Shinji & Rei in Q/3.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed May 02, 2012 3:40 pm

^
And all the incest soup.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed May 02, 2012 6:36 pm

View Original PostBC Baron wrote: At the moment, the only visible things floating around in Unit-01's entry plug might be an empty plugsuit and/or school uniform...

And the SDAT Player! Don't forget the SDAT Player!

ONIAgent150 wrote:Let's not loose sight of what's really important here: Rei is naked and on top of Shinji. Even if they are both stuck in Unit-01 and don't have sex (which I consider unlikely) it's gonna be awkward as hell opening that plug up and seeing that.

Shinji was probably tanged by the point he got enveloped in that blue light/fire, (Quite some determination, he didn't even notice his freakin body liquified) but thev whole thing does have a symbolic sex vibe to it, especially with EVA 01 and the red mini GNR floating to each other/ she looked like she was snuggling up to EVA 01's chest right before melting into it, the bizare heart/blod vessels formation with her head being headed towards the heart thing and not the core and, most obviously, the fact that their "unification" leads to the "birth of a new lifeform"...

I'd also like to direct your attention that Shinji, who can't even suffer his hand being touched if he's in a bad mood and tended to shrink away from any human contact/ has probably never been hugged in his life (since ep 16 didn't happen in Rebuildverse) is actually taking someone into a full-body hug with his arms wrapped around her, their heads on each other's shoulder and almost their entire torsos touching... Frankly, when I first saw that, I was almost shocked,I never thought we'd actually see him doing something like that.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Drabant
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Drabant » Thu May 03, 2012 2:34 pm

View Original PostONIAgent150 wrote:Let's not loose sight of what's really important here: Rei is naked and on top of Shinji. Even if they are both stuck in Unit-01 and don't have sex (which I consider unlikely) it's gonna be awkward as hell opening that plug up and seeing that.

I think they can handle a couple of naked kids, and being awkward is both Rei and Shinji's forte. At worst it's just going to be twice as weird as Shinji lying butt naked on the EVA bridge, since Rei will be lying there butt naked too.

View Original PostKendrix wrote:cutty

everything is sex to you isn't it

Sun Stealer
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sun Stealer » Thu May 17, 2012 10:02 pm

View Original PostNa7e wrote:Not really. Shinji really hasn't shown an romantic inclination.

No sexual attraction whatsoever? Because I remember in 1.0, after Shinji gets up from stumbling into a naked Rei, he tries to sneak a second peak while she's dressing, the loveable rascal. Unless of course he was really eyeing the pills, to sell on the streets; but they had to cut the Drugdealer!Shinji subplot and never told us about it.

Of course he has some sexual attraction to Rei, just as he has some sexual attraction to Asuka. He's a physically healthy, teenage boy around cute girls, after all!

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Na7e » Fri May 18, 2012 12:13 am

View Original PostSun Stealer wrote:No sexual attraction whatsoever? Because I remember in 1.0, after Shinji gets up from stumbling into a naked Rei, he tries to sneak a second peak while she's dressing, the loveable rascal.

You bring up a fair point, I apologize if it came across as me speaking in absolutes, it really wasn't my intent. I do remember that scene, but other than that he never really sexualizes her again, nor does the remainder of 1.11 or 2.22 ever focus on scenes involving his libido. He cooks for her, remarks how she smells exactly like Yui, weird dreams of them being related, and his final act in the film is shutting himself out of the world for the maternal warmth he thinks she can provide(she can't).

Though I wouldn't consider ReShinji a lovable rascal, more like the scum of the earth.

View Original PostSun Stealer wrote:Of course he has some sexual attraction to Rei, just as he has some sexual attraction to Asuka. He's a physically healthy, teenage boy around cute girls, after all!

Well I'm not going to argue that becuase I'm still a teenage boy. And, I can remember being 14 with my vain attempts at getting laid. Though I'm curious with Shinji showing any sort of sexual attraction towards Asuka, I could guess you could say the married couple scene because it implies the two are an item? I just chalk that up to how badly defined their relationship is in the rebuild.

Sun Stealer
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sun Stealer » Sat May 19, 2012 1:12 am

View Original PostNa7e wrote:Though I wouldn't consider ReShinji a lovable rascal, more like the scum of the earth.

When a person uses old, timey words or phrases like "lovable rascal", "right honourable gent", etc.; it is an indication that they aren't being entirely serious, you rascally ragamuffin, you.

Redaye
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Redaye » Sat May 19, 2012 2:27 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:And all the incest soup.

Hmmm. But wait, isn't Shinji's mom merely the hosting guest of honor? To hell with Gendo, I bet Yui's proud of him!
Process: Attempting to Comprehend
╔═══════════════════════════╗
║█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░║ (20%)
╚═══════════════════════════╝
Estimated Time Until Completion: RUNTIME ERROR 601

Seoul Gamer
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Seoul Gamer » Sat May 19, 2012 4:14 am

View Original PostNa7e wrote:You bring up a fair point, I apologize if it came across as me speaking in absolutes, it really wasn't my intent. I do remember that scene, but other than that he never really sexualizes her again, nor does the remainder of 1.11 or 2.22 ever focus on scenes involving his libido. He cooks for her, remarks how she smells exactly like Yui, weird dreams of them being related, and his final act in the film is shutting himself out of the world for the maternal warmth he thinks she can provide(she can't).

Though I wouldn't consider ReShinji a lovable rascal, more like the scum of the earth.

Well I'm not going to argue that becuase I'm still a teenage boy. And, I can remember being 14 with my vain attempts at getting laid. Though I'm curious with Shinji showing any sort of sexual attraction towards Asuka, I could guess you could say the married couple scene because it implies the two are an item? I just chalk that up to how badly defined their relationship is in the rebuild.

Actually, I believe that if there is meant to be any romance in the Rebuild films, it's still meant to be between Shinji and Asuka. They've just done a horrible job of making it clear. Changing the almost-kiss scene to a "let's use each other's first names" scene (which they did in the original anime anyway) doesn't help this any. I think they changed it because they were aware that they had thrown out all three of the Angels battles from the original that Asuka and Shinji got to know each other in.
Be warned, I may occasionally ask stupid questions.

trkk-KAAN
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby trkk-KAAN » Sun May 20, 2012 8:26 pm

I know this sounds stupid, but in the 3.0/Q preview says that Shinji and Rei are frozen inside EVA-01 so are they having an acid trip while stuck in EVA-01? Also how did they get frozen too?

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun May 20, 2012 10:13 pm

Eva-01 is frozen, Shinji and Rei are "just" trapped. It can be assumed that some kind of Episode 20 events will happen at least partly in 3.0. For instance, Shinji (and now Rei) reduced to LCL while Shinji and Rei have mindfucks. Maybe some combination of Episode 20=Eva-01 and Episode 16=Leliel events, but who knows for sure.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

trkk-KAAN
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby trkk-KAAN » Sun May 20, 2012 10:30 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Eva-01 is frozen, Shinji and Rei are "just" trapped. It can be assumed that some kind of Episode 20 events will happen at least partly in 3.0. For instance, Shinji (and now Rei) reduced to LCL while Shinji and Rei have mindfucks. Maybe some combination of Episode 20=Eva-01 and Episode 16=Leliel events, but who knows for sure.

Hmm. I wonder what's the mindf&@k is gonna look like with the new 21th Century Animation Tecniques? Probably a bit blurry and with lights

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Na7e » Sun May 20, 2012 11:12 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Eva-01 is frozen, Shinji and Rei are "just" trapped. It can be assumed that some kind of Episode 20 events will happen at least partly in 3.0. For instance, Shinji (and now Rei) reduced to LCL while Shinji and Rei have mindfucks. Maybe some combination of Episode 20=Eva-01 and Episode 16=Leliel events, but who knows for sure.

I wouldn't say trapped, because that implies Shinji & Rei want to get out of Unit-01.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Sun May 20, 2012 11:34 pm

I'd be OK with Shinji and Rei staying in there, actually. Bring on the Mari, Asuka, and Kaworu show!

Mari: I'm your new son!
Gendo: No you're not!
Mari: DADDY!

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon May 21, 2012 9:12 am

View Original PostNa7e wrote:I wouldn't say trapped, because that implies Shinji & Rei want to get out of Unit-01.

From the very first 3.0 Preview (at the end of the 2.0 film/DVD/BD):

3.0 Next Time Preview wrote:Rei and Shinji still trapped within the frozen Eva-01.

Redaye
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Redaye » Mon May 21, 2012 10:11 am

I have to believe "frozen" is the result of penetration by the lance. I'd feel frozen too.
Process: Attempting to Comprehend
╔═══════════════════════════╗
║█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░║ (20%)
╚═══════════════════════════╝
Estimated Time Until Completion: RUNTIME ERROR 601

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Na7e » Mon May 21, 2012 11:30 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:From the very first 3.0 Preview (at the end of the 2.0 film/DVD/BD):

Yes, but that's Misato's narration of the events. And, it's not really hard to consider that she'd be an unreliable narrator with the "service service" she spouts off.

Shinji seemed kind of cool chilling in that blue womb space, at the end. Not many ways to interpret "It's alright like this," with a smile on your face as you fade away.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon May 21, 2012 12:09 pm

View Original PostNa7e wrote:Yes, but that's Misato's narration of the events.

So far, the narration (verbal, the sequence of events) for both NME films seems accurate compared to the visuals. Consider the Leliel events for 2.0's first preview compared to the updated/accurate TV preview when 1.01-TV aired.

For more comparison: First 3.0 Preview, Second 3.0 Preview.

And, it's not really hard to consider that she'd be an unreliable narrator with the "service service" she spouts off.

The "service, service" was something of an unreliable hook to get viewers to watch the original series. It's just a callback.

Shinji seemed kind of cool chilling in that blue womb space.

From what little we saw of him and Rei, yes. Shinji was content to have Rei back, but for all we know he could be mindraped to hell and back after reducing to LCL in Eva-01. It's really a waiting game for news, like the "Keywords" poster (1.0 posters, 2.0 posters) and 3.0 trailers.

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Na7e » Mon May 21, 2012 5:50 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:The "service, service" was something of an unreliable hook to get viewers to watch the original series. It's just a callback.

I mentioned it because it's still signs of an unreliable narrarator when she blatantly lies about the promise of fan service in NGE, when she was mostly lying. If shes true about service for 3.0 than they have really messed up priorities.

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:From what little we saw of him and Rei, yes. Shinji was content to have Rei back, but for all we know he could be mindraped to hell and back after reducing to LCL in Eva-01. It's really a waiting game for news, like the "Keywords" poster.

The only way I could see that is if Yui wasnt complicit with her body in the finale of 2.22, and would be rather pissed that Shinji unknowingly abused her.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon May 21, 2012 6:26 pm

A disembodied state deprived of traditional stimuli is all that's necessary to induce a good, solid mind trip. No "mind rape" by an external force is needed.

Na7e: Are you assuming "fan service" of the purely sexual kind? There are other, less infamous forms of fan service. I'll buy into your claims of "unreliable narrator" (assuming we're meant to take "service service!" 100% seriously...) if you can demonstrate that the promises of fan service, as it would have been understood by the Japanese audience at the time, were at any point voided.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon May 21, 2012 7:52 pm

"Mindrape" was a poor choose of words. All I meant was Shinji in 3.0/Q could be tripping out in Eva-01 ala Episode 20 (where there was no mindrape--in Episode 16 there was, but that was due to Leliel).

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”