The Dark Knight Rises

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby arkiel » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:59 pm

‎-We were in this together, and then you were gone. Now there's evil, rising. The Batman has to come back.
What if he doesn't exist anymore?
-He must. He must.

(posted because I couldn't hear shit in the theater)

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:36 pm

I wonder if Gordon is in the hospital because of something Bane did to him, or because of some irrelevant reason.

McDirty
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby McDirty » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:55 pm

This is just a theory, but I think this movie might be adapting the Knightfall storyline. If it is, then it explains why the teaser suggests Batman is 'absent' and then returns.

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:18 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:The official HD trailer is right here: http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=2054374751994

Hmmm... nice that the included the Liam Neeson lines from the first films as a tie-in, but I don't like that font at the end. =/ Needs to be sharper, otherwise, I guess it looks okay.
Voluntary Illusion.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:00 pm

View Original PostMcDirty wrote:This is just a theory, but I think this movie might be adapting the Knightfall storyline. If it is, then it explains why the teaser suggests Batman is 'absent' and then returns.

I thought Batman was absent after everyone blamed him for Harvey Dent's death. [/emo batman]
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:43 pm

Trailer looks pretty cool. I'm still afraid this movie might be a let down compared to TDK though.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Uriel Septim VII
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Uriel Septim VII » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:38 pm

View Original PostTrajan wrote:Trailer looks pretty cool. I'm still afraid this movie might be a let down compared to TDK though.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bit more positive darling.
AVATAR-- Hedy Lamarr: actor, inventor of spread spectrum communications technology, and main villain of Blazing Saddles.

You know what, rip me off once, shame on me. But twice? I'm coming after you and taking back what's mine. --Billy Mays

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:52 pm

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=102847

Thread turned into a debate about Nolan's merits as a director. The only ones SRS BSNZ are the hipster-critics, especially the cineaste dickhat with the yellow sig.

Hey, Nolan isn't Tarantino of this decade.

Fuck all that shit, I'm watching; I don't give a shit about a director's quality or about actor quality as long as the film should thrill me -- the first two films were great IMO (can anyone else mention a superhero film that's so damn compelling? No, not Watchmen).

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:01 pm

Well, the guy comes off as a huge pretentious dickwad but he does have a point. The teaser isn't that good and the final shot of Bane approaching Batman was pretty horrible.

Still, nowhere near as bad as he makes it sound

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:08 pm

"Go make your own movie!" "It's easier to be a critic than to make a movie!"

If I get a nickel every time I hear any variations of those sentences...
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:30 pm

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:Fuck all that shit, I'm watching; I don't give a shit about a director's quality or about actor quality as long as the film should thrill me

But- the former... logically.... determines the latter - aaauuuggghhggblrhlgsldkfs-

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:51 pm

I just saw the trailer, it was underwhelming, but I think that is a good thing IMO, this could get over-hyped like TDK was due to the untimely passing of Heath Ledger, and a meh teaser could do a lot to under-promise a potentially good or great movie like this

as to the dipshit hipsters hating on Nolan, who btw can never accept the concept that something popular can actually be great as that would kill their elitist wet dreams of superiority over the great unwashed (i.e. most every Pixar film, the original Star Wars trilogy, etc.), Nolan possesses the greatest creative spark in mainstream Hollywood as of now IMO

the man can write a fucking awesome script that maybe only someone like Aronofsky or even Tarentino could compete against, someone like Nolan still has yet to be tied down and castrated by the greedy wanking pigs of the industry like Spielberg or Scorsese has, and even the hipster crowd should respect that compared to most every other director in Hollywood today

I may perhaps regret saying this, but you will never see something like "deep wang", a robot scrotum, Adam Sandler, Seth Rogen, Michael Cera, what's-his-name from that Zookeeper movie who needs to go away forever, or anything you would find in an Eli Roth or Kevin Williamson movie in Nolan's work...EVER
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:10 pm

Nolan will always get my support because for any flaws he may have as a filmmaker- as few as they are- he always places STORY first.

The great thing you can say about this teaser trailer is people are wondering what's going to happen IN THE STORY. When other blockbuster movies present their first look all people inevitably talk about is how cool/uncool the effects are & crap like that.

I enjoyed the trailer (don't know what you guys mean by the shot of Bane approaching Batman looking horrible- just sounds like bitching to bitch) & look forward to see how the film will come out.

As for why people attack Nolan? He's popular. It's easier to knock something when it's popularly known. You get more attention for it. The whole reason most people write long angry diatribes on the internet is for attention. Why would anyone read a 3000 word essay attacking Joe Schmoe, small time director of indie dramas when they could read why Martin Scorsese, Christopher Nolan, Stanley Kubrick, & other household filmmaker names are actually terrible.

It's noise.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:37 pm

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=102847

Thread turned into a debate about Nolan's merits as a director. The only ones SRS BSNZ are the hipster-critics, especially the cineaste dickhat with the yellow sig.
He brings up valid criticisms, despite how unreasonable his stance comes across. I generally like Nolan's style, but that hyper-edited shaky-cam garbage he pulls with action sequences strikes me as lazy film-making that he should be ashamed to even consider letting into the finished product. Parts of Inception were almost impossible to watch on the big screen specifically because of this problem. The car chases and shoot outs would have worked perfectly fine if somebody just steadied the goddamn camera. Batman's struggle with the Joker & his henchmen at the end of TDK is another good example. What the hell is the point to action if you can't even see it through all of the motion blur and shot cuts?

But don't mind me. I'm just a hipster hating on the popular man of the minute.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:50 pm

View Original PostMerridian wrote:Parts of Inception were almost impossible to watch on the big screen specifically because of this problem.

Perhaps that's why I did not have much problem watching Inception on a tiny screen at the back of a seat in a plane :w00t:
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

shinji_ryoji_89
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby shinji_ryoji_89 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:13 pm

I saw Inception on IMAX and the handheld sequences which were hardly handheld at all were perfect. Let's not pretend as if he is Paul Greengrass (Though I think his handheld action scenes are perfect) or Marc Forster all of a sudden.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:04 pm

View Original Postshinji_ryoji_89 wrote:I saw Inception on IMAX and the handheld sequences which were hardly handheld at all were perfect. Let's not pretend as if he is Paul Greengrass (Though I think his handheld action scenes are perfect) or Marc Forster all of a sudden.
"Perfect" handheld sequences should either involve minimal camera movement or are sporadic enough that their jarring effect doesn't wear off on the audience. Nolan's method suffers in both areas when it comes to action. He uses it just like most of the other current directors around use it, and it makes me motion sick when I'm watching it in the theatre. I hate the technique anyway though, since I don't typically like it even when Godard uses it.

I'm not saying he should shoot everything as long, steady takes; it's just that if he really wanted to 'break the mold' (whatever mold that is) and be an inspiring, interesting Hollywood director, maybe he should stop using all of the same techniques that every other director in Hollywood abuses to death. He's demonstrated a good eye for composition and he's shot some really fantastic scenes, but his action needs some work.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:11 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Perhaps that's why I did not have much problem watching Inception on a tiny screen at the back of a seat in a plane :w00t:

...because I've been used to playing first-person shooters that I don't feel much dizzy when watching.

shinji_ryoji_89
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby shinji_ryoji_89 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:35 am

View Original PostMerridian wrote:"Perfect" handheld sequences should either involve minimal camera movement or are sporadic enough that their jarring effect doesn't wear off on the audience. Nolan's method suffers in both areas when it comes to action. He uses it just like most of the other current directors around use it, and it makes me motion sick when I'm watching it in the theatre. I hate the technique anyway though, since I don't typically like it even when Godard uses it.

I'm not saying he should shoot everything as long, steady takes; it's just that if he really wanted to 'break the mold' (whatever mold that is) and be an inspiring, interesting Hollywood director, maybe he should stop using all of the same techniques that every other director in Hollywood abuses to death. He's demonstrated a good eye for composition and he's shot some really fantastic scenes, but his action needs some work.

The camera movement I saw in those scenes was minimal. Like I said, compared to Paul Greengrass' work, it was very steady and at no point did I find it confusing. And if I remember correctly, The Dark Knight had a bare minimum of hand held camera work and the action was cleared to see, with angles used a certain way to obscure blood or gore.

The only time it didn't really work for me was in Batman Begins, but even then, it was fine but I still feel it was done that way to make a point since the action scenes get clearer as the film goes along.

But if you have a problem with the technique, you aren't going to like it, no matter what director does it anyway.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:50 pm

- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Return to “Film and Video”