Is Anno a big fan of Cowboy Bebop?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
khronos
Embryo

Is Anno a big fan of Cowboy Bebop?

•      
  •      

Postby khronos » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:53 pm

Ever since 3.0 came out, I found some of the new characters very similar to Jet, Julia, Spike (the first three from left to right except Midori):

Has anybody else noticed it?

Btw, happy new year!

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: Is Anno a big fan of Cowboy Bebop?

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:14 am

It's been brought up with an overlay recently in another thread I can't find right now;
Anno is a fan of a great many things you would or would not expect, so I can certainly see it being possible
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:20 am

The battle of supremacy between Neon Genesis Evangelion and Cowboy Bebop is a legendary staple of American 90's anime fandom.

The question is, did that legendary battle ever cross back over to Japan?

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:50 am

Im under the impression that Cowboy Bebop is/was much more popular in North America than Japan. As such, I don't think there was much of a war in Japan between the two. Could be wrong though.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Heaven Piercing Man
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Heaven Piercing Man » Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:02 am

Not to look down on it, but the only reason Cowboy Bebop was mainstream in the West was because it was "surface" enough since it was not "anime" enough, so high schoolers could openly say they liked it without losing face with the cool kids.
Evangelion, in three words: How Strangely Erotic

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:40 am

View Original Postkhronos wrote:Has anybody else noticed it?

Even when the characters on the shop front were still just silhouettes...

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:
View Original PostJoseki#904501 wrote:I think the new bridge bunnies have a very unique look, they are more Cowboy Bebop than NGE, at least to me.

Originally posted here but lost to the mists of time.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Lacissal
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Lacissal » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:20 am

The new members of the Wunder bridge crew, especially Midori, always reminded me more of the other characters from Diebuster

intermediateO
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby intermediateO » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:04 am

My pet theory is that some of the crew, and the Wunder itself, are actually based off the Gekko State and it's crew from Eureka Seven.
Sumire, Koji, and Midori respectively mirror Talho, Ken-goh, and Gidget. Their placements on the bridge, their ship responsibilities, their physical appearances, and even there personalities line up. I basically always see Gidget when I see Midori.
The bird-like design of the Wunder is also way more similar to the Gekko-gou than any other ship in a Anno's own filmography.
Even the bridge is in the exact same location, as an almost mini-head hiding on the chin of what would be the pseudo-head of the bird.
And even though the Wunder's backstory hasn't been completely layed out yet, it is probably almost exactly the same as the Gekko-gou's.
"An experimental ship that was being made in secret by the military is stolen by defectors of said military and then said ship is used by said defectors to fight against said military."

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:45 am

I feel like if there's any intended correlation between the Wunder crew and some other fictional crew, it's probably the crew of the Nautilus from Nadia. Misato and Ritsuko already have a working relationship similar to that of Nemo and Electra. Of course, inspiration from Cowboy Bepop is entirely possible, too.

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:34 pm

I don't think this is a "one or nothing" situation here; as I said earlier, Anno is a huge nerd, and I can absolutely see all of these being something that he'd throw in a reference to
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”