Songs & BGM For Rebuild

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
thedarkorb
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby thedarkorb » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:24 pm

Though I would update this thread as the release date for 2.0 draws near.

So what are we expecting from Mr. Sagisu this time? I hope some nice new stuff. :) And a re-build of "Borderline Case".

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:37 pm

thedarkorb wrote:So what are we expecting from Mr. Sagisu this time?

(1) Version of "Asuka STRIKES!" that sounds maybe a little less "square dance" and more, er, "dignified".

(2) New version of "EVA-02", rearranged for a more cinematic feel.

(3) Version of the one from the Sahaquiel sprint with the grotesquely long name, that will sound almost exactly the same as the original.

(4) Version of "HARBINGER OF TRAGEDY" that will sound almost exactly the same as the original.

(5) "THE BEAST II", rearranged with a cheesy English chorus. (Although that definitely couldn't hurt an amped-up version of the munchies scene.)

(6) Instrumental rearrangement of "Fly Me To The Moon" #3276.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:47 pm

Reichu wrote:(1) Version of "Asuka STRIKES!" that sounds maybe a little less "square dance" and more, er, "dignified".

We already have that version in 1.0, we're probably going to get that same piece, albeit longer. I think that guitar was a nice touch.

I think that's a fair assessment, although I also think we'll possibly get a new theme that's meant to be for Mari or something.

Also, I have a hunch that either one of those new Yoko Takahashi songs will be 2.0's end theme, or maybe even that song by Hayashibara used in that pachinko take of Yashima. Time will tell I guess.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:06 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:We already have that version in 1.0, we're probably going to get that same piece, albeit longer.

I haven't heard it in a long time. Is it really "dignified"?

I also think we'll possibly get a new theme that's meant to be for Mari or something.

:glances nervously at her previous post: Geepers... I actually did put that one in, complete with a snarky bit about how Sagisu would plagiarize it from another composer's work, but I guess the gremlins ate it.

either one of those new Yoko Takahashi songs

Which songs?

The new theme song is probably going to be something we haven't heard about yet. (And probably more Utada.) That only makes sense, right?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:06 pm

Even more awesomer Normal Blood!

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:10 pm

Reichu: There was that 2009 version of the OP theme and I think at least 1 or 2 new songs from Yoko, yeah.

universalperson
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby universalperson » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:11 pm

Where's the Cruel Angel's Thesis remix?
Avatar courtesy of RetroRainbow, and the Eva art book.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:42 pm

There was an extremely crappily-recorded 2009 version on Youtube I think, but the quality's so poor it's best to wait for the real thing to be released. (At least, I hope that was a problem of the recording and the actual song doesn't sound that way.)

Anyway, here's a compare and contrast of Asuka's theme:

Asuka Strikes!, from the series: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5roqbNkvIc

Rebuild's take on the theme, although it's shorter: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?kh2myazdmrz (This is only 50 seconds long, I doubt Gainax*Khara would be on my ass for giving this out for comparison purposes.) Like I said before, I really think the use of a guitar is a nice touch. Also it's nice how they got rid of the "country" feel from the original (but it did a good job of showing how Asuka's a foreigner and all).

I'm guessing for 2.0 we'll get the exact same piece used in 1.0, but it would probably be longer at least.

JimmyWolk
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby JimmyWolk » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:39 pm

I much rather hope they give her a proper theme this time (be it completely new or a BGM variant). "Less country" or not, it only really fits slapstick scenes, and as much as I like those, Asuka deserves a more character- rather than situation related theme.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:46 pm

Yeah the "hillbilly jingle" used to introduce Asuka is downright weird in the scheme of things.

It's a girl who speaks Japanese but was raised in Germany (neither of which has a real "Western Country") and she's introduced with a tune from deep in the heart of Texas.

I hope we might be introduced to Asuka in their Eva first doing some kickass piloting so we can see she's really good.

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:25 pm

shes part american too remember. not that i'm defending that theme, i never cared for it. even 02's theme is meh for me

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:56 pm

Axell wrote:shes part american too remember.
the problem with that statement is what does that mean?

is she a US citizen/legal resident, or is this distinction solely because of her American father Langley? what is it, exactly?
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:40 pm

woops that silly thing slipped my mind. Maybe in 2015 americans can be distinguished ethnically :shrug:

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:29 am

They seem to use it in an ethnic context. Technically, there is the Native American ethnicity, but that's all wrong. Nor would 15 years of hell be enough to distinguish a new ethnicity, especially in a cultural crossroads like America.

Citizenship doesn't work either; she was born in Japan, moved to Germany, came back. Maybe she was born on a military base and got American citizenship, but it seems unlikely.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:26 am

Axell wrote:Even more awesomer Normal Blood!

When I said, "HARBINGER OF TRAGEDY", what I really meant was this. ^

For those who dislike "Asuka STRIKES!" as an actual Asuka theme... The piece "BACKGROUND MUSIC" was originally intended to be Asuka's theme, so maybe they can just use a new version of that instead. :hahaha:

A couple of others:

- New version of "THANATOS" that will sound almost exactly the same as the original.

- New version of "MARKING TIME, WAITING FOR DEATH" for Shinji going batshit crazy against Zeruel. To make this version much more "impressive" than the one used in the Shamshel fight, there will probably be a cheesy English chorus.

I wonder if we're going to have to hear "ANGEL ATTACK" and "SPENDING TIME IN PREPARATION" four more times each...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

thedarkorb
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby thedarkorb » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:32 am

"Asuka Strikes" wasn't even originally her theme...I think it was something else. Don't remember what. Kinda like how "I, Shinji" was supposed to be the Angel's theme. Considering THAT was replaced, because it was not the original intended theme, there is a chance she might get a whole new theme.

EDIT: ^ Reichu: I was typing this as you posted. :P

"EVA-02" is a very strong piece of music. I bet the a more ballsy orchestral re-build would sound really great.

Wait so Mrs. Takahashi recorded a 2009 mix? I thought she did that a few years ago. Is this something different? I hope she doesn't touch the Rebuild series, because her original vocals are just too ingrained in the original. I hope they get Utada to do a new song, then possibly remake another song for the end credits. Maybe CAT?

thedarkorb
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby thedarkorb » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:39 am

Reichu wrote: "MARKING TIME, WAITING FOR DEATH"

Hopefully that will be replaced with a new track. That's probably going to be the climax scene of the movie so one would think he'll write a new high octane track similar to the one written for the 1.0 climax.

"SPENDING TIME IN PREPARATION" four more times each...

STIP/DB and Hedgehog's Dilemma tracks where the running themes in 1.0 and where heard quite a bit. I would hope they will re-make and establish two new ones. I do get the joke though. :)

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:43 am

I'm curious to see what new awesome epic tunes Shiro is gonna write. You know, the epic ones he used in 1.0 that sound incredibly wonderful at first until you listen to the Engrish in them. Then you just have to accept it's wicked awesome music that just happens to have a chorus singing wonky lyrics.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:57 am

thedarkorb wrote:Hopefully that will be replaced with a new track. That's probably going to be the climax scene of the movie so one would think he'll write a new high octane track similar to the one written for the 1.0 climax.

The entry "Predation" is on the poster, so presumably the climax of the movie is going to be Eva-01 having a hearty meal. I would also cry if that scene has something other than "THE BEAST II" accompanying it.

Gendo'sPapa wrote:You know, the epic ones he used in 1.0 that sound incredibly wonderful at first until you listen to the Engrish in them. Then you just have to accept it's wicked awesome music that just happens to have a chorus singing wonky lyrics.

The two tracks made for EoE ("Escape to the Beginning" and the unfinished one based on Borderline Case) suffer from the same problem. Really cool songs, but... ugh, somebody do something about those lyrics! "BORN EVIL, GIANT SINNER..."

They should just use Latin. Or maybe Hebrew. Or just make like Kanno and use total nonsense.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

thedarkorb
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby thedarkorb » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:16 am

Reichu wrote:I would also cry if that scene has something other than "THE BEAST II" accompanying it.

Oh I hope they don't replace that piece. I was referring to the track playing as Shinji is beating the Angel to a pulp before hand/saving Misato. That whole section is VERY stirring to me so I think placing a nice epic track there would be wonderful.

Gendo'sPapa wrote:music that just happens to have a chorus singing wonky lyrics.

Really cool songs, but... ugh, somebody do something about those lyrics! "BORN EVIL, GIANT SINNER..."

Or just make like Kanno and use total nonsense.

I think a lot of the ones who are bashing the English inspired tracks on the EVA-01 need to know something.

It's not about WHAT you say in music. It's about HOW you say it. This is why Yoko Kanno uses jibberish, because what you say is irrelevant. The only reason the lyrics in that rebuild track irks us is just because we know English and saying something like that is ridiculous. But Mr. Sagisu was obviously going for something that sounds pleasing and counter's the music nicely. Now if it was in Latin, it wouldn't matter to us then right? We would then realize it's just there to sound good and counteract.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”