"Glasses Girl" (Mari) speculation/discussion

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:07 am

The meganekko-Hikari picture is one that appeared on THAT BOARD quite a long time ago. The modified date on that file is 6 June 2006, so it would have been drawn well before that.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:00 am

I found the 2.0 trailer, and it does look a lot like Hikari with glasses on. GG appears to have blue eyes (Hikari's eyes look light blue or violet in that pic, so maybe), and there's a reflection of something in her glasses. It looks like aircraft flying in waves...I'm tempted to think of the huge bombers/Eva transporters that carry the Evas and the Harpies about, but it's impossible to tell for sure. I can't make out if she has freckles, but I'm getting curiouser and curiouser about the whole thing.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby TriLink » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:30 am

Ironfoot wrote:Could be a new character, but since Hikari didn't show up in the first Rebuild, there is a chance that she got redesigned for the next movie.

But if GG really is just a redesigned Hikari, then who's the NEW character?
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:49 pm

GG ain't Hikari.

My guess is Hikari's in Eva 1.0 somewhere just very very VERY in the background. Like half-blink and you'll miss her. Or she'll just show up next to Asuka somewhere in Eva 2.0 and not really have any dialogue. Hikari can show up in R'Eva and not really play a part. My guess is the whole "Hikari-Likes-Toji" bit is going to erased out of R'Eva unless Toji really gets some screentime to make his "HAS-TO-BE" Death in Eva Unit 03 actually mean something.

....of course that brings up the question of whether Toji will be in Eva Unit 03 at all? Oh the plot thickens!!!

My guess is GG is going to be very close in personality to Moyoco Anno. Outspoken and pretty smart. She may actually be the only female pilot to speak up about the injustices (but necessary) that go along with being an Eva pilot.

Who knows....with Kaworu's popularity Eva 2.0 and beyond may just become "Pretty Boy: The Movie".
Though I still think Kaworu and Eva Unit 06 isn't going to show up until the very end of Eva 2.0 at the very end.
And I feel that Unit 06 is really going to make an appearance in an all new extended battle between it and Eva Unit 01 in the depths of Terminal Dogma.
But then again if Lilith is in Terminal Dogma and Adam is on the Moon with Kaworu wouldn't Kaworu just get up out of his coffin, walk up to Adam and go- BOOM! Third Impact. Seems kinda...anticlimatic..
So does that mean Misato is wrong again only now its Adam in Terminal Dogma and not Lilith. Or does Lilim mean multiple Lilths and we'll have a big naked Rei and Big Naked Kaworu have big Naked Sex in the climax of R'Eva FINAL. Or does that mean-

AHHHHHHH!!!! IT'S TOO MUCH!!! JUST GIVE ME EVA 1.0! MY PRETTIER EPISODES 1-6 RIGHT NOW!!!!

P.S. Times Online article about Mrs. Anno

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/b ... 806731.ece

UrsusArctos

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:19 pm

TriLink12 wrote:
Ironfoot wrote:Could be a new character, but since Hikari didn't show up in the first Rebuild, there is a chance that she got redesigned for the next movie.

But if GG really is just a redesigned Hikari, then who's the NEW character?

Even a redesigned Hikari is not necessarily Hikari- she's likely gonna be someone totally different. I'm not expecting Glasses Girl to say, "Hikari Horaki desu, yeroshku!" but I am suggesting she might be closely modeled after Hikari, but with an expanded role.

And even if GG is an entirely new character, it begs the obvious question: why is Hikari missing? We've seen even Pen^2 and the same classmates and bridge bunnies about, why didn't Hikari make the cut?

ED: Of course, if it is Hikari, then it's gonna be someone else new. Simple as that- there's no telling what's on Anno's mind now.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Barinax
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby Barinax » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:40 pm

I honestly thought it was her when I first saw her. I'm not sure right now.

Wait, has Kensuke appeared in any trailers yet? Or in the movie, at all?

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:44 pm

Barinax wrote:I honestly thought it was her when I first saw her. I'm not sure right now.

Wait, has Kensuke appeared in any trailers yet? Or in the movie, at all?

Yes, he's in the first movie.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:48 pm

Gendo'sPapa wrote:<snip>

P.S. Times Online article about Mrs. Anno

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/b ... 806731.ece
well, well, well

I knew Hideaki had taken a wife a few years ago and has had a baby girl but I had never heard anything more on the missus until this li'l gem of an article came along.

Interesting article, considering Japan's and much of the Asian (and in some ways Mid-Eastern and African) societies'/cultures' 1950's (and sometimes downright mediæval) "attitude" toward gender roles in personal and professional life.

/off-topic
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Tominator2
Embryo

Postby Tominator2 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:19 pm

Gendo'sPapa wrote:....of course that brings up the question of whether Toji will be in Eva Unit 03 at all? Oh the plot thickens!!!

[wild_speculation]GG is the pilot of Unit 3. Shinji develops a crush on her, then squishes her. His male friends are no help, his female friends are worse, and the adults don't care as long as he pilots. Shinji's spiral continues down.[/wild_speculation]

marmotgirl
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby marmotgirl » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:17 pm

Gendo'sPapa wrote:

My guess is Hikari's in Eva 1.0 somewhere just very very VERY in the background. Like half-blink and you'll miss her.

I just got my copy of the Entry File in today, and she's definitely in there; I've only had time to flick through half so far but she's featured in at least one screenshot, and she's recognisably 'our' Hikari.
"Dude, it's not that I don't think you're cool or anything but the fact is that that guy is driving a Big Red GTO and you're pissing about in an enraged banana."

Maximilian
Adam

Postby Maximilian » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:18 pm

Yeah, she was on the promo posters, if I recall...

I'm really not a fan of GG. I just don't understand why, when you're basically condensing a nine and a half hour series into three hour and a half movies, you would add a totally new character.

It will be interesting, of course, for those wanting new material.

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:54 pm

Looks like Hikari does appear briefly in 1.0 here in a screenshot that was included in the official guidebook and posted in another thread by klasnic.

UrsusArctos

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:46 pm

Yep, I saw that too. So she's not gone after all.

Wevangeliwon
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Wevangeliwon » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:42 am

Just wanted to say, Hikari is definitely in the movie.

I can't believe I didn't remember it, but they still have the whole 'hey class rep, we need to sneak o--I mean, take a wizz' scene.

GG better bring something good to the EVA table and not be just some add on.

Shiro
Scribe
Scribe

Postby Shiro » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:34 pm

Sailor Star Dust (unsplit post) wrote:Plus Glasses Girl=New SoL. :P (I like my theory so there.)

GG=New SoL? WTF? That's awesome, SSD. That would be so damn messed up. No one would guess that but you.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:59 am

source of life or seed of life. Whatever that stood for.

My thought process was like this:

Glasses Girl Mayumi from 2nd Impression game=Really an (game created) Angel

A NEW Glasses Girl=Yet another SoL like Adam and Lilith, seeing the possibility of a three-way mixup what with the Moon Giant and the funny looking with a mask Lilith.

And thanks. ^_^ It pleases me to know I can fanwank on my own for once.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Shiro
Scribe
Scribe

Postby Shiro » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:24 am

(Yeah, I know what SoL stands for...:P)

I see. I've never played 2nd Impressions, so I wouldn't know. But that'd be a really interesting thing. Although knowing Anno-sensei, it'll be even better.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:06 am

We can only hope so.

Though I have faith Anno-sensei will make this TEH SHIT. (and also: something about Shinji finally having some happiness.)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:18 am

She's not part of the red-eyed, pasty-skinned club. Rei and Kaworu both object to your theory, SSD!
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:28 am

But who says that has to be the case? Perhaps she was meant to wind up in a different part of the Universe and ended up on Earth instead?

But I see your point. :wink:

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”