Evangelion 1.01 R1 DVD Details

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:02 pm

ADV still holds onto the Northern American rights for Neon Genesis Evangelion (the 26 Episode TV Series) and unless something's happened that I haven't heard about MANGA still has the rights for the first generation Eva films (Death & EOE).
Funimation just holds the North American rights for Rebuild (and even then we don't know if there contract actually covers all four films or just 1.0, it hasn't been specified yet).
So a redub is "UNPOSSIBLE" because the rights to Eva in the US is an odd and slippery conundrum. The only way a redub could happen is if the 3 Anime Distributors decided to work out some joint production to Redub Evangelion. A "Rebuild of the Redub of Evangelion" perhaps.

Lagann
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Lagann » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:14 pm

MANGA is basically sitting on the rights to EoE :grmf:

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:07 pm

Didn't ADV flims sold most of their series to Funi like a year ago since I notice that their series like The Guyver had a logo from Funi on their DVD's. They might own Eva also as well.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:38 pm

why would they let go of their one source of income?

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:32 pm

Nah. ADV brought out that Neon Genesis Evangelion: Christmas Edition thing last December.

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:00 pm

Guyver Spawn wrote:Didn't ADV flims sold most of their series to Funi like a year ago since I notice that their series like The Guyver had a logo from Funi on their DVD's. They might own Eva also as well.

Funi only rescued some of ADV's newer titles, which ADV had originally licensed through Sojitz since June 2006 (I think).

Wikipedia has a complete list of Funi's license rescues.

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:45 am

Gendo'sPapa wrote:ADV still holds onto the Northern American rights for Neon Genesis Evangelion (the 26 Episode TV Series) and unless something's happened that I haven't heard about MANGA still has the rights for the first generation Eva films (Death & EOE).
Funimation just holds the North American rights for Rebuild (and even then we don't know if there contract actually covers all four films or just 1.0, it hasn't been specified yet).
So a redub is "UNPOSSIBLE" because the rights to Eva in the US is an odd and slippery conundrum. The only way a redub could happen is if the 3 Anime Distributors decided to work out some joint production to Redub Evangelion. A "Rebuild of the Redub of Evangelion" perhaps.

Thank you for posting this so I didn't have to.

By my understanding, Manga Ent. has the rights to the renewal versions of Death (true^2) and End of Evangelion, and has for a couple years. I think they've been sitting on them for 2 reasons.
1) To make sure that their first release is off the market, and thereby less likely to compete with their new, more expensive release, and
2) They're waiting for the release of Rebuild in the US so they can capitalize on that, methinks.
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

xtr00kvltcorex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby xtr00kvltcorex » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:17 pm

Lagann wrote:MANGA is basically sitting on the rights to EoE :grmf:

hopefully Manga will relinquish rights to someone else, or re-release it with a new dub, preferrably one that hasn't been tainted by AWL's input outside of her voice talents.

it'd be nice to here a dub where the JSSDF soldier's head and the harpies don't make exploding tomato noises :harpy_liplick:
I’m spinning
Faster than the earth
I’m shining
Brighter than the stars

Lagann
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Lagann » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:51 pm

Did MANGA ever release a renewel version of EoE?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:54 pm

No
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:01 pm

:?: :arrow: http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=6091

Now, topic, bitches...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

lyricaldanichan
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby lyricaldanichan » Tue May 05, 2009 10:19 am

I was wondering about that if Funi did get the rights to all 4 movies or just purchasing it case to case basis. I just seems strange if they did it "case by case".

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue May 05, 2009 10:28 am

It's an odd scenario. For good business sense it would be best for Funimation to have paid for the Rebuild franchise in one plan. For Khara it'd be better to write up a new plan and distribution fee for each film.

Personally I'm just gonna assume (yeah yeah ass out of u an me) that Funimation is going to be the distributor of the whole Rebuild Franchise. They don't have much competition in the way of proper anime distribution (Disney's relationship with Miyazaki is based all on the director's name and not on the fact its an anime) and will do everything including murder to keep the rights to the future films.

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Tue May 05, 2009 3:02 pm

Why would we have to wait so long for the DVD to comeout in the USA when Funi others movies don't take that long to dub (Like the DBZ and One Piece movies)? They better give us some better special features or something.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue May 05, 2009 3:19 pm

Probably because if they really ARE trying to use most of the original dub cast, rounding them all up is going to take some time.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

thedarkorb
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby thedarkorb » Tue May 05, 2009 6:59 pm

Isn't the release date for the DVD set for November?

How long would it take to dub? I'm wondering when they would announce who they have among their dub cast.

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby schismatics » Mon May 11, 2009 3:40 pm

Guyver Spawn wrote:Why would we have to wait so long for the DVD to comeout in the USA when Funi others movies don't take that long to dub (Like the DBZ and One Piece movies)? They better give us some better special features or something.

Maybe they're actually gunna put some effort into the dub :headscratch:

But then again I'm fairly optimistic...

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Mon May 11, 2009 10:34 pm

schismatics wrote:Maybe they're actually gunna put some effort into the dub :headscratch:

Tiffany Grant had some interesting things to say about the future dub at Anime Central last weekend. Aaron might remember it better than me.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Mon May 11, 2009 11:19 pm

drinian wrote:
schismatics wrote:Maybe they're actually gunna put some effort into the dub :headscratch:

Tiffany Grant had some interesting things to say about the future dub at Anime Central last weekend. Aaron might remember it better than me.
But don't let that from stopping you from saying your own.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

darthikari
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby darthikari » Tue May 12, 2009 7:39 am

I was at ACEN this past weekend, and while I missed the ADV pannel :asuka_sad: , I spoke to the Funimation reps who said that they were trying to get as many of the original cast members as they could.
"I've had recurring nightmares, that I was loved for who I am, and missed the opportunity to be a better man..."

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”