REBUILD OF EVANGELION 01 DVD Release?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Shin-seiki
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki » Sat May 03, 2008 10:22 pm

NAveryW wrote:THOSE WEREN'T ON THE DVD AND YOU KNOW IT. EXPLAIN YOURSELF!
If you DVD is red and came in a red box, it doesn't have 'em. I'm burning the fansubbed ISO even as I post this.
[URL=http://img160.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot3ee3.png]Image[/URL]

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sat May 03, 2008 10:46 pm

A better fansub than the ones we have, I take it?
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Shin-seiki
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki » Sat May 03, 2008 10:55 pm

NAveryW wrote:A better fansub than the ones we have, I take it?

Well, since it's the actual 7.27 GB R2 DVD with a subtitle file inserted, I'd say yeah, I guess so...

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sat May 03, 2008 11:27 pm

I'm not referring to the video file; I'm referring to the subs themselves.

Shin-seiki
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki » Sat May 03, 2008 11:52 pm

NAveryW wrote:I'm not referring to the video file; I'm referring to the subs themselves.
I've only seen one other example, the 679 MB mkv (NF), that was on TT a week or so ago. (I DLed the Korean cam-rip, but never watched more than a few minutes of it cuz I figured I'd save myself for the DVD version.) This fansubbed DVD seems to have an acceptable translation as far as I can tell; there's no info file to tell whether it an original translation, or borrowed from one of the earlier versions floating around. I haven't even had a chance to watch my real Rebuild DVD that arrived last week, I was surprised that a subbed ISO version turned up so soon. Now I don't even really need to play the real one; it will just sit unmolested in its case.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun May 04, 2008 1:05 am

UrsusArctos wrote:And it's "Attention here, please!" this time. Hehehe. :mwahaha:

Different translation of the same thing.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Iron Rooster
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Iron Rooster » Sun May 04, 2008 1:17 am

Seems like by the time a legit DVD comes to the rest of the world, anybody who would want it already has a copy. I wonder how many people will buy the DVD even if they already have a copy on their hard drive.

Seriously, I would rather have a legit disk, but for now an illegal rip works for me. I guess I'm a freak.
STROOPWAFELS!!!!!!!
Don't trust a prince on a white horse. He probably likes to rape dolls.
Dumbest thread I've ever started

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun May 04, 2008 1:43 am

Reichu wrote:Different translation of the same thing.

I meant to say that Khara had subtitled it exactly- since "Attention here, please" was always the intended meaning.

But since it's a fansub, well...whoever's subbing it is doing a far better job than ADV did. That's for sure.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Asuka's Plug Suit
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka's Plug Suit » Sun May 04, 2008 2:49 am

UrsusArctos wrote:
Reichu wrote:Different translation of the same thing.

I meant to say that Khara had subtitled it exactly- since "Attention here, please" was always the intended meaning.

But since it's a fansub, well...whoever's subbing it is doing a far better job than ADV did. That's for sure.

Now, now...for the most part, I think they did a fine job (especially on the Platinum Edition). Although the fact that they messed up one of the most important lines in EoE almost negates the good work they did on everything else...

But hey...most of us have the srt file for 1.0, do we not? Doesn't that mean we can work out our own version which gets everything right...?
あんたバカ...?
I am (not) a geek.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun May 04, 2008 2:55 am

Actually "kimochi warui" was the screwup of Mangle and AWL not ADV directly.

Anyway, this is a blog that has pics of the Webuild DVD menus and such: http://www.cartoonleap.com/?p=22&lang=en#more-22
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sun May 04, 2008 10:45 am

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Actually "kimochi warui" was the screwup of Mangle and AWL not ADV directly.
That's not the line he was referring to. Adam came from Lilith, remember?

Asuka's Plug Suit
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka's Plug Suit » Sun May 04, 2008 1:24 pm

NAveryW wrote:
Sailor Star Dust wrote:Actually "kimochi warui" was the screwup of Mangle and AWL not ADV directly.
That's not the line he was referring to. Adam came from Lilith, remember?

That's the one..."Kimochi warui" defies translation, IMHO, so almost ANYTHING could be praised or criticized there.
And yes...the EoE screw-up is not ADVs fault; I just had a brain-fart.
あんたバカ...?
I am (not) a geek.

Iron Rooster
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Iron Rooster » Sun May 04, 2008 1:40 pm

I wonder, who here would love to see whoever gets the rights to Rebuild overseas just release it with accurate subs and skip the dubbing process?

Oh and about EoE's translation and subs, WTF? They totally were dubtitles and crap. I want the real McCoy not the inaccurate shit they pulled out of their asses in some parts! I watch dubs and subs, but geez make them as close and accurate as possible! Hopefully this fiasco won't happen with Rebuild.
STROOPWAFELS!!!!!!!
Don't trust a prince on a white horse. He probably likes to rape dolls.
Dumbest thread I've ever started

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed May 07, 2008 1:56 am

Ok, I've got it playing on my DVD player in crystal clear quality now, but I still can't get it to work on my MacBook Pro. I've tried MacTheRipper but it keeps coming up ineffective.
Does anyone know anything that could be causing the problem. I want to share this film with friends (as in get together one night and watch it- not that kind of sharing) but I want to showcase it in crystal clear quality with English subtitles.
While I could easily show the rip to people the quality is still pretty fugly at moments (because of the nature of the final battle the blacks are really....meh) I'd rather not.
Any pointers as to why MactheRipper isn't working or anyone know something that works better.

Thanks.
But having this seen this now off the DVD (sans subtitles though) this movie is freaking beautiful image wise.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed May 07, 2008 2:20 am

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dload.html

download the osx binary, then type in the terminal "mplayer dvd://1 -sub <location>"

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed May 07, 2008 4:05 am

I'm really computer illiterate. I downloaded mplayer...but terminal and all that....you lost me. I want to say thanks for help and any more from anyone would be most appreciated.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed May 07, 2008 4:09 am

Gendo'sPapa wrote:I'm really computer illiterate. I downloaded mplayer...but terminal and all that....you lost me. I want to say thanks for help and any more from anyone would be most appreciated.

OSX has a terminal, I have no clue how you bring it up, but it's an app that opens a window and gives you a prompt that you can type commands in. I believe the app is just called "Terminal".

Shin-seiki
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki » Wed May 07, 2008 8:37 am

Terminal is found at Applications/Utilities/Terminal

Gendo's Papa, what exactly is the problem? Is this a DVD Region issue, i.e., Rebuild is R2, and your MacBook's disk drive is set for R1? I have an external FireWire disk drive set to Region 2, and have used MacTheRipper to make a region-free rip of EVA_1.1. without any problem.

If the DVD mounts up on your computer's desktop, then you should be able to play it with DVD Player, VLC, or MPlayer.

I should mention also that the fansubbed Rebuild DVD that I was gloating about above is region-free, and has subtitles.

Merlin Ocelot
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Merlin Ocelot » Thu May 08, 2008 2:50 pm

Iron Rooster wrote:Seems like by the time a legit DVD comes to the rest of the world, anybody who would want it already has a copy. I wonder how many people will buy the DVD even if they already have a copy on their hard drive.

Seriously, I would rather have a legit disk, but for now an illegal rip works for me. I guess I'm a freak.

No your not a freak... I have the same thing. Every movie/cd/game I have is legit and original. I download nothing... maybe a song to see if it is a good cd or something but nothing else.

As for Rebuild... WHEN THE FUCK WILL THERE BE A DVD WITH SUBS!? :evillaugh:
"Death is the road to awe"

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu May 08, 2008 3:01 pm

Oh, its a whole bundle of problems. Mainly it is the Region issue that's plaguing me. Thankfully I hacked into my DVD Player and made it region free so I can easily watch the film on my TV straight off the DVD in wonderful crystal clear quality.
But I was hoping to do what I feel you've done Shin-Seiki, which is buy the DVD (which I have) and then copy the information on the DVD- menus, super quality and all- onto another region free DVD that I can add subtitles to and basically have a film I can take with me wherever I go. And not have to hack into a friends DVD player if I want to show it.
Mainly the key thing I want is the crystal clear DVD quality with subtitles at the bottom. Because as good as the rips online are, they still get mighty damn pixelated when it comes to the darker scenes (which is like the entire second half of the film).

When I put the DVD in it asks me to change the region (which I'd prefer not to do) and the DVD does pop up on my desktop but using VLC or Mplayer is no success. I've tried MactheRipper but they mention something about files missing (even though I do a full DVD transfer).

I'm kinda irked about all this and any help would be so-so-so appreciated.
Cause I figure if I can get the info off the DVD I can just attach the online subs to the image and have a superb-subtilted Evangelion 1.0

Right?

Thanks.

P.S. I have purchased the DVD and don't intend to do anything with this "Subtitled DVD" but watch it. So its not stealing in any way.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”