Rebuild of Evangelion 2.0 SPOILERS Discussion

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Action_Bastard » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:34 pm

Anyway, lets discuss REBUILD 2.0!!! And stop whining about how its not like the series.....Oh my, can we do that?

BTW, there is a tread specifically for Rebuild likes/dislikes: [url]http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=6969[/url]

SO yeah, about 3rd Impact at the end. It was eerie, made me think of EoE during the Komme Susser Tod sequence. And the blackhole, I actually like that better than the Black Moon.
REBUILD ≠ SERIES! GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK F***ING SKULLS!! :fistshake:
MyAnimeList

Otakon 08 Ikari
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Otakon 08 Ikari » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:59 pm

There was a black hole, I did not notice. It was crazy though!

yay for manly Shinji ^_^
Dr. Trans Old Fashioned Peppermint Dickables

http://pshbling.deviantart.com/gallery/ Go there for Eva cosplay.

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby schismatics » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:17 pm

Seeing Kaworu inside an Eva looked pretty odd in my opinion. ^_^

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

Postby The Goose » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:34 pm

Yeah, it seemed if the video monitors looked oddly shaped.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:37 pm

I noticed the odd monitors too.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Synapsid
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Synapsid » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:58 pm

LiLi wrote:I like Mari. She's been growing on me... :)
She called him NERV no wanko-kun! xD
Oh, so Mari used the onomonopeic term, I guess it kind of fits in with what we've seen of her? And yes, she isn't that bad as far as role hogging goes, and dropping in to molest Puppy-can isn't something I can ever frown on.

Puppy-kun wrote:Salary... you mean, that coffee can from earlier? *sigh* Ah... And you said it was a date... I thought you were a more honest person.

LiLi wrote:I get the feeling Shin-chan was being unusually... flirtatious there? :leekspin:
I guess so, Shin-chan realy is a needy Puppy and he wants affection, perhaps he shouldn't have screamed or complained about it being boyxboy then he might have gotten more.
Gendo'sPapa wrote:1. I feel Anno did his Eva FanFic in 1997- it was called END OF EVANGELION.
2. REBUILD is Anno having fun with his universe and giving the fans what they want. Big epic action with versions of their favorite characters. To me one of the nicest things is this whole endeavor renders a Live Action Eva pretty pointless.
I don't quite agree with either of those statements, EOE was quite a fitting end to what we had seen with the descent, Anno took quite a bit of flack for defying film conventions and producing a ending that was neither concrete nor "happy" instead we were given one of the most realistic human stories in a completely surreal manner (while picking apart genre stereotypes, and the human mind) the ending isn't quite concrete, but left to the viewer...and possibly as an opening for revisiting EVA when he felt ready... Rebuild probably isn't just Anno catering to the fans or having fun, he's had ten years to think of what he wanted and likely has something planed that will tie loose ends to the show, and or complete elements from the proposal and later that he was never able to do.
Mr. Tines wrote:
Axell wrote:action arc= action movie..........
We're well into the "shit's going down" arc by the time Zeruel shows.
It's true that Leliel, started the process in which Shinji was systematically picked apart, and the descent itself hasn’t happened (yet) but that path has already been taken, the Action tone seems to have been mostly for 2.0 and probably is limited to its phase.
Mr. Tines wrote:Except that this is exactly the sort of stuff that NGE made its reputation by subverting.
Yes, I suppose so, but they did stuff like that during the action arc only to turn it on its head later, I don't doubt that Shinji's rather typical romance with Rei, and Mari’s character have simply been given expositions so they can be dealt with later... It's true that it might be wishful thinking on my part but by what I've seen there is a design: outsiders like Mari were just that, outsiders: she was mostly an observer to EVA outside of molesting Puppy-kun, and intervening, I don't doubt that why she exists, and how she acts will be addressed, I don't think her presence was just gratuitous... and she isn't there to take over for Sohryu.

To be honest, when I first heard of the changed script and Asuka's "death" my stomach dropped, the idea of killing what would be one of the best written EVA characters(Sohryu) over an empty reason did sound insane... but it turns out Mari wasn’t as big, she's not dead, and there is most certainly significance to her EOE patch and retroPlugsuit...Anno will address Sohryu in one form or another.
So far it’s only midway and Anno doesn’t twist things till the end, but there already are allusions to EOE, I don’t doubt that there’ll be more than what we see from the current surface.
...but yes if I'm wrong, and they keep on the high adventure theme, and fail to deal with Asuka then I don't doubt I'll vomit ... I really wish I had Anno’s scripts for 3/4
Ursus wrote:Lilin+...Special Lilin species? Quickened?
That sounds like a possibility, I guess Shin-chan really become some sort of angel of death,(besides the metaphorical)...And Asuka’s contamination may well have similar effects…or perhaps it’s some way to tie into what happened.

Sailor Star Dust wrote:the Yamshita movie with Werewolf Asuka, I think it was) ...
Um, I’ve heard about it having been one of the old ideas but I haven’t seen any of the sources or details. Were they really going to make her a werewolf or was it just metaphorical...and was it ever played in detail or was it just an abandoned concept like the idea of making Shinji a girl?
Sailor Star Dust wrote:"What Shinji SHOULD have been doing instead of being absorbed" scenario. ..Unless he was actually absorbed like in the series but they didn't spell it out??
Um, yes I think it kind of is another view at Eva, not a TTGL mashup.

Otakon 08 Ikari wrote:yay for manly Shinji
Arg, no we've (LiLi)said it before , being emotionaly intact and helping your loved ones isn't "manly" in itself >_< ...besides he acted the same in 19 only it was Kaji that gave him the push.

If they do realy make him manly then the canary's dead.
It's a trap!|Saigo no shisha seitenkan
Genderbending is an important part of any fandom and must be taken very seriously. ZapalacX
If you ever say that name again, I will hunt you down and neuter you with a spork. Sailor Star Dust *cue Shinji's bloodcurling girly scream* LiLi
leave my innocent Shinjiko thread alone! Reichu Asuka would be the one going "SURPRISE BUTTSEKS, BAKA!!!!" while of course in appropriate dress and, *cough, gulp, snort*, with a certain strapped on accessory THE Hal E. Burton 9000

STELLALUNA
Embryo

Postby STELLALUNA » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:22 pm

Little things I noticed on the camrip:

- Toji protects Hikari from the blast of missiles on Zer. Shipping fodder?

- Mari's pink plug suit has a 5 on the back. Does NERV have extra plug suits lying around for everybody?

- Aoba's hair is 50% more silky and shiny in Rebuild.

- Skin flaking aside.... Now where have I seen that before? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS3zXrWn5rQ
[Skip ahead to 3:50 - SPOILERS for Shojo Kakumei Utena]

Thanks to those who worked hard to provide this for us.
EVANGELION: Where self-destruct mechanisms actually work.

Synapsid
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Synapsid » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:38 pm

STELLALUNA wrote:
- Mari's pink plug suit has a 5 on the back. Does NERV have extra plug suits lying around for everybody?
Um, I guess she must have had it in a knapsack, and doesn't 05 die?

STELLALUNA wrote:- Skin flaking aside.... Now where have I seen that before? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS3zXrWn5rQ
[Skip ahead to 3:50 - SPOILERS for Shojo Kakumei Utena]

Thanks to those who worked hard to provide this for us.
Oh, you're completely right ^_^ I guess Anno might have been making a reference to Utena (wasn't it Eva's contemporary?) or perhaps Shinji's the reincarnation of Utena?
It's a trap!|Saigo no shisha seitenkan
Genderbending is an important part of any fandom and must be taken very seriously. ZapalacX
If you ever say that name again, I will hunt you down and neuter you with a spork. Sailor Star Dust *cue Shinji's bloodcurling girly scream* LiLi
leave my innocent Shinjiko thread alone! Reichu Asuka would be the one going "SURPRISE BUTTSEKS, BAKA!!!!" while of course in appropriate dress and, *cough, gulp, snort*, with a certain strapped on accessory THE Hal E. Burton 9000

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby schismatics » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:53 pm

Also - everyone's starting to look like FLCL characters now... :grmf:

Evayo
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Evayo » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:57 pm

schismatics wrote:Also - everyone's starting to look like FLCL characters now... :grmf:

That's actually a plus for me.

Otakon 08 Ikari
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Otakon 08 Ikari » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:58 pm

Finally, I can go to Cons without everybody hating me ^__^

I don't know what to think, the love and I both were amazed by it! Eva 02 was a little crazy but dang. I don't want it to go TO much TTGL with Shinji going manly but a little back bone never hurt anyone, other then Zer.

So...Mari puts in a password and it kicks in a turbo boost for 02 or beast mode. That is not enough to destroy the Angel so Rei tries the good old N2 which again does nothing but burn poor 00 and get her eaten. Shinji sees this and takes up the fight. Like the show, 01 runs out of power and starts to get beat up BUT this time instead of Yui taken control, Shinji does what I can only label as what Asuka did in EOE. Get pissed off enough and Eva will follow. It does not take the arm of Zer, rather grows its own like the battle with Sachiel. Using the power of the newly grown arm, it uses the ATF like a sort of Shotgun and blast Zer back which looked amazing btw. It then uses its Lasssser eyes which..I do not really like cause I mean since when did Eva 01 have laser eyes and where in the Lilim hand book of super powers does it mention "laser eyes"?

Instead of eating the S2 organ which I thought was important for other parts to happen, he tears directly into Zers S2 core/soul and gets Rei back. By doing this, it starts an impact of the joining souls and shit goes nuts. Eva 01 looks like some sort of super angel or FAR. Everything starts spinning around like a sort of black hole and we go to credits then Kaworu jumps in and says some sexy words that I can't understand but I assume its something along the lines of "Na a a you didn't say the magic word"

I need to think more on the whole thing...

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby schismatics » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:00 pm

Evayo wrote:
schismatics wrote:Also - everyone's starting to look like FLCL characters now... :grmf:

That's actually a plus for me.

To each their own I guess...it doesn't really bother me...it's just kinda distracting.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:11 pm

I'm confused. Only the 20 mins are available, right?

evilhead008
Adam

Postby evilhead008 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:19 pm

^ I hope you're wrong, but all the camrips I found were ~20-30 minutes long.

They're trashing Evas pretty quickly, aren't they? 00, 02, 03, 04, and 05 are all dead, and that's only 1 movie.

.. what IS beast mode? Was it really a "controlled berserk" mode? What was all the black stuff around Shinji and Mari when they did it?

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:24 pm

evilhead008 wrote:^ I hope you're wrong, but all the camrips I found were ~20-30 minutes long.
Are they different parts of the movie?

Otakon 08 Ikari
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Otakon 08 Ikari » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:25 pm

NAveryW wrote:
evilhead008 wrote:^ I hope you're wrong, but all the camrips I found were ~20-30 minutes long.
Are they different parts of the movie?

I only got the part where they fight Zer. If there is more, please tell me
~ I mean us ^_^; ~

Senel17
Embryo

Postby Senel17 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:27 pm

they're pretty much 20-30 mins of the last half of the movie. The most beautiful 20-30 mins. of my life.
"Don't look back, for you are turning away from the truth!"

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

Postby The Goose » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:20 pm

- Toji protects Hikari from the blast of missiles on Zer. Shipping fodder?

I liked that part. Not for Touji protecting Hikari, but the crowd scenes. I really like how Rebuild is focusing on the civilians and how the Angels affect them. It makes the viewer feel the destruction the Angel causes and the hope that the Evas save the civilians.

Koichimaru
Embryo

Wow....

Postby Koichimaru » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:48 pm

Just watched the last 20-30 minutes. Wow. Just, WOW. I was thoroughly impressed by Zeruel, Mari (heeheehee, I think she's my favorite, now), and the music (Shiro Sagisu is a wonderful composer).

One thing I was wondering about, though: Did it seem that Zeruel's AT field somewhat mimicked Ramiel's defense shape (err...the one that had a completely flat side facing the attack)?
When I can finally watch Evangelion 2.0 in its entirety, I think I will need a change of pants. <-I did, too. Twice.

Koichimaru
Embryo

Sahaquiel

Postby Koichimaru » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:11 am

Oh, uh, by the way...

<.<
>.>

(Psst, hey, does anyone have a download link to the Sahaquiel Battle? A certain tube removed it.)
When I can finally watch Evangelion 2.0 in its entirety, I think I will need a change of pants. <-I did, too. Twice.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”