The Dark Knight Rises

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:37 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:The idea globally famous billionaire and celebrity can just waltz in cafe like that and no one recognizes him (make that "no one recognizes him the whole time that took place between preceding film and the epilogue") is fucking stupid.

He lied and said he was Christian Bale, like that dude in Glamorama. Everyone was simply too polite to go up to him and fanboy squeal. Not a very good plan, obviously, because he was banking on the myth of European politeness. At any point somebody could have gone up to him and said "I loved you in Hook" and when he said "Thank you" his cover would be blown*.

Honestly, Xard. How did you not get that?

*Reading fucking Glamorama, you dorks. This is one of the best meta-jokes I've ever read, which was only compounded by the fact that Bale later starred in an adaptation of Ellis's earlier American Psycho, meaning there's not two, but three dudes who look exactly alike running around this nonsensical terror plot.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:15 pm

I thought the
SPOILER: Show
ZERG COP RUSH and the street battle was awesome.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:59 pm

That was another braindead scene. Also more storyline enforced dickery from Batman because he could've just destroyed all of those army vehicles but instead he took out only one. DESPITE THE FACT EVEN ONE OF THOSE SHOULD'VE BEEN ENOUGH TO SHRED A SHITTON OF COPS TO PIECES, jesus (which didn't happen because...uhh, well I don't know, because the whole scene was fucking retarded and no one acted like they should've if they were one bit rational).

Of course there's reason why they couldn't allow Batman to destroy more than one of those vehicles: they were needed for the final, overlong chase scene.

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:Why can't Bruce Wayne do that? Nobody else knew he was Batman, so it really shouldn't matter if he got recognized or not. I realize this contradicts the "funeral" they had for Wayne earlier in the movie, but only 3 people showed up for that, so it wasn't exactly common knowledge that Wayne was "dead."

It'll end up in official records and newspapers regardless of how many people went to the funeral, of course. Mass com would naturally find that out as soon as Wayne's status in tax files would go from "paying bugger" to dead white male with no heirs

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:14 pm

It's hilarious how ridiculous argument about movies have become these days.

Xard: Everyone would recognize the "dead" Bruce Wayne.
Brik: It wasn't common knowledge he was dead.
Xard: But it would be in all the public records and shit.

We are wracking our brains over the public records system of a fictional comic book universe. Does it get any more inane than that? We need to get our heads examined here. :p
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:26 pm

As a veteran member I'm sure you don't visit the discussion subforum anymore, you should drop by one of these days, I guarantee it will make you feel better about yourself.

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:39 pm

[Split from here. - Monk]

View Original PostWunderBah wrote:i'm really looking forward to how 4.0 will deliver. :asuka_thumbsup:

Batman's master plan will be to walk down the street in broad daylight and punch Bane in the face until he stops doing shit

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:59 pm

View Original Postchee wrote:Batman's master plan will be to walk down the street in broad daylight and punch Bane in the face until he stops doing shit

More time passes more I dislike Dark Knight Rises...

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:25 pm

View Original Postchee wrote:Batman's master plan will be to walk down the street in broad daylight and punch Bane in the face until he stops doing shit

WHERE IS THE STREET? WHERE IS IT?

Sorry.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:30 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:More time passes more I dislike Dark Knight Rises...

It's the Return of the Jedi of the trilogy. Not a bad movie and really enjoyable on a visceral level when you actually watch it, but almost everyone will probably agree it's the weakest of the three.

@Chuckman: You have to put more -RGHBL at the end of each word

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:43 pm

View Original Postchee wrote:Not a bad movie and really enjoyable on a visceral level when you actually watch it

dat IMAX. Hoooooly shit DAT IMAX. It's annoying how many fake IMAX theatres are out there today but if you got a chance to see it from the actual full size print instead of the digital version... there are not enough .gifs on the internet to describe how beautiful some of those scenes are.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:52 pm

Nolan's particular brand of neo-noir more and more betrays the influence of Michael Mann in his love of beautifully impersonal technological spaces, and in The Dark Knight Rises he and Wally Pfister brought it to a near-flawless level of eye-gasm. (Now if only some of the writing in that movie were on the same level)

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:57 pm

TDKR feels to me like Nolan was doing it out of obligation to his corporate overlords so he could go and make the movies he really wants to make. He said everything he needed to say about Batman in TDK. TDKR just repeats the same idea over and over, with an added dash of hitting the audience over their head with the notion that Batman is an insane manchild living out a childish power fantasy that is inherently incapable of helping anyone.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:04 pm

Begins is my least favorite of the three. As a stand alone film it's merely all set up with very little pay off & the last act of the movie itself betrays absolutely everything it sets itself up to be. "We're making Batman as if he existed in real life. So let's show you every little aspect of how he makes his gadgets to show how real this all is!" Then have the last act be a chase through the city with murder gas shooting off everywhere & Batman killing people but letting himself off the hook with semantics.

The Dark Knight is the best & most realized of the trilogy no question. The Dark Knight Rises may be muddled - mostly with all the extraneous side characters & for the story trying to do just too damn much - but TDKR consistently hits far greater highs then Batman Begins at its best. I also appreciate TDKR for cutting out the shit & really embracing the concept of it being a grand comic book story. Begins tries too hard to be real. TDK finds a way to perfectly walk the line between feel like a comic book & real world authentic. TDKR just says fuck it & becomes a wonderful comic book movie.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:38 pm

Not a single goddamn thing in this movie made sense. Not one thing. Even ScreenJunkies took notice.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Return to “Film and Video”