Rebuild 1:0 "You are (not) alone" Reviews/Spoilers

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

Postby chee » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:50 pm

"Inu-Evangelion"?

Do tell.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:58 am

Krennn wrote:this reminds me has any one seen the little snippit of the Inu-evangelion mini comic in the summer comic compolation? its obnoxiously adorable.

Inu-evangelion...an InuYasha crossover? Whoever thought of that? :?

Cone
Embryo

Postby Cone » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:49 am

OMG, I get it! The angels are youkais! And the S² angine is in fact a shikon no tama! XD

jeebuz...

o.O

Oh, and forgive the n00b, but wtf is "math puppy"? ^^
I thought I knew something about Eva... Poor kid... <=)

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:01 am

THE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:This may have already been covered earlier, but was Shinji's music player still a SDAT? Or was it even featured?

Memory a little hazy, but I seem to recall the track 25/26 thing so I'd say it was still an SDAT.

Krennn
Embryo

Postby Krennn » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:01 am

chee wrote:"Inu-Evangelion"?

Do tell.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c9/Krennn/eva1.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c9/Krennn/EVA2.jpg

here are two pics of the comic, sorry they are a bit blurry cus i dont have a scanner here. This depicts the first episode. but they are jsut gag comics inside the summer compolation. still i think they are entertaining enough. I mean the evangelions are dogs and the angels are cats... and the Rei thing jsut makes me happy in so many ways.

if people are interested ill get decent pictures in order done

Ornette wrote:
THE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:This may have already been covered earlier, but was Shinji's music player still a SDAT? Or was it even featured?

Memory a little hazy, but I seem to recall the track 25/26 thing so I'd say it was still an SDAT.

yeah its SDAT. but does anybody know what music are tracks 25/26? ive always been curious
Im a man of few words.... that is all.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:47 pm

Allow the Mitsuishi Kotono fan to field that question! :mrgreen:

Track 25: You are the Only One

Track 26: Aoi (Blue) Legend

Both are sung by Mitsuishi Kotono-Misato's seiyuu-for the Lilia from Ys soundtrack. Ys is an RPG series.

Later on in the series (e.g. Episodes 23 and 24) Track 25 changes to something else while in 24 we get Ode to Joy. ^_^
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:27 pm

Do you think the change in track 25 symbolized the fact that the ending had become different from the original concept? There's a hypothesis for you.

Zeon
Embryo

Postby Zeon » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:43 pm

Cone wrote:Oh, and forgive the n00b, but wtf is "math puppy"? ^^

Turn up your audio (way up) when Shinji's waking up in the hospital so you can hear the radio. Japanese version.
"I've never had any cherished dreams or ambitions. I don't aspire to any future profession or career."

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:10 pm

Math Puppy is also done by Mitsuishi Kotono, yay! ^_^
*ahem* I'll stop now.
Basically, Math Puppy is asked a Math subtraction problem and it's answer is "Wan" (a dog barking sound) which obviously sounds like "One". ^^; It's in Episode 14, the clips show.

@ Tracks 25 and 26: It does symbolize Shinji finding a world of solitude and later rejecting it (Instrumentality) in EoTV and EoE, if that's what you mean.
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UrsusArctos

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:13 pm

Normally the radio and TV have something important or the other to say, but Math-Puppy magnificently breaks the trend. Other than being funny, it's pretty pointless, or so it appears to me.

UrsusArctos

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:15 pm

Krennn wrote:
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c9/Krennn/eva1.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c9/Krennn/EVA2.jpg

Holy Hentai-Tachi, Catman! What the hell have they done to Sachiel????? YUI-SAMA DOES NOT APPROVE!!!! And neither does Sachi-kun!

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby DatDude » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:26 pm

Inu-Evangelion

It has been nice knowing you all but it seems I have lived to long and seen to much if someones thinking of this even as fan fic.

> takes the blue pill<
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:47 pm

Math-Puppy was one of the greatest gags in the series for me.

And I see Math Puppy as the equivilant of all the really bad anime out there. Stupid shit that serves no purpose but is simply cute (cough*Pokemon*cough)

Krennn
Embryo

Postby Krennn » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:53 am

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Both are sung by Mitsuishi Kotono-Misato's seiyuu-for the Lilia from Ys soundtrack. Ys is an RPG series.

Later on in the series (e.g. Episodes 23 and 24) Track 25 changes to something else while in 24 we get Ode to Joy. ^_^

well awsome and thanks, im going to go look for those now^^

and as for the math puppy, holy crap i need to hear that now.

lastly im sorry i broke your brains but hey someone asked for it, i jsut wanted to share the pain, "thats what we call friendship" ~anonymous
Im a man of few words.... that is all.

Cone
Embryo

Postby Cone » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:20 am

if people are interested ill get decent pictures in order done

DO WANT

Holy Hentai-Tachi, Catman! What the hell have they done to Sachiel????? YUI-SAMA DOES NOT APPROVE!!!! And neither does Sachi-kun!

Yui-sama don´t have to approve anything... SHE´S A FREAKING DOG!!! XD

lol
I thought I knew something about Eva... Poor kid... <=)

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:43 pm

Out of boredom and the fact I put my copy of the Rebuild:01 MP3 onto my somewhat crappy ilo, I decided to translate some of the scenes, so of course, beware of SPOILERS.

Various rough (read: Incorrect in some spots) translations from Rebuild of Evangelion: 01 Prologue/ You are (not) alone.
Translations by Sailor Star Dust, [email protected]

Misato and Shinji talk after he's retrieved from the NERV MIBs at the under-construction bridge (In some ways, I think I like how this was changed around from the original scene in Episode 04 http://evacommentary.org/episode-04/episode-04B-scene6.html) :

Misato: Do you feel better after wandering around? Ikari Shinji-kun.

Shinji: Not really. I don't care what happens to me. I don't have any freedom anyway. It seems like I have no choice but to Pilot Eva. That's the reason Father called me. It's fine. I'll pilot it. It's for everyone, so I'm fine.

Misato: "Everyone"? What about you?

Shinji: I know it's impossible. I'm certain everyone knows that. But injured Ayanami, you Misato-san, and Father...

Misato: Cut that out! Who cares what other people think?! (Her voice is calm again) To continue piloting is only your decision. If you don't like it here, go back to your old life. Do whatever you want, it's fine.

("No choice but to Pilot Eva" is a line strikingly similar during Shinji's little speech to Misato in EoE before she dies. ("I thought I had no choice but to pilot Eva, but it was only an excuse."))

Stuff about Rei:

Ritsuko simply tells Misato to have Shinji give Rei her new ID card; Misato seems confused or surprised about this.
In the next scene, Shinji wonders why his Father wants him to do this.
(ZOMG Gendou's a dirty old man!)

1st Train scene:

Yui: Have you decided on the name?

Gendou: Shinji if it's a boy. Rei if it's a girl. That's what I was thinking.

Yui: Shinji. Rei. *She laughs* Shinji. Shinji. Ayanami Shinji. Rei. Rei. Ikari Rei. That's not right. Ayanami Rei.

*Shinji wakes up, ala recurring Cut 001 from Episode 02*

2nd Train scene:

Shinji: I don't like piloting Eva. It seems like nobody praises me. But if I mess up, everybody will hate me. Why am I here? What have I found here? What good has happened since I came here? I don't like being here for that sake.

Rei 3: Because of that, will you keep on running away from unpleasant things?

Shinji: I'll do it. I have no choice, so I'll do it. Father, Misato-san, they don't need me. They only need me in Eva. That's why I have no choice but to pilot Eva. *Train Crossing Bells are heard* That's why I've been called here. I’m here because of Eva.

*He wakes up, ala recurring Cut 001 from Episode 02*

Somewhat random:

At one point, Gendou mentions something about the "Dummy Plug" if Shinji refuses to Pilot in that second battle with Ramiel. O_o

Misato showing Shinji Lilith:

Misato: You've decided to stay here, right?

Shinji: I'm scared. Misato-san, you and the others are fine. You just give orders. And I'm stuck being scared. It's alright for you and everyone else!

Misato: Come with me for a moment.

*In the elevator*

Misato: 15 years ago, Second Impact occurred. We're trying to prevent Third Impact from happening.

Shinji: I've kept hearing that so far.

Misato: We at NERV Headquarters don't want anyone else to die from an explosion incident. But, what can cause Third Impact is here.

*She opens the door in Terminal Dogma*

Shinji: This...!? Eva?

Misato: No. This is the source of all life, the 1st Angel, Lilith.

Shinji: Lilith?

Misato: Right. She can cause Third Impact. That's why you have to battle in Eva. That's why we do what we can. To protect humanity's future.

Shinji: But why do I have to go through painful things?

Misato: You don't need a reason. You decide your fate. But, Shinji-kun, you are not alone in fighting. Everyone is with you. *She holds his hand*

Shinji: ...I'll pilot it one more time.

(Shinji's line about Misato giving orders is similar to a line he has in the Manga in Volume 11: "Misato, you just safely give orders from the other side of the screen." Oh, and the line "You are not alone", albeit in Japanese, should be self-explanatory. ;) )

Before the battle when Rei and Shinji talk:

Rei: You won't die. I will protect you.

Shinji, to himself: I have nothing I can protect.

During the battle:

Misato, to Shinji: Please, believe in yourself.

Misato: I believe in Unit-01's Pilot, too.

Gendou: I leave it to you. Do whatever you want.

Misato: Shinji-kun.

Shinji: Yes.

Misato: We're going to give you Japan's energy one more time. Our hopes. Humanity's future. All life everywhere. Please, save it. Do your best.

Shinji: Yes.

Kaworu's last lines:

Kaworu: Number three again, huh? You still haven't changed. I look forward to meeting you, Ikari Shinji-kun.

("Number three" in this case references the fact Shinji's the Third Children.)

Truthfully, based on what I've translated so far, Shinji's behavior reminds me of a mixture of how he acted in both the Prologue Arc AND EoTV/EoE. *Shrugs* (Heh, he ended up right back to where he started?) Either way, Misato-sama kicks ass as always. ^_^

UrsusArctos

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:29 pm

Misato-sama? I thought only an Eva was worthy of the "sama" honorific.

That line from Kaworu is disputed. We don't know who the Third Angel is at all! He may not be speaking of the Third Children, but actually the Third Angel instead. Our Sachi-Kun is now Angel 4, remember?
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:47 pm

W... um... what's with "Ayanami Shinji" and "Ikari Rei"? O_o That in itself is interesting enough. So, Yui thought of the name "Ayanami"... where did it come from?

And apparently Kaworu has seen Shinji while he was the third children.

EDIT: Good jorb, Stardust; now translate the fucking Proposal before I explode!

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

Postby chee » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:56 pm

Oh Kaworu saw him alright. He lived next door...above a convienience store....he wanted to either be Shinji or kill him...FIRE WALK WITH ME.

Ahem.

I think we may be on to something with the whole "cyclical history" theory, given the above information provided to us by SSD.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:06 pm

@ UrsusArctos: OH SHI--

Seriously though, Kaworu-kun was talking about Shinji during that part of the scene. As evidenced by ending with "You still haven't changed" (using the familiar word for "you", "kimi") and then saying Shinji's name in the very next/last sentence. It would be strange from Kaworu to suddenly switch from talk about an Angel to suddenly talk about his "Shinji-kun" instead. Though you could be right. *Shrugs*

And where has it been said Sachi is NOT Angel number 3 and why haven't I been informed? ^^;

Oh, and I call Misato "Misato-sama" because she's portrayed by the one and only Mitsuishi Kotono. (But Ogata is made of all sorts of win, too. I actually think I've been developing a weird sort of crush on her lately. ^^; /Too Much Information?)

And I'd translate the Proposal if:

~I knew where it was

~My Kanji-fu wasn't so weak :cry:

Glad to know you guys like this. ^_^ But like I said, my translation IS incorrect in some spots, but at least it's better than nothing till we get a fansub and/or the real-deal released here.

@ NAveryW: "Good jorb, Hamstray"! ;)
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”