Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:49 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Touga's a poseur, a lackey, and a wuss. At least Asuka failed on her own terms.

Asuka is also a huge poseur and often a wuss, although she counteracts her emotional cowardice with a certain amount of suicidal elan; she may not be a lackey, but she's enough of an ass-kisser to Kaji that one feels that this is more due to Kaji doing his own work than any achievement of hers.

The difference between the two characters is that
SPOILER: Show
Touga ultimately resigns himself to his own pathetically human nature and chooses to give up his hopes of princeliness, pursuing a relatively normal life with Saionji - the price he decides he has to pay for failing so many times to take Utena's power for himself
. Likewise Asuka does not seem to be able to obtain Shinji's power, but returns to existing anyway, despite her obvious disgust at the situation - apparently with no intention to live a less insane life than before.

View Original PostBagheera wrote:She's never done this. She lusted after Kaji because she thought doing so would make her a legitimate adult, but she never went after anyone as a power play (probably because, at least in he own mind, she didn't need to -- she was already at the top of the heap. She just wanted other people to recognize it).

Tosh. Adulthood is power, something which is unambiguous in both shows: the difference is that SKU chooses to indulge some degree of foolish/childish heroism (as a greater power, that is), while NGE values survival over purity. To Asuka, adulthood is specifically the power to be free of her humiliating and miserable life. Her yuu aa nanba waan delusions are a defense mechanism she has built up to elevate herself from the shitheap: a synthetic adulthood, if you like, to give her the power her age does not. After it fails her, she is still entirely willing to jump to other delusions ("mommy will always love you") for protection.

View Original PostBagheera wrote:And Akio is totally an antagonist. After all, he's the one who's making all of this happen, no?

I meant Kaji. Although something of an argument could be made that Akio is not exactly an antagonist, since
after all he did as much to help Utena as harm her, and ultimately they're one archetype fighting within itself anyway - much like how it's difficult to unambiguously identify Gendou as the antagonist of NGE. The clearest thing Utena has to a genuine external threat to the protagonist is Anthy (and, intermittently, Touga).
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

gorgeousshutin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby gorgeousshutin » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:56 pm

Give Asuka a few years and a labcoat and Gendo would be all over her

Hmm, while Gendo do screw his share of older women of science (and usefulness), I'm not sure if he's completely blind to under-aged girls, since I often get nifty vibes from watching his scenes with Rei . . .
The Gorgeous Shut-in
Current fics:
(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018)
(PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Nov, 2017)
(NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016)
(Banana Fish)Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 01, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works
or
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:01 pm

View Original Postgorgeousshutin wrote:Hmm, while Gendo do screw his share of older women of science (and usefulness), I'm not sure if he's completely blind to under-aged girls, since I often get nifty vibes from watching his scenes with Rei . . .

uhh yeah it isn't completely unplausible but fortunately or unfortunately there isn't any real evidence

which of course has never stopped doujinshi creators

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:04 pm

That's probably part of the reason Rei lives on her own, too much temptation. That and Ritsuko gets all moody when she's around, and he doesn't need that shit when he's off duty.

Still, I suspect Asuka's childishness would be very much a turnoff for the commander.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:06 pm

TOPIC
Last edited by Ornette on Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:24 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:Asuka is also a huge poseur and often a wuss, although she counteracts her emotional cowardice with a certain amount of suicidal elan; she may not be a lackey, but she's enough of an ass-kisser to Kaji that one feels that this is more due to Kaji doing his own work than any achievement of hers.

So what? Their dynamic is still worlds apart from that of Touja and Akio. She's a child chasing an adult in pursuit of relevance and legitimacy, while Touga's an adult debasing himself as part of a power play. Everything about the two situations, from subtext to relationship dynamics to, well, everything is different.

Which is why Nanami's a better fit -- her relationship with Touga mirrors that of Asuka and Kaji far better than the latter does Touga/Akio.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

gorgeousshutin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby gorgeousshutin » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:27 pm

Anyway, back to SKU. Akio was seen (or strongly implied) to have screwed people ranging from (spoiler for Asami's sake)
Mrs. Ohtori (40+?), (implied) Tokiko (50+?) to Kozue (13), that and he screwed Touga and possibly Saionji too (if photo session means sex). Now there's a man who will literally screw anything to further his purpose . .. I think he's even get a 3P going with OldMaidWhoHateUtena and Tsuwabuki, if it'd lead him closer to regaining the power of Dios.

Touga's an adult debasing himself as part of a power play

change "adult" to "older teen who still can't drive" and you're SPOT ON :)
Last edited by gorgeousshutin on Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Gorgeous Shut-in
Current fics:
(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018)
(PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Nov, 2017)
(NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016)
(Banana Fish)Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 01, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works
or
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:48 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:Nanami sucks

[✓]worst duelist
[✓]worst objective
[✓]worst color
[✓]worst uniform
[✓]worst socially unacceptable lust
[✓]shotacon
[✓]cow
[✓]lays eggs
[✓]no love for the cocktower

Touga is a superior Asuka-image

View Original PostXard wrote:but but but

hahahahaha you guys are great
Voluntary Illusion.

Asami Sato
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Asami Sato » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:01 pm

Watching Utena possessed by Anthy is creepier than the End of Evangelion O_o

On the other hand, watching Anthy not be a submissive robot for a change was cool. :toothy:

I'd like to know how Nanami does it to survive 50 meter tall falls, tidal waves and truck crashes.

Saionji, no matter how sweet you are, hitting a girl is unforgivable, so no, you're not getting Anthy back. That prank on Utena's part was excellent. :lol:

Anthy's cooking :hitthetable:

Overall, this episode was just so random.
Avatar: Princess Azula, the sociopathic badass sexy bitch that will kill you by just glaring at your face.
When I get a boyfriend: "Together, we will be the strongest couple in the world! We will DOMINATE THE EARTH!"
"Zuzu! You don't look so good!"
"I support the shipping of TDSA and Aiko Heiwa." - Defectron

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:28 pm

oh geez, I thought you were running through them much faster than that!

But yes, that episode... elephants of doom were glorious. Especially when surfing.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Asami Sato
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Asami Sato » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:38 pm

It was just so funny. The stalker elefant stole the show :hitthetable:

Episode 9 was...more serious.
Poor Saionji.
I had just warmed up to Touga. :nono:
And this episode's revelation was a bit shocking.

Image I missed her.
Avatar: Princess Azula, the sociopathic badass sexy bitch that will kill you by just glaring at your face.
When I get a boyfriend: "Together, we will be the strongest couple in the world! We will DOMINATE THE EARTH!"

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby DevRei17 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:18 pm

View Original PostAsami Sato wrote:You know, Nanami just might become one of my favorite characters :lol:

She became one of my favorites on my first viewing, something I wasn't expecting at all. (The episode's focused on her are some of my favorites (especially episode 16) though your mileage may very on that sentiment...)

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Also known as Cowboy Dev.

Asami Sato
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Asami Sato » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:43 am

Ay Juri, it is because of women like you that my heart can never be in peace. First Azula, then Cecily, then Asami, and then I had thought I had found the love of my life with Utena, you show up. I love you.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:57 am

Well, I'll say this much: your taste is improving! :lol:
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Asami Sato
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Asami Sato » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:33 pm

I just watched Episode 11, and my fears regarding Anthy have been realized.

I am now hoping that Utena realizes that she's too good for Anthy, goes to Juri, and the two have a sweet hug and kiss passionately under the Moon.

Image Image
The ship sails for itself.

Kenshin Sephiroth
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Kenshin Sephiroth » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:16 am

Question: is it possible for a person with zero insight into the Utena franchise to enjoy the movie as a self-contained standalone viewing experience, or is at least some knowledge of the series's story required for the film's narrative to make proper sense?

Also, does the movie spoil the entire series, or are they mutually exclusive?
"Sentient ice cream."

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:07 am

View Original PostKenshin Sephiroth wrote:Question:

The events of the two are very different; watching the movie first will mean that many of the references it makes back to the series will be merely bizarre.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Kenshin Sephiroth
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Kenshin Sephiroth » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:33 am

Thanks, Mr. Tines. A potentially upended bizarro narrative cultivated from my ignorance of the series isn't necessarily a deal breaker, or even a detriment. If anything, it'll make the movie more interesting to watch. I'm still a bit concerned about spoilers, though. Any significant TV twists revealed in the film?
"Sentient ice cream."

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:24 am

View Original PostKenshin Sephiroth wrote:I'm still a bit concerned about spoilers, though. Any significant TV twists revealed in the film?

As Mr. Tines said, the events in the series and film are quite different from each other. I am of the opinion that there is some thematic overlap between the two works but that these are abstracted enough in the film so as it should not give away too much of the series; or I should say, so as to be independant of both the events and in some regards the style of the series.
Voluntary Illusion.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:55 am

While it doesn't absolutely matter the tv series should be watched first for the full effect as many elements in the film riff on material present in tv series.

Most importantly without tv series as a background you won't have much if any emotional connection to the characters which makes it pretty hard to care beyond "whee trippy shit" dimension

Return to “Anime and Manga”