Mari Discussion/Speculation

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat May 09, 2009 4:12 pm

NemZ wrote:So basically a better adapted female Shinji who takes the 'mask' effect of piloting eva to even more violent extremes?

Eh, Shinji doesn't grin like that, so I think something's missing with this approach.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

DummyPlug
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby DummyPlug » Sat May 09, 2009 4:58 pm

Eh, Shinji doesn't grin like that
He can get pretty close :)
Good prog/modern metal at:
http://acrypticcreature.blogspot.com

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat May 09, 2009 5:01 pm

And if the 2 year old teaser from 1.0 still holds true, he might very well still do that smile.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat May 09, 2009 5:06 pm

I had that in mind, but it's not the same, he's grinning when he's about to finally win (or so he thinks), Mari grins before she lashes out, acting as if she's just enjoying the battle, or plausibly musing some arrogant thoughts, "Who the hell do you think I' am?". :sly:
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

DummyPlug
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby DummyPlug » Sat May 09, 2009 5:08 pm

Ahh, I like that attitude. :grin:

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sat May 09, 2009 5:12 pm

Alaska Slim wrote:I had that in mind, but it's not the same, he's grinning when he's about to finally win (or so he thinks)

I don't think the smile is really about winning or anything. (If he cared about winning, he'd be going after Zeruel's core.) He's more taking a sadistic pleasure in the violence.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat May 09, 2009 5:26 pm

Reichu wrote:I don't think the smile is really about winning or anything. (If he cared about winning, he'd be going after Zeruel's core.)

He was tearing off it's head, I don't quite see why he would think it would survive that. :guillotine:

DummyPlug
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby DummyPlug » Sat May 09, 2009 5:31 pm

The important thing is that they are a pair of sadistic bastards. :)
Last edited by DummyPlug on Sat May 09, 2009 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sat May 09, 2009 5:31 pm

Because Shinji's been through multiple Angel-genocide operations where his superiors tell him to attack Angel cores, and the Angels subsequently die when their cores go bye-bye. He can probably put two and two together.

Hence, he's just going batshit crazy against Zeruel and doesn't care about much besides hurting the bad guy.

DummyPlug wrote:The important thing is that they are a pair of sadistic bastards. :)

Zeruel doesn't get quite sadistic until he starts killing Eva-01 nice and slow-like. He's pretty neat and efficient before that.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat May 09, 2009 5:39 pm

Reichu wrote:Because Shinji's been through multiple Angel-genocide operations where his superiors tell him to attack Angel cores, and the Angels subsequently die when their cores go bye-bye. He can probably put two and two together.

EVA-03 died when it's neck got cracked, he could be acting out his agression from then. :headbeat:

DummyPlug
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby DummyPlug » Sat May 09, 2009 5:42 pm

So, I can imagine Shinji was acting like that because of all the damage the angel had caused but what about Mari? I wonder if she's batshit insane all the time.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sat May 09, 2009 5:44 pm

Alaska Slim wrote:EVA-03 died when it's neck got cracked

Got "incapacitated", maybe. "Died" -- not at all. Not that this is really the right topic for this.

DummyPlug wrote:So, I can imagine Shinji was acting like that because of all the damage the angel had caused but what about Mari? I wonder if she's batshit insane all the time.

Having the full context will probably help some.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby Axell » Sat May 09, 2009 8:08 pm

eva 3 lost control of its limbs when its neck was cracked, bardiel was still present. Hell, imo bardiel which is supposed to be fungal should not have died so easily :) need moar violence

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sat May 09, 2009 8:16 pm

Axell wrote:eva 3 lost control of its limbs when its neck was cracked, bardiel was still present. Hell, imo bardiel which is supposed to be fungal should not have died so easily :)

I think there may actually be an explanation for what happened there. Remind me to vomit a bunch of stuff on the Eva-03/Bardiel thing
into Discussion once next week is over...

Back on topic, now.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

evilhead008
Adam

Postby evilhead008 » Sat May 09, 2009 9:14 pm

EVA-03 died when it's neck got cracked, he could be acting out his agression from then.

No, it got disabled; if Toji felt that, he likely would have died, but Unit-02 has suffered way worse injuries, and still remained functional (after Zereul), if only for a short time (after the harpies.)

"To kill an Eva" would probably involve getting rid of the soul in the core, otherwise it's a zombie that can't be stopped.

On topic: Shinji was grinning out of enjoyment from releasing all that pent-up emo-angriness from the Bardiel fiasco. I wouldn't put it past him to imagine that Zereul was his dad. He was also fighting to protect his friends, coupled with the fact that he knew Rei and Asuka were injured pretty bad.

Would you enjoy ripping a guy's head off? ... Slowly, feeling each little tendon in the neck strain and resist, groaning in agony before they burst in a little bloody shower?

RockManBalls
Lilith

Postby RockManBalls » Sat May 09, 2009 9:23 pm

evilhead008 wrote:Would you enjoy ripping a guy's head off? ... Slowly, feeling each little tendon in the neck strain and resist, groaning in agony before they burst in a little bloody shower?

Ichi the Killer probably would. And now I sort of feel the need to barf.

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

Postby ZapX » Sat May 09, 2009 9:28 pm

Aw, shit. You guys made me break out the bold red text. THIS IS MARI THREAD.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Sat May 09, 2009 10:48 pm

What if Mari was a masochist? She pilots EVA to purposely receive mental and physical pain.

Too far of a stretch though, and you can obviously tell where I got my inspiration for it from.
<-------

GAP
Matarael
Matarael

Postby GAP » Sun May 10, 2009 1:57 am

Why so serious? Seriously, why are you are you all taking me so seriously? HA HA HA!
Fall into GAP! Guernsey Adams Pierre

DummyPlug
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby DummyPlug » Sun May 10, 2009 3:20 am

OH GOD NOT THE BOLD RED TEXTTT!!

Ok, so far we know that:

She's probably half brittish.
She probably goes to a private school (rich?) and the name of the school starts with a J (or is that a T?).
She probably lost her mother in some way.
She grins like a psycho during the battle with Sahacquiel(?).
Her voice is probably awesome (judging from her seiyuu's previous work).

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”