Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Controversial Anime Opinions

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:09 am

That's weird -- putting Biomega into Google came with this

and the armed bear on someone's PInterest.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:12 am

Oh, the word produces what's expected; I meant just doing an image search using that image with no other clues.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Re: Controversial Anime Opinions B/

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:17 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:[url=http://www.imagebam.com/image/e184af455347897]

It looked odd to me while typing, but the correct spelling (and the existence there of) didn't occur to me until just now.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

GAP
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby GAP » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:13 pm

I might need to read this manga to get a full idea of what it is about. Also, Monogatari maybe a well constructed show but it is a still not a show for me. I cannot seem to get into despite reading blogs on it as it seems as though the dialogues confuse me.

Edit: I really don't see the appeal of One Punch Man only that the show is a a parody of shonen and superhero stories. I know it is an exaggeration but having a character who can resolve any conflict with one punch turns me off and it makes any conflict trivial. I get the feeling that is literally the point of Saitama's character.
Fall into GAP! Guernsey Adams Pierre

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:04 am

You know, I think I'm just gonna pre-empt every possible negative view I could express in this thread just by saying that anime in general needs an enema.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:32 pm

Well, here's a controversial anime opinion -- http://www.forbes.com/sites/laurenorsin ... ald-trump/
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:54 am

Remember the scene in Madoka Magica where Madokami travels through time and space to save all the Magical girls, and one of them was a holocaust victim, heavily implied to be Anne Frank?

Here's the controversial opinion.

I would be interested in seeing A Madoka Magica spinoff based around Anne Frank like the current one based around Joan of Arc. But it would be more out of Morbid curiosity than anything else, because It would be SO Controversial, and could go so wrong in so many ways. You can get away with a lot more fictionalization, and Romanticizing when it comes to historical Icons like Joan of Arc, or Cleopatra, because they're a part of history, and anyone who could be offended by someone capitalizing on their image is long, long dead. But setting a Madoka Magica Manga in WW2, something that's still in living memory, and making the Icon of the horrors of the Holocaust a magical girl? For a lot of people that would be in horribly bad taste. Japan, the US, Germany, and Israel would lose their collective minds. Holocaust survivors and their Children would say it's disrespectful, claiming it would be cashing in on the suffering of the real Anne Frank for entertainment.

But I found the concept morbid, and fascinating. I mean, can you imagine the catharsis seeing a magical girl waste a whole troop of Nazis? But. . . yeah. It would make a lot of people mad, because it's WW2, and it still hurts and is still painful. Heck I'm not comfortable talking about it especially as a person with German ancestry, I got angry over Wolfenstein the New Order, and this new BS about turning the ruins of a concentration camp into a luxury resort. Art Spiegelman had a mental breakdown while writing Maus because he felt guilty about capitalizing on his fathers suffering. Even Inglorious Basterds directed by Tarantino faced it's fair share of controversy.

But Wolfenstein, Maus, and even Inglorious Basterds tread very carefully when it came to the horrors the Nazis actually committed, and with the exception of historical Icons either presented as either being accurate to the facts, or as satire. Would a Japanese publisher, would Urobuchi himself really have the cahones to do that in the Madoka verse? If the concept was ever published, it would have to be done with serious respect and research to the period and the real people involved. Which is why of course I think they would never touch it with a ten foot pole.

Did Urobuchi actually catch flak or stir any controversy for even implying that one of the magical girls Madoka saved was Anne Frank? I mean Gainax and Production IG got in trouble for showing a Swastika in FLCL.

GAP
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby GAP » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:36 pm

[Quote trimmed by staff. Don't quote entire large posts, just the part you're responding to or (if it's to the whole thing in general) a sample to indicate which post you're responding to. - Monk]

View Original PostRay wrote:Remember the scene in Madoka Magica where Madokami travels through time and space to save all the Magical girls, and one of them was a holocaust victim, heavily implied to be Anne Frank? (snip)

To be honest I kind of thought that the whole thing with Anne Frank, Joan of arc, etc was just an after thought. It didn't seem like Urobuchi thought things through when he wrote that.

Mr. Tines wrote:Well, here's a controversial anime opinion -- http://www.forbes.com/sites/laurenorsin ... ald-trump/

Ok what? This makes no sense at all.

Enki v.2
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Enki v.2 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:09 pm

Here's my controversial anime opinion related to... something close to every fall 2015 harem show.

Why do shows of this type keep on having total non endings?

This isn't something that was common in previous years or previous cours, as far as I can tell. Yet, Saekano did it -- Saekano would have been a great show if it was twelve episodes longer, but instead it ended literally as soon as all the main characters were introduced. The second season of Nisekoi did it but the first season didn't -- the first season ended on a pretty intense episode about whatshername coming to terms with her feelings, while the second season ended on a random Onodera gag episode. Hell, even Owarimonogatari and Durarara x2 ended on random episodes, although Owarimonogatari at least finished an arch (if not one that felt meaningfully final in the way it was paced).

It's one thing to end a cour on an arc boundary. If you're sure the show will be renewed for another season (or you're doing a split-cour show), then you don't have to pretend you're going to wrap up *all* the threads. But to have a fairly non-episodic show end on an episode that is indistinguishable from, say, episode three or episode five in terms of plot relevance is stupid -- and really annoys anybody who is marathonning and not paying attention to the episode count.

(I have seen shows from the past that did this, but it doesn't seem like it was ever *common*, and the shows that did it were either episodic or ended up essentially being cancelled. Kuchuu Buranko did it, but Kuchuu Buranko did a lot of things that in retrospect were probably bad ideas so it might have been intentional.)

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:43 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Well, here's a controversial anime opinion -- http://www.forbes.com/sites/laurenorsin ... ald-trump/

I. . . I've got nothing.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:27 am

View Original PostEnki v.2 wrote:Here's my controversial anime opinion related to... something close to every fall 2015 harem show.

Why do shows of this type keep on having total non endings?
You're supposed to go out and buy the on-going LN series (or manga) which they've made the 13 episode advertisement for. If you had closure, you wouldn't need to do that.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:21 pm

View Original PostEnki v.2 wrote:Why do shows of this type keep on having total non endings?

They've been doing this kind of thing since the dawn of harem shows.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:57 pm

One Punch Man is pretty good, but that's it. There are a lot of things it does wrong that seriously detract from the enjoyment of the show, leaving it far from God's gift to anime like so many claim.

Seven Deadly Sins is generic garbage.

Knights of Sidonia (manga at least) is poorly written and difficult to follow due to its lack of transitions from one scene to the next. Also, don't try to make me attached to a character in 4 pages, kill her off in a disgusting manner, before you even get me to understand the setting. It's really, really bad.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Compiling_Autumn
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Compiling_Autumn » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:38 am

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:One Punch Man is pretty good, but that's it. There are a lot of things it does wrong that seriously detract from the enjoyment of the show, leaving it far from God's gift to anime like so many claim.

What problems did you have with OPM?
"The will to lose one's will?"
"Absolutely. The will to make oneself completely free. Will is the wrong word, because in the end you could call it despair. Because it really comes out of an absolute feeling of it's impossible to do these things, so I might as well just do anything. And out of this anything, one sees what happens."--Francis Bacon

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:26 pm

A lot of characters simply aren't utilized to their full potential before being killed off, there's no chance of serious drama ever occurring due to its concept, unlike Assassination Classroom, everything about the mosquito girl, and its constant reliance on a single running gag.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:00 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:A lot of characters simply aren't utilized to their full potential before being killed off

I had the same problem with Akame Ga Kill.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

GAP
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby GAP » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:18 pm

BrikHaus wrote:They've been doing this kind of thing since the dawn of harem shows.

It is still an annoying trope especially when they have some potentially good shows that could go on for much longer. Bones is perhaps the most egregious example of this.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Re: Controversial Anime Opinions BP

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:05 am

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:A lot of characters simply aren't utilized to their full potential before being killed off, there's no chance of serious drama ever occurring due to its concept, unlike Assassination Classroom, everything about the mosquito girl, and its constant reliance on a single running gag.

The gag is the point though.

Mostly, it has to to do with Saitama walking into situations that typically set off *serious* plot threads, then completely subverting them.

The most common example is him offing any opponent in one blow, or close to it. Another is finding a *mentor* in the #3 s-class hero, but being completely uninterested, as he doesn't need the training.

The joke I think the show builds itself around though, is comedy of error. Where, he meets the anatogonist, but neither them, nor he, know who the other is. And their exchange is misunderstood by the both of them, so they never figure it out either.

One would be the seaweed monster, another is a plot yet to be animated; the Garo arc. If you read the latter, it feels like OPM's reason for being.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

We Are Nice To You
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby We Are Nice To You » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:11 am

Although many older dubs are bad and there are issues with rushed simul broadcast dubs, dubs can be good, and it is bad to shame people or wanting to watch them. In fact, some people might NEED dubs such as dyslexic people.

It is absurd to automatically assume a sub has a better translation than a dub.

The overly literal translations often preferred by the community can be disastrous as language isn't that simple and isn't an exact science. In fact, the tendency towards these is often BECAUSE the translators are often amateurs with limited experience and often little actual knowledge of Japanese as a language. If literal translations were the "CORRECT" way to translate, then translations done by computer programs would actually be good and human translators would not be needed.

You are not obligated to watch every anime that airs.

Unless I'm instantly sold on the premise, I will likely wait till an anime is over to get a consensus on if it is worth watching or not.

You are not obligated to watch a show as it airs.

I want more Josei anime.

My Little monster is one of the worst anime and most disturbing anime I have ever seen in my entire life and you couldn't pay me to watch it again.

I prefer the look of cel animation over digitial inking in anime.

Haruhi wasn't a clever show.

Aku no Hanna looked good.

When anime eventually becomes all CG in maybe a decade or so, I'll probably watch much less of it.

That said, Gregory Horror Show uses CG to great effect for its art style and is an underrated show that should be remembered as fondly as other 90's classics like Evangelion itself.

Stardust Crusaders is far too repetitive and formulaic in comparison to the previous two parts of Jojo.

The frequent sexualization of children in anime is the main reason I don't like to mention a lot in public that I'm an anime fan. It is pretty darn terrible and does contribute to the rampant problems of child prostitution and human trafficking in Japan.

Attack on Titan is imperialist garbage. But lots of other anime are too.

Kudelia is the real protagonist of Iron Blooded Orphans. And only half of the episodes having fights in them is a strength of the show as it allows much more room for the characters.

Kamille is the worst protag in the Gundam franchise, having no justification for why the Arghama crew puts up with his behavior, less so than with other Gundam boys. And Zeta's extra serious tone makes the monster of the week elements in the show more grueling to sit through and less entertaining to watch than in 0079.

Superiour Defender Gundam Force was fun. How can you hate the Zako Zako Hour?

Much of hatred of SEED and IBO is the Gundam fandom not wanting female writers touching their precious toy commercial show. They're afraid they'll catch cooties.

Reconguista in G is worth watching despite the pacing issues. It has an interesting setting as well as some the best animation and most charming characters in the franchise. Mask is the most interesting "char clone" in the franchise, more so than even Char himself.

8th MS Team being a dark, grim, gritty, and "realistic" war story is a lie. That is the aesthetic of the show and nothing else. In terms of story it is one of the single most happy go lucky stories in the franchise.

If you want a realistic mecha show about war, you should be watching FLAG or Dougram instead of Gundam.

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:41 am

View Original PostWe Are Nice To You wrote:You are not obligated to watch every anime that airs.

You are not obligated to watch a show as it airs.

This is controversial? Who thinks otherwise?

Return to “Anime and Manga”