"Glasses Girl" (Mari) speculation/discussion

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:27 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Mari, huh? (Not sure if I want). Wonder if she'll be named after a ship with her last name, though?

As long as her surname's not Wakatake, we should be fine. There was a WWII era naval vessel of that name, though -- http://www.acepilots.com/ships/wakatake.html
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:56 pm

So that March thing I'm assuming is them saying that the 4th episode of Eva@School is gonna premiere within the next few days and that will be the "intro" of her.

Mari huh?

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

Postby BobBQ » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:05 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:As long as her surname's not Wakatake, we should be fine.

Somebody shop that, quick!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:13 pm

Gendo'sPapa wrote:So that March thing I'm assuming is them saying that the 4th episode of Eva@School is gonna premiere within the next few days and that will be the "intro" of her.

Given the "GETTO shita tokoro" (place/time obtained), it sounds like it has something to do with the game itself.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

Postby AuraTwilight » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:41 pm

Hm. They go out of their way to state that she's a "Mysterious" girl. That's a word that's pretty much only been affiliated with Rei and Kaworu, but she doesn't have any signs of "albino vessel" syndrome.

Either way, I bet good money she's the pilot of Gogouki.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:54 pm

Mari? Hmm. Sounds French. Marie is the French version of Mary, after all.

Marie Jean-Barte or Mari Richelieu? Marie Dunkirque(I'm not sure if this is the proper spelling)? Marie Clemenceau?
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:49 pm

Mari is a Japanese name. Mary or Marie would be マリー (with a long "i").
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:15 pm

Thankyou, Reichu. (was driving me nuts when the IRC chaps kept saying "Hey, her name's Mary!")

@ Tines: I read the article, and I'm still lost on why that last name would be bad. You'll have to enlighten me. :sweatdrop:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

UrsusArctos

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:26 pm

Ah. So much for "French GG". Mari.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:05 pm

I wouldn't say so much to anything until there's an official release made. This is just a few kanji (is it kanji...I don't know) on a game. I mean is it Evangelion when translated or spoken or is it Wevrangerion (is that how the scribbles translate?).

I would bet GG might still be of another nationality because in Eva 1.0 they mention how the production of all future Eva's is taking place outside of Japan.

Oh well, once again, this is just a speck of possible information in a sea of...nothing.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:19 pm

Gendo'sPapa wrote:This is just a few kanji (is it kanji...I don't know)

Katakana.

I would bet GG might still be of another nationality

She'll be one of those crossbreeds. Of course, her given name must be Japanese, plus she will have no less than two surnames. All in all, her name will represent at least two different countries. For this is the only way it can be.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:14 am

Sailor Star Dust wrote:@ Tines: I read the article, and I'm still lost on why that last name would be bad. You'll have to enlighten me. :sweatdrop:

Wakatake Mari is the name of the forime protagonist of Blue Drop ~天使達の戯曲~. Since her name fits the NGE pattern of a surname matching a WWII naval vessel, it would also be a plausible choice for the new meganekko, even though the prototypical Wakatake-san doesn't in fact wear glasses.

Or could this actually be the arrival of the new Eva pilot from America, Maria Vincennes!? ...
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby master_lloyd » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:23 am

Keeping with the boat naming theme, how about 'Mari Celeste' :toothy:
Neon Genesis Evangelion (from the Greek Ευανγελιον, meaning "Gigantic robots piloted by mentally ill children")
Eva Facts:
-Gendo's final silenced line to Ritsuko was "I'm going to shoot you now."
-Nagisa Kaworu kills a kitten every time you masturbate.
-Kaji's first and last name was Kaji

UrsusArctos

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:13 am

Vincennes and Celeste are passe. Try Mississippi, or Missouri. Both ships were associated with pivotal moments in Japanese history, after all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Mississippi_(1841)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Missouri_(BB-63)

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:23 am

UrsusArctos wrote:Vincennes and Celeste are passe.

Maria Vincennes has form, as they say -- she's the Sixth Child, from the NGE pencil and paper RPG

http://www.evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=146206#146206

UrsusArctos

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:41 am

Wow! Mari- Maria Vincennes?

Apart from the missing "a", you've sold me on this one.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:45 am

BobBQ wrote:
Mr. Tines wrote:As long as her surname's not Wakatake, we should be fine.

Somebody shop that, quick!

The easy shoop:

kasuturo
Adam

Postby kasuturo » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:12 pm

So, I'm guessing all we need now is the game itself so we can discover what the heck is she doing there (so we can have a clue about her) and prove that the image is not a fake, right?
I do not have a signature.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:46 pm

kasuturo wrote:prove that the image is not a fake, right?

Considering the two different versions of the screenshot posted on the previous page by two different people, I doubt anyone would go to the trouble of coordinating such fakery.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

majlund
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby majlund » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:10 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:The easy shoop:

Shouldn't the order be like this?

(Yes. It's a shoddy job, but I'm still learning how to gimp - mkay)
Si vis Pacem para Bellum

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”