3rd Angel ("Tunniel")

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Fri May 28, 2010 3:24 pm

[Initiate messy awful split from here. Some posts still contain items from that thread -- will attempt to correct this...]

So......Any pictures of Tunny and all the little details on him I've heard about?

On that note, anyone want to bet how long it takes for angel gender theories to be considered? I have a buck saying "Soon".
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Fri May 28, 2010 5:01 pm

TDSA: Which details, specifically?

I heard Tunny has Nerv or SEELE logos all over it's body and some ladders or something. If you've got pics of those I'd like to see them for myself if you'd be so kind.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Fri May 28, 2010 5:23 pm

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Fri May 28, 2010 5:27 pm

I think that the bones look natural, and there's probably something in the main body. Maybe all the markings and stuff are from study, and the metallic parts are a failed containment system?

Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Fri May 28, 2010 5:31 pm

He has what looks like an engine and exhaust manifold(?) on his back, as well as wires running along his body.

He also has some branding all over his body which you can see here.

Here you can barely make out the Seele apple and snake logos all over the walls, as Reichu previously mentioned (If you wanted to stretch it you could say he looks like a snake and an apple fused together).

Finally, here you can see the wires more clearly and that he has the Seele logo on his forehead. Interesting.

*sees pics*

Oh. My. Lord. That is SICK! I understand the whole "we must defend humanity from the Angels" thing but this is just plain cruel! :cringe: I mean, what the hell!? Poor Tunny, he got boned. Maybe an explanation will be done in 3.0. I doubt it, but there HAS to be a good reason to do, well, THAT.

Oh and thanks ZapX.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

EdZ
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby EdZ » Fri May 28, 2010 5:35 pm

That vertical projection looks suspiciously similar to an entry plug. And if the upturned rib-like bones are vertebrae, then it's in roughly the right place too.
And Mari has expertly lanced the not-entry-plug.

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Fri May 28, 2010 5:36 pm

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:Maybe an explanation will be done in 3.0. I doubt it, but there HAS to be a good reason to do, well, THAT.

Humans and Angels seem to be incapable of coexisting. The animalistic urge to return to Adam apparently overwhelms the Angels, and making contact with either Adam or Lilith is enough to wipe out mankind. That's good enough reason to do anything.

Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Fri May 28, 2010 6:01 pm

That's good enough reason to do anything.

Even torture? And if that's their reason what would they want him to say, yell and shout "Sachiel's off the coast of Tokyo, go now!"?

Okay, that joke was stupid, although something about this says conspiracy theory. I mean, what if they had a real use for Tunny like EdZ pointed out. Was he the designated Unit 07? Was he an attempt to brainwash the enemy and infiltrate? Or was he merely something they wanted to have a head on a pike to tell the angels "Keep Out". I sense conspiracy in this.

So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri May 28, 2010 6:17 pm

No, that's a pump of some sort circulating whatever is in the red and blue pipes. There's another one in the 'plug' pic and it's clearly hooked to the tubes.

Perhaps Tunniel was to become like the latest version of Mechagodzilla: a robot built on the skeletal structure of the original Godzilla?
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Amras Felagund
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Amras Felagund » Fri May 28, 2010 6:46 pm

*huggles Toji's little sister* She's so pinchable!

*looks at images of the Third Angel*

Yeesh... I almost feel bad for the thing. I suppose it's almost a mercy-killing on Mari's part, given the state of Kushiel's* existence at that point. "All that was left were some bones", indeed.
Maybe the Third Angel was the testbed for Evangelion synchronisation in NME? Before Eva-00, even. Hence the not-an-entry plug and all of the mechanical supplements. (I wonder if that middle segment, with the spider legs, is mechanical (or partly mechanical) as well.)

*Kushiel is my nickname for the Third Angel. Kushiel means "Rigid One of God", and is the angel who punishes sinners in Hell. Given the hellish names for parts of the Bethany Base (Acheron, Cocytus, etc.), it's ironically fitting.
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Fri May 28, 2010 7:00 pm

*Kushiel is my nickname for the Third Angel. Kushiel means "Rigid One of God", and is the angel who punishes sinners in Hell. Given the hellish names for parts of the Bethany Base (Acheron, Cocytus, etc.), it's ironically fitting.

Holy crap that's my nickname for him too! Is your nickname for Clocky Othniel too by any chance?
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Fri May 28, 2010 7:06 pm

View Original PostEdZ wrote:(I seem to recall that Bethany base is somewhere inside the Arctic Cricle, near Russia, but I can't recall where I head that),

Russia is mentioned in conjunction with "losing Eva-05", but so are the Europeans. Thus, I guess it's reasonable to conclude that Bethany is either north of Russia/Scandinavia or somewhere like the White Sea. All we really know though is that it's winter there while Japan is in permanent summer. It could be functionally anywhere, since the axis got thrown about. Oh well.

The blood smear on the moon does not appear to terminate at Lilith's crater, and there are no signs that Lilith has been moved (i.e. the blood smear is probably not from Lilith being dragged across the landscape).

Lilith-B, perhaps? (with -A being Eva-01, of course)

EVA-08 may have been constructed from NERV's Lilith in the same fashion that the Mark-06 was from SEELE's Lilith.

Why waste all of Lilith when you can clone her instead?

Amras Felagund wrote:Maybe the Third Angel was the testbed for Evangelion synchronisation in NME?

How would this work?

Kushiel is my nickname for the Third Angel.

I go with Asariel, meself. (Specifically the meaning "Whom God has bound")

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Fri May 28, 2010 9:26 pm

Not wires, arteries, and the stamps, seems to confirm the dissecations Kaji mentions, they are stamped over the skeleton like they do to catalogue them in museums and morgues.
it would be fun if skeletoniel reassembled itself in front of the examiners,lol.
ANATA BAKA !?

Synapsid
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Synapsid » Fri May 28, 2010 10:26 pm

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:Oh. My. Lord. That is SICK! I understand the whole "we must defend humanity from the Angels" thing but this is just plain cruel! *cringe* I mean, what the hell!? Poor Tunny, he got boned. Maybe an explanation will be done in 3.0. I doubt it, but there HAS to be a good reason to do, well, THAT.
If it makes you feel any better Asukael might have taken his job now (complete with all the wires and needles ...her plug suit already had logos), so NERV doesn’t seem to be very kind to their specimens...Even if they were their pilots. I suppose the NERV employees and audience might find it difficult to empathize with something as alien as Tuniel, but Asukael is different in that respect.
It's a trap!|Saigo no shisha seitenkan
Genderbending is an important part of any fandom and must be taken very seriously. ZapalacX
If you ever say that name again, I will hunt you down and neuter you with a spork. Sailor Star Dust *cue Shinji's bloodcurling girly scream* LiLi
leave my innocent Shinjiko thread alone! Reichu Asuka would be the one going "SURPRISE BUTTSEKS, BAKA!!!!" while of course in appropriate dress and, *cough, gulp, snort*, with a certain strapped on accessory THE Hal E. Burton 9000

Amras Felagund
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Amras Felagund » Fri May 28, 2010 11:59 pm

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:Holy crap that's my nickname for him too! Is your nickname for Clocky Othniel too by any chance?

Actually, I nicknamed it Shalgiel, based off of GreggHL's fanfiction Nobody Dies, where an Angel clearly derived from Clocky makes its appearance. According to this website ([url]http://philologos.org/bpr/files/a011.htm[/url]), Shalgiel is "angel of the snow". Rather fitting, given the snowflake-shaped ice footprints he leaves behind.

...Of course, it's just a nickname. It looks like the Angels in NME (apart from Lilith and (possibly) the Adams) are referred to exclusively by their numerical designation.

EDIT: I may have actually gotten the nickname Kushiel from you at some point. It fits, and it stuck.
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Sat May 29, 2010 12:26 am

If it makes you feel better, Twin Drive, I use Othniel for the 7th Angel.

Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sat May 29, 2010 7:15 am

If it makes you feel better, Twin Drive, I use Othniel for the 7th Angel.

That is pretty cool.
Shalgiel is "angel of the snow".

I knew there had to be an angel or snow or winter, I just couldn't find the name. Ah well.
EDIT: I may have actually gotten the nickname Kushiel from you at some point. It fits, and it stuck.

That would be from the "Do people hate Mari" topic, I did find it a little strange only SSD commented on it.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Onii-chan
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Onii-chan » Sat May 29, 2010 10:49 am

It's not surprising we don't know the names of the new angels yet. If I remember correctly, none of the angels are ever actually named by any of the characters in NGE; their names are only shown in captions on the screen in the "recap" ep 14 and in ep 23.

(Edit: Except Adam and Lilith of course).

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat May 29, 2010 11:38 am

It's strange, but the eye glow shifts from one mask to another. What's in those eye sockets, anyway? Are they just empty holes for two ectoplasmic eyes or something?

I don't know if this has been speculated on a lot, as I've been avoiding this forum, but Tunniel seems to be made up of man-made parts. Was it created by Seele? An Experiment taken over by an angel à la Bardiel or Iruel?

No one has been able to make any sense of Tunniel so far. The only thing we know for sure is that they found the Angel before Sachiel turned up. I doubt it's a Bardiel or Ireul case, but it might be the case of Dr. Frankenstein's monster. A deactivated, chopped to bits Angel being subject to a bunch of tests to turn it into Seele's pet monster and then being accidentally or deliberately set loose.

They took the trouble of branding the entire skeleton, but it beats me why they didn't surgically remove the eyes or the core. No eyebeams means a far less dangerous Angel, and a missing core would stop the skeleton from animating and going wild. Or were they trying to freeze the contents of the Angel's skull? (The things that look like an engine and exhausts may be a refrigeration system of some kind)
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Sat May 29, 2010 1:36 pm

I doubt you can remove the Core from the body. The core holds the soul which generates the AT Field which shapes the body around it. Succeeding doing so would almost certainly KILL the Third Angel, which would cause the body to go BOOM and make them lose their valuable specimen.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”