Rei's Book

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

Rei's Book

Postby The Goose » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:12 am

Split out of here since it comprised, like, half of the thread. -Reichu

Also, when Shinji is in the hospital and sees Rei next to him, shes reading her manuel. Theres something on the left side of the page. It looks like a stain.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:55 am

Ah, yes! :) I remember seeing this from the old trailer caps- that book looked too detailed to be a notebook. She recites the operation schedule from memory right now, doesn't she?

IIRC, the diagram in that book looks like a Sephiroth.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Zuggy
Banned

Postby Zuggy » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:42 pm

UrsusArctos wrote:I remember seeing this from the old trailer caps- that book looked too detailed to be a notebook.

Screenies plz. :rei_hissyfit:

I posted some stuff about weird details in 1.0 here.

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

Postby The Goose » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:31 pm

Screenies plz.

http://sazanquest.net.33.masterwebnet.com/rei-shinji/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1261&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=315

In that link there is a screen grab of Rei with her book. Just scroll down.

Looking closer at the picture on my camrip, the stain (or whatever it is) seems to overlap some of the words in the book. So, maybe it isn't an image of Sephiroth. I mean, why would the publishers of that book have an image cover up the words?

universalperson
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby universalperson » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:50 pm

The Goose wrote:
Screenies plz.

http://sazanquest.net.33.masterwebnet.com/rei-shinji/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1261&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=315

In that link there is a screen grab of Rei with her book. Just scroll down.

Looking closer at the picture on my camrip, the stain (or whatever it is) seems to overlap some of the words in the book. So, maybe it isn't an image of Sephiroth. I mean, why would the publishers of that book have an image cover up the words?

Not everyone has signed up on those forums. Can you post a link to the image itself?
Avatar courtesy of RetroRainbow, and the Eva art book.

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

Postby The Goose » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:53 pm

Can you post a link to the image itself?

Sadly, I can not. I should have thought about that. Stupid me! Sorry!

Zuggy
Banned

Postby Zuggy » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:15 am

Rei's book from the dodgy camrip, can't be bothered to correct the aspect ratio:

Looks like a cut-away diagram of a heart or some other organ from the far shot, but in the closer shot it just looks like a couple of decorative twirls. The two columns of text suggest it's one of the books of the Bible to me.

shito
Embryo

Postby shito » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:28 pm

it just looks like the book got a bit of water in the pages.

and I didn't knew Operation Yashima was one of Jesus' adventures :w00t:
death and

UrsusArctos

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:06 pm

The quality is horrible, but in the upper image it looks vaguely like a sephiroth. The lower image has too much overlap.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

Postby The Goose » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:27 pm

Maybe someone can get a screen grab from the trailer? That might have better quality.

Zuggy
Banned

Postby Zuggy » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:13 pm

The Goose wrote:Maybe someone can get a screen grab from the trailer? That might have better quality.

Yeah, it does show up in one of the trailers, but I don't have it on my HD anymore. I put it on YouTube, but that reduces the quality - http://youtube.com/watch?v=SxPRqM2Zn1w (00:18).

UrsusArctos wrote:The quality is horrible, but in the upper image it looks vaguely like a sephirah.

Fixed. I don't think it is. It looks like it's three-pronged in that shot, like a stylised bird spreading it's wings or the letter ש.

UrsusArctos

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:17 pm

It does look like a blotch.

UrsusArctos

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:19 pm

It's a blotch in the camrip version. Ornette might have a high-quality one of the trailer with him.

Otaprince
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Otaprince » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:12 pm

Zugzwang wrote:

The two columns of text suggest it's one of the books of the Bible to me.

Old plays and books of poetry often have two columns, most famously the First Folio of Shakespeare and its reprints.

Zuggy
Banned

Postby Zuggy » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:36 pm

Got a shoot of the book from the new DVD trailer - it's a bit clearer.

UrsusArctos

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:34 pm

From an angle, it looks like an owl face. More like something printed or drawn on the paper as a background than a blotch.

AchtungAffen
Banned

Postby AchtungAffen » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:13 pm

UrsusArctos wrote:From an angle, it looks like an owl face.

O RLY?
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

Postby The Goose » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:22 pm

I'm also wrong about the image covering the words. The words are clearly printed across the image.

Zuggy
Banned

Postby Zuggy » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:28 am

UrsusArctos wrote:From an angle, it looks like an owl face.

If you play around with the contrast and brightness while looking at it, it really does look like the face of an owl...

oh shi-

UrsusArctos

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:49 am

Gah, Mothman. Wrong thread, Zugz.

Makes me wonder...subliminal messaging (ZOMG this is Lilith!!!) or is it a hint at what she's reading? Something to do with Lilith or the Dead Sea Scrolls?

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”