Shinji and Asuka

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Joeshie [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Joeshie [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:00 pm

OMF wrote:I was going to argue my Papa-Asuka Image train of thought here, but I've also got an urge to explore Shinji's relationships with other father figures e.g. Gendou, Kaji. I'm wondering should I start another thread, but possibly include my thoughts from one into the other?

I think your thoughts on Gendou and Kaji being father figures might be given a warmer welcome than your Papa-Asuka arguement. Image

Originally posted on: 11-May-2005, 03:00 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:00 pm

I don't think it's as much as "Papa-Asuka" as "The person whom I need to love but they don't seem to want to, and they look down on me(quite literally)." Shinji gives up on Gendo(for many obvious reasons) and realizes that he wishes to get closer to Asuka, who asked him to kiss her, seems to be more "on his level" in terms of their life situations, and, lets face it, the boobies and her "hotness" are a little bit of an incentive as well. Image
^Kaji definatly seems like a good ideal father-figure for Shinji.

Originally posted on: 11-May-2005, 03:29 GMT

Digitalex [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Digitalex [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:00 pm

Joeshie wrote:I think your thoughts on Gendou and Kaji being father figures might be given a warmer welcome than your Papa-Asuka arguement. Image

I agree 100% there. I have to admit how irritated I got reading the arguments for Papa-Asuka. I just kept shaking my head on that one.

By that definition, Shinji would not be a prude since he did attempt a kiss (AKA sexual activity) with Asuka. Not to mention the wank scene...

The wank scene was towards the end and I agree he stopped being a prude at that point (even before that when he tried to console Asuka when she got mind-raped). As for the attempted kiss when she was asleep, you have a point. However, I still thought he was a prude because he tried it when she was not aware yet did nothing when she initiated the kiss later on.

Originally posted on: 11-May-2005, 03:50 GMT

Joeshie [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Joeshie [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:00 pm

Digitalex wrote:The wank scene was towards the end and I agree he stopped being a prude at that point (even before that when he tried to console Asuka when she got mind-raped). As for the attempted kiss when she was asleep, you have a point. However, I still thought he was a prude because he tried it when she was not aware yet did nothing when she initiated the kiss later on.

True, he is still a bit of a prude since he only attempted it when she was not aware of it. However, he attempted it nonetheless.

Originally posted on: 11-May-2005, 04:06 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:00 pm

This post is with all due apologies to the early posters in this thread, since I'm sure it duplicates, and indeed, draws upon the work of others, and I wish to make it clear that I don't intend to claim credit for the insights of others. I merely wish to offer a full treatment of the subject at hand.

I do, however, have a few interpretations of my own to add, and I hope that the consensus is that they are supported by the evidence. Without evidentiary support, interpretation is essentially just speculation, and there has been more than enough utterly unfounded speculation regarding the nature of the Shinji & Asuka relationship. The true nature of this relationship is not in doubt, as far as I am concerned.

I shall begin, then with the introduction of Asuka, by noting the key points of Episode #08 - Asuka Strikes. As can be seen in the screenshots, Asuka's initial reaction to him is anything but warm. In my view, this is because she sees him as a rival - she may not be the greatest pilot, with Shinji around.Also to be noted is how much she hates to hear Kaji praising the Third Children.

The first two screenshots are of her initial meeting with Shinji. She appears, to me at least, to be sizing up a potential rival, rather than a potential mate. Thoughts of romance have not yet entered either of their minds. Hardly surprising, consindering they have only just met.

Her somewhat unkind remark in the second screenshot could be attributed to a sort of automatic defense mechanism at work - Asuka has a fragile ego and criticises others more out of reflex than out of genuine distaste for the person in question.

In the third screenshot, please ignore the text in white at first - it has a meaning within the scene, but it is in fact background dialogue. This is not an uncommon way for Anno to communicate subtextual information to the viewer, especially where Asuka and Shinji are concerned, but first I shall deal with the primary meaning in this scene. At dinner, aboard ship, Kaji is singing the praises of Shinji, which is the cause for Asuka's somewhat sour expression. It is also laying the foundation stones for much of Asuka and Shinji's professional interaction. As a general rule, Asuka has the desire to prove that she is a better pilot than Shinji.

Continuing to lay the groundwork for this recuring theme in screenshot four, Kaji has just asked Asuka what she thinks of the Third Children. Her response, to my mind, seems to be one of self-defence. She does not wish to admit the possibility that Shinji could be a rival to her, a threat. In screenshots five and six, however, she is forced to concede the possibility that Shinji is not to be taken entirely lightly.

Kaji: Yet his sync ratio was well over 40% in combat, with no training.
Asuka: That can't be!

It's now time to review the background dialogue from the dinner-table scene.This dialogue, as in certain other instances within the series, is apparently a method of laying bare to the viewer what the character on screen is thinking. It's a clever method of exposition, and as I have learned, it is vital to understanding certain scenes.

I don't think I need to list the entire dialogue. It's interesting, and possibly a commentary on the relationships shared by the people present at the table, but I leave that analysis for greater minds than my own. The lines that I chose as significant, while assembling material for this analysis were ones which I felt worked on a different level, as an insight into Asuka's thoughts. I feel that their placement must have been deliberate.

"Who is it? It can't be... is it that guy?"

"No, it's this puppy."

"You're telling me that I lost to this puppy?"

"Yes, he's a good boy."

What I believe these lines mean, and note that they are placed to coincide with Asuka's displeasure at Kaji's praise for Shinji, is that Asuka "lost" to "this puppy" - it is easy to see how Shinji could be described as a puppy. He is eager to please, and loves to be told what a "good boy" he is. Already, before their relationship has much more than begun, Asuka already appears to be wishing that Shinji would grow a spine.

My next set of screenshots, however, show that once Asuka has learned of Shinji's piloting skills, her attitude towards him softens somewhat. She still remains brash, and somewhat rude, but this is the very nature of the beast. She does, however, seem to want to impress him, and prove to him which of them is the better pilot, and even who possesses the better Evangelion.

In screenshots seven to nine, she delights in showing off her Evangelion to Shinji - this, to me is significant, because it reveals what a huge part of her self-worth is tied up in her identity as an Eva pilot. In screenshot ten, she is delighted that an opportunity has come to show the "great Third Children" how good her piloting really is. This line on its own seems to me to be a compelling argument against any notion of Asuka being atracted to "muteki na Shinji-sama" - she would not, in my mind wish for the Third Children to surpass her in terms of synch ratio - she is happy for them to be close, so that it appears she has a worthy rival, but not too close. Nobody must surpass Asuka in the only thing she takes pride in.

The rest of #08 does not, it seems to me, contain anything hugely significant in terms of this relationship between Asuka and Shinji, but there are some extremely important points to consider, in #09 "Both of You, Dance Like You Want to Win!", so I'll pick it up there. "And next time, there'll be lots more service!" Image

Originally posted on: 11-May-2005, 04:38 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:01 pm

The next episode #09 "Both of You, Dance Like You Want to Win" has a scene at the start, in the school yard, which many see as a sign that Asuka has no interest in, or even downright hostility towards Shinji.

I say otherwise, of course. In screenshots 11 through 14, Asuka is clearly hoping for a more positive reaction from Shinji than that which she gets. Asuka is not a fan of the meek, the timid, and the faint-of-heart. She is also a girl who demands the attention of others. When nobody is paying attention to her, she barely even exists. We've all met that type in reality, right?

Deprived of the adulation and attention that she desires from the Third Children, she resorts, as always, to cruelty, in screenshots 15 and 16. This is the point where I began to think that what Asuka really wanted was a Shinji who would fit in with her idea of a man. Cool, self assertive, and confident. Rather like her beloved Kaji.

Although I am concentrating solely on the Asuka & Shinji relationship in these posts, It is my contention that Kaji is a surrogate father to both Shinji and Asuka, in the same way that Misato is their surrogate mother. Leaving aside the entertaingin notion that this would, in fact, make any Asuka & Shinji relationship incestuous, from a certain point of view, it fits nicely, because you could then say that where Shinji has the Oedipus complex, Asuka has the Elektra complex. Nice symmetry, if nothing else. Not, however, strictly germane to the topic at hand.

With regards to the notion of Papa-Asuka, OMF, I must respectfully submit that it is my opinion that not only are you barking up the wrong tree, but I suspect that your tree is in the wrong forest, and possibly on the wrong continent. It is not inconceivable that the tree you are barking up is on a different planet altogether, in fact, and is not a tree, but in fact a telegraph pole. In truth, it's possible that you are not even barking up it, but miaowing, instead. This is the degree to which I believe you are misguided with that notion, but I have been wrong before.

On to the first battle of this episode we go. In this, Asuka's behaviour does seem, at first glance, somewhat hostile, but bear in mind that she is feeling competitive, after learning of Shinji's high synch ratio, and may be anxious to prove herself. Even what seems at first to be hostility may actually be affection in disguise from some people.

There are two things I noticed about this sequence - firstly, despite her [i]apparent hostility towards Shinji, it is his approval that she seeks for cleaving the enemy in two, not Misato's, and secondly, with this level of desire to prove herself the best, may we finally lay to rest the concept that Asuka would be attracted to "muteki na Shinji-sama"?

The first sign of true affection, in my view, comes later on in this episode, when Misato suggests that it may be better to pair Shinji with Rei for the forthcoming mission.

in screenshots twenty-five and twenty-six, Asuka's dismay is plain to see. Would you suggest that this dismay is simply due to the fact that she is not going to be the pilot selected for the operation? Partly it is. Would you say that this is the only reason she is upset? I would ask you if that is enough to make her flee the house, as she does in screenshots twenty-seven and twenty-eight. I would also point out that if you do think this, then Hikari Horaki does not agree.

Hikari seems to think that Asuka is really hurt by the prospect that Shinji might reject her, or something along those lines. Does it seem so far-fetched to believe this, to you? Not to me. While, in screenshot thirty-three, Asuka does come up with some phoney reason why she has to "prove herself", in reality, I think that at some point during the offscreen time between now and the first battle of this episode, she's found just a little fondness in her heart for the Third Children - I have no idea who to attribute it to, but I would offer the following quote:

It takes a minute to find a special person, an hour to apreciate them, a day to love them, but then an entire life to forget them.

Oh, and one more thing... in screenshot thirty-four, did you notice how pleased Shinji looks? Did you ever wonder why? I'll let you draw your own conclusions. I've already drawn mine. Unfortunately, it's going to be a few hours before I can give my thought on the rest of this episode, but I do have a few (hopefully) original nuggets of analysis to offer. "And next time, I'll give you lots of service too!" Image

Originally posted on: 11-May-2005, 06:33 GMT

Goldarmy [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Goldarmy [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:01 pm

Reichu wrote:GoldArmy, you weren't supposed to take me so seriously. "The real fun has just begun" was just an impish way of saying... well, this is not so much the End as it is the beginning of a new adventure for both of them.

Yes maybe I shouldn't take it so seriously, but EOE was so touching and so much more dissappointing that I expect something among the lines "This isn't an end, nor it is the beginning of the end. This is just the end of a beginning." rather than an impish remark.

OMF wrote:I was going to argue my Papa-Asuka train of thought here, but I've also got an urge to explore Shinji's relationships with other father figures e.g. Gendou, Kaji. I'm wondering should I start another thread, but possibly include my thoughts from one into the other?

Well this is something I must have missed, what is Papa-Asuka train of thought?

Originally posted on: 11-May-2005, 13:09 GMT

OMF [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby OMF [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:01 pm

Soluzar wrote:Her somewhat unkind remark in the second screenshot could be attributed to a sort of automatic defense mechanism at work - Asuka has a fragile ego and criticises others more out of reflex than out of genuine distaste for the person in question....It is also laying the foundation stones for much of Asuka and Shinji's professional interaction. As a general rule, Asuka has the desire to prove that she is a better pilot than Shinji.

Very true. Asuka will brook no rivals, in anything. The attention Kaji and others pay to him would be vexing enough if he were at least as magnamous as he was made out to be. His rather tame an quiet persona only makes it worse.
Soluzar wrote:Continuing to lay the groundwork for this recuring theme in screenshot four, Kaji has just asked Asuka what she thinks of the Third Children. Her response, to my mind, seems to be one of self-defence. She does not wish to admit the possibility that Shinji could be a rival to her, a threat. In screenshots five and six, however, she is forced to concede the possibility that Shinji is not to be taken entirely lightly.

You're right. She is always trying to abase Shinji in any way she can if he's upstaged her. But note her addition. "I'm disappointed". She was expecting more.
Soluzar wrote:I don't think I need to list the entire dialogue.

Could you pretty please post the rest of it! I'm been dying to get my hands on this TV background in paticular.
Soluzar wrote:What I believe these lines mean, and note that they are placed to coincide with Asuka's displeasure at Kaji's praise for Shinji, is that Asuka "lost" to "this puppy" - it is easy to see how Shinji could be described as a puppy. He is eager to please, and loves to be told what a "good boy" he is. Already, before their relationship has much more than begun, Asuka already appears to be wishing that Shinji would grow a spine.

Exactly. He's considerably less than she expected. Asuka will constantly berate Shinji in an effort both to abase him and I think also to try to get him to grow up and be a man, with a spine.
Soluzar wrote:This line on its own seems to me to be a compelling argument against any notion of Asuka being atracted to "muteki na Shinji-sama" - she would not, in my mind wish for the Third Children to surpass her in terms of synch ratio - she is happy for them to be close, so that it appears she has a worthy rival, but not too close. Nobody must surpass Asuka in the only thing she takes pride in.

I can see your point when you say that no one must surpass Asuka in piloting. This is central to her dilema. However, note at this point that Asuka is still trying to impress Shinji. She still wants him to be a pilot worthy enough for her attentions. Asuka always sees Shinji as a lesser, but she's have much prefered him to be a greater lesser than he is. Asuka always wanted Shinji to be a more manly man, but this did not include him being a better pilot. Their relationship was at its best when he was both a pilot worthy of her respect and yet still was her lesser in skill. That's how Asuka would have liked it to remain.

Soluzar wrote:The next episode #09 "Both of You, Dance Like You Want to Win" has a scene at the start, in the school yard, which many see as a sign that Asuka has no interest in, or even downright hostility towards Shinji.

I always took this scene to be a key indication that Asuka relly was interested in Shinji. He's the only boy in school she talks to. And after all those lovely letters too!
Soluzar wrote:I say otherwise, of course. In screenshots 11 through 14, Asuka is clearly hoping for a more positive reaction from Shinji than that which she gets. Asuka is not a fan of the meek, the timid, and the faint-of-heart.

She has no respect for such persons. However she also dislike those who have enough confidence to stand up to her. Hence her dislike of Touji. Asuka really is a classic bully who will relentlessly tease Shinji. But like all bullies, she makes sure she's in a secure position, hence she moves quickly to become friends with Hikari.

Note however, that Asuka is the dominant one in this relationship too. Asuka wouldn't like Shinji to be someone like Touji. Rather she would prefer him to be like Hikari. Forceful in his own right to others, yet still acquiescent to her as a superior.
Soluzar wrote:She is also a girl who demands the attention of others. When nobody is paying attention to her, she barely even exists. We've all met that type in reality, right?

Extroverts wilt without social communication. Introverts wilt within it. Guess which one Shinji is.
Soluzar wrote:Deprived of the adulation and attention that she desires from the Third Children, she resorts, as always, to cruelty, in screenshots 15 and 16.

She also needs him to know his place, i.e. under her boot.
Soluzar wrote:With regards to the notion of Papa-Asuka, OMF, I must respectfully submit that it is my opinion that not only are you barking up the wrong tree, but I suspect that your tree is in the wrong forest, and possibly on the wrong continent. It is not inconceivable that the tree you are barking up is on a different planet altogether, in fact, and is not a tree, but in fact a telegraph pole. In truth, it's possible that you are not even barking up it, but miaowing, instead. This is the degree to which I believe you are misguided with that notion, but I have been wrong before.

Image I'm only labeling it Papa-Asuka for fun. I do still think that Shinji's desperation for Asuka's acceptance had paternal connotations. I don't think you'd disagree with me if I said he wanted her as a mentor or senpai. A big sister perhaps? Or brother Image I don't mean to say that Shinji wakes up thinking "I hope Papa-Asuka likes me!". But I do mean to say that Shinji wants Asuka's guidance and respect, and is terrified that she will abandon him as his father did.
Soluzar wrote:There are two things I noticed about this sequence - firstly, despite her [i]apparent hostility towards Shinji, it is his approval that she seeks for cleaving the enemy in two, not Misato's, and secondly, with this level of desire to prove herself the best, may we finally lay to rest the concept that Asuka would be attracted to "muteki na Shinji-sama"?

Remember that "Muteki na Shinji-sama" was a fantasy that existed almost completely in Asuka's head. Like all fantasies, he was a near impossibility. My argument is that she desired this figure to be both invincible and magnanamous, yet simultaniously her piloting lesser. Asuka's dream man is not her greater or equal, he is just a shade below her. This myth in her head might well have been one of her driving forces to seeks Shinji as a boyfriend.
Soluzar wrote:Hikari seems to think that Asuka is really hurt by the prospect that Shinji might reject her, or something along those lines. Does it seem so far-fetched to believe this, to you? Not to me. While, in screenshot thirty-three, Asuka does come up with some phoney reason why she has to "prove herself", in reality, I think that at some point during the offscreen time between now and the first battle of this episode, she's found just a little fondness in her heart for the Third Children - I have no idea who to attribute it to, but I would offer the following quote:

It's undoubtedly in episode #09 that Shinji and Asuka begin their thorny romance, courtesy of Tokyo-3's premier matchmaker Rouji Kaji!

Soluzar wrote:Oh, and one more thing... in screenshot thirty-four, did you notice how pleased Shinji looks? Did you ever wonder why? I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

You already know my conclusions!Image I'll give my twisted interpretion of (34) soon. However till then consider this tiny little insert from episode #15, the morning after the kiss!
DONKAN!!

Soluzar wrote:Well this is something I must have missed, what is Papa-Asuka train of thought?

It's a slight exaggeration of arguments I presented earlier in this thread

Originally posted on: 11-May-2005, 13:48 GMT

Digitalex [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Digitalex [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:01 pm

I'm only labeling it Papa-Asuka for fun. I do still think that Shinji's desperation for Asuka's acceptance had paternal connotations. I don't think you'd disagree with me if I said he wanted her as a mentor or senpai. A big sister perhaps? Or brother I don't mean to say that Shinji wakes up thinking "I hope Papa-Asuka likes me!". But I do mean to say that Shinji wants Asuka's guidance and respect, and is terrified that she will abandon him as his father did.

That's where I still disagree. Based on Shinji's psyche from your view, I could deduce that we could have a Papa-Kensuke, Papa-Touji, Papa-Misato and Papa-Rei as well. He just wants to be accepted and that goes for anyone. He even mentioned how all his friends were gone during the Final Messenger episode when no one was left. As for Asuka being the primary focus, I see it because of feelings of attraction towards her that he can't make sense of. He can't come to a realization..."wow I think I am really falling in LOVE with this girl". What do you expect when you're 14? He doesn't know how to express his feelings.

I see Shinji needing Asuka's support as an equal but not as some mentor. He needs a partner, someone to share his thoughts and feelings with on an equal level. If he wants someone on an adult level, Misato or even Kaji would be more apt to fit that need. Granted, a partner sometimes needs to take the lead at times but it's not absolute. It's a two-way street. Shinji and Asuka both need it. Neither of them want to be alone.

...Papa-Digi

Originally posted on: 11-May-2005, 15:44 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:01 pm

From what I see, he's smiling rather admirably at Asuka because he realizes that there is much more to Asuka then a hot, rude, battle-hungry person. I think he, at this point, realizes that she is a human he is willing to try and be with.

Originally posted on: 11-May-2005, 16:56 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Magami No ER wrote:From what I see, he's smiling rather admirably at Asuka because he realizes that there is much more to Asuka then a hot, rude, battle-hungry person. I think he, at this point, realizes that she is a human he is willing to try and be with.

That is exactly the conclusion which I draw from it. I think it's an important moment. Sometimes, it is not our strength that draws others to us, it is our weakness - paradoxical, perhaps, but true. I'll post my breakdown of the rest of that episode tonight.

Originally posted on: 11-May-2005, 17:11 GMT

Digitalex [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Digitalex [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:01 pm

Soluzar wrote:That is exactly the conclusion which I draw from it. I think it's an important moment. Sometimes, it is not our strength that draws others to us, it is our weakness - paradoxical, perhaps, but true. I'll post my breakdown of the rest of that episode tonight.

hmmm... I'll have to watch that specific episode tonight. I never noticed that before. He rarely exhibited that expression so I would be inclined to believe that Shinji is looking rather fondly of her as well. Go get her tiger! Image

Originally posted on: 11-May-2005, 18:12 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Digitalex wrote:hmmm... I'll have to watch that specific episode tonight. I never noticed that before. He rarely exhibited that expression so I would be inclined to believe that Shinji is looking rather fondly of her as well. Go get her tiger! Image

While she's gorging herself on convenience-store snack-foods no less. Surely a high-point in her attractiveness. Image

Originally posted on: 11-May-2005, 18:47 GMT

Digitalex [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Digitalex [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:02 pm

Soluzar wrote:While she's gorging herself on convenience-store snack-foods no less. Surely a high-point in her attractiveness. Image

I personally find that a redeeming quality. I love a girl that can chow down. Image

Originally posted on: 11-May-2005, 19:30 GMT

OMF [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby OMF [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:02 pm

Digitalex wrote:As for Asuka being the primary focus, I see it because of feelings of attraction towards her that he can't make sense of. He can't come to a realization..."wow I think I am really falling in LOVE with this girl". What do you expect when you're 14? He doesn't know how to express his feelings.

This was my earlier point. His resolution to his attraction to Asuka is to seek here as a chaste guardian, not an object of desire.

Magami No ER wrote:From what I see, he's smiling rather admirably at Asuka because he realizes that there is much more to Asuka then a hot, rude, battle-hungry person. I think he, at this point, realizes that she is a human he is willing to try and be with.

So what do you think made him realise this? Her declaration that her pride was wounded or that she wanted to get back at Misato and Rei? I don't see much in this scene that would make Shinji of all people suddenly look at Asuka differently. She's very much as she's always been.

I've always thought his was smiling because he's finally figured out that it's not him she was mad at. Also, now the plan was going to work, thanks to Misato's stunt with Rei.

Originally posted on: 12-May-2005, 08:29 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:02 pm

Soluzar wrote:As can be seen in the screenshots, Asuka's initial reaction to him is anything but warm. In my view, this is because she sees him as a rival - she may not be the greatest pilot, with Shinji around.

It is significant that her reaction is more to the fact that he's done this without training - to me, it seems clear that her reaction is more that he has not earned the privilege of being an elite pilot, rather than an automatic rejection of a rival. That is where he presents the greatest threat to her self-image, and what, I think, is borne out by the puppy dialogue from the chorus.

Soluzar wrote:in screenshots twenty-five and twenty-six, Asuka's dismay is plain to see. Would you suggest that this dismay is simply due to the fact that she is not going to be the pilot selected for the operation?

Well, the entire foundations of her justification for existence have just been kicked out from under her. She's gone from being the one chosen child to a replaceable unit. I can sympathise with how that sort of thing can make you feel.

Originally posted on: 12-May-2005, 08:35 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:02 pm

OMF wrote:So what do you think made him realise this? Her declaration that her pride was wounded or that she wanted to get back at Misato and Rei? I don't see much in this scene that would make Shinji of all people suddenly look at Asuka differently. She's very much as she's always been.

Shinji has been stated as as being naive. His smile doesn't seem to convey a relief, it looks more like he was admiring her for something....determination for her pride and honor? Those traditinally have been important for some folks of that tradtition, mainly Asian ones.(If this didn't make sense, sorry. T_T)
Hey, maybe he was really realived that she wasn't mad at first, then when that line was spoken, he realized her determination. Maybe he(and other Asuka fans) enjoy that quality. To each their own.

Digitalex wrote:I personally find that a redeeming quality. I love a girl that can chow down.

See? Image

Could anyone, or Reichu(sorry if I'm picking on ya again. Image ), what's Asuka's original Japanese line from screenshot 33?

Originally posted on: 11-May-2005, 22:04 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:02 pm

OMF wrote:This was my earlier point. His resolution to his attraction to Asuka is to seek here as a chaste guardian, not an object of desire.

I've always thought his was smiling because he's finally figured out that it's not him she was mad at. Also, now the plan was going to work, thanks to Misato's stunt with Rei.

I disagree with both of these assessments.

@Magami: Asuka's actual line is "Kizutsukerareta PURAIDO wa juubai ni shite kaeshite yaru no yo!" I guess a more literal assessment of this than ADV's original subtitle might be, "I'll pay them back tenfold for my injured pride!" Only tenfold, Asuka? Image

Sadly, the only thing it says about Shinji's expression here is that "he sort of understands".

Originally posted on: 11-May-2005, 22:46 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:02 pm

Thank you.^^
Shinji does seem a bit...glazed eyed? Entranced? I'm teling ya, when I first saw that image of him stilled, I thought these things. He looked like he was admiring her determination, despite the circumatances(for usually, he would show concern if Rei was being threatened...not this time.^^)

Originally posted on: 11-May-2005, 22:49 GMT

OMF [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby OMF [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:03 pm

Reichu wrote:@Magami: Asuka's actual line is "Kizutsukerareta PURAIDO wa juubai ni shite kaeshite yaru no yo!" I guess a more literal assessment of this than ADV's original subtitle might be, "I'll pay them back tenfold for my injured pride!" Only tenfold, Asuka? Image

Sadly, the only thing it says about Shinji's expression here is that "he sort of understands".

What were his lines beforehand exactly. Wasn't he expressing disapproval at her wanting to triumph over Rei and Misato? Shinji's not the type to admire animosity in others. So what's he smiling at?

Originally posted on: 11-May-2005, 22:58 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”