What anime are you watching right now? Summer 2014

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:05 am

View Original PostFireball wrote:Man, screw Parasyte. Always ending at the best parts!

Yeah, can't wait for next week. I was really happy they released two episodes yesterday, but that cliffhanger was just cruel! :lol:
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

A bit sad.... B/

Postby Alaska Slim » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:32 am

Akame Ga Kill

My prediction! Nooooooo~

Meh. With Mine out of the way, female lead and make lead are free to become an item.

Which is admittedly a bit disappointing, not since Xam'd have I seen a show where the gender-leads managed to keep their paws off each other.

Btw way, noticed this: Mine's arms is called pumpkin, her best friend wielded an arms that were a pair of scissors. Together they fight corruption.

Just reading too much in? BP
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Postby Gus Hanson » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:31 pm

The Wind Rises

Beautiful, just beautiful all around. I've never quite fallen in love with an anime film as I did with this movie. The animation for all the designs, character and plane, look fantastic. And a love story that feels so authentic, it feels like something Hollywood couldn't possibly duplicate in one of their films. I have so far watched the dub and I must say that Emily Blunt's American accent impressed me. I look forward to watching it in the original Japanese audio so I can hear how Anno busts out his acting chops.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby movieartman » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:09 pm

GHOST IN THE SHELL (1995) [dubbed]___
- this might be my 2nd viewing... 3rd at most, and first in full glorious hd widescreen
- never read the manga in full
- in terms of animation and painted backgrounds... absolute, incomparable, flawless perfection
- i intend to watch akira this weekend and i can't imagine it being better than this
- both how motoko's eyes are drawn and how the english actresses voice sounds, can be... jarring and almost out of place and yet... i would never in a million years ask for them to be changed or alterted... they where truly meant to be IMO
- the opening credits playing over motoko's body being made are absolutely majestic
- fight scenes are epic and yet patient and slow in a good way
- only real flaw with viewing the film is that its so emotionless, you don't necessarily feel for the characters like you would in say evangelion, you understand whats happening to them and why its a good or bad thing, but you do not necessarily FEEL it

DRAGON BALL Z - BATTLE OF GODS (2014) [dubbed]___first time viewing
- ok.... a lot more of the camp worked than i expected, that being said i still demand the next film be vaslty more serious
- the crap with emperor peliaf, pudding cups being what sent berus over the edge... did NOT work
- fights are great other than a few horrifically piss poor 3d landscapes
- when king kai tells vegeta, ss3 goku has been defeated in 2 blows its awesome
- fight right after goku and berus leave the cavern really well done
- berus is a very cool more fleshed out antagonist
- goku actually gets some realistic character development, showing that he is indeed flawed and arrogant at times
- his line where he says he respects vegeta a lot for sucking it up and dancing like a fool on stage to keep berus in a good mood meant a lot to me
SPOILER: Show
- dislike that they had to make wiss berus's mentor a clear and obvious homosexual stereotype

- the moment when berus taps a egg and it decitigrated in 3d animation while everything around it is still 2d is quite beautiful

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Justacrazyguy » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:13 pm

Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru Episode 008: And so the "dark plot" is revealed. I mean, it was obvious since a few episodes ago, but now there is confirmation. Now, the question is, does this anime have the guts to take it all the way to the end?
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:02 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:DRAGON BALL Z - BATTLE OF GODS (2014) [dubbed]___first time viewing
- ok.... a lot more of the camp worked than i expected, that being said i still demand the next film be vaslty more serious
- berus is a very cool more fleshed out antagonist
- goku actually gets some realistic character development, showing that he is indeed flawed and arrogant at times

Man, I gotta see this movie.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

mechashiva
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby mechashiva » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:38 am

I've spent most of the Thanksgiving break flip-flopping between Mobile Gundam G Fighter and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure while going mad from sexual frustration

I think I'm on ep. 37 of Mobile G Gundam because I'm really eager to finish it. Yesterday I marathon watched it until my parents *really* thought I needed to engage with them. :irked:

I'm on episode 17 (I think) of Jojo's Bizarre Adventures, where JoJo gets the TWO poison rings stuck in his throat and in his heart and has 33 days to learn how to defeat Wham (or I guess he's called Whammu) I think what I like about Jojo's Bizarre Adventure the most is how I can't predict what will happen next and how crazy things can get. I read a comment on GoGoAnime.net at the bottom of one episode where that person said he liked the second JoJo was his favorite because of his personality and I have to agree. They both have this drive to not give up but Joseph Joestar is more cocky and a smart-ass (I guess because he's American?) and isn't afraid to improvise. (like those Clacker Balls :hahaha: )
"Every child is an artist, the problem is staying an artist when you grow up."-Pablo Picasso

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Giji Shinka » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:56 am

Diebuster
Last few minutes of the final episode really surprised me, in a good way. ;___;

Good show overall.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:14 am

Yes, the ending is wonderful!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|
Admin Emeritus :-{|

Postby Fazmotron » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:57 am

Terraformars is getting really really stupid, even more so than I first thought.
I think the only reason I keep watching it is because I have a week in between episodes to forget how shitty it is.

I'm still really enjoying Parasite The Maxim though.

Also, I started watching Fate/Zero because I'm an asshole. Seriously, I'm 19 episodes in and I'm still not really sure what the fuck is going on. I think I watched the original series a long time ago with a group of people who were halfway through the show and thinking it was stupid but kind of interesting, so I picked this up because I think I heard from some corner of the internet it was good...? And all the characters are jerks, except Batou, I mean Rider. No I actually mean Batou.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:30 am

View Original PostFazmotron wrote:And all the characters are jerks, except Batou, I mean Rider. No I actually mean Batou.
Like GitS Batou? That's a strange comparison. F/Z Rider isn't as cucked as he is.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Postby Gus Hanson » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:49 pm

Had somewhat of a struggle watching Burn Out Warrior to the point of completion since the scene in episode 3 where Rio is selling her underwear to a shop to make more money made me feel somewhat uncomfortable. Hypocritically so I would call my fear to tread further because I constantly watch hentai titles that offer far more cringeworthy experiences, I guess this is some kind of a phase I am going through.

Anyway, the action scenes have their perks given the limitations of the OVA quality and the fanservice is always a joy. Also, I jumped at the opportunity to listen to it English dubbed so that I could finally watch an Amanda Winn Lee performance without the Rei Ayanami feel and I gotta say listening to her wacky rendition of such a bonkers character was worth the ride.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:36 pm

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:Had somewhat of a struggle watching Burn Out Warrior to the point of completion since the scene in episode 3 where Rio is selling her underwear to a shop to make more money made me feel somewhat uncomfortable.
That'd be Burn-Up W; and the main recollection I have of it is of the many GitS homages. They move on to Evangelion in the next series (Excess).
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Eleven
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Eleven » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:47 pm

I recently rewatched Bubblegum Crisis and - Crash. ^_^
Then I went on searching for some classics I still have to watch and tried..
...Gunbuster - I made it through one episode only, found it to be boring. Maybe I should have given it more time?
...Legend of the Galactic Heroes - also one episode so far. But this seems to be very complex and the reviews I read were praising it that much I may come back to it later. I like the art style a lot, but the episode consisted almost of nothing but dialogues between like a thousend different characters and my brain just shut down at some point...

So I ended up watching Gundam for the very first time. Seriously, in all those years I somehow managed to never have watched even one single minute of any Gundam series or movie. I still don't like mechas, so I don't know why the hell I picked the mecha show, but I did and it was okay, except for the ... robots... :tongue:
I got interested in Chars character and story very quickly and I find the extreme oldschoolness of the show very amusing. It's so oldschool, it's sexist as hell. -o-; Many women got slapped in the face so far (episode 15).
I guess I will keep watching it, although its pacing (and of course the animation) seems a little slow if one isn't used to it.
I apologize for any grammar mistakes, as I am not a native speaker.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby IronEvangelion » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:54 am

View Original PostEleven wrote:Gunbuster - I made it through one episode only, found it to be boring. Maybe I should have given it more time?

The first episode really isn't an accurate indication of what Gunbuster is like as a whole. Episode 3 is where it really gets cool (not that I dislike the first two by any means, but 3 through 6 are what really make the show great.)
[Redacted]

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Postby Gus Hanson » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:48 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:That'd be Burn-Up W; and the main recollection I have of it is of the many GitS homages. They move on to Evangelion in the next series (Excess).

Speaking of Eva references, do you remember the Eva Unit 01 ripoff that was present in episode 2 of W? Thank goodness it was a one time thing since the Policetown arc was the highest point of the OVA which didn't need no Eva knockoff malfunctioning like it did in that episode. :tongue:

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:59 am

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:the Eva Unit 01 ripoff that was present in episode 2 of W?
I'd forgotten that El Heggunte was in W rather than Excess; as the other references come in the second half of Excess.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:56 pm

Cross Ange 9

SPOILER: Show

suffering

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Final Messenger » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:58 pm

That suffering was some intense
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:48 pm

Gotta admit, I'm taking Cross Ange seriously now.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Return to “Old Stickies”