Cam(20 minute version) outrages Japanese authorities

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Tab
Lilith

Re: author of the post

•      
  •      

Postby Tab » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:04 pm

toonleap wrote:Hello, I am the writer of the post in Cartoon Leap...

Hey guy. I added your article series to the links on the project page, since you seem to be following the news about it.

toonleap
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby toonleap » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:10 pm

Tab wrote:
toonleap wrote:Hello, I am the writer of the post in Cartoon Leap...

Hey guy. I added your article series to the links on the project page, since you seem to be following the news about it.

Nice, thanks... :)
I follow any Evangelion 2.0 that I can found in Japanese and english blogs and in the official websites of the movie...but I would really like to watch it, like every one else... :grin:

I wonder if I can post your project page in Cartoon Leap? It is awesome that people are translating the movie in such a way.
Evangelion 2.0 rulez!

Tab
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Tab » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:16 pm

toonleap wrote:I wonder if I can post your project page in Cartoon Leap? It is awesome that people are translating the movie in such a way.

Please do, I need help spreading the word as there are very few people working on the translation right now (and most of them are on this forum).

toonleap
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby toonleap » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:19 pm

Tab wrote:
toonleap wrote:I wonder if I can post your project page in Cartoon Leap? It is awesome that people are translating the movie in such a way.

Please do, I need help spreading the word as there are very few people working on the translation right now (and most of them are on this forum).

All right then. I should write a post tonight about it...Thanks.
Good luck on the project. I can hardly wait for it... :wink:
Evangelion 2.0 rulez!

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby schismatics » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:45 pm

Japanese police vs. camripper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_E9vFLw-R0&feature=related

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby master_lloyd » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:25 am

When you watch a camrip for free over the internet, YOU'RE FUNDING TERRORISM!
Neon Genesis Evangelion (from the Greek Ευανγελιον, meaning "Gigantic robots piloted by mentally ill children")
Eva Facts:
-Gendo's final silenced line to Ritsuko was "I'm going to shoot you now."
-Nagisa Kaworu kills a kitten every time you masturbate.
-Kaji's first and last name was Kaji

Adam
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Adam » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:02 am

Actually, you're not only funding terrorism, but you BECOME A TERRORIST YOURSELF!!!
:thumbsup:

IMO this article is just another poor example of "journalism": first the totally inflated head line, and then here:
http://www.cartoonleap.com/2009/07/05/evangelion-2-0-the-first-infamous-cam-version/
it's like someone sitting inside a bus on the highway shouting "Man, look! Look to the right! There's a car accident! LOOK! But don't look! Don't look! It's gross!".
Last edited by Adam on Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

I Accidentally Dracula
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby I Accidentally Dracula » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:44 am

schismatics wrote:Japanese police vs. camripper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_E9vFLw-R0&feature=related

I wasn't aware the Japanese attended their movies in full samurai regalia.

You learn something new every day.

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby schismatics » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:05 am

I Accidentally Dracula"][quote="schismatics wrote:I wasn't aware the Japanese attended their movies in full samurai regalia.

You learn something new every day.

Well the camripper's overall goal was a threat on the police's honor. :thumbsup:

Anyways I'm getting the idea that this article is actually letting more people about the 20min camrip than intended. Oh well.

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby master_lloyd » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:56 am

Adam wrote:Actually, you're not only funding terrorism, but you BECOME A TERRORIST YOURSELF!!!

My God! I never noticed before! No wonder I keep leaving my backpacks on the bus!
Neon Genesis Evangelion (from the Greek Ευανγελιον, meaning "Gigantic robots piloted by mentally ill children")
Eva Facts:
-Gendo's final silenced line to Ritsuko was "I'm going to shoot you now."
-Nagisa Kaworu kills a kitten every time you masturbate.
-Kaji's first and last name was Kaji

Otakon 08 Ikari
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Otakon 08 Ikari » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:45 am

Greg A. gave a long speech on this topic and I agree with him on the illegal versions of Anime and such but I simply have trouble controlling myself. I find myself thinking about it then falling into the aroma of footage I've not seen. Forgive me Greg for I have sinned.
Dr. Trans Old Fashioned Peppermint Dickables

http://pshbling.deviantart.com/gallery/ Go there for Eva cosplay.

toonleap
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby toonleap » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:31 pm

Adam wrote:Actually, you're not only funding terrorism, but you BECOME A TERRORIST YOURSELF!!!

IMO this article is just another poor example of "journalism": first the totally inflated head line, and then here:
http://www.cartoonleap.com/2009/07/05/evangelion-2-0-the-first-infamous-cam-version/
it's like someone sitting inside a bus on the highway shouting "Man, look! Look to the right! There's a car accident! LOOK! But don't look! Don't look! It's gross!".

Well, thanks for your "constructive"criticism. The only thing I do is write about the stuff I like, like Evangelion. I am not a pro in Journalism and it is just an anime blog written by a fan as a hobby...:(...It is VERY easy to criticize.
Last edited by toonleap on Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evangelion 2.0 rulez!

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:56 pm

master_lloyd wrote:When you watch a camrip for free over the internet, YOU'RE FUNDING TERRORISM!
so, al-Qaida is so hard up for cash they've broken into the camrip racket, eh? :wink:
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Timstuff » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:08 pm

Hopefully this gives Japan some incentive to stop screw us over with delays on big releases. Seriously, who the eff is gonna wait a year to see Evangelion 2.0 when it's already out in Japan? Maybe for Evangelion 3.0 / Q, Gainax will consider working with their American distributor earlier in the process to make sure that it releases here in a more timely fashion. There's hardly a snowball's chance that it'd happen, but hey, a guy can dream. It's not like we make them wait that long to get our releases! Even if it was just subtitled pay-per-view on satellite and cable 2 months after the Japanese premier, it'd be better than waiting a year for the DVD to the point where I would not be interested in a camrip, even if a rip were available the day after the theatrical release.
DeviantArt profile being re-invented... Check back later.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:23 pm

It's the American distributor's fault, not Khara/Gainax/NTV. None of those 3 companies deal directly with foreign distribution, it's up to the foreign companies to come to them and negotiate licenses. That's not going to change until they start producing many things that will actively make them money in foreign markets, and so far, the only thing that even comes close is Evangelion, and that's not worth the investment.

OKdesuKA
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby OKdesuKA » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:40 pm

Timstuff wrote:Hopefully this gives Japan some incentive to stop screw us over with delays on big releases. Seriously, who the eff is gonna wait a year to see Evangelion 2.0 when it's already out in Japan? Maybe for Evangelion 3.0 / Q, Gainax will consider working with their American distributor earlier in the process to make sure that it releases here in a more timely fashion. There's hardly a snowball's chance that it'd happen, but hey, a guy can dream. It's not like we make them wait that long to get our releases! Even if it was just subtitled pay-per-view on satellite and cable 2 months after the Japanese premier, it'd be better than waiting a year for the DVD to the point where I would not be interested in a camrip, even if a rip were available the day after the theatrical release.

I am not sure sure they would make us wait that long, I mean they already released a 1080p Blu Ray trailer. This stuff has got to be good to go right?

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Timstuff » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:00 pm

Look at how long Rebuild 1.0 has been out, and we're STILL waiting for the US DVD release (and the 1.11 Blu-Ray is likely another year away). Gainax and Funimation have been genuinely dragging their asses about getting these movies out in the US, which is why there is piracy of them. If they want the piracy to go away, they need to work on shrinking the release gap down to an acceptable size.
DeviantArt profile being re-invented... Check back later.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:52 pm

That acceptable size would have to be "instanteneous", because, even when the DVD comes out, there will be torrents for it and people will download that for free rather than buying a DVD. Putting things out on DVD when you're doing a limited theatre run means that people will just download a copy rather than watch it. The addressing of piracy because of time of release doesn't make sense, because ultimately, an insignificant amount of people downloads a pirated copy of something that doesn't directly cause Gainax/Khara/NTV to lose money. Whereas a release on hard media is a direct loss of money. Will the camrip cause Funimation to lose money? Perhaps some, maybe even a significant amount. Does Funimation losing money cause NTV to lose money? Probably will, in the sense that Funimation won't license, for a large amount of money, a movie that is already running rampant on the internet, so much so that there's no way Funimation can recoup the licensing costs.

Like all the discussions of piracy and anime that happened a while back in the OT subfroum, the only real solution is to have instanteneous online releases, where people can pay a little bit of money and download a legal copy, at the same time, directly working with foreign distributors to get localization happening near instantenously, and have those released online for a small fee. Releasing a movie on DVD sooner than later doesn't solve the problem.

Adam
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Adam » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:12 pm

toonleap wrote:Well, thanks for your "constructive"criticism. The only thing I do is write about the stuff I like, like Evangelion. I am not a pro in Journalism and it is just an anime blog written by a fan as a hobby...:(...It is VERY easy to criticize.

I'm not a pro in journalism either, but these are simple things everyone should understand IMO. I mean, certain things which are stated in the article are just made-up speculations bases on...nothing at all but someone's fantasy (authorities mad etc). What if some people read it and, take it for granted that this stays true to the original Japanese source and "spread the word"? It's just unnecessary...
Yes, it is easy to critizise. What I wrote is only my personal opinion and you can either accept it and maybe "learn" from it if you think I made a legit point, or just ignore it.

About the other issue, why tell people NOT to watch the thing? Is this your responsibility or what? If you don't like it then you should just ignore it IMO. But writing about it and making people, who may not have known about it before, interested in it in the first place, and then telling people to ignore it is hardly the right way to handle something like this.
Honestly, watching some camrip will hardy hurt the movie itself. I'll be going to Japan in a few weeks and will watch the movie half a dozen times (=pay money), no matter whether I watched the camrip or not. The camrip actually made me wanna watch it even more. The quality is just good enough to see what's happening, but that's it. And this will hardly end in the guys in Japan making less money or something. I mean, it's illegal and whatsoever, but the camrip exists. And I can't see any reason why NOT to watch it, as there is no damage involved to anybody. Okay, enough.
:wink:

toonleap
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby toonleap » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:42 pm

Adam wrote:
toonleap wrote:Well, thanks for your "constructive"criticism. The only thing I do is write about the stuff I like, like Evangelion. I am not a pro in Journalism and it is just an anime blog written by a fan as a hobby...:(...It is VERY easy to criticize.

I'm not a pro in journalism either, but these are simple things everyone should understand IMO. I mean, certain things which are stated in the article are just made-up speculations bases on...nothing at all but someone's fantasy (authorities mad etc). What if some people read it and, take it for granted that this stays true to the original Japanese source and "spread the word"? It's just unnecessary...
Yes, it is easy to critizise. What I wrote is only my personal opinion and you can either accept it and maybe "learn" from it if you think I made a legit point, or just ignore it.

About the other issue, why tell people NOT to watch the thing? Is this your responsibility or what? If you don't like it then you should just ignore it IMO. But writing about it and making people, who may not have known about it before, interested in it in the first place, and then telling people to ignore it is hardly the right way to handle something like this.
Honestly, watching some camrip will hardy hurt the movie itself. I'll be going to Japan in a few weeks and will watch the movie half a dozen times (=pay money), no matter whether I watched the camrip or not. The camrip actually made me wanna watch it even more. The quality is just good enough to see what's happening, but that's it. And this will hardly end in the guys in Japan making less money or something. I mean, it's illegal and whatsoever, but the camrip exists. And I can't see any reason why NOT to watch it, as there is no damage involved to anybody. Okay, enough.
:wink:

Probably the whole point about it is that watching a camrip takes out the excitement once the official release is out. Probably I used the wrong words to express the point.
Evangelion 2.0 rulez!

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”