Star Wars

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:54 pm

It had been earlier mentioned that a bunch of original trilogy side characters would be returning, and my mind had initially gone to Ackbar and Mon Mothma, so it's nice to see that he's been confirmed. Although, as the writer of the article also says, it would be incredibly annoying if he ends up saying that infamous line of his again.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:25 am

^I fear that he will have to say it or nearly say it again in order to fan the flames of nostalgia...
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:30 am

View Original PostSachi wrote:It had been earlier mentioned that a bunch of original trilogy side characters would be returning, and my mind had initially gone to Ackbar and Mon Mothma, so it's nice to see that he's been confirmed. Although, as the writer of the article also says, it would be incredibly annoying if he ends up saying that infamous line of his again.

If George Lucas were directing, it would be his only line.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:47 am

If Ackbar's back I might actually watch this silly flick.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:57 pm

Considering Abrams shoehorned in 'KHAAAN' for Into Darkness, I am pessimistic.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:00 pm

It's going to be trash, no question, but I'm a sucker for cool aliens.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby KingXanaduu » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:01 pm

As someone who thought the prequels were fun in their own right (please hold of your pitchforks people), I'm willing to see what's in store for this movie. Directors have hit/miss moments, but that shouldn't dissuade us. Tim Burton has made crap tons of times in his movies, but when he makes something that works, it really works. So, I'll give it a shot for Abbrams.
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby movieartman » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:04 pm

Rumor has it, that Michael B Jordan will play a new person who has taken on the perosna of Boba Fett after Return of the Jedi, I am down with this as long as they show that Boba dragged himself out of the Sarlacc and maybe retired or perhaps died in the dunes and his body found by Jordan who takes the armor, anything as long as he is not being digested in the Sarlacc for that thousand years.
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/ ... /?a=125782

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:57 pm

Alright, guys. Now we can all scrutinize the official poster. :wink: http://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars- ... s-and-more

SPOILER: Show

First things that come to mind for me:

- the absence of Luke from the ensemble. Probably just has to do with maintaining the mystery surrounding his character. His face wasn't shown in the trailer either.

- is that a new Death Star?
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:01 pm

A great big MEH from me here.
The composition is OK and all but something about the poses here feels a little...boring?
Also New death star, great. :facepalm:
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

Postby Defectron » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:08 pm

Where did they get the new death star from? Does the empire just have those lying around?
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:12 pm

It's a far better poster than the last, but that new saber still bugs me. And yeah, yet another Death Star? If Han doesn't crack a joke about that I'll be very disappointed.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:16 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:It's a far better poster than the last, but that new saber still bugs me. And yeah, yet another Death Star? If Han doesn't crack a joke about that I'll be very disappointed.

IKR? At least the expanded universe changed it up with a supernova Starship bomb here and there.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:20 pm

Pretty sure this movie will be decent but will mostly be direct lifts or homages to the original Star Wars trilogy with a few "What a Tweest!" surprises thrown in for fans. The idea that the ultimate weapon in the new film is probably just going to be ANOTHER Death Star (with murder spikes) feels like the type of pandering that J J Abrams does so well that I hate so much.
But, with Rian "I did Brick, The Brothers Bloom, Looper & the best episodes of Breaking Bad motherfuckers!" Johnson in charge of the story & direction of Episode 8 the new Star Wars trilogy should at least have one masterpiece entry.
Then Colin Trevorrow will happily come along with his brand of mediocrity & take it back to "okay".

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:33 pm

Let me guess, that Death Star will blow up?

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:43 pm

That woman is the protagonist of this film, yes? The composition of the poster screams "she is the protagonist".

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:59 pm

Probably. Then again it might be the black guy in the right, either way one or the other seems to be the secondary protag.
I'm also betting like 10 fake pounds they will hook up by the end of the movie, because that has to always happen for some reason.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:27 pm

I think it's her, yes, and if so that would be a refreshing change (well, assuming Abrams doesn't rub it in our face or something, which is always possible).

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:28 pm

I'm not as down on Abrams as the rest of the internet but I see that being a real possibility. He and Whedon share an issue where their talent is overwhelmed by LOOK I'M DOING (PROGRESSIVE THING) GIVE ME KUDOS

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:03 pm

I like this poster. I really do.

I'm alright with JJ. I really am. I don't like his Star Treks, mind you, but I'm alright with JJ. (But he's certainly not great, though.)

And yeah, I do kinda compare JJ with to Whedon a lot as well. Though, I don't particularly care for Whedon as much. JJ's Lost was way better than any square inch of any of Whedon's shows ever wanted to be, and the internet can burn for me for saying that if it wants to. Heck for a while there, Lost was better than anything playing in the movies at the time. But both directors seem to try too hard for being noticed for just about anything, not just progressive things. Neither of them have found a way to show anything happening naturally.

Return to “Film and Video”