Eva 1.0's North American Release to Mimic Japan's

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Eva 1.0's North American Release to Mimic Japan's

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:32 pm

Just saw this on ANN.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-07-03/eva-1.0-in-n-american-theaters-eva-1.01-on-dvd-in-fall

So for those who want to save money DON'T buy the cut of the film that will hit shelves late this Fall but wait till Spring 2010 to get Evangelion 1.11

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:37 pm

I'm going to kill them all for this.

BattleMonkey
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby BattleMonkey » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:42 pm

Wonder how accurate this is, it's pretty stupid of them to announce this information, just gonna kill the sales of 1.01 dvd's.

Evayo
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Evayo » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:42 pm

*sneaks back into forums*
I've already got 1.11 on my compy... So I can wait for the dub's release. ^_^

Sammaeloo
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Sammaeloo » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:49 pm

Are there any big differences between 1.01 and 1.11 or are they just in video quality.
Seize the day.....by the throat....
I hate mcdonalds because their mascot is a creepy spooky clown who looks like he smells funny. Seriously every time I see ronald I think he's secretly some sort of rapist who turns people into hamburgers. Also their food sucks. -Defectron
Our plumbing is messed up and my dad will not call anybody because he's a cheap asshole. Fuck you old man, fucking call someone. Some of us want to stay sanitary. -backseatjesus

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:52 pm

Very cool, I just might buy an 1.11 release stateside then. > I'm REALLY wondering if in the states we'd get BOTH takes of the Next Time 2.0 preview with some release then. That'd be nice but if not then would a Japanese four film boxset guarantee both versions of the preview or what?

Anyway, I'm glad to hear Funimation got this, I just REALLY hope they aren't a disappointing company in terms of releases/quality like ADV or Mangle can be. >_>;
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:57 pm

There's about 2 extra minutes of footage added to the first act of the film. Nothing really AWE-stounding but in my opinion they help fix the pacing of the scenes before Shinji gets in the Eva (the only part in 1.0 that I felt was too rushed). The image quality is better and they're are a few little image additions here and there - more Angel rainbows.

-I'd say if you really want to see the film dubbed, Netflix 1.01 this Fall. Netflix is cheap and great so any "I don't have it" gets Zero Sympathy. As an aside, I can't imagine the Funimation DVD's having any impressive or in-depth special features, the Japanese versions sure didn't and a feature on how they cast the English dub would mean nothing to me. The most valid extra you could hope for is the new "Enhanced TV Version" of the old 2.0 preview.

-On the other hand I'm glad they mention this now instead of waiting till the day AFTER 1.01 hit shelves to say 1.11 was coming in another few months. And hopefully Funimation will replicate this process with the next films only much quicker.

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:50 pm

:argh:

I'm going to throwup. Then i'm gonna mail it Funimation

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:03 pm

BattleMonkey wrote:it's pretty stupid of them to announce this information, just gonna kill the sales of 1.01 dvd's.

Or maybe they're trying to be open with the fans. I don't see the need for two releases. Why can't they just do one? Or better yet, why couldn't they release a sub only ahead of time?

Ugh.

*Starts making room on his Eva shelf for two more DVDs*

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Timstuff » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:06 pm

This sucks big time. Oh well, if I have the money I might buy the crappy DVD, and then get the good version on Blu-Ray later. This is lamesauce though.
DeviantArt profile being re-invented... Check back later.

Lagann
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Lagann » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:41 pm

I only have the dvd version of 1.11 because i didnt feel like buying something so exspensive that wasnt subbed so I probably will be buying the Funimation blu ray.But I might just buy both versions to support them for at least doing this.If they sell well enough maybe thell release more Eva stuff.

Orphan Of Darkness
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Orphan Of Darkness » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:21 am

Yeah I'll just be seeing it theatres in September then chillaxing till the 1.11 comes out.

I got pissed off when better versions of movies I liked started coming out AFTER I bought the original releases so I stopping buying movies almost entirely. Kudos to them for announcing it tho at least.
EvanGelion:GLIA @A fanfiction project in progress. ~Updated-Mar 15th/2011~ |DeviantArt

-
"Make good use of this money, Rei. I

Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 04 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:28 am

Meh.I dont really care about these newer versions of movies that comes out right after another.I'll be getting the one released in fall and that's it.I just dont feel like waiting for a supposed new version.Just a waste of time I think.

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:48 am

Depending on the features, which I doubt will be any real deciding factor actually, I'll just wait for 1.11. I still need to get a blu-ray player, but I've always seen that as an inevitability.

Funny, how I always see you old-school fans complaining about constant re-releases. It's never effected me, cause I was introduced to Eva on [as] and I just bought the platinum thin-packs cause they were cheap.

But now that I'm anticipating more re-cuts of 1.0 and the rest of rebuild, I can finally catch up with all the re-release BS. :money:
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:24 pm

figures :rolleyes:
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby schismatics » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:08 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:
BattleMonkey wrote:it's pretty stupid of them to announce this information, just gonna kill the sales of 1.01 dvd's.

*Starts making room on his Eva shelf for two more DVDs*

This.

Atleast I can then show off my Eva nerd-dom to anybody who glances at my DVD shelf...

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:22 am

Only bit of interest in this news blurb is Funimation saying they DON'T have a license for Eva 2.0 yet.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-07-04/funimation-to-release-sengoku-basara

iamsolidsnake
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby iamsolidsnake » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:53 pm

I was about to say " Nah son, I'ma buy the sh** outta both these dvds. Then I realized, if I go see it in movies theaters, I can just act like the pirate I am and watch the dub stream or t-rent that bitch. hell, I passed on the slim release of Sin City, why make this any different when I can use the glory of piracy for quality control? The internet is the civilized world's darwin control. Only the strong survive. Crappy product = crappy reception. Its the leverage for substantial material. I love it.

Gendo'sPapa wrote:Only bit of interest in this news blurb is Funimation saying they DON'T have a license for Eva 2.0 yet.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-07-04/funimation-to-release-sengoku-basara

God damn it.
Just Don't Say Goodbye... It's too sad!

Nerv's 7th Branch:
Temporary Excavation Base.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:29 am

Gendo'sPapa wrote:Only bit of interest in this news blurb is Funimation saying they DON'T have a license for Eva 2.0 yet.

mwahahahaha, does this mean that ADV could magically come back into the picture? :stir: :evillaugh:

srsly though, my guess is they're just haggling over price, maybe having it "shopped" at Mangle just for show
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:37 am

ADV, despite whatever lies Matt Greenfield will lazily struggle to bring up, is bankrupt. I'd say charging $30 for 3 episodes a disc in this Internet/Torrent age could do it.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”