Mari Discussion/Speculation

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
universalperson
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby universalperson » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:33 pm

Number 44 wrote:Hello, new here.

My call, she is lesbian...

Setup : Asuka thinks Mari is interested in Shinji. Cue a scene where Asuka makes a point to bad mouth Shinji to Mari. Followed by Mari making a confession of being attracted to Asuka, and wrap up with a red faced Asuka feeling awkward.

Serious though, if it were ANY other anime that IS how it would work, right?

This is Eva. Not any other anime.

Though Asuka subject of a lesbian crush is a hilarious idea.
Avatar courtesy of RetroRainbow, and the Eva art book.

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

Postby AuraTwilight » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:01 pm

and the reason why Mari is a lesbian? Because the Seeds, if Kaworu is any indication, are totally gay, therefore, so must their creators, the FAR, of which Mari is a member.

rberlin
Adam

Postby rberlin » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:35 pm

Mari will probably be a trap. If you think about it traps are very popular with otaku right now, so killing one off will be very satisfying for Anno.

And Shinji already has too many potential female love interests but only the one male.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:48 pm

I'm of the opinion that Shinji has NO Potential Female Love Interests (or Male for that matter). They're just things that aren't there that are forced onto the show and its characters by the fanbase.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

Postby BobBQ » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:06 am

Gendo'sPapa wrote:They're just things that aren't there that are forced onto the show and its characters by the fanbase.

"Very good, what he said."

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:15 am

Gendo'sPapa wrote:I'm of the opinion that Shinji has NO Potential Female Love Interests (or Male for that matter).

No, the potential is there -- just not realized at any point.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

Postby AuraTwilight » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:15 pm

I can see Mari being a sort of trap, what with being a hermaphroditic FAR. Though no, she doesn't have any trap attributes. You can tell these things, or so I have heard. >_>

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:25 pm

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:27 pm

I still wonder just what the heck that means. I do wonder if the "twins" thing would mean they're both Angels, or are related somehow. At any rate, I'm not putting much stock in it either, unless 2.0 discusses this.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:32 pm

I call bullshit but has REBUILD cannon yet referred to Kaworu as NAGISA?

I'm sure they have ("Explanation of Evangelion" on 1.01 DVD?) but if anyone can prove it then cool.

Anywho. Would give a reason for why Mari's on the moon too though.

DummyPlug
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby DummyPlug » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:07 pm

I agree. If she was paler and had red eyes + greyish/blueish hair then maybe it would be possible that she's one of those half angel, half human people. And she would have to be one of those if she is twins with Kaworu, thereby sharing a great deal of genetic material.
Good prog/modern metal at:
http://acrypticcreature.blogspot.com

onlylunch2
Embryo

Random Rebuild Speculation

Postby onlylunch2 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:46 pm

We'll have to see the movie to conclude if she really has any connection to kawrou or not. If we don't get an inch of background information on her in 2.0, it's a safe bet she's not 100% human.

Also, the fact that her eva has a completely different build might indicate its a unique eva built for a unique purpose or for non-human to operate it. ESPECIALLY since its known that eva unit 2 is the first actual non-prototype eva (stated in the original series), there would be no reason to change the eva design after only a few models are built..

Last point, in the preview at the end on eva 1.0 there was a quick caption that read lilims and showed ghostly white figures with halos. Maybe mari has a connection to those, or is one altogether. This is just a completely out-of-the-blue hypothesis.

>dicuss.
Evangelion + Realism: (by me)
Aoba: "Unit 01 is not responding!! The entry plug won't eject!!"
Misato: "Sigh... Since when does the eva EVER function properly?"
Ritsuko: "We need a better eject system before Shinji actually dies for once..."

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:26 pm

onlylunch2 wrote:Also, the fact that her eva has a completely different build might indicate its a unique eva built for a unique purpose or for non-human to operate it.

She's perfectly "human". She just has a high midichlorian count.

ESPECIALLY since its known that eva unit 2 is the first actual non-prototype eva (stated in the original series)

NGE =/= Rebuild.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Itac
Adam

Postby Itac » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:32 pm

onlylunch2 wrote:ESPECIALLY since its known that eva unit 2 is the first actual non-prototype eva (stated in the original series), there would be no reason to change the eva design after only a few models are built..

/agree Reichu

Also, to clarify, Eva-02 was the first "Production" model, meaning it was the first designed specifically for combat scenarios(and not just a test.) It's worth it to note that Eva-03 was actually closer to the full production model than 02, although apparently they completely changed the design for the MP Harpies. It's also worthy to note that beside the bipedal part the Harpies really don't share much in common with the rest of the Eva series, so the concept of having a quadruped Eva really isn't that farfetched.

onlylunch2
Embryo

Postby onlylunch2 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:52 pm

Hmm, you both certainly raise good points. Assuming theres no other eva units similar in design to mari's eva, do you think it might be an important factor in the plot? If so, what are your speculations? Considering the rebuild has less time to develop characters and plot, wouldn't it be risky to add an entire new character since it would mean sacrificing other character/plot development to introduce mari? I'm pretty sure mari along with her eva have a more important role than just another character & eva addition to the arsenal.

On a side note, i really can't wait to see what the new designs for the mass produced eva series looks like as well as how they will fit in the equation this time around.
Evangelion + Realism: (by me)
Aoba: "Unit 01 is not responding!! The entry plug won't eject!!"
Misato: "Sigh... Since when does the eva EVER function properly?"
Ritsuko: "We need a better eject system before Shinji actually dies for once..."

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:04 pm

onlylunch2 wrote:On a side note, i really can't wait to see what the new designs for the mass produced eva series looks like as well as how they will fit in the equation this time around.

I don't think we have to "worry about them" this time around.

Consider:
- New ending scenario
- Limited amount of screen time
- New elements being introduced starting next movie will demand screen time and take plot in new direction
- A fleet of Evas would ALSO demand screen time and impose a narrative burden by tying the writers to EoE when they've already said they're going to do something different.

You can be hopeful and all, but it probably won't do much good. Just enjoy the two new Evas; you can pop in EoE if you need your harpy fix.

Anyway, that's a wee bit off-topic.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Itac
Adam

Postby Itac » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:16 pm

Yeah, I'm really not expecting the Harpies. As far as Mari's involvement in the plot, I'm gonna go ahead and say that her actual part in the plot is going to be entirely separate from her role as a pilot. I don't think Eva-05 will be a permanent addition, but I DO think she will be sticking around. As well I'm not expecting any more new Eva units after Eva-06, in fact I'm gonna call it here---02 will be destroyed halfway through Rebuild 3.0. (But somehow Asuka will survive, oooor....Shinji goes berserk and using his dark Yui-magic starts 3I.)

Back on topic, I imagine Mari is going to play a very significant part in the development of the other pilots. Shinji will become comfortable around a woman for once, Rei will somehow become less reclusive, and Asuka will...learn to be less of an Asuka.

PuppetChaos
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby PuppetChaos » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:46 pm

She's really an immortal Rei Ayanami-returned-from-the-tang from a far, far future, having altered her appearance to resemble a younger, long-haired Yui; and traveled back in time to roughly 1940, and is responsible for manipulating SEELE and the Angels alike to her own ends, accounting for the differences between the series and Rebuild. All of this is in effort to prevent the events of End of Evangelion from happening, and to make herself into a god and lead humanity into her definition of a golden age, with Shinji and 01 as her right hand enforcer.

Shinji will refuse this in 4.0, and MaRei will be the final boss, and her Eva in 4.0, after 05 being destroyed, will be 01 from the far future she comes from (referred to as 'Aleph-One') with laser wings, a gigantic energy sword and a rocket punch. Shinji and MaRei will both end up killing each other in the battle that ensues, but Asuka will cry over Shinji's dead body, and the time paradox of Aleph-One destroying its past self will result in Shinji coming back to life.

Then they all have sandwiches. The last shot of the final movie is Anno pointing and laughing at the viewer. To make up for the trolling, he reveals that your ticket is good for a free Subway sandwich. But only on tuesdays, and only if you buy a medium or large tang.
DeviantART | YouTube | LiveJournal
I think the 00 Gundam is a pretty cool guy, eh teleports and doesnt afraid of anything

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:59 pm

Gendo'sPapa wrote:I call bullshit but has REBUILD cannon yet referred to Kaworu as NAGISA?

I'm sure they have ("Explanation of Evangelion" on 1.01 DVD?) but if anyone can prove it then cool.

Going to the Wiki and looking at the Explanation of 1.01 page isn't that hard.

Ornette wrote:uhhh....

Therefore, her three-syllable Asian surname is "Nagisa". :p
Last edited by Reichu on Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Postby Alaska Slim » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:49 am

AuraTwilight wrote:and the reason why Mari is a lesbian? Because the Seeds, if Kaworu is any indication, are totally gay

Then I guess they're so totally not gay.

Itac wrote:and Asuka will...learn to be less of an Asuka.

:gasp: BLASPHEMY! *splashes Itac with holy LCL*

Reichu wrote:Going to the Wiki and looking at the Explanation of 1.01 page isn't that hard.

By the way Reichu, while I was in the wiki, I noticed a very strange term on Asuka's article around the part about episode 25'....
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”