Evangelion 1.0 English dub in Seattle July 3-9

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Lenticrow
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Lenticrow » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:45 am

I just got back from the second showing of Eva 1.0 at the Grand Illusion.

I was VERY disappointed. Not with the movie, but with the theater/projection.
I've seen this movie twice already - once at the Harvard Exit (or was it the Guild 45th?), when they were playing it last year, and then once on my compy when it was upped by nice internet people.

Anyway, this is why it totally sucked tonight: The color balance at the Grand Illusion was WAY off. WAY yellow, lots of overpowering blue too. You know how Eva 01 is supposed to be purple and bright green? It was purple and banana yellow (yellow for the fins). You know how Tokyo-3 is amber lit and glorious? It's all scorchingly yellow - like, straight up YELLOW. And I'm not colorblind. It wasn't that everything had a yellow tint, like a filter...no, it was more like everything was really sensitive. Everything that had just a bit of yellow in it (like say, oranges, greens, etc) was just so incredibly yellow.

The color palette, then, in this movie, was as follows:
1) Yellow
2) shades of grey (usually the tech/city/etc)
3) shades of blue (blue tints on a ton of stuff)

Really really disappointed me. In case this is your first time seeing Eva 1.0, just know that they didn't go apeshit with the coloring - it's actually just the theater's fault.

As for the reasons behind this...apparently they're using the Blu-Ray reel, so i dunno if there are any technical mismatches with that, like they didn't calibrate right due to the Blu-Ray? I have no idea at all.

I mentioned it to the projection dude after the movie. Ask him if he knew anything about the color balance, that there was a ton of yellow in the mix. And don't get me wrong, I'm not an audio/videophile - this isn't slight, this is like, my grandma could see that something is fucked up.

He said "I think it was just made that way. The manager screened this at SIFF, and this is the reel we're using so yeah. I think it was just how it's supposed to be."

I gave up, $7 poorer and a little ticked off. Beware. I couldn't even get into the movie, most of the way through I was just thinking "THIS IS SO FUCKING YELLOW WTF."

Lagann
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Lagann » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:49 am

How was the dub?

peterw5
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby peterw5 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:24 am

I was at the early showing, and yeah there was definitely something wrong with the color. Don't get me wrong though, It was still really cool to see on the big screen and I'd check it out if you get a chance.

I thought the dub was quite good too. Of course I'm a fan of the original series dub as well, so my idea of what is "good" might be different from other people's.

The new Ritsuko and Rei were really good. The new Gendo is a little different but was fine once I got used to it. Spike Spencer's Shiji was a little different than in the original series. I thought he sounded more childish/prepubescent in this new dub and I think it fit the character well. It sounds more like the Japanese voice actor's high pitched Shinji. Misato was just as good as she was before and in some scenes better. The new Kaworu was really great too. The only new voice I didn't like was Toji's, it sounded a lot different from the original series voice actor and it didn't seem to fit as well. As for the secondary characters the voices were way better than the original dub. No more retarded sounding members of SEELE, and no more "Every Single Missile Hit The Target! AAAAAHHHHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!"

Overall, the dub was quite enjoyable.
I like Pocky.

Fast Tony DeNiro
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Fast Tony DeNiro » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:04 pm

Well looks like I'm not making it to Seattle to see this, so enjoy it double for me guys. Although if the quality is so bad maybe it's good I'm missing it.

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby schismatics » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:56 pm

peterw5 wrote: As for the secondary characters the voices were way better than the original dub. No more retarded sounding members of SEELE, and no more "Every Single Missile Hit The Target! AAAAAHHHHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!"

That is GOOD NEWS. The dub preview did a good job of showing that off.

hb2
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby hb2 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:53 pm

I was at the 7:00pm show yesterday. couple things I noticed:

1. yes it's yellow.
2. amazed by the fact that some people "wow" and "wtf" at the 2.0 trailer. I thought most Eva geeks had seen the movie (legal or illegally) or at least google searched for the 2.0 trailer
3. what's with that dude who laughed so many time for no reason? I think he was high.

btw, it's the first time I watching the English dub version. it's not bad at all.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:02 pm

Nice review. Looking forward to seeing it even more now.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Orphan Of Darkness
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Orphan Of Darkness » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:52 am

peterw5 wrote:Overall, the dub was quite enjoyable.
Thanx for the review. I got good vibes from the trailer and after reading this I'm have no doubts the dub will be good :) I'll have to wait until September tho to see it
EvanGelion:GLIA @A fanfiction project in progress. ~Updated-Mar 15th/2011~ |DeviantArt

-
"Make good use of this money, Rei. I

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:16 pm

Animenewsnetwork put out a review of the English dub.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/evangelion/1.0.1-you-are-not-alone/dub-version

The review itself is mostly negative and they really don't cover the dub that much at all (it flows better is about the extent of their analysis) but it's something dub watchers might be interested in.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:37 pm

peterw5 wrote:The only new voice I didn't like was Toji's, it sounded a lot different from the original series voice actor

Toji had some three different voice actors over the course of the dub.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Iron Rooster
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Iron Rooster » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:54 am

Please people who've seen the new dub, answer my burning question that absolutely needs an answer:

Was Hyuga black?

But seriously, that is some incredible bull that you people who saw the yellowed screen version got ripped off like that. If you're going to pay full price for a movie, especially one this special, it should at least have decent picture quality. Although it is nice to hear that the voices are decent.
STROOPWAFELS!!!!!!!
Don't trust a prince on a white horse. He probably likes to rape dolls.
Dumbest thread I've ever started

peterw5
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby peterw5 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:11 am

Toji had some three different voice actors over the course of the dub.

That is true, but those three voice actors sounded pretty similar to each other (IMO). The new voice actor had a completely different sound.
I like Pocky.

peterw5
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby peterw5 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:13 am

Oh, and there is no more Black Hyuga. It's a real shame.
I like Pocky.

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:41 am

peterw5 wrote:That is true, but those three voice actors sounded pretty similar to each other (IMO). The new voice actor had a completely different sound.

Did they give him an accent?

My apologies if this is the wrong thread for this - I was wondering if there's an appropriate thread discussing the reasons why the English language version seems to be so, um, late? (From all the dub-related questions I gather the DVD isn't out yet...?)
"People need more stfu in their diets." (NemZ)
"It was brainf@rt at first sight." [LiLi on Romance, II]

AVATAR - CUPCAKE CAT, SHOPPED BY NemZ

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby master_lloyd » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:10 am

Gendo'sPapa wrote:The review itself is mostly negative and they really don't cover the dub that much at all (it flows better is about the extent of their analysis) but it's something dub watchers might be interested in.

It seemed a pretty fair review, pointing out many of the issues already addressed on this forum long ago. Although it is strange reading a review of a film I first saw nearly 2 years ago, and it's especially odd that the reviewer decided mostly to ignore the dub and focus on the story when the majority of the fan base would have seen the movie in it's original moon-speak by now.

The feeling that I got from his review is that the dub is generally 'inoffensive'.

I'm a little surprised that during his criticism that it was "All the same as the show" that he didn't mention the changes set to occur in 2.0, but oh well...
Neon Genesis Evangelion (from the Greek Ευανγελιον, meaning "Gigantic robots piloted by mentally ill children")
Eva Facts:
-Gendo's final silenced line to Ritsuko was "I'm going to shoot you now."
-Nagisa Kaworu kills a kitten every time you masturbate.
-Kaji's first and last name was Kaji

OKdesuKA
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby OKdesuKA » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:33 pm

Well it is called a movie review, we need to find a dub review. :toothy:

So if EVA 1.0/2.0 started airing in more theatres with only dub, would you guys actually support it/watch it? (despite the bitching over dub)

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:39 pm

hey, I'm willing to watch the dub, especially since for the most part there's new people in the roles and I'm curious how it turned out

my only possible gripe would be, besides general quality issues with the voice actors, whether or not the translation issues are fixed
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby master_lloyd » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:35 am

OKdesuKA wrote:So if EVA 1.0/2.0 started airing in more theatres with only dub, would you guys actually support it/watch it? (despite the bitching over dub)

I've never had too much of a problem with the dub. And on a personal note I think Allison Keith's voice is teh sex.

If any version of Rebuild started airing in my local theatres, I'd be down there like a shot. But as far as I can see it'll be a cold day in hell before Eva arrives at any British Cinemas. In fact the last anime film I can remember airing in any of my nearest cinemas was GITS: Innocence and that was nearly 4 years ago...
Neon Genesis Evangelion (from the Greek Ευανγελιον, meaning "Gigantic robots piloted by mentally ill children")
Eva Facts:
-Gendo's final silenced line to Ritsuko was "I'm going to shoot you now."
-Nagisa Kaworu kills a kitten every time you masturbate.
-Kaji's first and last name was Kaji

Combs
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Combs » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:14 pm

I just got back from my trip to seattle. Needless to say, it was amazing. I got to the 9:00 pm july 7th showing. There was no problems with the colour, just a great blu ray quality projection.

Shinji was bad, Spike now tries too hard and makes him more whiny when it calls for it.

Misato sounds older. like 32 instead of 23.

Gendo was awesome, even more of a cold bastard pimp. "Planning out their lives" really blew me away. Guess Robin Williams couldnt compare.

Rei was meh. Sounds like a (edit: curse you, wordfilter!) sixteen year old to me.

Ritsuko now sounds more like a scientist than a cattle farmer. Props to clinkenbeard.

Touji and Kensuke were meh. I found it funny how they use the new production cut Kaworu for Kensuke.

Kaworu, Hyuga, and Hikari all had one line, but, as said, no black Hyuga.

The rest of the cast was alright, but the seele 01 03 and 04 made me shit bricks.

The dub gets 7/10. For keeping spike and not letting Robin Williams play Gendo. And so I dont get called a newfag because this forum hates the dub.
Proud founder, and sole member of A.I.D.S
"Can you bond with someone, over a television show? ...neuuugh?" -Craig Ferguson
"her BREASTS are like THE MAJOR'S from GHOAST In the MACHINE, She is like a person with CYBORG RADIATOR BREATSTS that do not WORK unless EXPOSED or in TIGHT CLOTHING or else the EXPELLED HEAT managed to SET THINGS ON FIRE" -chee, on misogyny

JupiterCallisto
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby JupiterCallisto » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:31 pm

Was there anything edited from it? Not that it matters...I mean the movie was still good ether way, but I'm just wondering.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”