What anime are you watching right now? Summer 2014

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby caragnafog dog » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:19 pm

New Aldnoah was pretty retarded. I've come this far to see it through so hopefully we'll get a crazy ending.

York New City arc of Hunter x Hunter was excellent, though it brought Kurapika's revenge crusade thingy to a more abrupt end than I expected I think it was handled particularly well. There wasn't any realistic chance of him killing all members of the Troupe anyway. Great to see the Zoldycks in action again.
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:42 pm

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:Well "the guy" here was a Martian, not Inaho,

And that says a lot, i forgot his face after season 1 ended, he was THAT bland.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

His face. BP

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:13 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:And that says a lot, i forgot his face after season 1 ended, he was THAT bland.

Well now he has an eye patch. Just imagine he's Irvine from Zoids, only no bandana, and darker hair with red eyes.

Or if you prefer, a (much) younger Anthony Hopkins from Thor... with red eyes. :tongue:

Honestly, I can't forget what he looks like, as his getup in end of season 1 had me thinking he was wearing some sort of dog suit... that his sister had given to him because she thought he looked adorable in it.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:40 pm

^ Now if only he could emote as well as Anthony Hopkins can :tongue:
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby caragnafog dog » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:25 pm

Hunter x Hunter:

how can one man be so LITERALLY perfect? the entire dodgeball "arc" was fantastic; significant consequences on the line, superb teamwork between killua and gon (whose relationship I think is my favorite part of the show, I gather that they split up eventually but I'll slip into a coma or something when that happens) and Hisoka in an ally role was a total bonus but a delightful one. As far as wildcards are concerned they don't come more crowd-pleasing than he does. Gon's jan ken guu punch is about as funny as it is impressive, and the plans they formulated to make it work weren't tiresome to hear explained after seeing them in action.

there was also this:

GATTAI DA
SPOILER: Show

I realize only now that when I catch up (and it won't take long) I'll be following 3 hiatus-stricken series, the other 2 being Vagabond and Berserk. This isn't the future I chose.

I guess this is the first time in a very long time I'm consciously watching a proper shonen. I have to say it's infectious, I only started a week or two ago but 70 episodes later and I feel I could watch thousands more. To say I am invested in these characters, the strides they make and the people they encounter would be an understatement.
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Postby Gus Hanson » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:01 pm

Cowboy Bebop episode 2

For a filler episode, it packed tons of goodies like the ADORABLE Ein! Seriously, that Welsh Corgi has some more than decent animation backing it up that when Spike mistreats him, you can't help but feel bad for the dog. Hakim was a hardcore wanna be player so shame we only see him in this episode as far as I know. The introduction of the Punch and Judy show wasn't annoying yet Punch seemed to have an accent that didn't fit his supposed complexion. Next episode is Faye Valentine time! Looking forward to it.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:27 pm

Heard lots of buzz about Sky Crawlers, decided to watch it.

Show is fucked up, man.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Postby Gus Hanson » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:50 pm

Cross Ange 23

Looks like there's room for one more in Ange's bed. ^_^
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:53 pm

Cross Ange 23

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Paracletus
Adam

Postby Paracletus » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:58 pm

Shirobako EP 12

Pretty sure it's been posted here already, but DAMN that was hilarious. While the show had no shortage of allusions to industry so far, this one just goes full throttle:

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:58 pm

Cross Ange 23

Watched it because i was bored, well there goes any chance of the pure yuri ending and unlike a lot of people i am not a fan of harem ends.
I'll go back to something actually GOOD now, kase-san was just updated and i got to the gogmazios in monster hunter, much better time spent.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:03 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:Cross Ange 23

Watched it because i was bored, well there goes any chance of the pure yuri ending and unlike a lot of people i am not a fan of harem ends.

I've yet to see a show end in a harem end, even when it's so obviously the only sensible solution (White Album, I'm looking at you). If a bunch of people are obsessed with the protag and don't have stupid jealousy issues fucking things up why the heck should someone be forced to be miserable? It's stupid.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:14 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:I've yet to see a show end in a harem end, even when it's so obviously the only sensible solution

Tenchi Muyo Gxp. Which in my opinion is the worst entry in the franchise.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:16 pm

Harem ends are VERY popular in hentai and visual novels and i despise them, mostly because there is a lack of mutual love in these harem ends.

In real life i have nothing against say 3 people that are all in a relationship and care equally for each other, its rare but it does happen, in harem ends however all of that love if focused on the guy in the situation 90% of the time and the others generally don't get along.

Plus i just don't like my yuri being ruined as a general thing, unlike harem ends yuri anime/hentai/VN's that are not sono hanabira tend to be harder to find.
then again the only reason i even consider using cross ange as filler again is because of the potential for a yuri end so its safe to say i wont be picking this back up again.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:19 pm

View Original PostParacletus wrote:Shirobako EP 12

Pretty sure it's been posted here already, but DAMN that was hilarious. While the show had no shortage of allusions to industry so far, this one just goes full throttle:

I think I've found my new Avatar. Does Anno voice himself?

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:34 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:Harem ends are VERY popular in hentai and visual novels and i despise them, mostly because there is a lack of mutual love in these harem ends.

Yeah, but those aren't mainstream anime. The fact it's actually happening for once is kinda a big deal.

In real life i have nothing against say 3 people that are all in a relationship and care equally for each other, its rare but it does happen, in harem ends however all of that love if focused on the guy in the situation 90% of the time and the others generally don't get along.

But that's rather pointedly not the case here, since all of the love here is focused on Ange and Tusk and Hilda get along reasonably well.

Plus i just don't like my yuri being ruined as a general thing, unlike harem ends yuri anime/hentai/VN's that are not sono hanabira tend to be harder to find.

Er, Yuri's an entire genre, Rose. It's all over the place in Shojo and Josei works (Utena's a particularly striking example, with multiple examples no less). By contrast good luck finding even one example of a harem ending in mainstream anime (Tenchi notwithstanding), let alone one with het and homo elements that's focused on a girl (and I don't think it's ever come up with a bi- guy, but one thing at a time).

Paracletus
Adam

Postby Paracletus » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:15 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:I think I've found my new Avatar. Does Anno voice himself?

Nope, Kanno Mitsuaki, director of "Avantgardion" a.k.a. "Ava", released 1995 (I just can't stop quoting that one) is voiced by someone named Shōto Kashii.

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

Postby KnightmareX13 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:20 am

View Original PostFireball wrote:Cross Ange 23

those eyes :lol:
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:23 am

So I finished Mushi-shi Zoku Shou. I guess it was a worthy continuation of the series; but it brought nothing new to the table, and alongside some really awesome episodes were a number that I found very disappointing, especially earlier on. Still, don't let me put you off - it's a very fine series whatever!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I plan to continue on to watch X and then Monster eventually. But first I'm taking in a bit of shoujo relaxation in the form of Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun (confusingly: My Little Monster). I've enjoyed the first episode; and I guess that any reminders of Kare Kano are to do with the genre in general rather than the story-telling in particular.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:55 am

@Bag congrats cross ange is doing something new...........now the more important thing is, is the anime any good? the answer is no.

Also yuri is not "all over the place" in fact it is increasingly rare to find series with actual yuri in it that are not doujins or one shot mangas, series are few and anime/vn's tend to be even rarer.
shojo for the most part falls under the "subtext" category which isn't actually yuri.
Granted that rarity is a small part of why i got attracted to yuri in the first place but its really not everywhere.

Return to “Old Stickies”