyui.com. http://www.ahundredtimes.com; http://www.gendoandyui.com.

Oh, right, headcanons. Something I don't think Anno intended. Uhhh.. Shinji and Asuka lived into old age by eating chunks of GNR. The meat never goes bad because it's the meat of a literal God. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this at least once on the site, though. It's not that I think it's particularly funny, but I just feel as though this is exactly what happens after EoE.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:24 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:EoE did a hatchet job on both the Ikaris, and turned out a Shinji BAD END scenario, as opposed to EoTV's Gendo GOOD END.

I'm pretty sure Anno knows what story he's trying to tell
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Glor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Glor » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:49 am

View Original PostTumbling Down wrote:http://www.gendoandyuiadventures.com.

I'm very upset this isn't real.

Oh, right, headcanons. Something I don't think Anno intended. Uhhh.. Shinji and Asuka lived into old age by eating chunks of GNR. The meat never goes bad because it's the meat of a literal God. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this at least once on the site, though. It's not that I think it's particularly funny, but I just feel as though this is exactly what happens after EoE.

Rei Stew does sound pretty appetizing. Don't we see GNR falling apart and everything though? I always assumed her body broke down like any other dead thing.
Amarantos - an NGE AU, beginning with Asuka, Shinji, and a garden. Take a look. Couldn't hurt.

"Anything can be Evangelion related if you have the will to twist it." -Joseki.

TraxXavier
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby TraxXavier » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:42 pm

In my head canon, the angels have been manufactured by the Atlanteans from "the secret of blue water".
Aboard of read noah we see what is supposed to be Adams original body, as well as some things that look awfully lot like an EVA factory.

Imho. all that SEELE knows from the dead see scrolls may have been perverted for centurys by mouth to mouth transfer before it was written down by some one. So for that matter all that SEELE thinks is true may in fact just be as true as any other religion, a.k.a. not at all.

The interesting question however would be for what purpose the Atlanteans have manufactured the angels, and if thay head some own human instrumentality scenario planned.

You know once you manufactured a self replicating humanoid that starts to run havoc on the planet, you may want to deploy some mechanism to install some patches after the initial release. right?!

Trax
Evangelion x Earth Final Conflict crossover FanFic: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11613231/1/Deus-est-Nadia
Discussion thread: thread/17927/Deus-est-Nadia/?f=28

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:58 am

View Original PostTraxXavier wrote:In my head canon, the angels have been manufactured by the Atlanteans from "the secret of blue water".

This idea hews very closely to a draft version of NGE, where the First Ancestral Race basically WERE the Atlanteans and the Angels were in fact weapons created by them. Obviously, though, this idea was completely abandoned by EoE at the latest, what with Adam being a "source of life" who birthed the form of "humanity" called the Angels.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

(Not)
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby (Not) » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:57 pm

Toji's sister healed just in time to watch him pass away in the hospital.

No episodic memories are shared between Reis, only vague familiarities with people.

The Dead Sea Scrolls are stored in a very special location that is immune to time resets, allowing past iterations of the timeline to transmit information to future iterations of the timeline. SEELE is a successful world-controlling shadow conspiracy because its founder gained access to his other selves' advice on the matter.

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:58 pm

View Original Post(Not) wrote:The Dead Sea Scrolls are stored in a very special location that is immune to time resets, allowing past iterations of the timeline to transmit information to future iterations of the timeline. SEELE is a successful world-controlling shadow conspiracy because its founder gained access to his other selves' advice on the matter.

Rebuild explained??? :cringe:

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:35 am

Not really

Ophelia
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ophelia » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:52 pm

View Original Post(Not) wrote:Toji's sister healed just in time to watch him pass away in the hospital.

How dare you make me read this with my own two eyes. You monster.

My headcanons are inane, trivial and silly for the most part. The Three Stooges have a secret handshake, but they initially made it so long and complicated that they forget how it goes constantly. Little things like that. Also because of that one tumblr meme (I guess you could call it a meme?) Fuyutsuki is partial to peppermints.

(Not)
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby (Not) » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:01 pm

During Third Impact, all humans were voluntarily argued into accepting Instrumentality. Rei is just really good at arguing.

Not only is all of human civilization time-looping, but angels are humanities who went Instrumentality in past loops.

View Original PostOphelia wrote:How dare you make me read this with my own two eyes. You monster.

Thanks!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:56 pm

View Original Post(Not) wrote:Not only is all of human civilization time-looping, but angels are humanities who went Instrumentality in past loops.

Well, the Angels are reincarnated from FAR souls who would have needed to undergo an Instrumentality-like process in order to be collected into the Seeds' Chambers of Guf, so this isn't completely wrong.

Also, eerily, reminds me of an abandoned fanfic of mine where Yui runs into another legacy of the FAR: a race that attempted HIP and failed. The giant soul cluster that had formed couldn't maintain integrity and began to gradually cast off its constituent souls, which in turn were being reborn as entities similar to Adam's Children.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:06 pm

NEW HEADCANON (unless disproven)
Adams children are a failed attempt at angelic instrumentality as Reichu described above

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:30 pm

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:NEW HEADCANON (unless disproven)
Adams children are a failed attempt at angelic instrumentality as Reichu described above

They're just the type of humanity that results from from a Seed going the Fruit of Life route, nothing special about it. "Instrumentality" as we know the term is a form of artificial evolution made possible by both types of Seeds being on the same planet. The Angels are not the product of this, but one of the imperfect humanities made "complete" through the union of fruits.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”