Split: Rebuild 2.0 pace/plot complaints

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
JimmyWolk
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby JimmyWolk » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:29 am

Soul Fire wrote:It's like starting a movie , stopping half way through and then moaning when you dont know what happens at the end.
Actually, it's more like starting a movie, the producer comes in half way through and stops it, saying "That's it for now, you'll get to see the rest in another year if I'm generous, and don't you dare form an opinion only on what you've seen so far!"

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:42 am

JimmyWolk wrote:Actually, it's more like starting a movie, the producer comes in half way through and stops it, saying "That's it for now, you'll get to see the rest in another year if I'm generous, and don't you dare form an opinion only on what you've seen so far!"

Starting a movie in a language you don't understand, the producer comes in half way through and stops it, saying "That's it for now, you'll get to see the rest in another year if I'm generous", then after the movie, people tell you incomplete bits and pieces of what happened.

Is probably more accurate.
Last edited by Ornette on Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:42 am

Yeah, but continuously claiming that "It makes no sense! The plot is a trainwreck!" without knowing it all is still ridiculous. It's making a claim without insufficient data.

Simply saying that "I don't like it and the producer (more the director in this case) is a prick!" is more honest, and doesn't involve trying to find a grip on something you just don't know yet.

EDIT:
:facepalm: Thanks for the fix, Soul Fire. I was caught up between typing "with insufficient" or "without sufficient".

Last edited by SaltyJoe on Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Soul Fire
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soul Fire » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:54 am

Yeah, but continuously claiming that "It makes no sense! The plot is a trainwreck!" without knowing it all is still ridiculous. It's making a claim without sufficient data.

Fixed
Yes I know Im posting a lot at the moment but I really dont have anything better to do at the moment and it takes my mind off the phone bill....

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:44 pm

The more I watch the movie, the more I like it... I think perhaps it could use a few more short scenes here and there to flash out certain characters and relationships a bit more... but that's what the multiple x.xxx releases are for, right? ;)
"People need more stfu in their diets." (NemZ)
"It was brainf@rt at first sight." [LiLi on Romance, II]

AVATAR - CUPCAKE CAT, SHOPPED BY NemZ

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:47 pm

I have a complaint.

Gendo shows surprise. What the hell is up with that?

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:54 pm

Axell wrote:I have a complaint.

Funny you should mention that.... lately I often found myself wondering, "Who kidnapped Gendo after RoE 1.0 and replaced him with a human being??"

Maybe that's why it took them so long to make 2.0... Bastard!Gendo had gone missing and they had to use 2D Anno to fill in for him!
Last edited by LiLi on Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby The Goose » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:56 pm

When does Gendo show surprise?

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:57 pm

Also, he looks but ugly in the graveyard scene.

At least my avy will keep gendo sexy

Heromaster111
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Heromaster111 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:30 pm

The Goose wrote:

When does Gendo show surprise?

I believe he means the scene when Rei and him are having dinner. Could be wrong though.

Soul Fire
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soul Fire » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:36 pm

That would be the scene where Shinji shouts at him calling him father after Rei is eaten and Shinji returns to pilot would it not? Do I detect a hint of sarcasm there as well with this latest little niggle we have. It's like '' shit ! Gendo's got stripy underpants on in that scene, rabble rabble rabble rabble''

:ting:
Yes I know Im posting a lot at the moment but I really dont have anything better to do at the moment and it takes my mind off the phone bill....

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:43 pm

Soul Fire wrote:'' shit ! Gendo's got stripy underpants on in that scene, rabble rabble rabble rabble''
That's what comes of rummaging in Asuka's drawers.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:46 pm

...I sort of like Human!Gendo... :yui_grin:

But now you guys have me wondering about his underwear... >>;; :gendo_kimura:

Heromaster111
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Heromaster111 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:51 pm

Soul Fire wrote:That would be the scene where Shinji shouts at him calling him father after Rei is eaten and Shinji returns to pilot would it not? Do I detect a hint of sarcasm there as well with this latest little niggle we have. It's like '' shit ! Gendo's got stripy underpants on in that scene, rabble rabble rabble rabble''

:ting:

I see. I think i need to watch it again.

Soul Fire
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soul Fire » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:51 pm

I see. I think i need to watch it again.

It made me do a slight double take when I saw it aswell. 1:33:15

That's what comes of rummaging in Asuka's drawers.

Like father, like son then?

I Accidentally Dracula
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby I Accidentally Dracula » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:03 pm

SaltyJoe wrote:Yeah, but continuously claiming that "It makes no sense! The plot is a trainwreck!" without knowing it all is still ridiculous. It's making a claim without insufficient data.

Except my complaints concerning forcing characters, taking too many technical liberties that erase exactly what made the show different from generic '90s mecha anime, and randomly jumping in and out of the TV series version of the events when it's convenient for drama have never changed.

If anything, it actually sounds weaker and even more poorly-conceived to me as I read more of the translated material.

SaltyJoe wrote:Simply saying that "I don't like it and the producer (more the director in this case) is a prick!" is more honest, and doesn't involve trying to find a grip on something you just don't know yet.

Except most of the issues stem from the second half of the movie just introducing plot device after plot device that go absolutely nowhere through the course of 2.0, which has nothing to do with a language barrier. It's sad when the writers are wasting a solid half of one movie just to basically advertise the next movie.
"I was God once."
-"Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Kozar927
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Kozar927 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:16 pm

I personally adore the rebuild series and this is from a synical fan who got angrey when I herd about rebuild. I though they would eff eva up but I love this interpritation of it. And besides its not like anything done in rebuild can detract from the origional eva. All it can do is draw more people into this delightful world of phsycologically malformed children.

As a side note ~ the Bardiel scean was spectacular. the ironic music choice along w that scean was perfection and that scean alone made my love for rebuild tripple. My biggest complaint is the fan servive. Why was their so much? Eva is serious and that be smirches its good name. Some is deff fine but their was just to much. Besides that rebuild is 10/10

Shinji-kun
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Shinji-kun » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:27 pm

No linking to pirated videos.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:27 am

Bumped so we can lock the "Rebuild is bad" thread. Please, please lock the "Rebuild is bad" thread. I'm not backseat moderating; I'm telling you how to raise your kids.

I may or may not have said this in multiple identical threads already, but all of my multiple complaints with 2.0 are things that would bother me in any similar film (many of my gripes are things that pollute countless Hollywood films) and have nothing to do with it being a remake. People have reacted to my (sometimes silly/pedantic) complaints with "People will find anything to complain about because it's different," but my complaints are all things that would still stand if this were an entirely new work.

Yes, I still think it's a pretty good movie. What doesn't work bothers me all the more because I've somewhat apotheosized Evangelion (unrealistically, yes) and because it means a lot to me and I want it to be as close to perfect as possible. Still, overall it's pretty good. That's the best I can say without rewatching it, which I'm trying really hard not to do until I get a better way to watch it.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Hikari and an owl
Embryo

Does anyone else feel this way about Rebuild 2.0?

•      
  •      

Postby Hikari and an owl » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:35 pm

http://www.evageeks.org/2010/02/update-evangelion-2-22-on-may-26th/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwNl5aSJAi4

Just wonderin'.
Last edited by Hikari and an owl on Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”