Evangelion 2.22, BD/DVD

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:35 pm

Might you post screenshots from the HK BD, preferably in scenes with lots of motion and/or gradients? If you're unable to do so, you can remove BD encryption with DVD Fab 7's Blu-ray to Blu-ray option (free for 30 days) or its HD decrypter which is apparently free forever. This is probably legal in the United States, but it's never been tested in court.

What's the "TW version"?

OH YES, and are the songs subtitled?
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

LazerBlader
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby LazerBlader » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:56 pm

View Original PostNAveryW wrote:
What's the "TW version"?

Taiwan version, I believe

ag1h
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ag1h » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:13 am

My PS3 can't run OtherOS anymore and I'm a Mac user myself. My friend ripped the JP BD ISO for me before. I know I can use Movist for playback and do screencaps once I can get a hold of the ripped ISO. I'll ask him to help me with ripping the HK version but that might take a while.

And yes, TW version = Taiwan version. That 1 is supposed to be BD50, meaning it should be identical to the the JP version with the specials intact, and it will have Chinese and/or English subtitles.

The HK version has subbed the songs.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 1000 character limit. Images, quotes, and code tags are not allowed in Signatures.

kirri
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby kirri » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:54 pm

My HK BD arrived in the mail today, and I just finished watching it. The subtitles seemed good, for the most part. They were completely white and sometimes hard to read because of this, but it was not a big issue. There was a couple parts that had odd translations, like when Kaji meets Shinji for the first time and talks about Misato, that part was translated weird and lost it's humor. There was a few grammatical errors and minor typos, but nothing major. Overall, it didn't seem too different from the fansub I had watched on my computer.

Rathalos
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Rathalos » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:12 am

View Original Postkirri wrote:My HK BD arrived in the mail today, and I just finished watching it. The subtitles seemed good, for the most part. They were completely white and sometimes hard to read because of this, but it was not a big issue. There was a couple parts that had odd translations, like when Kaji meets Shinji for the first time and talks about Misato, that part was translated weird and lost it's humor. There was a few grammatical errors and minor typos, but nothing major. Overall, it didn't seem too different from the fansub I had watched on my computer.

Does the HK BD version have widescreen? If it does, the subtitles can be underneath the actual movie in the black bars.

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Kaji really did kill that joke. Killed it dead.

•      
  •      

Postby Killer Bee » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:32 am

View Original Postkirri wrote:There was a couple parts that had odd translations, like when Kaji meets Shinji for the first time and talks about Misato, that part was translated weird and lost it's humor.

It couldn't lose something it never had.

Anywho, how's the quality? Does it appear to be in full 1080p and look just as good as the Japanese BD?

kirri
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby kirri » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:39 pm

View Original PostRathalos wrote:Does the HK BD version have widescreen? If it does, the subtitles can be underneath the actual movie in the black bars.

Well, I have a widescreen TV, and it fit my whole screen, so there was no black bars for me.

View Original PostKiller Bee wrote:It couldn't lose something it never had.

Anywho, how's the quality? Does it appear to be in full 1080p and look just as good as the Japanese BD?

TBH, I'm not one to judge the quality since I had just bought this Blu-ray player and TV, and this was the first Blu-ray I've ever actually watched. :sweatdrop: I watched the rip of the Japanese BD on my computer, but it looks different when watching it on an HDTV, so I can't really tell if there was a different in quality. It looked good as far as I could tell though. Hopefully, someone else who knows a little more about these things will get theirs soon, and be able to a give a better assessment on it.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:30 pm

I got the BD in the mail today. To my surprise, it came not just with the movie and the booklet, but with a CD! A CD with Mari on it and the Nerv logo! What could it be? The soundtrack? A screensaver! Nope...

SPOILER: Show
Nothing! It's blank!

The movie is noticeably compressed, but still looks better than any given compressed fansub you'd find. It's no worse than the Ghost in the Shell 2.0 BD I bought from Best Buy.

As for the subtitles, a few things of interest:
-The English is no longer subbed in Japanese. A bit of a shame, really, since seeing English subbed in Japanese and Japanese subbed in English would be rather hilarious. Also, Kaji's English is unsubbed which is quite unfortunate for the uninitiated.
-The subs are not completely white. They have a thin black border.
-Some of the lines are translated rather poorly. "I still can't believe mom have buried here."
-Any time a song is subtitled, the line will begin with #. I'm guessing it's a formatting error.
-The songs are only partially subtitled. When a character is talking, that character's lines will be subbed instead of the song's. This is rather awkward, particularly when the song lines rhyme with the character dialogue.

#Bring me to your dream and see things through.
This is what the Dummy System can do?

I uploaded comparison screenshots here. Yes, big filesize, but compressing the images in any way would have defeated the whole purpose of uploading them. Interestingly, the HK images sometimes look "cleaner" in terms of graininess... probably just because the movement of the grain is lost in compression.

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:10 pm

Looked at the screenshots, am slightly disappointed in the pixelization near lines. I wish they would've used only 1 of the 2 HD Japanese tracks and used the extra gigabytes for video instead. Also, the fact that they used a BD-25 makes no sense at all. Oh well, still beats Funi's non-existant 2.22 which won't come out until just before the world ends according to the Mayans...

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:21 pm

The video really doesn't look as bad in motion as the screenshots make it out to be. I deliberately used high-motion scenes for many of the screenshots to show where the difference is the greatest.

The difference between the JP BD and the HK BD is about the same as the difference between a standard DVD and a Superbit DVD of the same film.

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Clover » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:22 pm

View Original Postsvenge wrote:Looked at the screenshots, am slightly disappointed in the pixelization near lines. I wish they would've used only 1 of the 2 HD Japanese tracks and used the extra gigabytes for video instead. Also, the fact that they used a BD-25 makes no sense at all. Oh well, still beats Funi's non-existant 2.22 which won't come out until just before the world ends according to the Mayans...
With that logic, we will never see the end of Rebuild. Hopefully the Tares are anime fans.

Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 04 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:25 pm

View Original Postsvenge wrote:Looked at the screenshots, am slightly disappointed in the pixelization near lines. I wish they would've used only 1 of the 2 HD Japanese tracks and used the extra gigabytes for video instead. Also, the fact that they used a BD-25 makes no sense at all. Oh well, still beats Funi's non-existant 2.22 which won't come out until just before the world ends according to the Mayans...

2.22 will come out next year just watch. And if you actually believe that the world will actually end in 2012,then you cant be all that smart.

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:13 am

View Original PostEva 04 wrote:2.22 will come out next year just watch. And if you actually believe that the world will actually end in 2012,then you cant be all that smart.

It may come out next year, but probably in Q3 or Q4 if in 2011 at all. As for 2012, it's called hyperbole. Look it up.

soundwaveCA
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby soundwaveCA » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:49 am

HK blu-ray looks fine, honestly I can't tell the difference between the JP and HK BD releases. Audio/Video quality is pretty good overall and on par with the Japanese release, translations pretty sketchy though, not great but it gets the job done until Funimation gets around to releasing it here (and they did not announce anything at AX so don't be expecting it anytime soon).

Screen caps from the R3 DVD *spoilers!!!*: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v209/soundwaveca/Eva%20Screencaps/

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:15 am

Screenshots saved as JPGs do no good unless they're saved losslessly. Are these saved losslessly?

Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 04 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:42 pm

View Original Postsvenge wrote:It may come out next year, but probably in Q3 or Q4 if in 2011 at all. As for 2012, it's called hyperbole. Look it up.

Why? Nothing is gonna happen that year anyway. There's no proof or anything.And Q4 sounds about right for 2.22 to come out next year since 1.0 came out at that time.

insomniac
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby insomniac » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:25 am

View Original PostNAveryW wrote:I got the BD in the mail today. To my surprise, it came not just with the movie and the booklet, but with a CD! A CD with Mari on it and the Nerv logo! What could it be? The soundtrack? A screensaver! Nope...

I received my DVD today (BD is Region B, and not A where I live), and I got Asuka! Would've preferred Rei, but better Asuka than Mari. :P

It's just a stylish CD-R, it says on the disc.

I've just done watching 1.11 on BD, and decide to pop in the 2.22 DVD, but the subs are so pixelated.

The DVD quality is kind of hard to watch after seeing a BD though.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:10 am

Do songs have #s in front of their subtitles like on the BD?

insomniac
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby insomniac » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:45 am

It does, it's just there to signify that it's the subs for the song instead of the dialogue. It's not an error. I guess they just don't have the glyph for a musical note or something.

But it's irritating that the subs for the song only shows up when there's no dialogue happening though.

And it appears that the English subs doesn't show up for Scene Noguchi Version and the Omit Scenes. But thankfully, I can read Chinese.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:13 pm

Sorry if I asked this before and I'm just having a brainfart: But does the trailers/promos section of the 2.22 DVD and BD contain that 2.22 Promo video (where "Wings NewCD" is playing)?

Thanks!
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”