Mari Discussion/Speculation: Version 2.22

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
simon
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby simon » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:22 am

All we know for sure now is that the chick destroyed unit 02, probably beyond recovery. For that alone she got my eternal abomination. Asuka is the only person that can trash evas. ;]
"Images, quotes, and code tags are not allowed in Signatures."
Just some awesome polish art site:fototapety

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:50 pm

View Original PostDarthGendo wrote:"I want Mari to destroy old Eva."
I think we can say we're well on our way to "Mission Accomplished" with that.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

Postby bladerj » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:56 pm

I think mari is a super spy and in the end will kill Kaji to save her own perfectly round ass, and be killed by seele anyway.
ANATA BAKA !?

Number 44
Adam

Postby Number 44 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:43 pm

I know this is gonna get deleted as per the warning at the topic...

BUT

Theory #1: Mari is Anno's take on a cat girl. Animal/Human hybrid of some sort. This would explain Mari's connection with animals.

Theory #2: Rei and Kaworu are angel's souls stuck in human form. Evangelion are basicly angels with just a human human DNA spliced in or something of the sort. And Mari? Maybe she's human with just a little angel DNA spliced in.

Theory #3 Not really a theory but Rei Anami is listed as public relations for Tokyo TV. Probably a common enough name in Japan and after all it's not exactly the same name, but I do wonder. Anyone care to check NGE/EoE's credits for a Mari?
No matter how many times you watch your copy of End of Evangelion, the ending is not going to change.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Warren Peace » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:10 pm

(response to a quote from one of the other threads that I'll post here instead in support of the Mari Threads Instrumentality Project:)

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Well, even Sadamoto said in an interview that Mari is not meant to be a character from Eva, she's meant to feel like an outsider/from another series.

I wonder if this sheds light on Mari's overall purpose. I'm flashing back to Anno's mission statement that went along with Rebuild's announcement. Part of it comes off as a condemnation of modern anime:

View Original PostTeh Anno wrote:Many different desires are motivating us to create the new "Evangelion" film.

The desire to portray my sincere feelings on film.
The desire to share, with an audience, the embodiment of image, the diversity of expressions, and the detailed portrayal of emotions that animation offers.
The desire to connect today's exhausted Japanese animation [industry] to the future.
The desire to fight the continuing trend of stagnation in anime.

The desire to support the strength of heart that exists in the world.

Finally, the desire to have these wishes be realized.

For these purposes, we used the best methods available to us to make another Evangelion film.
Many times we wondered, "It's a title that's more than 10 years old. Why now?"
"Eva is too old", we felt.
However, over the past 12 years, there has been no anime newer than Eva.

Specifically, among the stagnant mood of the present day, it is the portrayal of will - not technology - that is most important.
To support the fans that support animation, we felt that a work that would appeal to middle and high school-aged men, who quickly grow away from Anime, was necessary.
When we decided that we wanted to something to support the anime [industry] of today, the determination to return to this title was strong.

As the creator of this project, [I assure you that] a very new-feeling Evangelion world has been constructed.
For this purpose, we are not returning to our roots at Gainax. I have set up a production company and studio, and it is in this new setting that we will start again.
Without looking back, without admiration for the circumstances, we aim to walk towards the future.
Thankfully, we have gathered staff from the old series, new staff, and many other fantastic staff to work on this series.
We realize that we are creating something that will be better than the last series.

”Eva" is a story that repeats.
It is a story where the main character witnesses many horrors with his own eyes, but still tries to stand up again.
It is a story of will; a story of moving forward, if only just a little.
It is a story of fear, where someone who must face indefinite solitude fears reaching out to others, but still wants to try.
We hope that you look forward to the 4 new retellings of this story.

In closing, it is also our job to provide a service to our customers.
Although it seems obvious, we aim to create a form of entertainment that anyone can look forward to; one that people who have never seen Evangelion can easily adjust to, one that can engage audiences as a movie for theatres, and one that produces a new understanding of the world.

This fall, we hope you can join us.

Creator/General Director, Anno Hideaki

Taking that along with Sadamoto's statement makes me think that Mari is Rebuild's commentary on contemporary anime. What do we know about her so far? Superficially, she's derivative of other Eva characters. She digs Rei's fashion sense, with the uniform being her default mode of dress. She thinks Asuka has a neat way of clipping her hair and shares the bi-cultural aspect of her. Mari's reasons for piloting also seem to be shallower than the other children. Whereas each of them have complicated reasons for doing it, she straps in 'cuz it's really cool and fun and shit. "The Beast" strips away all humanity from Eva, creating something that is flashy but soulless. Rahxephon, basically.

Who knows what the Hell they're doing with the character, but from all indications I think this is where they're heading.

(oh, and I feel this also has something to do with it, but I'm not sure what:)

DarthGendo wrote:It's an interview with Rei's and Mari's seyus: Megumi Hayashibara and Maya Sakamoto.
The interesting part is, of course, Sakamoto's.
She was discussing her character with Anno. And that's what Anno said:
"I want Mari to destroy old Eva."

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

Postby AuraTwilight » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:05 am

Theory #2: Rei and Kaworu are angel's souls stuck in human form. Evangelion are basicly angels with just a human human DNA spliced in or something of the sort. And Mari? Maybe she's human with just a little angel DNA spliced in.

Minor nitpick. Evangelions are clones of Adam with human souls. No human DNA involved. Though your idea with Mari is still plausible (though I'd personally imagine she'd of been given some sort of visual clue like having a similar color scheme to Rei and Kaworu or something).
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:20 am

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:Mari is Rebuild's commentary on contemporary anime.
But she's not a moe-blob sitting around doing cute things with other moe-blobs.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:44 am

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:Taking that along with Sadamoto's statement makes me think that Mari is Rebuild's commentary on contemporary anime.
Sadamoto said in his interview (which was inaccessible last time I tried to access the webpage and now seems to be gone altogether) that Mari is the "traditional" mecha pilot. In other words, the pilot you'd see in really old giant robot anime. Not exactly very contemporary.

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|
Admin Emeritus :-{|

Postby Fazmotron » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:15 am

View Original PostNumber 44 wrote:Theory #1: Mari is Anno's take on a cat girl. Animal/Human hybrid of some sort. This would explain Mari's connection with animals.

What? What connection does she have with animals? (apart from ZA BEASTO)

View Original PostNumber 44 wrote:Theory #2: Rei and Kaworu are angel's souls stuck in human form. Evangelion are basicly angels with just a human human DNA spliced in or something of the sort. And Mari? Maybe she's human with just a little angel DNA spliced in.

We don't know anything about the souls of Rei and Kaworu in Rebuild, we don't even know if they're connected to Adam and Lilith.

View Original PostNumber 44 wrote:Theory #3 Not really a theory but Rei Anami is listed as public relations for Tokyo TV. Probably a common enough name in Japan and after all it's not exactly the same name, but I do wonder. Anyone care to check NGE/EoE's credits for a Mari?

What?
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Warren Peace » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:39 am

View Original PostNAveryW wrote:Sadamoto said in his interview (which was inaccessible last time I tried to access the webpage and now seems to be gone altogether) that Mari is the "traditional" mecha pilot. In other words, the pilot you'd see in really old giant robot anime. Not exactly very contemporary.

I don't get that sense at all, she seems extremely modern. Never saw a character like her prancing around Gigantor and the like. Even if Gunbuster is "really old giant robot anime", I don't see how she fits. Everything about her screams post-millenial.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:32 am

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:I don't get that sense at all, she seems extremely modern. Never saw a character like her prancing around Gigantor and the like. Even if Gunbuster is "really old giant robot anime", I don't see how she fits. Everything about her screams post-millenial.

Gigantor is too old and Gunbuster isn't old enough.

Think Mazinger Z or Getter Robo. Or hell, think Gurren Lagann, since that's one long love letter to super-robot anime.

I still don't get what possessed Anno and Sadamoto to come up with an Eva character whose sole stated purpose is to not be anything like an Eva character, but maybe there's still something to it.

At least Mari, having no prior existence, doesn't bug me like the bastardized versions of NGE characters Rebuild uses.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

DarthGendo
Adam

Postby DarthGendo » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:26 am

It's not her sole purpose. That's for sure.
Anno is aiming for something bigger with Mari.
RoE3/4 preview prooves that.
I believe Mari is a key to all events that take place in Rebuild.
The libtardation is strong in these forums.

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

Postby the_seventh_child » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:28 am

View Original PostDarthGendo wrote:It's not her sole purpose. That's for sure.
Anno is aiming for something bigger with Mari.
RoE3/4 preview prooves that.
I believe Mari is a key to all events that take place in Rebuild.

Then, the show should be called "Mari's adventures in Eva Land."
I mean ok guys, it is obvious Mari is gonna play an active role, but let us hold our horses that she is somehow the Aizen of Eva.
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

DarthGendo
Adam

Postby DarthGendo » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:48 am

If it's a simple remake with some additions/changes/never before seen cut scenes, it must be called
Remake of Evangelion.
Or does Rebuild of Evangelion means that a key to all events in the movies is Rebuilding or Perestroika in USSR?

Don't be picky about words and titles.

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

Postby the_seventh_child » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:07 am

View Original PostDarthGendo wrote:If it's a simple remake with some additions/changes/never before seen cut scenes, it must be called
Remake of Evangelion.
Or does Rebuild of Evangelion means that a key to all events in the movies is Rebuilding or Perestroika in USSR?

Don't be picky about words and titles.

Doesn;t mean, that Mari is gonna be the master-supervision builder of Rebuild you know.
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

DarthGendo
Adam

Postby DarthGendo » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:12 am

I never said that.
I meant I believe she's a key to understanding the whole plot.
It's possible, don't you think so?

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

Postby the_seventh_child » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:18 am

View Original PostDarthGendo wrote:I never said that.
I meant I believe she's a key to understanding the whole plot.
It's possible, don't you think so?

You said, Mari is the key to all the events of Rebuild.
And this sound a bit blown out of proportions, for a secondary character. True, she is probably gonna be present at plot revelations, but doubt she will be the key or something like that.
Anyway, pointless debate is pointless. Let us wait and see.

Mishrak
Embryo

Postby Mishrak » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:29 am

Mari has done way too many unusual things to be pushed aside as a secondary character. Between what went down with Tunniel, and her unlocking the limiters on Unit 02, and the lack of information we have about her, leads me to believe they will reveal some pretty heavy stuff about her in Q that will hopefully explain her relation to Kaji, why she entered Japan covertly and just exactly who she is.

I agree with DarthGendo that it's likely she holds a lot of answers to the Rebuild plot. Why would Anno introduce a whole new character to the series if this wasn't the case?

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

Postby the_seventh_child » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:36 am

View Original PostMishrak wrote:Mari has done way too many unusual things to be pushed aside as a secondary character. Between what went down with Tunniel, and her unlocking the limiters on Unit 02, and the lack of information we have about her, leads me to believe they will reveal some pretty heavy stuff about her in Q that will hopefully explain her relation to Kaji, why she entered Japan covertly and just exactly who she is.

I agree with DarthGendo that it's likely she holds a lot of answers to the Rebuild plot. Why would Anno introduce a whole new character to the series if this wasn't the case?

Oh. Mari turned to a main character now? Oh, ok then.

And ok srs now, to end this 'debate'. Mari IS a secondary character so far. She does seem to know her way around Evas and a few 'secretive' stuff.
Does this mean, she gets labeled as main-chara and a key to all the future-plot revelations of Rebuild? Um, no. The equation does not seem to be giving a result.
Yes, Mari will be important. But not the key or some shit like this.

If we complaining about nitpicking in words and stuff, then we might as well pay attention to big words we might be using for charas and their actions.

DarthGendo
Adam

Postby DarthGendo » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:45 am

the_seventh_child wrote:And this sound a bit blown out of proportions, for a secondary character.
Oh. Mari turned to a main character now? Oh, ok then.

Implying Mari is a secondary character.
Mari IS a secondary character so far.

Key word - so far.
Until episode 8 of NGE Asuka wasn't even a character. Or until the release of RoE2. Then what?
If we talk about secondaries, everyone is except Shinji Ikari.

Do you care to explain, what is the whole "destroy old Eva" thing for?
Just introduce new character, new organisation "IPEA", new Evangelions from 05 to 08, let Asuka pilot Unit 03, create so-called "Adams", create new Angels, make Kaoru sound like he knows Ikari for a while now, make the ocean red - and you're done. You have succesfully destroyed old Eva.

Why saying this to seyu, like this is the purpose of her character only?

And the debate won't end until people, including you and me, are willing to debate.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”