Rebuild of Evangelion 2.0 SPOILERS Discussion

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:42 pm

Axell wrote:action arc= action movie..........
We're well into the "shit's going down" arc by the time Zeruel shows.

NyxOne wrote:EoE didn't have enough 'whizzbangs and explosions' for you, Tines?
Well, there was a series of bangs that I could have done without there as well.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby Axell » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:46 pm

its not as if character development and mindfucks have been taken away

are you just not happy with the changes made so far?

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:49 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:
NyxOne wrote:EoE didn't have enough 'whizzbangs and explosions' for you, Tines?
Well, there was a series of bangs that I could have done without there as well.

Thank Anno that your opinion doesn't control releases. If EOE never came out, I'd never realize how much my mind or mental state could take.

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Action_Bastard » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:50 pm

AHEM!... Can we all get along again....vv

And an admin is even getting in on it...for shame.
Last edited by Action_Bastard on Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
REBUILD ≠ SERIES! GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK F***ING SKULLS!! :fistshake:
MyAnimeList

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:54 pm

Axell wrote:are you just not happy with the changes made so far?
No, I'm not. It bears as much relationship to NGE as
SPOILER: Show
RahXephon, or Eureka 7, or TTGL
, and should really be called something else than Evangelion.

ATM I'm just happy that I never got into Eureka Seven, as there'd be two rage inducing movies to contend with.

backseatjesus wrote:If EOE never came out, I'd never realize how much my mind or mental state could take.
I'm not saying that -- just that putting the "Omedetou" ending after

Shinji:
But that's just pretending - a self-intoxicating belief... like a prayer.
It can't possibly last forever.
Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me.
Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real.

would have made a more palatable end.
Last edited by Mr. Tines on Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Ingraman
Lilith

Postby Ingraman » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:56 pm

If the download link from Youtube doesn't work, DELETED, SEE THE RULES

NyxOne
Embryo

Postby NyxOne » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:58 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:

...Because it has a few more explosions than usual and because it focuses on relationships?

Now I'm honestly thinking you're over-reacting.

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby Axell » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:01 pm

i do agree that some of the changes are strange and impact the series a lot, but as it hasnt ended yet, we dont know how they will pay out in the end.

Asuka in 03 makes me question if anno forgot how evas work, but we still dont know all the details

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Jinroh » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:13 pm

Axell wrote:
Asuka in 03 makes me question if anno forgot how evas work, but we still dont know all the details

I think you're being a little bit presomptuous if you think anno "forgot how evas work". That's his decision, and he's the one who makes it work this way or not.

As I said in another thread, those movies are not the old series. You can throw away all the theories, ideas and facts based on the first series. It's just not valid for rebuild. It "looks" the same, but the substance is different.

And on the contrary of some (or one) people, I like it the way it is. If it was just the same business all over again, it would be pathetic and pointless. We need something different, and people will always bitch about changes anyway, whatever those changes are.
Last edited by Jinroh on Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Evayo
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Evayo » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:23 pm

Heh heh... is it a bad time for me to say I like this version better than the original series? ^_^

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:28 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:

I think the problem is Anno can't really let the whole Evangelion franchise go. It has become his baby and he doesn't want his baby to die. He doesn't want to let characters that he loves die off. He's trying to milk it in the best way he can and I think he is accomplishing it. To me, Rebuild isn't coming off as stale or pointless. To me it's new and exciting, but familiar. The fans are obviously gonna be divided over this and Anno realizes that. I mean, this guy has gotten death threats over shit like this. He's used to it.

Sammaeloo
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby Sammaeloo » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:57 pm

I enjoy it because its a good fun movie. Its a version of Evangelion, but the Evangelion. Just a good exciting anime movie series and in my opinion, people shouldn't get worked up over it. Its not a remake of the series, so its not like Anno is saying this is the way he originally wanted it. Just an alternate story for some fun.
Seize the day.....by the throat....
I hate mcdonalds because their mascot is a creepy spooky clown who looks like he smells funny. Seriously every time I see ronald I think he's secretly some sort of rapist who turns people into hamburgers. Also their food sucks. -Defectron
Our plumbing is messed up and my dad will not call anybody because he's a cheap asshole. Fuck you old man, fucking call someone. Some of us want to stay sanitary. -backseatjesus

RockManBalls
Lilith

Postby RockManBalls » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:11 pm

My personal feeling is that when someone has made something special that I'm a big fan of, and then suddenly decides to re-imagine it, I really can't complain. It's what most fans hope for and it certainly doesn't happen very often. TV series Eva will always be something special, but Rebuild is just... the bee's knees. If Eva changed anime for the past 10-12 years, rebuild will probably change it for another generation.

The only reservation I have now is what I know the final film will be: A massive plot-dump. Hardly anything has been explained and nearly zero back-story has been given. What about Gendo's past, Fuyutsuki's relationship to Yui, Adam, Lilith, Ritsuko's mother and the MAGI, Asuka's tragic past... The list goes on. Had I not known Eva before, I would have no idea wtf is going on by the end of 2.0.

3.0 + 4.0 will probably be close to two hours long, but that doesn't seem like enough time. One angel battle took nearly 30 minutes people.

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Jinroh » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:17 pm

RockManBalls wrote:What about Gendo's past, Fuyutsuki's relationship to Yui, Adam, Lilith, Ritsuko's mother and the MAGI, Asuka's tragic past... The list goes on.

Yes, but again, you are refering to the first series. Maybe those elements just don't have any importance/didn't happen in rebuild.

I know it's hard to watch rebuild without thinking about Evangelion, but well. I think that it corrupts our understanding of rebuild.

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Lucretius » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:38 pm

RockManBalls wrote: What about Gendo's past, Fuyutsuki's relationship to Yui, Adam, Lilith, Ritsuko's mother and the MAGI, Asuka's tragic past... The list goes on. Had I not known Eva before, I would have no idea wtf is going on by the end of 2.0.

Naoko probably won't be in the movies at all, the Reiquarium won't exist (although there will still be Rei clones, alive simultaneously), Asuka will probably just narrate her past directly, Gendo's relationship with Yui can be dealt with by means of a brief monologue from Gendo...and Adam and Lilith require no explanation.

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Proud supporter of Shinji x Sachiel

Ramiel²
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby Ramiel² » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:48 pm

Just saw the Rip.

Oh my fucking god.

i think waiting for this masterpiece will be very painfull..
Mother fucking painfull.
And i allready want to see the next ..

So awesome..
i`m speechless...

Edit:

Something made me think they "stole" some elements of EoE ,but i can`t quite remember what made me think so, have to watch it again maybe i figure it out.

BattleMonkey
Leliel
Leliel

Postby BattleMonkey » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:55 pm

What did some people expect out of Rebuild? Just a condensed version of the series with some minor changes ala manga?

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Legendary » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:57 pm

They expected Rebuild to fix all of the flaws THEY found in the series but not do anything else...

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:09 pm

BattleMonkey wrote:a condensed version of the series with some minor changes ala manga?
Before 1.0 came out, same story, but with a different choice of scenes to emphasise. After 1.0 and the 2.0 preview, all the uprating that happened to Ramiel pissed away on a divergence into the Pit of Voles.

JimmyWolk
Ireul
Ireul

Postby JimmyWolk » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:15 pm

BattleMonkey wrote:What did some people expect out of Rebuild? Just a condensed version of the series with some minor changes ala manga?
Funny how those changes are "minor" now. :P

I would have preferred if it hadn't been a remake/-imagining at all. The initial rumors of the movies being prequel/midseries/sequel+new ending sounded more interesting to me.

Yes, some take the changes worse than others and I'm not quite sure where I would be on that scale, but... it's getting a bit ugly at the moment. So if you're fine with "this" Eva, then be it.
But really, is it that hard to understand that if you like something that it bothers you if it gets changed to something so unlike to what you liked, especially if what gets changed are mostly the very things that made you like it in the first place?

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”