Go Hikari!

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:19 pm

"Koutetsu", not "tenkuu". And, yeah, it's the same thing -- but it's not whatever game you were describing before.

Originally posted on: 19-Apr-2005, 00:35 GMT

millinniummany3 [ANF]
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby millinniummany3 [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:19 pm

Errrrr...I wonder if it's some bastardisation of it then, or a demo.

Originally posted on: 19-Apr-2005, 00:39 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:20 pm

millinniummany3 wrote:Errrrr...I wonder if it's some bastardisation of it then, or a demo.

There were 2. In the series. Two games. Could you mean the other one?

Originally posted on: 19-Apr-2005, 02:17 GMT

millinniummany3 [ANF]
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby millinniummany3 [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:20 pm

Well here's what I can tell you. It's 84.2 MB, has the three movies I told you about plus one on the tram and another of Asuka going off about Shinji. There's four scenes, the first two revolving around Mana, the third where you fight what you think is an Angel, but is in fact some robot to test the pilots, and the fourth is coming to terms with the end of the world. Any of that helpful?

Originally posted on: 19-Apr-2005, 02:22 GMT

Hexon.Arq [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:20 pm

Well here's what I can tell you. It's 84.2 MB, has the three movies I told you about plus one on the tram and another of Asuka going off about Shinji. There's four scenes, the first two revolving around Mana, the third where you fight what you think is an Angel, but is in fact some robot to test the pilots, and the fourth is coming to terms with the end of the world. Any of that helpful?

No.

Koutetsu no Girlfriend (1) has only three endings:

-Shinji forgets about Mana and gets stuck at a bus (train?) depot with Asuka (with sexy results).

-Shinji finds Mana in a hospital and brings her home (with sexy results).

-Shinji gets involved in a car chase and meets Mana one last time (with... no, that one was just cute.)

I was under the impression that the second game does not incorporate Mana.

Originally posted on: 19-Apr-2005, 03:47 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:21 pm

Heh, I should have known you were going to dissect the game like a manic coroner (so, was Mana the tramp you expected her to be?).

Too bad GOS seems to be the only Eva-game out there translated in English - as much as they do most likely suck, some part of me still wants to witness what kind of "official" abominations Gainax has produced. Especially the alternate scenarios in Impression-game series might be amusing, with the mysterious eleventeenth "extra" angel and whatnot. But since those games appear to be Sega exclusives (IIRC), I guess we won't be seeing translated versions of them. Chances might be higher with the "Raising Project" -series since they're PC-games.

For what I've heard, the common factor with all Eva-games (NGE64 and Eva2 as possible exceptions) is that they're all ridiculously non-interactive. I mean, as a game GOS is as complicated as any random Flash-masterpiece on the internet, which is kind of weird when you consider that Gainax, at least according to old wives' tales, survived through the depression years of anime industry by creating games. Well, maybe they just worked as a graphics subcontractor for real game studios, or maybe this kind of "pseudo-games" just sell really well in Japan. I don't know and I don't really care.

The real question here is, if that Toyota Landcruiser and Jet Alone had a fight, who would win?

millinniummany3 wrote:Errrrr...I wonder if it's some bastardisation of it then, or a demo.

It's the infamous bastardization version.

Originally posted on: 19-Apr-2005, 09:22 GMT

millinniummany3 [ANF]
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby millinniummany3 [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:21 pm

Figures. Of course it would be. Much the same as AWL stuffed up Eva, whoever translated GOS botched the job royally as well. I always thought there was something wrong with it.

Originally posted on: 19-Apr-2005, 09:28 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:21 pm

From 4chan:

Originally posted on: 19-Apr-2005, 10:22 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:21 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:For what I've heard, the common factor with all Eva-games (NGE64 and Eva2 as possible exceptions) is that they're all ridiculously non-interactive. I mean, as a game GOS is as complicated as any random Flash-masterpiece on the internet, which is kind of weird when you consider that Gainax, at least according to old wives' tales, survived through the depression years of anime industry by creating games. Well, maybe they just worked as a graphics subcontractor for real game studios, or maybe this kind of "pseudo-games" just sell really well in Japan. I don't know and I don't really care.

Care you may not, Dr. Nick, but know you shall. Image

A recent column in Games: The Magazine (a UK monthly games mag) was speaking of exactly this. They aren't aimed at capturing the same market as 'real' games, but they do sell well, for relatively low prices, and they fullfil a need for light entertainment. Something to do which is undemanding, and pleasing to look at. It seems that romance is the primary genre, but the article did not go into specifics. It was purely a sidebar to a larger article.

Since I did waste hours, myself, on playing a dumb flash dating game based loosely on Evangelion on newgrounds a few weeks ago, and so did Magami and Reichu if I recall correctly, then I'm not entirely shocked by this notion. They aren't exactly rewarding to play, but there are times when an undemanding distraction from your real life,is all you need, really.

Originally posted on: 19-Apr-2005, 10:45 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:22 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:Heh, I should have known you were going to dissect the game like a manic coroner (so, was Mana the tramp you expected her to be?).

Hells yeah! I've got the screencap of her boobies to prove it! Image

But since those games appear to be Sega exclusives (IIRC), I guess we won't be seeing translated versions of them.

I don't know much about how emulation of CD-based console systems works... Would translations be entirely impossible, or just unlikely?

The real question here is, if that Toyota Landcruiser and Jet Alone had a fight, who would win?

Image My money is on the Landcruiser. Where's the bookie?

Originally posted on: 19-Apr-2005, 11:34 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:22 pm

Reichu wrote:I don't know much about how emulation of CD-based console systems works... Would translations be entirely impossible, or just unlikely?

Just unlikely. There is a patch system that allows for the application of translation patches to CD image files. SEGA exclusives, you say? I know nothing of the games in question, but it's a question of emulation, not translation. Neither Saturn emulation nor Dreamcast emulation is quite so perfect as it could be. If it were a PS-One game in question, then there would be little in the way of difficulty, but the SEGA consoles still have some way to go before they really offer a quality experience with most games. It's not that they don't work at all, but they are still very flakey.

It's eminently possible, should someone have the skills and the time.

Originally posted on: 19-Apr-2005, 13:57 GMT

HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:22 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:But since those games appear to be Sega exclusives (IIRC), I guess we won't be seeing translated versions of them.

I think that Girlfriend of Steel might have been ported to the PS1...GoS2 is on the PS2, right? As for "1st Impression" and those others, I believe that they are Saturn exclusives, unless they were ported to the PC at some point.

Off-topic, Shin-Seiki, "Porky Ayanami" is SO asking to be stolen and used as an avatar...

Originally posted on: 19-Apr-2005, 14:22 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:22 pm

HeWhoPostsStuff wrote:Off-topic, Shin-Seiki, "Porky Ayanami" is SO asking to be stolen and used as an avatar...
Hmm...

Shrinking it down to 80x80 makes the red in her eyes disappear, tho:

Originally posted on: 19-Apr-2005, 16:15 GMT

Joeshie [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Joeshie [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:22 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:From 4chan:

When I saw this on 4chan, I wanted to gouge my eyes out. Why did you have to show me this again. Image

Originally posted on: 19-Apr-2005, 16:51 GMT

RyoTD [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby RyoTD [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:22 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:From 4chan:

That pic alone is enough to ruin the life of many EVA fanboys Image

Originally posted on: 19-Apr-2005, 17:10 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:22 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:Shrinking it down to 80x80 makes the red in her eyes disappear, tho

That's why you crop it. Image

I find the image both funny and disturbing. Kind of reminds me of my own attempts to get under fanboys' skin, except it just makes their hot chickas members of the Gloop family instead of replacing them with Evas. It's also great for my self esteem -- "well, I may have some fat on me, but at least I don't look like THAT!"

Condolences to anyone who DOES, of course.

Originally posted on: 19-Apr-2005, 17:34 GMT

AchtungAffen [ANF]
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:22 pm

That's a "when Botero met Sadamoto".

Originally posted on: 19-Apr-2005, 17:35 GMT

HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:22 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:Shrinking it down to 80x80 makes the red in her eyes disappear, tho:

Hm, a little creative Photoshopping could probably fix that. But in any case I'll hafta give Squidward a bit longer of a tenure than he's had so far before I replace him, heh.

Originally posted on: 19-Apr-2005, 17:49 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:22 pm

^4 Of course, a harpy just had to be in that one. Image
Edit: How's this for an avi? Image....or do you mind the cropped ears?

Originally posted on: 19-Apr-2005, 19:47 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:22 pm

Joeshie wrote:When I saw this on 4chan, I wanted to gouge my eyes out. Why did you have to show me this again. Image
Hey, I'm spreadin' the joy all over the internet Image

Originally posted on: 20-Apr-2005, 08:25 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”