Last Movie You Watched

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:28 am

View Original PostFireball wrote:I watched it the other day too and it had some ridiculous forced situations
SPOILER: Show
like Costner killing himself to save the dog or Superman snapping Zod's neck instead of just tossing his ass away.
Not to mention the moment realise that Zod wanted to terraform the earth with dubstep because he wouldn't let his people subject to a few headaches from the atmoshpere.

Guess it's hard to make a good Sups movie in this day and age. Still, probably the best Dragon Ball film we'll ever get.

I thought that
SPOILER: Show
Superman killing Zod worked. Nolan didn't direct but this is a very Nolaney film and it lifted a bunch of stuff from various sources in the comics. In this case, Zod is partly lifted from Byrne's run on the comics, in which Superman executes Zod and his crew with Kryptonite because there's no other way to stop them.

The problem was that they didn't sell it. They never really made it clear why this character would be so reluctant to kill him... and they cheated by making it an immediate decision whether or not to save that group of people when Zod and his crew had pretty clearly already killed thousands, probably tens of thousands of people in Metropolis already. Unless all of those people the buildings were falling on managed to miraculously wind up in little debris pockets like Jenny Olsen. Putting some faces in imminent danger gave him a kind of an out for killing Zod, when it should have been a weightier decision to make and a defining moment for the character.

This probably IS nitpicky, but he really should have been trying to get Zod away from a populated area, especially during the Smallville fight. They really missed out on making the fights even more kinetic and more importantly, letting them add some characterization in addition to the spectacle.

The movie really felt like a summary of a better story to me, like it assumes you already know the story.

I think they really missed a chance with the terraforming/colonization plot. It would have been a real shocker for the audience and a meatier story if they skipped Zod and just had Jor-El planning to terraform Earth. The whole idea of Clark/Kal being a bridge between peoples or whatever adds nothing to the story as such and if you cut out a couple of throwaway lines mentioning it, you lose nothing.

Parts of the origin were good, but Pa Kent's death was lame and incredibly forced and his death added nothing to the movie except an homage to the Reeve films. I'd rather they just skipped it entirely and focused on Clark wandering the world and finding himself while Lois tracks him down. That was a neat idea that basically had five minutes of screen time and no development.

The other thing that was weird was that there was no "moment". I get that they didn't want to be cheesy, but Superman didn't come off as particularly heroic. Everyone goes from hating and fearing him to adoring him in five minutes.

It's funny- all the little details are right. I love the way they portrayed his powers, but they had this thing where they wanted to modernize and update everything, but it's like they were afraid to go through with it and kept veering back into a safe space and it made the movie feel really gutless. It didn't really add anything to the screen portrayal of Superman except updated special effects.

Really, its' guilty of the biggest sin- to tell a good Superman story you have to throw a problem at him that he can't solve by punching it (or whipping out a spur of the moment, highly specific superpower).

MoS had about five ideas for really good movies in it that ended up getting buried.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Sgt. Griff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Sgt. Griff » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:40 pm

Bruce Lee: My Brother

For a foreign film, it was surprisingly watchable. All dem anime sub reading skills are finally paying off.

It's the retelling of Bruce Lee's life by his younger brother Robert, very entertaining. Would recommend.
Leave Shinji alone

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby gatotsu911 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:20 am

Watched American Beauty for class, which I hadn't seen since high school. I remembered hating it. I remembered right. What a pretentious piece of crap.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Postby Gus Hanson » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:57 pm

Watched the original Gojira film with my dad this afternoon. We had a ball laughing at the campy effects of the time while admiring the courage Serizawa had in agreeing to use the Oxygen Destroyer against Godzilla. Only problem with the film in my mind at least is Dr. Yamane's pacifistic approach to dealing with the menace by saying we should study how the creature lived for so long and not worry about the radiation problems that haunted the Japanese society in that time. Makes him seem a bit insensitive if you ask me.

Dr. Talos
Adam

Postby Dr. Talos » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:38 pm

Watched All is Lost. A thrilling testament to the human spirit, a survival tale about man against nature, man against bad luck, man against the indifference of other men and perhaps most importantly man against himself. Barley a word of dialogue was spoken but my attention did not waver from the grim determination on the screen before me. Redford was excellent throughout, stoic and possessed with an almost fanatical resoluteness in his will to survive. Alex Ebert's score though sparsely used was excellent.

If I were to compare it to the other major survival film of late, that being Gravity, I would say All is Lost is (if you'll pardon the pun) more down to earth. It is no where near the same technical marvel that Gravity is but it handles many of the same themes with what I felt was far greater subtlety and authenticity.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Postby Gus Hanson » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:30 pm

Evil Dead (2013) - As much as it promotes Mia as the main character, i truly feel like this was more David's movie since it follows his actions throughout a majority of the film. I think it could've done well without Natalie since she's almost invisible being merely gore bait. Aside from those character traits, the film as a whole works best as a thriller with it's level of what's there scares rather than it's gore horror status.

The Zombie Diaries - While the human dramas are somewhat good situations and the camera POV angle does work in a film like this, the effects are laughable at times which takes away from the experience a lot.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:18 am

Just went and saw Catching Fire. It was pretty solid. I hope they get the third film out quickly.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Postby Gus Hanson » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:37 am

Into the Mirror - A very different piece of work than the American release Mirrors, the Korean original works as a detective thriller with a little bit of ghost proponents thrown in.

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby driftking18594 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:34 pm

I went to see Gravity today in 3D (the 2D version was only being shown at around 9pm, so that was a no-go). It's one of those movies where the 3D adds to it, especially given its extensive use of a first-person viewing perspective.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Guy Nacks » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:13 am

I concur with the monkey wholeheartedly. Only having read the first book, I thought that Catching fire was an exceptional sequel.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Sgt. Griff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Sgt. Griff » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:17 pm

Watched Captain Phillips with a friend. You guys should go see it.
Leave Shinji alone

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:35 pm

Malik Bendjelloul's Searching for Sugar Man: An exceptionally engaging and well-directed documentary that completely diminished my fear of seeing yet another overtly sentimental piece of worship (like biographical documentaries tend to be, especially ones of musicians).
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Madonna
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Madonna » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:59 pm

Carrie

Classic horror film, absolutely entertaining from start to end, and that ending is absolutely iconic. Going to see the remake soon too.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:47 am

Went and watched Catching Fire. Better than the book, but left out a few plot points that I would have liked to have seen. Katniss isn't nearly as much of an idiot as she was in the books, which was nice.

CATCHING FIRE

8.7/10

Dr. Talos
Adam

Postby Dr. Talos » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:51 am

Saw 12 Years a Slave, a consummate masterpiece and the greatest film made concerning American Slavery. It manged to never to slip into sentimentality and portrayed with unflinching realism the disgusting horror that was the institution of slavery. It was a harrowing experience.

JeffersonLeeEng
Embryo

Postby JeffersonLeeEng » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:17 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Just went and saw Catching Fire. It was pretty solid. I hope they get the third film out quickly.

The third *and* FOURTH movies... :uhh:
Jefferson Lee Eng
(Insert something witty here.)
http://www.otakugeneration.net | http://www.fanboyhell.com

Ænimal
Banned

Postby Ænimal » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:25 pm

View Original PostMadonna wrote:Carrie
Going to see the remake soon too.

Are you referring to the 2002 remake or the one that came out this year? Regardless of which, prepare to be extremely disappointed

Madonna
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Madonna » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:56 pm

View Original PostÆnimal wrote:Are you referring to the 2002 remake or the one that came out this year? Regardless of which, prepare to be extremely disappointed

I've seen the 2002 one which was totally mediocre, I was referring to the 2013 one; I've already read some of the mixed reactions, so I'm curious to see it.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Postby Gus Hanson » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:03 pm

Jingle All the Way - The extended cut provided extra laughs from this long treasured Christmas classic including the one scene featuring Lisa Simpson's voice actress.

Sgt. Griff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Sgt. Griff » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:44 am

Johnny got his gun

You can find it on the interwebs perty much anywhere. It's an anti war movie based on an anti war novel about a guy who loses his sight, hearing, legs arms and mouth in a war. It's strikingly Evangelionesque in some parts, as the main character struggles with coming to terms with himself.
Leave Shinji alone

Return to “Film and Video”